Being an Engineer for LIRR

Bruticus

I wondered if there were any MOS for LIRR on this site who are Engineers I was interested in going to LIRR at one time. How would you go about getting the certification to being a Locomotive Engineer ?

As soon as i read this i felt totally senile. A few years back i was going to apply for this job, but got side-tracked with drama.

I remember it's a pretty simple process, but i don't remember what the process is!:confused::eek:

I totally wish you luck and wish i could help more! LIRR rocks!

- Andy

Thanks this is the new job posting for the LIRR Eng if your interested by the way.

Job Title:

Long Island Rail Road Job

LIRR

Reference:

Job Information

JOB TITLE:

Locomotive Engineer

Transportation Department

Responsibilities

° Locomotive Engineers are responsible for the safe and efficient movement of trains.

° Required to qualify and remain qualified on the Rules of the Operating Dept., Timetable, Special Instructions and Physical Characteristics of the entire Railroad and Zone A (Amtrak) and Norac; Air Brake instructions and all equipment including MU, Diesel and Dual Mode.

° Control the movement of trains under all operating conditions as well as instruct and supervise Engineer Trainees.

° Road trouble-shooting of all equipment and perform safety checks and tests before starting trips.

° Maintain customer safety and comfort at all times.

° Work effectively with all team members, especially train crews.

Qualifications

° Must demonstrate high motivation and initiative.

° Must possess strong customer service and communication skills.

° Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.

Preferred/Desirable Skills/Qualifications:

° Successful completion of the LIRR's "Introduction to Operations Rules & Procedures" Training class (Basic Skills).

° Prior supervisory or leadership experience. Demonstrated mechanical/electrical background.

° College degree or some college credits.

Education and Experience

All applicants must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.

Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule

Rate of Pay 100% Rate - $35.189

Union Affiliation Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Trainmen (BLET)

Position Classification Covered Employee

We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:

- Full Medical Coverage

- Dental Coverage

- Vision Care

- Life Insurance

- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits

- Deferred Compensation

- Vacation/Personal Leave Days

- Transportation Pass Privileges

- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement

- Pension Plan

- In-house training seminars

Compensation Structure for Phase 2 of the Training Program (Includes Revisions)

a) Those who transfer to Locomotive Engineer Trainee from other LIRR positions will be compensated at the step of the wage progression rate (outlined in the chart on page 2) that is the next highest rate to the employee's current rate of pay. However, in no event shall an internal transfer Engineer Trainee be compensated at more than 90% of the Locomotive Engineer rate.

:P External hires into the Locomotive Engineer Trainee position will continue to be compensated at 70% of the 100% rate.

c) All who successfully complete the program, are promoted to Locomotive Engineer, and commence employment as a Locomotive Engineer will be compensated at 100% of the rate. Fully qualified Engineers, who maintain unrestricted certification licenses, will be allowed a ten-dollar ($10.00) certification allowance per tour of duty.

INCENTIVE PAYMENT (NEW)

1. Upon successful completion of Phase 1 and 2 of the Training program, promotion to Locomotive Engineer and commencement of service as a Locomotive Engineer, employees will receive a one-time lump sum equivalent to the hours they attended Phase 1 of the training program at $24.632 per hour.

2. In addition, upon promotion to Locomotive Engineer and commencement of service as a Locomotive Engineer, the employee will receive a one-time lump sum bonus payment of $3,500.

Other Information

Selection Process:

° All applicants will be required to participate in pre-employment testing. Candidates who pass the pre-employment exams and preliminary screening process will be invited to participate in a panel interview.

° All candidates must pass a physical abilities test to ensure ability to perform the job's essential functions.

° Candidates who pass this process and are selected will be invited to participate in the Engineer Trainee Program as outlined below.

°Opt Out Exam (new) - candidates who are partially qualified on the Rules of the Operating Department, Timetable, Special Instructions and/or Physical Characteristics, will have the option to take an exam to waive participation in Phase 1 of the Training program, if they successfully pass. Exam test and times will be determined.

