New Haven shut down- -

nostalgia

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so then tell me how the new trains that they're buying and the parking lots are helping with the current New Haven situation?  <_<

It was in response to your message that the MTA isn't trying to improve service. I now understand why other posters write that you love to complain.

It was in response to your message that the MTA isn't trying to improve service. I now understand why other posters write that you love to complain.

No, that wasn't my message at all.  My comment was with regards to the current New Haven situation, NOT service in general, as the new trains and parking lots can't do anything to alleviate the current problems with the New Haven issue.

Oh please.  This is a completely different situation that could last for another three weeks or longer!  That is indeed inexcusable in my book, as well as in the Governor's book because it shows that ConEd and the (MTA) for that matter were unprepared and are unprofessional.  They have a responsibility and an obligation to the public to prepare better so as not to have problems like this occur.  If we continue to allow them to run whatever service they want without demanding better service, well then the service may just continue to deteriorate.  The subway is a prime example of that, as service becomes worse each year while fares continue to increase.  They know that this city relies upon them to move people around due to the density of New York City, so their job is to first avoid these things in the first place, but second, get service restored quickly, especially for what they are charging these people.  They're demanding premium prices with subpar service.

Oh please. The current situation is just an extremely bad example of Murphy's Law. It just so happens that their alternate feeder is down for maintenance and upgrades. Now, you could obviously say that they could have three feeder lines feeding the New Haven Line, but hindsight is 20/20, and that's a lot of extra maintenance cost that only comes in handy during these very specific times.

This also seems to be a problem on Con Edison's part, and not the MNRR, so unless you're suggesting that the MNRR create its own power generation system (lots of $$$), this isn't exactly MNRR's fault. It's not like Con Ed is the holy grail of excellent service and customer satisfaction.

I would also like to point out that while this is a bad situation, this is not nearly as bad as the NJT situation post-Sandy. "Hey, let's park a third of our fleet in a low-lying flood zone! That'll do it!"

You know what would help the current situation? Not much more than what is being done.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, there are so many spare diesel train sets sitting around for situations like this. What would happen is they aren't making any money sitting still and the powers to be would use them for expanded service. After all there are some communities that deserve having 4 trains an hour. Regardless, then we'd be back at square one.

The moment it hits the fan is the hardest. Current equiptment and crews are already committed. If there was equipment available, finding crews would be difficut as most that aren't working would not be properly rested to work. Getting trains from other carriers would be virtually impossibleas they don't have trains that can run on the territory nor could their crews. Calling in buses would be an option but what companies are going to have busses available at a moments notice?

I personally can't think of any other options.

Oh please. The current situation is just an extremely bad example of Murphy's Law. It just so happens that their alternate feeder is down for maintenance and upgrades. Now, you could obviously say that they could have three feeder lines feeding the New Haven Line, but hindsight is 20/20, and that's a lot of extra maintenance cost that only comes in handy during these very specific times.

This also seems to be a problem on Con Edison's part, and not the MNRR, so unless you're suggesting that the MNRR create its own power generation system (lots of $$$), this isn't exactly MNRR's fault. It's not like Con Ed is the holy grail of excellent service and customer satisfaction.

I would also like to point out that while this is a bad situation, this is not nearly as bad as the NJT situation post-Sandy. "Hey, let's park a third of our fleet in a low-lying flood zone! That'll do it!"

Oh please.  This was not a "natural disaster" so let's leave Sandy out of this.   <_<  More like poor planning. 

You know what would help the current situation? Not much more than what is being done.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, there are so many spare diesel train sets sitting around for situations like this. What would happen is they aren't making any money sitting still and the powers to be would use them for expanded service. After all there are some communities that deserve having 4 trains an hour. Regardless, then we'd be back at square one.

The moment it hits the fan is the hardest. Current equiptment and crews are already committed. If there was equipment available, finding crews would be difficut as most that aren't working would not be properly rested to work. Getting trains from other carriers would be virtually impossibleas they don't have trains that can run on the territory nor could their crews. Calling in buses would be an option but what companies are going to have busses available at a moments notice?

I personally can't think of any other options.

As for trains: I agree, although it would've been an option to extend some rush hour SLE trains at least to somewhere like Fordham so people could use SLE and then transfer to the subway or express bus at Fordham. No crew problem either because rush hour SLE trains already use scheduled MNRR crew.

As for buses: Bee-Line probably has some spare buses. It doesn't solve the problem but it could help some commuters out, especially ones that need to be in the area.

Well Stamford-Rye service power restored and use of electric trains on that portion Borrowing from multiple cities electric poles for use on the railroad. 50% of service restored. Full article here http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Metro-North-pins-hopes-on-temporary-power-solution-4853051.php

Power between Stamford and Harrison was never disrupted in the first place, and they've been running MU's Stamford-Rye all week.  The disruption is from the changeover to the phase break west of Harrison.  That section has had limited power restored.  They ran some test trains yesterday and are expecting to get a couple MU's through tomorrow.

As for trains: I agree, although it would've been an option to extend some rush hour SLE trains at least to somewhere like Fordham so people could use SLE and then transfer to the subway or express bus at Fordham. No crew problem either because rush hour SLE trains already use scheduled MNRR crew.

SLE's Mafersa coaches are restricted to 20 m.p.h. in thrid-rail territory due to clearance issues.

@lirr42: I don't see why restricted speed is an issue. Any extra service is welcome.

It's more of a safety issue.  There are ground clearance issues with the third rail in a bunch of spots. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be inside a large metal box that has its bottom bumping against the electrified third rail every now and then.  Zap!

And.... as per today's press release, Metro North is trying to put together some sort of refund/exchange for weekly/monthly commutation passes.

I suspect that this would be for New Haven Line only. Not for the people inconvenienced on the Hudson by having a few more people on their train.

And.... as per today's press release, Metro North is trying to put together some sort of refund/exchange for weekly/monthly commutation passes.

It's hard to say no when the governor of the state that's paying 2/3 of your costs asks for it.

Also, MNR is touting that a special schedule is available, only to have their "weekday" link lead to Friday's schedule.

@lirr42: I didn't mean the fact that there is a clearance issue, I meant the fact that I'd rather have service at restricted speed in times like these. Any train is welcome in such a situation. At least with restricted speed you're going somewhere and it frees up space too in the other trains.

Based on the wording of the MTA website, in addition to having your NH line ticket honored on any Metro-North train, looks like they'll also be honored at the (4)(B)(D) at 161 Street and the (6) at Pelham Bay, yet it doesnt say if tickets would be honored at Grand Central/125 for subway service.

Hope the guys and gals at NYCT are informed of this if this is true.

I suspect that this would be for New Haven Line only. Not for the people inconvenienced on the Hudson by having a few more people on their train.

Hahaha... Very funny... When I said a refund should be given I was referring to those on the New Have line only.  

Archived