Rookie B/O's - Lack of training?

Via Garibaldi 8

The only major problem for rookie B/Os if you ask me is that they are not given enough route training. Before being allowed on the road on their own, each driver needs to be trained on the particular route (not necessarily in service, but sent down the route). This is what training duty needs to do. The process could be sped up for B/O candidates who are already fully licensed. After the 10th day (by which someone must have qualified to officially work for the MTA), the next week should be spent training all of the new B/Os to be assigned to a depot on the route. This could include non-service training down a route. This would be done for a week, and only after this is done would a driver be permitted to drive in revenue service.

The only major problem for rookie B/Os if you ask me is that they are not given enough route training. Before being allowed on the road on their own, each driver needs to be trained on the particular route (not necessarily in service, but sent down the route). This is what training duty needs to do. The process could be sped up for B/O candidates who are already fully licensed. After the 10th day (by which someone must have qualified to officially work for the MTA), the next week should be spent training all of the new B/Os to be assigned to a depot on the route. This could include non-service training down a route. This would be done for a week, and only after this is done would a driver be permitted to drive in revenue service.

I totally agree with this... I don't think they spend enough time getting B/O's acquainted with the route and I think that by the time they're ready to do a revenue run, they should feel comfortable doing any route that the depot has and also have no problems deadheading from one line to another if need be.

Well we were talking about knowing the route, not necessarily operating the bus... Two very different things... I never stated that he had a problem operating the bus.  I did clearly state that he got lost because he didn't know the route, and in my mind, that's one of the basics of being a B/O.  Operating the bus... Of course any old Joe Scmoe can't just do that.

As for your claim that there would be a city-wide shortage, I don't believe that.  You have more and more employers raising the standards for getting even the most simple jobs that one can do without necessarily having a BA.

Well what do you want from me.... Realizm clearly asked you "Would you have done any better as a B/O?"... Yeah, you never stated the b/o in question had a problem operating that bus, but how did you not think realizm's question entailed operating the bus.... You, putting your own self in a Joe Schmo situation, answered "Yes"  to it.... Now all of a sudden it's two different things....

As for my claim, of course you're gonna say that because it doesn't support your conclusion in making the minimum requirement more stringent to become a b/o..... There would most definitely be a shortage; You wouldn't get near as many b/o's necessary to fill each & every single run in this city with having op's needing a bachelors.....

Just how many people do you think have BA's out here that want to drive a bus....

Or better yet, want to attend college to obtain a BA, to then become a b/o?

As for your last comment there, There is an increase in employers raising standards for even the most menial jobs, for no other real reason than as a (further) weeding out process of those they deem unfit & undesirable to perform whatever task(s) - Any competent person in  management & HR knows this....  It isn't that they want a bunch of professionals all over the place working blue collar jobs (as much as you might realistically believe, or are insulting people's intelligence on here tryna paint the picture that it is as such).... Really now, who the f*** is tryna become a "Professional" bellhop? a "Professional" truck driver? Shit, a "Professional" pick/packer in a damn warehouse for pete's sake....

You sound like one of those managers that would ask his best worker to pump in 60+ hours a week, no breaks or lunch, having that person perform tasks that literally has zilch to do with their position on top of it all, all b/c you'd know full well there wouldn't be people out here tryna find work that would even minimally qualify for what you're looking for, out of a potential employee.... Just like employers, yes, even the unemployed have standards too....

(don't be chuckling in the background either... I see you.)

....and those typically that bust their ass (and mommy's/daddy's income) getting BA's are NOT gonna be rushing to become b/o's (like with the lottery that exists with so many people putting in for some MTA position; with bus operator being one of them)....

You'd be bullshitting every single person on here if you are seriously conveying otherwise w/ this whole BA bit....