Training Program:

Phase 1: Training consists of a minimum of six (6) weeks (revised/reduced) non-compensated training. Class days and times will be determined, in part, based on availability of class participants and instructors. For the duration of Phase 1, participating LIRR employees will remain in their current LIRR position and must attend training classes on their own time and NOT on company time. Phase 1 training will include quizzes and examinations, which must be passed in order to move on to the next phase of training.

Phase 2: Training consists of a minimum of 12 months full-time compensated training. Upon commencement of Phase 2, current LIRR employees will officially transfer to the position of Engineer Trainee. Phase 2 Training will include qualifying exams on the operating rules, physical characteristics of the LIRR Transportation Department, air brake, and train handling. Failure to obtain a passing grade on the mandatory exams will result in termination from the Training Program.

LIRR Employees: Wage Progression for Locomotive Engineer Trainees Transferring from Other Carrier Positions

70% - $24.632

75% - $26.392

80% - $28.151

85% - $29.910

90% - $31.670

The representatives of the Training & Transportation Departments and the Locomotive Engineer Review Board will evaluate applicants throughout the Program. Pre-established expectations and standards must be met in order to continue as a trainee. Successful completion of the Engineer Trainee Program is mandatory to commence employment as a Locomotive Engineer.

As per the "Filling of Represented" Corporate Policy & Procedure, employees selected for COP positions and revert to their former position for any reason (including during the probationary period) may not be considered for another position for two years after the date of their return to their former craft.

In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i. e. physical, written and/or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, satisfactory work history, including attendance, safety and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.

How To Apply

Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'Add Job to Basket' button then by clicking on the 'Job Basket' hyperlink. From the Job Basket page, click on the 'Apply for Jobs in Basket' button. If you have previously applied on line for other MTA positions, enter your E-mail address and password. If it is your first registration, click on the following hyperlink: 'Are you a new applicant? Click here to register'. You will need to provide an E-mail Address and Password. If you do not have an E-mail address, you can obtain one at no cost from various web mail providers (e.g., Yahoo.com, Hotmail.com, etc.)

Equal Employment Opportunity

The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.

Hmmm....awesome. But the requirements are quite the something.

If I ever wanted to become an engineer, I would start as a conductor and go up from there. It pays off. :P

You are right I may have to look into it you start off as the Asst. Conductor then go to Conductor.

I done sent a-many resumes to the L, to the I, to the double R. That would be my dream career, due to the pay. They ask for no experience, etc.....Second would be NJT. When I have been leaving Corona Yard, and getting to Queensboro Plaza, Bruticus, all I can do is look down, and wish I were operating one of those ALP 46, pulling those multi-level cars......LIRR, MNRR or NJT, would be ideal........

I want to work on the Real-road, all the live-long day.........

I done sent a-many resumes to the L, to the I, to the double R. That would be my dream career, due to the pay. They ask for no experience, etc.....Second would be NJT. When I have been leaving Corona Yard, and getting to Queensboro Plaza, Bruticus, all I can do is look down, and wish I were operating one of those ALP 46, pulling those multi-level cars......LIRR, MNRR or NJT, would be ideal........

(NJT) is hiring. Give em a call!

- Andy

I hear ya man. I always had a dream to be an engineer for NJT.

Railroad is the place to be.

Hope ya do end up working for the railroad one day.

It is very hard to become an engineer for the LIRR. When they first call you they interview you and then give you signals and definitions that you have to learn in about 1-2weeks. You have to get a 100% on the signals and 100% on the definitions. You have to copy the definitions word for word. Trust me the definitions are long. If you miss a word, phrase or use a different tense the definitions is considered wrong. If you pass this phase you are invited down to take the test to get into the trainee program. They give you a thick pamphelet with all 85 of their signals and 40 definitions and you get exactley 2 weeks to learn it on your own. You have to score a 100% on the signal portion. 5 of the signals are amtrak signals which confuses you a little. Then you have to learn all...all of the definitions word for word. IF you pass that then you are invited to their version of school car(non-paid). When I was going to go it was every wed. at 5 and all day Sat in the area closest to your instructor. You have to pass practicals weekly and a panel interview at the end to get your permit, and you have to draw the entire lirr system from memory including all stops,switches and signals. Then after a year you have to qualify again and pass a panel interview to get your engineer license. This is a hard process and in my case i couldnt retain all the information while having a full-time job and daughter running around.

