Rookie B/O's - Lack of training?

Via Garibaldi 8

I don't "wish" for anything... That's the current situation.

.....I'd wish you'd ...SHUT ...THE HELL UPPPP. This isn't burger king jabroni, You can't have it YOUR WAY. If anything your way is mad ....The public would have such a shortage of Bus Ops that it'll be a total cluster f**k. You seem to have a Lotta pent up feelings bra. ..Go get laid or take you hand and relieve yourself ...please ...Your methods are ludicrous, Instead of being nice to the ones that get you home safely every night (From point A-B)You instead try to come up with ways to make a job that's ALREADY hard enough .What's in that Pierre water your drinking cause it ain't common sense , I think you've been told a thing or too from a bus op and you figure hmmmm ...If they we're more educated , I might get over on this , Well son sorry to report , We're of a breed that will be respected(NEW OR SENIOR)And if your dumb ignorant ass gets it ....you need us no matter what ,WHY. ...cause your to much of a broke ass wanna be to get your own vehicle , I have 3 ...you have zilch. ...Don't hate , WORK HARD AND YOU GET THINGS IN LIFE. ...But bashing us (New or Old )will not help your stupid little fan club .....which probably has like 1 or 2 members. ...you quarter pounder and checkmate champ ...bunch of Mary's ...Now our members already have made it clear ....GET OVER IT AND PEACE CC CC. ....I'm KR and I approve of this message and I also approve on how Our brotherhood of Bus ops that do an impossible job but still get pricks home like this douch. ...Since way back when .....(Glass shatters. ...STONE COLD

BA to drive a bus... the dumbest sh_t I've ever heard. What is the significance of holding a BA/BS and driving a bus. Driving is a skill that does not require any collegiate experience... Further more u always seem to find a problem with everything .. The training their given is how to operate the bus.. which imo is fine! If you know you going to be driving a route why not do some type of research before getting on the job. Im pretty sure there sufficient map and schedule pamphlets in the depot.  

I don't think that would be an issue. To some extent, I believe there is a level of individualism regardless... I see it on the road... Express bus B/O's blocking in local bus B/O's, etc.

As for your comment about my request being predicated, I don't think that's the case at all.  What I'm concerned about is precisely what you brought up with regards to NICE B/O's.  If you have so many guys being fired or quitting, then it in essence is about having a warm body in the chair and you don't get any sort of quality workers. I know of some guys out of Yonkers for example that have have moved up very quickly on the seniority list and have not been there that long to be that high on the list, but so many guys are hired and fired that it's a revolving door.  Now I get it... Some guys are going to leave no matter what, but you also have a lot of guys that are just not really qualified in the first place.  Sure, they pass the exam, etc., but they're not mature enough to really handle the job and be a good employee and at that point, you have to question if it's really worth it to keep the standards as they currently are.

Now what I haven't received an answer on is what is the current turnover of B/O's?  From my own observations, it appears to be pretty darn high.

I'm going to say this....

The MTA may have many faults/problems regarding how they handle things, but I don't think it'll ever come to the point where they're advertising on its own modes just for someone to drive (not operate... bit of a difference) a bus... That is where NICE is at now.... When the MTA stops training its incoming/prospective drivers, THAT's when you should start worrying about that, not whatever levels of turnover that exists with b/o's......

Moving up in seniority is a result of high turnover.... Again, it doesn't speak for the MTA not training its b/o's....

I'll agree that you have guys that aren't qualified, mature enough, the whole nine... And to that, you make the testing procedures (whatever they are) tougher - How you go about doing that, I simply don't know, as I don't proclaim to have all the answers.... However, You don't try to weed about those that aren't qualified to be a b/o by the level of education they have, for these types of jobs.... The skill is takes to be a b/o I'm not undermining - But see Via, your problem is here that you're trying to implement white collar hiring procedures for blue collar jobs.... The business owners out here that do that very thing (i.e. requiring associates or bachelors degrees to, IDK, be a bike messenger or some shit.... GTFOH) is part of the problem when it comes to the unemployment rate (in this state at least; don't know about other states) now....

I disagree with the competitive thing--you can go to college and turn out a decent person, even at an uber elite school.

...except my comment wasn't regarding simply going to college and not turning out to be a decent person....

Total & blatant misrepresentation of what I said.

Simple... Because we're in different times now, and previously a high school diploma was sufficient enough.  Having a BA now is almost like having a high school diploma because many people are getting one these days.  Being a B/O does require some skills and the job should be treated as such.

In any event, putting the BA aside, there should definitely be a higher standard involved for becoming a B/O than the current standards used.

You just nullified your own point here - If a BA now is almost like having an HS diploma (because many are getting one nowadays, which is true), then what real difference would it make if a BA was the minimum requirement, compared to having a HS diploma?

It's looking like you're trying to thin the pool of applicants that want to become b/o's.... Simply lessening the amount of applicants (in regards to quality of incoming b/o's) means absolutely nothing for what you're trying to accomplish - All that does is makes the MTA's HR department's job that much easier.....

