Upcoming Classes for Upcoming Conductor (C/R) and Train Operator (T/O) Exams

+Young+

So as we all know, the exams for NYC Transit civil service positions are given every four years.

There was a Bus Operator Exam administered in 2008(http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808006000.pdf), and then there were two other exams four years later in 2012 (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/2613.pdf) and 2013 (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf) respectively.

From looking at the Archived Notice of Examinations, the last Conductor exams was given in 2008 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdfhttp://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808557000.pdf) and the last Train Operator exams were given in 2009 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf and http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808562000.pdf). The year is now 2013 (and pretty soon 2014), therefore this means that NYC Transit will soon be publishing Notice of Examinations for these positions!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....Anybody who pays for this is a fool...Or this is some kind of joke thread!

lol. By the looks of how many ppl failed the last bus operator exam a lot of ppl that don't know NYC & don't have they Cdl license should take the class.

According to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36428-track-worker-exam-no-3600/page-2 (posts #12 & 18), someone else attended their classes and said that it was very helpful and you should benefit from their classes. Therefore, the choice is yours my friend...

Uh i started in 2001 from off the street.....

I used *common Sense*  and reading comprehension with the test..

Im talking RTO here now.

12 Years  moving the trains and counting.

You can pay the money if you want,the choice is yours....

As you were Young One..

BTW im Still Laughing at this.....

If you gotta pay to take a class to learn how to operate a train you shouldn't be operating a train... SMH at this stupid thread.

Remember some people are terrible at taking exams of any ilk. No matter how many times they are told this isn't necessary and it's overkill, if it makes them feel any better then it's ok.

You're not going to learn how to comprehend the English language in a day.

That's the reason most people fail this test..is because a lot of people are just the unwashed masses looking for a job, and they can't read or write, let alone pass a drug test (if they get that far), and let alone operate a train.

It's actually a good thing that these people fail, because you wouldn't want them in charge of your safety (or anyone else's), and no one day class is going to teach them how to fool the system enough that they are literate, when, in fact, they are not.

When these people slip through the cracks (and every once in a while they do), it's bad for the job when they have incidents, attitude problems, and otherwise blemish the once prestigious job of motorman/train operator/conductor. It's not as easy as it looks, and frankly people who can't comprehend what they read, or do basic math, do NOT belong down here because these are skills train operators and conductors use daily.

No one day class is going to teach these people all those things!!! It will just take their money, and if they're not weeded out by the test, they'll be weeded out somewhere else along the line. Guaranteed.

If you read each question carefully, MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS, answer the question in front of you with ONLY the best possible answer that is in front of you, and carefully check your work, you should have no problem getting at least a 94 on any of these tests, which historically has been the lowest score "guaranteed" to get called up to come on down for the drug test (I put guaranteed in quotes because nothing is ever guaranteed, but 94's always seem to get called).

Remember some people are terrible at taking exams of any ilk. No matter how many times they are told this isn't necessary and it's overkill, if it makes them feel any better then it's ok.

Yet this is a kind of job where "common sense" trumps a lot of the Book sense... 

You're not going to learn how to comprehend the English language in a day.

That's the reason most people fail this test..is because a lot of people are just the unwashed masses looking for a job, and they can't read or write, let alone pass a drug test (if they get that far), and let alone operate a train.

It's actually a good thing that these people fail, because you wouldn't want them in charge of your safety (or anyone else's), and no one day class is going to teach them how to fool the system enough that they are literate, when, in fact, they are not.

When these people slip through the cracks (and every once in a while they do), it's bad for the job when they have incidents, attitude problems, and otherwise blemish the once prestigious job of motorman/train operator/conductor. It's not as easy as it looks, and frankly people who can't comprehend what they read, or do basic math, do NOT belong down here because these are skills train operators and conductors use daily.

No one day class is going to teach these people all those things!!! It will just take their money, and if they're not weeded out by the test, they'll be weeded out somewhere else along the line. Guaranteed.

If you read each question carefully, MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS, answer the question in front of you with ONLY the best possible answer that is in front of you, and carefully check your work, you should have no problem getting at least a 94 on any of these tests, which historically has been the lowest score "guaranteed" to get called up to come on down for the drug test (I put guaranteed in quotes because nothing is ever guaranteed, but 94's always seem to get called).

Its funny you mentioned 'guaranteed".

Some folks thought that getting in  and passing Schoolcar meant they was guaranteed a Job..

Looks like they was wrong..... :(  :(  :(

Yet this is a kind of job where "common sense" trumps a lot of the Book sense... 

Its funny you mentioned 'guaranteed".

Some folks thought that getting in  and passing Schoolcar meant they was guaranteed a Job..

Looks like they was wrong..... :(  :(  :(

Every time I leave my trusty cubbie hole behind and hit the streets for work (every day), within the first 15 minutes I begin to notice that "sense" or "faculty" or "aptitude" and what have you, isn't quite so common. In fact, using the term "common sense" is much much more common than the actual fact.

