New Haven shut down- -

nostalgia

Maybe they could lend a few spare diesels from Amtrak and use that with the compromising couplers to pull a few M8's. Sure, it's not much but at least it'll up the TPH.

Amtrak is uses two back-to-back diesels to pull their trains through the dead zone. I don't know how many diesels they need. There's no reason for them to go to Penn. I guess they cutoff somewhere on the Hell Gate Line and wait for a trip going to New Haven.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they could lend a few spare diesels from Amtrak and use that with the compromising couplers to pull a few M8's. Sure, it's not much but at least it'll up the TPH.

Coincidentally, the same thing that happened on the NH happened in Rotterdam this afternoon. Electrical unit conspiracy? :P

Compromise couplers are for emergency/non-revenue moves only.  And almost all of Amtrak locomotives (with 18 exceptions)  aren't allowed in either GCT or NYP.  The trains that have been running with locomotives have had an electric one behind them.  At F interlocking, just before the tunnels, the diesel locos are cut off and the electric carries it through the tunnel.

Anyone know what the scene was like at GCT today? The disels I saw today looked filled but comfortable. Yesterday afternoon at Fordham, passengers pop out the train like a jack-in-the-box when the doors opened.

Although I don't completely agree with how the contigency plan in its entirety, Metro-North did a get job get all these services together in such a short amount of time.

Anyone know what the scene was like at GCT today? The disels I saw today looked filled but comfortable. Yesterday afternoon at Fordham, passengers pop out the train like a jack-in-the-box when the doors opened.

One of my trains was across the platform from the 3:10 to Stamford and it looked rather packed.

Speaking of Fordham, the best was when an M8 train set was used on a North White Plains local.  People that wanted to go to White Plains stepped back like they would be facing an uncertain death if they stepped foot on it.

@lirr42: I know about the GCT regulation. But who said I was talking about GCT? I never mentioned how they could be used. I was actually thinking of using 'em to pull M8's b/w Stamford and New Haven to add more TPH there for the moment.

The compromise coupler restriction has nothing to do with GCT.  I never said you were talking about GCT.  Compromise couplers are for non-revenue/emergency moves only.  No matter where you are.  You could be in Grand Central, in Bridgeport, or the middle or Kansas and you still won't be able to two M8's in revenue service.  Compromise couplers can't be used to tow trains in revenue service ever.

I'm just stunned that it may take 3 weeks to get this mess fixed.  As the Governor of Connecticut said, there was no "Act of God" in this situation so the (MTA) should be examining its refund policy for this huge inconvenience.  I am staying away from that mess until service is back to normal.

The mess doesn't effect you being on the Hudson.

As far as refund policy, why?  They are running trains.  Is it to the frequency that most are accustom to?  No, but they are running and they are cross honoring New Haven Line single ride tickets on the Harlem Line (Monthly commutation tickets have always been cross honored).

I will say I'm not a fan of the ticket refund policy.  If they wanted to attach a refund fee make it a % as opposed to a flat $10.  Why should some one with a ticket less than $10 not get any money when someone with a $400 commutation only get $10 subtracted.

The mess doesn't effect you being on the Hudson.

As far as refund policy, why?  They are running trains.  Is it to the frequency that most are accustom to?  No, but they are running and they are cross honoring New Haven Line single ride tickets on the Harlem Line (Monthly commutation tickets have always been cross honored).

I will say I'm not a fan of the ticket refund policy.  If they wanted to attach a refund fee make it a % as opposed to a flat $10.  Why should some one with a ticket less than $10 not get any money when someone with a $400 commutation only get $10 subtracted.

I still have to go through GCT, so as far as I'm concerned, it does affect me.

As for the refund policy, it's about customer service and quality of service. When you go out to eat and you receive poor service, do you not complain and request some sort of complimentary service?    

I think the refunds ridiculousness is absurd.  As Mr. Truckie said, they're still providing service.  Monthly commutation passes are already heavily discounted.  I said this with the Hudson Line derailment, if you don't want to assume the risk of being 'cheated' out of the service you pay for, buy one ways ever day.  You'll end up paying almost double per month...

As for the refund policy, it's about customer service and quality of service. When you go out to eat and you receive poor service, do you not complain and request some sort of complimentary service?    

There is absolutely no reason why they should give refunds to anyone, let alone somebody who's service is not even affected by the disruption!  So what if Grand Central's crowded?  You live in New York!  Everything's crowded.  If you get poor service at a restaurant you don't go back to that restaurant.  Don't like Metro-North's service? Don't take Metro-North!  Nobody forces you.  Drive to Manhattan everyday and see how fun that is.

I think the refunds ridiculousness is absurd.  As Mr. Truckie said, they're still providing service.  Monthly commutation passes are already heavily discounted.  I said this with the Hudson Line derailment, if you don't want to assume the risk of being 'cheated' out of the service you pay for, buy one ways ever day.  You'll end up paying almost double per month...

There is absolutely no reason why they should give refunds to anyone, let alone somebody who's service is not even affected by the disruption!  So what if Grand Central's crowded?  You live in New York!  Everything's crowded.  If you get poor service at a restaurant you don't go back to that restaurant.  Don't like Metro-North's service? Don't take Metro-North!  Nobody forces you.  Drive to Manhattan everyday and see how fun that is.

