Student MetroCard Express Bus Question

S79 Select bus servi

So today I used the S54 to catch the X10 at Schmidts La. The reader said INVALID CARD. I used a full fare 7-12 MetroCard. Is it because it is illegal to transfer LOCAL>XPRS ? Maybe because the cards have a $7.50 limit and i had already used $2.50 in the morning (leaving $5, $2.50 to use the S54 and unsufficient $2.50 (i need $3.50 to complete a transfer using a local bus). So what's going on?

Since when do Student MetroCards have cash value on them??  <_<

Student MetroCards are valid on SUBWAYS and LOCAL BUSES ONLY, NOT express buses and you get three rides.  After that you're cut off.  If you want to ride the express bus, you'll have to do so on your own dime at the $6.00 fare.

Your card said INVALID because you can't use it on the express bus.  If you had "insufficient fare", it would've stated "INSUFFICIENT FARE" right on the fare box and would've shown you how much you needed to pay to make up the difference.  So I'm assuming the driver didn't let you on with that card? I've seen that happen numerous times with people trying to use Unlimited Metrocards (the ones only valid for the local bus or subway) and they are told that they need an Express Bus Unlimited Metrocard as the regular ones are not accepted.

So today I used the S54 to catch the X10 at Schmidts La. The reader said INVALID CARD. I used a full fare 7-12 MetroCard. Is it because it is illegal to transfer LOCAL>XPRS ? Maybe because the cards have a $7.50 limit and i had already used $2.50 in the morning (leaving $5, $2.50 to use the S54 and unsufficient $2.50 (i need $3.50 to complete a transfer using a local bus). So what's going on?

As of 2010, Student Card's are not anymore available to be used on the express bus (before that, you had to enter in coins $2.50).

Now if you are a student taking the express bus, you have to pay the full fare.

As of 2010, Student Card's are not anymore available to be used on the express bus (before that, you had to enter in coins $2.50).

Now if you are a student taking the express bus, you have to pay the full fare.

Yeah when did Student passes ever have "cash value" on them? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I always recall them saying "PASS OK" when I had an (MTA) pass and also when I had a Student Metrocard.  Even if you work for the (MTA) as I did, your pass is not valid on the express bus.  Only on the local bus and subway.  

Yeah when did Student passes ever have "cash value" on them? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I always recall them saying "PASS OK" when I had an (MTA) pass and also when I had a Student Metrocard.  Even if you work for the (MTA) as I did, your pass is not valid on the express bus.  Only on the local bus and subway.  

Student Metrocard's used to be allowed on express buses.

However Student Passes can't have cash value on them.

The general rule was dip your metrocard then enter $2.50.

lol... $2.50?? But the fare was more than $2.50 when you deduct the standard fare away.  Makes sense to do away with it.  The (MTA) is already subsidizing students enough with the free Metrocards. If they want to ride in comfort, let them pay for it out of their own pocket and pay the full $6.00. <_<   I couldn't even ride the express bus like that when I worked for the (MTA) and had a pass.  I used the subway or local bus to and from work which was what my employee Metrocard pass allowed.

Just to clarify on S79's original post by "$7.50" I assume he was referring to the three rides, which if a cash value were attached would amount to $7.50.

Personally I was under the assumption he could complete his fare by inserting $2.50 into the farebox, but now I believe that isn't possible?

lol... $2.50?? But the fare was more than $2.50 when you deduct the standard fare away.  Makes sense to do away with it.  The (MTA) is already subsidizing students enough with the free Metrocards. If they want to ride in comfort, let them pay for it out of their own pocket and pay the full $6.00. <_<   I couldn't even ride the express bus like that when I worked for the (MTA) and had a pass.  I used the subway or local bus to and from work which was what my employee Metrocard pass allowed.

At that time the express bus fare was $5, so if it still was working today, it would've been $3 that one paid.

They have half-fare Metrocards for people living less than either a half or quarter mile for school, and I think they're only usable on buses. Not sure how many people have those, though.

It is now 1.5 mile and less to qualify for Student MetroCard Half Fare Bus Ride (Grades 7-12); 0.5 to 1 mile (Grades K-6).

1.5 Mile and more are qualified for 3-trip free fare Student MetroCard (Grades 7-12). 1 mile+ (grades K-6)

So disengenious...Some students only have a express bus as a option to get to and from school(X32),its not just they want comfort <_< (You deserve this not them)

Also some SMP DO have a money value ($7.50 a day)any more and you have to pay in coins on bus only $2.50,not valid on subways.

They have half-fare Metrocards for people living less than either a half or quarter mile for school, and I think they're only usable on buses. Not sure how many people have those, though.