And let's not mistake not having common sense with being dealt a bad hand, bad luck or mistakenly taking the wrong path in life. Those things can happen to you but common sense is attained, developed and polished by being an ADULT and it's taking a lot of people waaaaaay too many years to become one. Plus, the game is rigged so that one stays a child and never sees what's important. It's like when one of my friends decides to buy a new  incredibly marked up Ps4 with COD Ghosts and then can's pay his child support or his rent. Or when Mary a total pro on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and a host of other defunct or current social media apps  on her phone keeps calling me asking me how to get somewhere, completely disregarding Google maps like it doesn't exist.

Or like when the 400 pound guy on the bus wants to sit between two riders like there's no harm done and no one will be squished then gets into an argument. Or like when the train is jacked packed full with everything but oxygen in it and one young lady takes up two chairs, one for her and one for her small grocery bag with a half gallon of milk and a small box of Kraft mac & cheese. Or when people think they cute and contemporary watching full length movies or video games on a 10 inch Ipad on the bus with the volume turned all the way up and possibly extra bluetooth speakers to crank it up, cuz you know it can get noisy in a crowded moving bus, did I mention what happens with cell phones? as people board crowded buses yappin along not even noticing the metrocard is being inserted the wrong way or in the coin slot and then the driver needs to help out. How bout the fact they sometimes stand next to the driver yapping along pushing, shoving and being in the way with their large backpack full of possibly useless stuff like loose rubber-bands distracting the driver of an M98 bus on a dam highway. God forbid anyone asks to keep the noise level down, then you have to get into a shouting match. How bout the heavyweight that comes in stinking up the bus/train with a bucket of KFC and a quart of hot sauce scarfin down chicken and then throwing the bones behind the chairs in the back of the bus and the rest of the packaging and garbage beneath the chair, cuz you know he wouldn't want someone to slip on that stuff. A few decades ago when modern society began it's downward spiral they started telling people to believe in themselves and not worry about what anyone else thinks of them, apparently some people took it the wrong way.

So guys quit acting like common sense is common and let these people take these classes and find out the hard way, then get weeded out by Transit anyway.

For whoever is interested in employment in any field or any job- If there are classes available and you have the time and money to take them and feel it may give you a better edge then by all means do so.

Don't pay any attention to the above posters. Obviously being a Train Operator gives their life meaning and purpose and they have nothing better do then insult those wanting the same or who aren't in RTO.

They may just be angry that for as smart as they are the best they could get was a job based on a multiple choice test and a waiting list.

For whoever is interested in employment in any field or any job- If there are classes available and you have the time and money to take them and feel it may give you a better edge then by all means do so.

Don't pay any attention to the above posters. Obviously being a Train Operator gives their life meaning and purpose and they have nothing better do then insult those wanting the same or who aren't in RTO.

They may just be angry that for as smart as they are the best they could get was a job based on a multiple choice test and a waiting list.

Angry?? I'm laughing at you really I am. I'm stating my opinion nothing more.

My issue is the RTO can you comprehend that? Any other title I can understand. Promos I can understand. We had a nice chat about this on Facebook this link is there so my fellow RTO folks can see how smart you are..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eeerr no one is insulting anyone here. I think RTOMan was only trying to illustrate how foolish it is for someone to pay for training in order to do well in the exam, Once you take one of these RTO exams you do realize that TA is just trying to figure out whether or not you can read and comprehend most of the stuff you are reading. There isn't anything hardcore in it, especially for Conductor, just a bunch of common knowledge. As a matter of fact now that I think about this a little more those classes are more of a waste of time than I though because they wont teach you reading comprehension, common knowledge or common sense and possibly not even proper exam taking skills in the short amount of time you are with them. They instead assume or trick you into thinking about a whole slew of things you wont need to worry about when the exam comes along. Fact is if anyone can give anybody somewhat proper advice onto how to get into Transit, it's someone in Transit.

eeerr no one is insulting anyone here. I think RTOMan was only trying to illustrate how foolish it is for someone to pay for training in order to do well in the exam, Once you take one of these RTO exams you do realize that TA is just trying to figure out whether or not you can read and comprehend most of the stuff you are reading. There isn't anything hardcore in it, especially for Conductor, just a bunch of common knowledge. As a matter of fact now that I think about this a little more those classes are more of a waste of time than I though because they wont teach you reading comprehension, common knowledge or common sense and possibly not even proper exam taking skills in the short amount of time you are with them. They instead assume or trick you into thinking about a whole slew of things you wont need to worry about when the exam comes along. Fact is if anyone can give anybody somewhat proper advice onto how to get into Transit, it's someone in Transit.

He works for Transit..... Track Foreman..

So go Figure.. Smh...

That was my point exactly.

If you can afford the class then take it. The open competitive is just reading comprehension, no "transit" knowledge needed. Just make sure the class focuses on how to extract pertinent info from the paragraph based upon the questions. I'm a new member here but from the posts I've read the "regulars" on this board seem intent on instilling the fear of the " Mighty RTO" in the people trying to get on the job. Some are young kids who have dreamed of this their whole life just for some train op who came out a few months ago to crush their spirits. Why?

If you gotta pay to take a class to learn how to operate a train you shouldn't be operating a train... SMH at this stupid thread.

There Xentor is the insult. Calling it a stupid thread!

