Criminal record and NYCTA employment

blackzima

I have a criminal record (fraud, misdemeanor, probation, no jail time, 11 years ago). I've got a Certificate of Relief from court which grants a relief from ban to employment. Is this record gonna be a problem for me to get a job in NYCTA as a bus operator? Is anybody familiar with this situation? Thanks.

I have a criminal record (fraud, misdemeanor, probation, no jail time, 11 years ago). I've got a Certificate of Relief from court which grants a relief from ban to employment. Is this record gonna be a problem for me to get a job in NYCTA as a bus operator? Is anybody familiar with this situation? Thanks.

No, it is against the law for the MTA to use your criminal history against you during the hiring process. As long as you have a solid work history, you should be fine. I remember reading a story in the post about a guy who robbed a bank while employed by the NYPD. He got caught and did 11 years in prison. He is now a bus driver out of Jackie Gleason bus depot. If they hired him, you should have no problems...

No, it is against the law for the MTA to use your criminal history against you during the hiring process. As long as you have a solid work history, you should be fine. I remember reading a story in the post about a guy who robbed a bank while employed by the NYPD. He got caught and did 11 years in prison. He is now a bus driver out of Jackie Gleason bus depot. If they hired him, you should have no problems...

Just a mere tech in the IT field lurking around, not usually here, but listen to Blitz this is the case with many city agencies or corporations, private or public. Besides with a misdemeanor your record can be sealed in one year. Hes right, labor laws in effect here. Just be honest on the application. Its not a felony I dont see in my experiences being in the IT public sector for a long time how that will necessarily stop you from getting the position. 

The more I think about this I would not be worried about this at all. 

Edited by realizm

I have a 10 year old felony and I work for transit as a train operator. Be truthful, have disposition papers for every conviction and you'll be fine. good luck

I have a 10 year old felony and I work for transit as a train operator. Be truthful, have disposition papers for every conviction and you'll be fine. good luck

Thanks. I hope now its not gonna be a huge problem for me but i still can fail with small ones. )

• 6 months later...

Is it possible to seal a conviction in NY? As I know you cannot do it. (

Yeah my lawyer said it's sealed but I'm thinking I should mention it just to be safe. A career with the MTA is too important to me to screw it up over something minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my lawyer said it's sealed but I'm thinking I should mention it just to be safe. A career with the MTA is too important to me to screw it up over something minor.

Check this out http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/arrests_and_searches/overview-of-expunging-clearing-your-criminal-record-in-new-york-state.htm

Thanks for that link it's very insightful. Hmm...I'm thinking I should still tell them. Don't want to take any chances.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I know someone who is going for station agent. He is HIV positive, it is under control with medication but he claims it is confidential information and therefore thinks he does not need to disclose it to the MTA. I know it isn't a criminal thing but it is something that fits along the lines of what does and does not need to be disclosed to get the job. How does that work?

• 3 years later...
On 2/18/2015 at 1:50 PM, tprashad0719 said:

i have a DUI since aug 2010, i went thru the whole process in july 2014 even to the drug test to get a call back telling me i have to reinstate my name back on the list for august 2015 due to my dui , it takes 5 years for it to be cleared with MTA in my case

What happend with your situation? I know it was 4 years ago but I’m in a similar situation. I’m starting the testing process for block operator. I received a misdemeanor Dwi 4 years ago. Any advice ? @tprashad0719

• 3 years later...

I have a felony conviction from 2016 for money laundering. I took the mabstoa bus operator exam, passed the exam, the physical, got my money order, was in the last step of processing, then the person who processes the paperwork at the MTA center asked to see all of my forms when she noticed I wrote down my felony charge as it stated me to do on one of the forms, and when she (the processing person) saw that, she said MTA would get back to me and I could leave processing. I left their center and never heard back from them again. It’s been 2 or 3 months. i followed  up with them but I received an email saying management still has  my paperwork. Should I be concerned? Is this a bar of employment? 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, Foxx said:

I have a felony conviction from 2016 for money laundering. I took the mabstoa bus operator exam, passed the exam, the physical, got my money order, was in the last step of processing, then the person who processes the paperwork at the MTA center asked to see all of my forms when she noticed I wrote down my felony charge as it stated me to do on one of the forms, and when she (the processing person) saw that, she said MTA would get back to me and I could leave processing. I left their center and never heard back from them again. It’s been 2 or 3 months. i followed  up with them but I received an email saying management still has  my paperwork. Should I be concerned? Is this a bar of employment? 

The fact that "management still has my paperwork" sounds like a bu**sh** excuse to me.

If I was you - move on with life.

If you need and/or want help with this, including a possible appeal, send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there.

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, +Young+ said:

The fact that "management still has my paperwork" sounds like a bu**sh** excuse to me.

If I was you - move on with life.

If you need and/or want help with this, including a possible appeal, send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there.

I’m going threw the same thing sort of I’m on probation until March 29 2024 I was at the office Feb 6 2024 I got to the last step and they said my paper work has to be reviewed 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 3:23 PM, Eshuade said:

I’m going threw the same thing sort of I’m on probation until March 29 2024 I was at the office Feb 6 2024 I got to the last step and they said my paper work has to be reviewed 

Interesting...as they say, "treat others the way you want to be treated."

That's just me. By the way, welcome to the Forums!!