President Obama On Social Inequality

realizm

As we are very much aware of, there is an ongoing problem concerning social and racial inequality in this country. The division between economic classes for example continues grow at a rate which is disturbing for many from the poorest of the poor to the upper middle class. New York City for one thing has some of the highest rates of social and racial tensions and divides in this entire country!

The capitalist model currently in place has only scratched the surface in terms of satisfying the needs of Americans straight across the board.

Yesterday a press release was issued by the White House which can be found on http://www.whitehouse.gov. Please also refer to this link for the response by the press. In it Obama made the following statements:

" ...this increasing inequality is most pronounced in our country, and it challenges the very essence of who we are as a people. Understand we’ve never begrudged success in America. We aspire to it. We admire folks who start new businesses, create jobs, and invent the products that enrich our lives. And we expect them to be rewarded handsomely for it. In fact, we've often accepted more income inequality than many other nations for one big reason -- because we were convinced that America is a place where even if you’re born with nothing, with a little hard work you can improve your own situation over time and build something better to leave your kids. As Lincoln once said, “While we do not propose any war upon capital, we do wish to allow the humblest man an equal chance to get rich with everybody else.”

The idea that so many children are born into poverty in the wealthiest nation on Earth is heartbreaking enough. But the idea that a child may never be able to escape that poverty because she lacks a decent education or health care, or a community that views her future as their own, that should offend all of us and it should compel us to action. We are a better country than this."

Also to quote:

"A new study shows that disparities in education, mental health, obesity, absent fathers, isolation from church, isolation from community groups -- these gaps are now as much about growing up rich or poor as they are about anything else. The gap in test scores between poor kids and wealthy kids is now nearly twice what it is between white kids and black kids. Kids with working-class parents are 10 times likelier than kids with middle- or upper-class parents to go through a time when their parents have no income. So the fact is this: The opportunity gap in America is now as much about class as it is about race, and that gap is growing.

So if we’re going to take on growing inequality and try to improve upward mobility for all people, we’ve got to move beyond the false notion that this is an issue exclusively of minority concern. And we have to reject a politics that suggests any effort to address it in a meaningful way somehow pits the interests of a deserving middle class against those of an undeserving poor in search of handouts. (Applause.)"

He continues in his talk by stating that the solution is to increase economic mobility, which allows poor families to have a better shot at reaching middle income class status through such things as economic and educational reforms, also to provide provisions such as the proposal to raise the minimum wage. However with reforms and new proposals comes new problems which may arise as this government continues to grip with challenges concerning social inequality of all sorts based on issues that stems from economic class designation to race relation issues which cannot be denied. Apparently both the Democratic and Republican parties are equally concerned about these prevalent issues which in short has become nothing short of troubling for us.

Regarding these issues, also the current state of the nation's status quo: In your estimation, what should the government be taking into consideration to tackle the problems concerning social and racial inequality? Are they approaching this problem correctly? These are my personal questions I present to this internet community.

*Edit: (correct typos)

I for one don't see what Obama has done to really tackle the problem.  Lots of talk and very little action...

Hey, we agree on something!  :P

Seriously, though, there's only so much he's going to be able to get done until/unless the House changes hands. Legislation that would start to tackle the problem (expanding the social safety net, increasing funding for schools in troubled areas, a second stimulus, etc.) is DOA the moment it hits the House floor, and he can't just start doing things by executive order.

I very much like his focus on giving kids the opportunities they need so they can take the initiative and succeed in the future. However, he needs to put more money where his mouth is and fund more programs to stabilize families and communities, give kids the social skills, nutrition, and zeal for learning that they need to ultimately be successful rather than taking tests in school all day. 

Hey, we agree on something!  :P

Seriously, though, there's only so much he's going to be able to get done until/unless the House changes hands. Legislation that would start to tackle the problem (expanding the social safety net, increasing funding for schools in troubled areas, a second stimulus, etc.) is DOA the moment it hits the House floor, and he can't just start doing things by executive order.

I just wish that all presidents were given the same benefit of the doubt that Obama has been given.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

This is how I view it.

As it is we are on the right direction, or at the very least have it in mind. What needs to be done is to once more take precaution against the majority of opponents (Republicans) as so they not impede and serve as a block for progress as time and time again has demonstrated.

Then and only then can focus be placed on goals and thus serve to advance us, the people, as a nation.

• 9 months later...

He's Herbert Hoover 2.0. I don't see him create Public Works. All he does is yap.

What I think he does very well is make easily-distracted Americans listen to issues that affect them. He makes the boring realities fun. In fact, I'm spending the night watching all of them. It's hilarious. Here's a tangentially-related video:

And this one too:

What I think he does very well is make easily-distracted Americans listen to issues that affect them. He makes the boring realities fun. In fact, I'm spending the night watching all of them. It's hilarious. Here's a tangentially-related video:

And this one too:

Way ahead of you, bud. :)

Archived