Keeping It Moving In The City That Never Sleeps: Take two

realizm

Continuation of team effort with Daniel the Cool, this time around raiding the underground concrete jungle causing wreck on the BMT, IND and IRT:

wgwu.jpg

yyb9.jpg

sa7t.jpg

v782.jpg

elc6.jpg

wlsh.jpg

pavd.jpg

0ypk.jpg

rrhm.jpg

y8q4.jpg

jij8.jpg

p4b3.jpg

vriz.jpg

Pic somewhat related:

shvq.jpg

Ok so as we were saying: 

0ikv.jpg

qwu3.jpg

m4xm.jpg

fw8u.jpg

ifel.jpg

ireb.jpg

5e84.jpg

cujc.jpg

i8ij.jpg

p6im.jpg

p241.jpg

That wraps up both sessions on (MTA) Bus and (MTA) Subways. 

Good looks Daniel for the pointers and thanks everyone for viewing! 

~ realizm aka mqones

Yeah it's a bit tricky with adjusting shutter speeds on the Canons as compared to the Nikons. Learned that today. What I may need is to purchase a corrector lens for the Rebel DSLR to compensate. 600 dollars, its gonna hurt, but that should do the trick.

If I get it it would work better in underground situations

Yeah it's a bit tricky with adjusting shutter speeds on the Canons as compared to the Nikons. Learned that today. What I may need is to purchase a corrector lens for the Rebel DSLR to compensate. 600 dollars, its gonna hurt, but that should do the trick.

If I get it it would work better in underground situations

Say whaaat?! I smell a ripoff right there. 

There should be a shutter priority setting on the dial, then just select appropriate speed 1/160 - 1/250, I usually don't go lower.

Granted 18-55mm isn't the best deal out there, but its capable of doing great underground shots, then there are stations with bad lightning.

I'd also take a look at post-processing software as a way out, its magic I tell ya.

Yeah I'm learning it now actually, experimenting with it on manual mode. I'm starting to get it. Gotta continue practicing. Basically slow down the shutter speed to 1/60 underground, may have to up it to 1/250 or higher above ground. (Canon camera so that's why) Keep the image stabilizer off because it puts too much work on the firmware causing blurred shots. Daniel broke it down. 

All the photography mags I read and all I needed was one experienced photographer to tell me. I'm going tp try this on the WPR. Took pics already but gonna make a second run with the additional knowledge I gained from the dual effort.

This sounds reassuring. I'm not going to pay 600 bucks for an corrector lens unless I win the jackpot lol.

These DSLR cameras are tough to master

So yeah there's a shutter priority function just got to learn it to a tee

Yeah I'm learning it now actually, experimenting with it on manual mode. I'm starting to get it. Gotta continue practicing. Basically slow down the shutter speed to 1/60 underground, may have to up it to 1/250 or higher above ground. (Canon camera so that's why) Keep the image stabilizer off because it puts too much work on the firmware causing blurred shots. Daniel broke it down. 

All the photography mags I read and all I needed was one experienced photographer to tell me. I'm going tp try this on the WPR. Took pics already but gonna make a second run with the additional knowledge I gained from the dual effort.

This sounds reassuring. I'm not going to pay 600 bucks for an corrector lens unless I win the jackpot lol.

These DSLR cameras are tough to master

So yeah there's a shutter priority function just got to learn it to a tee

Just to clarify some details; the closer the train to you, the higher you shutter speed should be set. 1/60 is barely making it when the train is moving, you would see the other side getting blurry. I would actually keep the optical stabilization on as its built into the lens and doesn't affect the photography negatively under usual circumstances. With that said, photography, just like architecture is a work in progress, you get better as you practice, just don't get frustrated if you try something and it doesn't come out the way you expected it, next try would be better, on the 10th try you would master it.

Awesome Shots! You seem to be getting the desaturation down, 1st shot is amazing!

Thanks bro. Yeah after receiving suggestions, I basically went completely manual mode on these pics setting the aperture, shutter speed, while balance, ISO etc *on the fly* accordingly with each station keeping the image stabilizer off as it slows down the firmware then the camera itself as a consequence to minimize blurred, grainy or overexposed shots. Not perfect but I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

I love the last pic XD lucky nobody yelled at you!

True.

Usually all I get is curious straphangers (this is usually close to rush hour when if on a weekday I have that time window go hunting underground) asking innocently why I take photography in the subway. I remind them of the recent news article which discusses the couple who took pics of all 118 stations in the city and how the hobby is going viral on the net. The're basically like "cool!" No probs so far but I'm careful not to interrupt the straphangers, train crews or infrastructure workers. I'm particular about subway etiquette and avoiding suspicious behaving people who wander in the subway at the same time. (people looking for trouble and such...)

Many times got thumbs ups from train crews, T/Os and C/Rs alike. One female C/R offered to hold the train for a pic one time and called me a sweetheart. I told her not to wait on me, don't want her to have RCC or her TSS after her if something goes wrong because of a delay. Another time a T/O gave me a pound from the front cab after he took a look at the shot I made on the IND. Another time a T/O waved hi and caught it on camera (latest example in the Low V thread). Plenty of good experiences along with the bad. Its a tough hobby from the photographer end, particularly with subway phototaking vs with buses (busfanning is actually easier, subways, very challenging) lol.

Great moving in the city that never sleeps! (with THAT sight...)

Thanks!

Archived