It is very hard to become an engineer for the LIRR. When they first call you they interview you and then give you signals and definitions that you have to learn in about 1-2weeks. You have to get a 100% on the signals and 100% on the definitions. You have to copy the definitions word for word. Trust me the definitions are long. If you miss a word, phrase or use a different tense the definitions is considered wrong. If you pass this phase you are invited down to take the test to get into the trainee program. They give you a thick pamphelet with all 85 of their signals and 40 definitions and you get exactley 2 weeks to learn it on your own. You have to score a 100% on the signal portion. 5 of the signals are amtrak signals which confuses you a little. Then you have to learn all...all of the definitions word for word. IF you pass that then you are invited to their version of school car(non-paid). When I was going to go it was every wed. at 5 and all day Sat in the area closest to your instructor. You have to pass practicals weekly and a panel interview at the end to get your permit, and you have to draw the entire lirr system from memory including all stops,switches and signals. Then after a year you have to qualify again and pass a panel interview to get your engineer license. This is a hard process and in my case i couldnt retain all the information while having a full-time job and daughter running around.

Wow thanks for the info 1day that is alot of stuff to learn maybe it would be easier to become a conductor there first that way I can learn the signals. Just as I am doing now in NYCT I really wanna be on the RR someday hehe.

I thought you needed to have your locomotive eng license before you got the job ?

Also i heard that the manual for the P32's and FL9's are like 100 pages long!! Also i heard that to operate amtrak trains on the NEC you have too take an extra high speed rail test on top of the normal test. Btw has anybody tried to be an engineer for path or SIR?

Also i heard that the manual for the P32's and FL9's are like 100 pages long!! Also i heard that to operate amtrak trains on the NEC you have too take an extra high speed rail test on top of the normal test. Btw has anybody tried to be an engineer for path or SIR?

Well from what I was told you have to qualify on each train they have. Currently they have 3 types of locomotives in service, a diesel, electric and a dual locomotive(electric and diesel).And you dont operate amtrak trains its just when you pull into penn station a portion of that line is owned by amtrak so you have to understand their signaling. Their slow approach signal and advance approach signals are different.

Hmmm....awesome. But the requirements are quite the something.

If I ever wanted to become an engineer, I would start as a conductor and go up from there. It pays off. :D

Yeah its hard to come off the street if you already have a career to pay the bills to retain all of that information in such a short time. The people that were in my testing class that did will were the conductors because you have to learn all of the definitions for that title also, before your promoted from asst conductor to conductor. You have 1 year to pass their panel interview to get that promotion or your back on the street. It is worth it though thats the only mta title where you come in making scale, that still is my dream job and I hope it comes around to me again.

Well from what I was told you have to qualify on each train they have. Currently they have 3 types of locomotives in service, a diesel, electric and a dual locomotive(electric and diesel).And you dont operate amtrak trains its just when you pull into penn station a portion of that line is owned by amtrak so you have to understand their signaling. Their slow approach signal and advance approach signals are different.

I was talking about metro north with the P32/FL9 comment. I know LIRR engineneers don't operate amtrak equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yea 30 years is a long time lol man 25 years is just as long hehe man if the pension was better I tried to take the job.

Which is why I am hoping to get into DSNY. Retire after 20 yrs at half-pay+medical benefits. You will get a check every month for the rest of your life. It sure helps as you need to have several sources of income when you retire.

Which is why I am hoping to get into DSNY. Retire after 20 yrs at half-pay+medical benefits. You will get a check every month for the rest of your life. It sure helps as you need to have several sources of income when you retire.

When was the last test for them and yea I know what you mean my father was a firefighter hurt on 9-11. He got 3/4 pension he already had his 20 he wanted to stay a bit longer but couldn't once he was injured.

When was the last test for them and yea I know what you mean my father was a firefighter hurt on 9-11. He got 3/4 pension he already had his 20 he wanted to stay a bit longer but couldn't once he was injured.

The last DSNY exam was back on June 07,next one is going to be sometime in 2011. They usually put up the NOE in January. Your dad deserves every penny from his pension and more for being injured on 9/11.

Archived