The person takes the time to pass along something they are aware of that may be of interest to others and is hammered for it.

Give your opinion but don't insult the person for their post which all RTOMAN seems to know how to do.

(B)y (T)he (W)ay RTOMAN thank you for knowing I know what SMH means.

I'm surprised you didn't it type it the way you do when talking about trains. If the other RTO persons you talk to can't read the letter "E"

or "W" and know what train you are talking about then typing (e)cho or (w)hiskey isn't going to help them much either, LOLOLOLOLOL

I posted some of your posts on the MOW Facebook page (similar to RTO Family) and everyone fell over laughing. We now speak like that on tracks for fun. We love you 90 day wonders!

I don't remember if it was you or RTOPRO who had commented of my post of the switch overrun at 207st. (that and more is on the MOW FB page) about what it can do to the publics opinion of MTA workers but if it was you- think of how your snide and sarcastic remarks to other rail fans only proves their negative opinions. Also, to helps to re-enforce how RTO is one of the most vain departments in Transit.

The person takes the time to pass along something they are aware of that may be of interest to others and is hammered for it.

Give your opinion but don't insult the person for their post which all RTOMAN seems to know how to do.

I'm surprised you didn't it type it the way you do when talking about trains. If the other RTO persons you talk to can't read the letter "E"

or "W" and know what train you are talking about then typing (e)cho or (w)hiskey isn't going to help them much either, LOLOLOLOLOL

I posted some of your posts on the MOW Facebook page (similar to RTO Family) and everyone fell over laughing. We now speak like that on tracks for fun. We love you 90 day wonders!

I don't remember if it was you or RTOPRO who had commented of my post of the switch overrun at 207st. (that and more is on the MOW FB page) about what it can do to the publics opinion of MTA workers but if it was you- think of how your snide and sarcastic remarks to other rail fans only proves their negative opinions. Also, to helps to re-enforce how RTO is one of the most vain departments in Transit.

It is a Stupid thread its my opinion now, calling somebody stupid for doing it that's an insult.

You still cant comprehend that it seems,did you read the title to the thread?

Its OK though you really haven't addressed the issue regarding the real reason why i said what i said.

You  just used gooble dee gook and sad attempt's at insulting but that's OK too.

90 day wonders? No idea what that means(Guess its a track thing) im down here 12 years,but that's OK too you keep laughing and please keep replying.

Speaking of that derailment thread i heard certain folks was very happy to see a supervisor post something like that here.

I really can go on and on over this but somebody told me its not worth it so i wont. This person is on the Site too who seen your reply's as well,its not a regular poster too so don't even try to figure out who it is, all you need to know is said person is not an hourly and said person works down here and wears a pass around the neck when said person is on the clock.

You keep on LOL"ing though if you so choose....

Oh and BTW if you have something to say please say it to me here thanks, don't use that childish Inbox crap like you did before(that got more laughs from others)that's for kids.

I think about if it warrants a response(Most likely probably wont judging by this post im replying to).

What does the R in C/R stand for?

Good question, I think it stands for "revenue" but Im not entirely sure.

It is a strong and heavy opinion, but I'm sure more people will appreciate it than not. In order to satisfy people I understand those classes usually concentrate on things you might likely encounter during schoolcar and not on the actual entrance exam which is what people worry about in the beginning.

It is a Stupid thread its my opinion now, calling somebody stupid for doing it that's an insult.

You still cant comprehend that it seems,did you read the title to the thread?

Its OK though you really haven't addressed the issue regarding the real reason why i said what i said.

You  just used gooble dee gook and sad attempt's at insulting but that's OK too.

90 day wonders? No idea what that means(Guess its a track thing) im down here 12 years,but that's OK too you keep laughing and please keep replying.

Speaking of that derailment thread i heard certain folks was very happy to see a supervisor post something like that here.

I really can go on and on over this but somebody told me its not worth it so i wont. This person is on the Site too who seen your reply's as well,its not a regular poster too so don't even try to figure out who it is, all you need to know is said person is not an hourly and said person works down here and wears a pass around the neck when said person is on the clock.

You keep on LOL"ing though if you so choose....

Oh and BTW if you have something to say please say it to me here thanks, don't use that childish Inbox crap like you did before(that got more laughs from others)that's for kids.

I think about if it warrants a response(Most likely probably wont judging by this post im replying to).

I also wondered about that "90 day wonder" thing. Cant help but think that it's a reference to the approximate amount of time it takes some dunce "in this case" to make it through RTO training and somehow pass. HAHA it's kind of funny and hey a guy like you knows dam well that's how a lot of you vets see some of the new people.

The inbox is because the rules regarding certain types of posts require it.

As for 207 st. really not sure what your trying to say and I really don't care. As for a pass around the neck it only gets in the way of my badge, lol

I guess those on RTO who came up thru the ranks haven't mentioned 90 day wonders out of courtesy.

Lmao someone would really pay for these silly classes? Outside of the B/O exam are all common sense and require no previous knowledge other than common sense. The only thing that May trip some people is questions based on the 24 hour clock. Other than most TA exams are not hard. I didn't even study for my exam and scored a 97%.

Archived