I have one its green and says Half fare-Bus Only,Havent tested it yet but some other kids' half fare cards work in the subway :huh:

So disengenious...Some students only have a express bus as a option to get to and from school(X32),its not just they want comfort <_< (You deserve this not them)

The X32 was discontinued so that's a non-issue.    All students have schools that they're zoned to that don't require the express bus and if they so choose to go elsewhere then they should be the one paying for the express bus.  That's a premium service and not a necessity.  I can understand subsidizing the local bus and subway as that is a bit cheaper for the (MTA) but still costs them with regards to students, but subsidizing the express bus for students is a big no-no, especially since the (MTA) would lose a substantial amount in revenue from that set up, hence why they cut it in the first place.

Furthermore, we both know how many students actually do pay their fare and isn't many of them so having them pay the step up fare of $2.50 wouldn't yield much aside from more loses for the (MTA).

The X32 was discontinued so that's a non-issue.    All students have schools that they're zoned to that don't require the express bus and if they so choose to go elsewhere then they should be the one paying for the express bus.  That's a premium service and not a necessity.  I can understand subsidizing the local bus and subway, but subsidizing the express bus is a big no-no.

I agree with not every body but if a student's travel between home and school can be done by express bus then you should at least give only those students a 50% discount...

I agree with not every body but if a student's travel between home and school can be done by express bus then you should at least give only those students a 50% discount...

I think that's a bit much and unnecessary when the student has the option to travel to a zoned school that they can often take a local bus, subway or walk to. Hell, even the kids that go to private Catholic school don't take the express bus, unless they're going to a school out of their neighborhood say in the city, so why should kids in public school be so privileged to a premium service? I went to public school and I either walked or took the local bus.  They do run you know.

I think that's a bit much and unnecessary when the student has the option to travel to a zoned school that they can often take a local bus, subway or walk to. Hell, even the kids that go to private Catholic school don't take the express bus, unless they're going to a school out of their neighborhood say in the city, so why should kids in public school be so privileged to a premium service? I went to public school and I either walked or took the local bus.  They do run you know.

What Im saying is that Ok so there are zoned school but there others such as the speciaized schools.Just because they chose the Farther school doesnt mean the MTA should punish them for doing that PLUS THEY ARE A SERVICE PROVIDER which is what flies through your right ear and out the other.The MTA provides service not taking it away like that,when you have the proper attitude towards students and thier justified choices then you can propose ideas about student MetroCards.You offend all one million of us...

What Im saying is that Ok so there are zoned school but there others such as the speciaized schools.Just because they chose the Farther school doesnt mean the MTA should punish them for doing that PLUS THEY ARE A SERVICE PROVIDER which is what flies through your right ear and out the other.The MTA provides service not taking it away like that,when you have the proper attitude towards students and thier justified choices then you can propose ideas about student MetroCards.You offend all one million of us...

lol... Sorry but the (MTA) spends lots of money to provide you guys with school passes as it is and providing students with express bus service is even more expensive.  They are not assisted with those costs and they have to eat them, and that's why they cut the express bus program for students.  It's simply too expensive to supplement without anyone else chipping in.  Specialized schools are great, but maybe if the specialized schools want the students to go there that live further away, they should chip in for the transportation costs and then students can ride in the luxury of the express bus.  How does that sound?  ;)

lol... Sorry but the (MTA) spends lots of money to provide you guys with school passes as it is and providing students with express bus service is even more expensive.  They are not assisted with those costs and they have to eat them, and that's why they cut the express bus program for students.  It's simply too expensive to supplement without anyone else chipping in.  Specialized schools are great, but maybe if the specialized schools want the students to go there that live further away, they should chip in for the transportation costs and then students can ride in the luxury of the express bus.  How does that sound?  ;)

Now thats something I can agree with...

I didn't know there was a subway from SI to manhattan

(Someone said students can take bus or subway)

But yes, how about tax rich (I mean super rich) and then we can have more funding for schools. They can purchase metro cards for their students.

(The MTA can lose the payroll tax to balance the student metro are savings)

Anyways, XBUS isn't crowded

And how many students do u really think are going to take a bus from the outer boroughs to manhattan?

Think about the fact that subways are faster and most people live near subways

(I live in SI)

I didn't know there was a subway from SI to manhattan

(Someone said students can take bus or subway)

But yes, how about tax rich (I mean super rich) and then we can have more funding for schools. They can purchase metro cards for their students.

(The MTA can lose the payroll tax to balance the student metro are savings)

Anyways, XBUS isn't crowded

And how many students do u really think are going to take a bus from the outer boroughs to manhattan?

Think about the fact that subways are faster and most people live near subways

(I live in SI)

You sir are forgetting one of Staten Island's most valuable assets, The Staten Island Ferry.

Besides, what are you doing on a daily basis in Manhattan? Picking up some hashish in Downtown, blazing in MSG? Can't be anything good, LOL.

Archived