The last B44 Limited, EVER!

Rick44

Nice shots, but I have an odd feeling it'll be back, eventually.

why? if the LTD is brought back to replace the SBS then there will be no decent alternative for an (intending) IRT Nostrand rider waiting for a (2) or (3) to come back from the city or Downtown Brooklyn during the times that the (5) is not running to Flatbush when the next (2) is 16+ minutes away (and delayed and overcrowded) and 8+ minutes behind the next (3). the explanation is that with the B44 SBS it will make sense, both time-wise and for the purpose of avoiding heavy crowds, to take a (3) to a B44 SBS and then go wherever one needs to go if the next train to show up is a (3) and is due in a few minutes while the next (2) is like 8-10+ minutes behind its (3) leader (and a total of 16+ minutes away). the B44 LT is not helpful in such a situation because it is not quick enough unless practically nobody is getting on or off it between Empire and "H" and the bus gets up to ~30 mph at some point between every pair of stops on that section of Nostrand. basically it has to be a 13-minute ride on the bus from Empire to "H" and no more than about 10 minutes making the transfer from the (3) at Nostrand/E Pkwy to the B44 LT/SBS at Empire (not St. John's unless neither the previous nor next LT/SBS bus are anywhere in sight when looking north and south on Nostrand from E Pkwy or the next LT/SBS bus is visible and a person knows s/he can reach St. John's in time to board the bus without having to cross E Pkwy against the do not walk signal).

on a side note, I hope anybody who opposes the B44 SBS is aware of this very important fact.

why? if the LTD is brought back to replace the SBS then there will be no decent alternative for an (intending) IRT Nostrand rider waiting for a (2) or (3) to come back from the city or Downtown Brooklyn during the times that the (5) is not running to Flatbush when the next (2) is 16+ minutes away (and delayed and overcrowded) and 8+ minutes behind the next (3). the explanation is that with the B44 SBS it will make sense, both time-wise and for the purpose of avoiding heavy crowds, to take a (3) to a B44 SBS and then go wherever one needs to go if the next train to show up is a (3) and is due in a few minutes while the next (2) is like 8-10+ minutes behind its (3) leader (and a total of 16+ minutes away). the B44 LT is not helpful in such a situation because it is not quick enough unless practically nobody is getting on or off it between Empire and "H" and the bus gets up to ~30 mph at some point between every pair of stops on that section of Nostrand. basically it has to be a 13-minute ride on the bus from Empire to "H" and no more than about 10 minutes making the transfer from the (3) at Nostrand/E Pkwy to the B44 LT/SBS at Empire (not St. John's unless neither the previous nor next LT/SBS bus are anywhere in sight when looking north and south on Nostrand from E Pkwy or the next LT/SBS bus is visible and a person knows s/he can reach St. John's in time to board the bus without having to cross E Pkwy against the do not walk signal).

on a side note, I hope anybody who opposes the B44 SBS is aware of this very important fact.

Perhaps your interpretation was a bit literal.

Call me out if you like but I think the Select Bus Service brand in a decade or two's time will fade away and cease to exist.

Perhaps your interpretation was a bit literal.

Call me out if you like but I think the Select Bus Service brand in a decade or two's time will fade away and cease to exist.

oh. I thought you meant they would get rid of the off-board payment, bus lanes, and so on and turn the SBS back into an LTD. but that would make little sense and I had the wrong idea. sorry about that.

if the branding fades away that is not really a problem to me. it is just a name. it is also annoying to say in normal conversations (full name or SBS abbreviation); I do not like using the term in normal conversations unless I have to say it to distinguish an SBS from a local or whatever.

Well that sucks i hope the SBS sees an RTS at some point

Doubtful, there'd have to be a major issue or shortage of buses before they send anything but an artic on that line. That said was in the area today and saw a handful of B44sbs buses before I saw a B44 local. I just wonder how bad it is on the locals now especially stops like avs L and R that now have to take it.

Archived