Furthermore, sure being/becoming a b/o shouldn't be taken lightly.... However, the skills required for the position aren't those that a college degree is necessary for... Tell me something - what college can you attend, where it would properly train you to become a bus operator?

Yes, putting the BA aside (because at this point, you even have to admit that was hastily stated), I can agree to a higher standard... Just not anything involving an applicant's level of education... You said it yourself - Some guys are gonna leave no matter what...

....and that is regardless of their education level.

I'm going to say this....

The MTA may have many faults/problems regarding how they handle things, but I don't think it'll ever come to the point where they're advertising on its own modes just for someone to drive (not operate... bit of a difference) a bus... That is where NICE is at now.... When the MTA stops training its incoming/prospective drivers, THAT's when you should start worrying about that, not whatever levels of turnover that exists with b/o's......

Moving up in seniority is a result of high turnover.... Again, it doesn't speak for the MTA not training its b/o's....

I'll agree that you have guys that aren't qualified, mature enough, the whole nine... And to that, you make the testing procedures (whatever they are) tougher - How you go about doing that, I simply don't know, as I don't proclaim to have all the answers.... However, You don't try to weed about those that aren't qualified to be a b/o by the level of education they have, for these types of jobs.... The skill is takes to be a b/o I'm not undermining - But see Via, your problem is here that you're trying to implement white collar hiring procedures for blue collar jobs.... The business owners out here that do that very thing (i.e. requiring associates or bachelors degrees to, IDK, be a bike messenger or some shit.... GTFOH) is part of the problem when it comes to the unemployment rate (in this state at least; don't know about other states) now....

...except my comment wasn't regarding simply going to college and not turning out to be a decent person....

Total & blatant misrepresentation of what I said.

You just nullified your own point here - If a BA now is almost like having an HS diploma (because many are getting one nowadays, which is true), then what real difference would it make if a BA was the minimum requirement, compared to having a HS diploma?

It's looking like you're trying to thin the pool of applicants that want to become b/o's.... Simply lessening the amount of applicants (in regards to quality of incoming b/o's) means absolutely nothing for what you're trying to accomplish - All that does is makes the MTA's HR department's job that much easier.....

Furthermore, sure being/becoming a b/o shouldn't be taken lightly.... However, the skills required for the position aren't those that a college degree is necessary for... Tell me something - what college can you attend, where it would properly train you to become a bus operator?

Yes, putting the BA aside (because at this point, you even have to admit that was hastily stated), I can agree to a higher standard... Just not anything involving an applicant's level of education... You said it yourself - Some guys are gonna leave no matter what...

....and that is regardless of their education level.

It's a moot point either way... I said BA yeah I know, and yes, I was thinking from a corporate white collar point of view since I have a white collar job, but my point still stands and that is that the standards should be raised, BA or no BA.  

.WHY. ...cause your to much of a broke ass wanna be to get your own vehicle , I have 3 ...you have zilch. ...Don't hate , WORK HARD AND YOU GET THINGS IN LIFE. COLD

lol... Yes by choice, not because I can't afford one...  Considering what I spend a month in transportation between Metro-North and the express bus, if I wanted a car or two for that matter I could afford it. I take public transportation by choice.  It's a mentality thing with me and I believe in being environmentally conscious.

It's a moot point either way... I said BA yeah I know, and yes, I was thinking from a corporate white collar point of view since I have a white collar job, but my point still stands and that is that the standards should be raised, BA or no BA. 

Lol.... I have to admit, you do a good job at saving face & sounding defeated at the same time....

Rather than rub it in, I'm simply gonna say that the real moot part about this whole exchange is whether or not the standards should be raised - not the whole b/o's having to need BA's part of it.... The former is reasonably debatable, the latter is far from.....

But I already said just about all I had to say on this matter, and it looks like it was taken in, so I'm out this MF-er for now....

Lol.... I have to admit, you do a good job at saving face & sounding defeated at the same time....

Rather than rub it in, I'm simply gonna say that the real moot part about this whole exchange is whether or not the standards should be raised - not the whole b/o's having to need BA's part of it.... The former is reasonably debatable, the latter is far from.....

But I already said just about all I had to say on this matter, and it looks like it was taken in, so I'm out this MF-er for now....

Well yeah I agreed much earlier that the BA requirement could be thrown out and we could just say that the standards should be raised... Problem like you said is how though? lol That's why I used a BA because I figured that would be an easy way to raise the standards, not because you need a BA to drive a bus or any of that nonsense

So this just occurred to me. Even if someone possessed a BA, I'm sure that person would not even consider getting a job driving (or "operating") a bus anyway. They would pursue jobs with higher pay with that said, BA.

Give up the BA argument already.  I already agreed several posts ago that some other criteria could be used to raise the standards, but the question is what? That's precisely why a BA was proposed, not because a BA is needed to drive a bus.

In my previous job I was a supervisor for TSA not going to say much else. But all I had was a GED and I ran my own federal checkpoint responsible for 20000 people a day. I had the final say of who and what is safe and what is not with just a GED. Now you talk about needing college for a bus operator you are a funny man.

Archived