I'm not talking about me getting a refund genius.  I'm talking about the New Haven riders and what the Governor of Connecticut stated.  I'm saying that I agree with him.  

Meanwhile, Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy called on Metro-North to offer refunds to customers affected by the New Haven Line disruption.  Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said the railroad would not offer refunds.

“There’s no refunds,” Anders said. “We didn’t refund during Sandy, we’re not going to refund now.”

Source: http://www.lohud.com/article/20130926/NEWS02/309260036/Metro-North-New-Haven-Line-disruptions-Amtrak-offers-refunds-CT-gov-calls-MTA-do-same-videos-social-media-?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CNew%20Rochelle,%20New%20York%7Cp

And yes, as I stated earlier, I'm not riding Metro North until this mess is cleared up.

Meanwhile Amtrak IS offering refunds:

Amtrak on Thursday said it will offer refunds or vouchers for future travel to its passengers who change their plans because of the train disruptions. Trips on Amtrak between New York and Boston were running as much as 90 minutes late because of the power problems, and Acela Express trains are out of service.

Source: http://www.lohud.com/article/20130926/NEWS02/309260036/Metro-North-New-Haven-Line-disruptions-Amtrak-offers-refunds-CT-gov-calls-MTA-do-same-videos-social-media-?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CNew%20Rochelle,%20New%20York%7Cp

I don't see why the (MTA) thinks that they shouldn't offer any.  Sandy was a natural disaster.  This situation is completely inexcusable and someone should be held accountable for it.

Sometime during the summer, one track was out of service for the capital project in the Bronx. Right around the PM rush, a portion of the north-bound track broke and left 2 lines with just two tracks. No one was asking for refunds when trains were bypassing Fordham completely for hours. Now, that situation isn't of the same magnitude, however things like this happen and the term inexcusable, in my opinion, is a bit excessive.

Sometime during the summer, one track was out of service for the capital project in the Bronx. Right around the PM rush, a portion of the north-bound track broke and left 2 lines with just two tracks. No one was asking for refunds when trains were bypassing Fordham completely for hours. Now, that situation isn't of the same magnitude, however things like this happen and the term inexcusable, in my opinion, is a bit excessive.

Oh please.  This is a completely different situation that could last for another three weeks or longer!  That is indeed inexcusable in my book, as well as in the Governor's book because it shows that ConEd and the (MTA) for that matter were unprepared and are unprofessional.  They have a responsibility and an obligation to the public to prepare better so as not to have problems like this occur.  If we continue to allow them to run whatever service they want without demanding better service, well then the service may just continue to deteriorate.  The subway is a prime example of that, as service becomes worse each year while fares continue to increase.  They know that this city relies upon them to move people around due to the density of New York City, so their job is to first avoid these things in the first place, but second, get service restored quickly, especially for what they are charging these people.  They're demanding premium prices with subpar service.

I beg to differ with the comparisons. You're painting this picture of complete disaster that we'll never recover from. I'm pretty sure this problem will be solved in a far shorter time than estimated.

Things fail.

It wasn't me or the Governor that gave that time frame.  It was the (MTA) and ConEd.  Yes, things fail but not having a backup system in place is the problem here.  

I honestly could care less since it doesn't affect the Hudson Line, as long as none of those folks go driving over to our line.

And yes, as I stated earlier, I'm not riding Metro North until this mess is cleared up.

This situation is completely inexcusable and someone should be held accountable for it.

So which is it?  Does it or does it not affect you????

As far as the situation, I think the blame would have to be on those that dug up the cable.  If it was Con Ed, is it Metro North's fault?

Yes, things fail but not having a backup system in place is the problem here.  

There is a backup system but unfortunately it was being upgraded.

As far as the problem being solved there are plans to run test trains tomorrow as there may be a temporary solution.  They won't know until it either works or doesn't as this set up has never been tried before.

So which is it?  Does it or does it not affect you????

As far as the situation, I think the blame would have to be on those that dug up the cable.  If it was Con Ed, is it Metro North's fault?

As long as I'm not in Grand Central it doesn't. I've been using the good old express bus so no problems here.  :D I know one thing... If I had a monthly MNRR pass I would be pissed right about now if I was using the New Haven Line.  For now I've stuck with my weekly unlimited express bus pass and buying MNRR tickets as needed.

As far as the situation goes, I think the blame should be on ConEd first and foremost and the (MTA) as well.  What sort of back up plan would they have if the entire MNRR system was affected? 

As long as I'm not in Grand Central it doesn't. I've been using the good old express bus so no problems here.  :D I know one thing... If I had a monthly MNRR pass I would be pissed right about now if I was using the New Haven Line.  For now I've stuck with my weekly unlimited express bus pass and buying MNRR tickets as needed.

As far as the situation goes, I think the blame should be on ConEd first and foremost and the (MTA) as well.  What sort of back up plan would they have if the entire MNRR system was affected?

Blame doesn't solve nothing. There is a FIRST time everything and this is the first time this happened. You cannot prepare for something you can't see or have knowledge of for the future. It could of been much worse like in the dead of winter and snow drifts covering the system.

Archived