Well what do you want from me.... Realizm clearly asked you "Would you have done any better as a B/O?"... Yeah, you never stated the b/o in question had a problem operating that bus, but how did you not think realizm's question entailed operating the bus.... You, putting your own self in a Joe Schmo situation, answered "Yes"  to it.... Now all of a sudden it's two different things....

As for my claim, of course you're gonna say that because it doesn't support your conclusion in making the minimum requirement more stringent to become a b/o..... There would most definitely be a shortage; You wouldn't get near as many b/o's necessary to fill each & every single run in this city with having op's needing a bachelors.....

Just how many people do you think have BA's out here that want to drive a bus....

Or better yet, want to attend college to obtain a BA, to then become a b/o?

As for your last comment there, There is an increase in employers raising standards for even the most menial jobs, for no other real reason than as a (further) weeding out process of those they deem unfit & undesirable to perform whatever task(s) - Any competent person in  management & HR knows this....  It isn't that they want a bunch of professionals all over the place working blue collar jobs (as much as you might realistically believe, or are insulting people's intelligence on here tryna paint the picture that it is as such).... Really now, who the f*** is tryna become a "Professional" bellhop? a "Professional" truck driver? Shit, a "Professional" pick/packer in a damn warehouse for pete's sake....

You sound like one of those managers that would ask his best worker to pump in 60+ hours a week, no breaks or lunch, having that person perform tasks that literally has zilch to do with their position on top of it all, all b/c you'd know full well there wouldn't be people out here tryna find work that would even minimally qualify for what you're looking for, out of a potential employee.... Just like employers, yes, even the unemployed have standards too....

(don't be chuckling in the background either... I see you.)

....and those typically that bust their ass (and mommy's/daddy's income) getting BA's are NOT gonna be rushing to become b/o's (like with the lottery that exists with so many people putting in for some MTA position; with bus operator being one of them)....

You'd be bullshitting every single person on here if you are seriously conveying otherwise w/ this whole BA bit....

LOL... I sure as hell am chuckling... Well you make some good points... However, no one has yet to answer my question about turnover... I don't see the point in keeping the standards low if you have nothing but a revolving door of B/O's either quitting or being fired (the latter is certainly the more common reason out of the two aforementioned reasons).  It costs money to keep hiring and retraining folks and aside from that even with these requirements, there is still a TON of overtime available, so that means that apparently there is still a shortage and I suspect it's probably due to so many of these guys not really being qualified to begin with, so why not weed them out from the get go?  As someone who runs my own department, yes I'm a ball breaker when I hire folks to work for me.  They're paid well, but I'm not going to go wasting their time or my pretending that they're going to be professional enough to get the job done that I need them to do, and quite frankly I don't see how this is any different.  Being a B/O does require some skills.  It's not as if you just have a warm body sitting in a seat driving a bus.  We don't have to go into what is needed to be a B/O because that should be evident.

LOL... I sure as hell am chuckling... Well you make some good points... However, no one has yet to answer my question about turnover... I don't see the point in keeping the standards low if you have nothing but a revolving door of B/O's either quitting or being fired (the latter is certainly the more common reason out of the two aforementioned reasons).  It costs money to keep hiring and retraining folks and aside from that even with these requirements, there is still a TON of overtime available, so that means that apparently there is still a shortage and I suspect it's probably due to so many of these guys not really being qualified to begin with, so why not weed them out from the get go?  As someone who runs my own department, yes I'm a ball breaker when I hire folks to work for me.  They're paid well, but I'm not going to go wasting their time or my pretending that they're going to be professional enough to get the job done that I need them to do, and quite frankly I don't see how this is any different.  Being a B/O does require some skills.  It's not as if you just have a warm body sitting in a seat driving a bus.  We don't have to go into what is needed to be a B/O because that should be evident.

...Because it's predicated on having b/o's having bachelor's degrees (which is what's being disagreed with), so it shouldn't be a wonder to you as to why no one's answering the question about turnover.... Of course turnover would be a lot lower than what it is now if you had a bunch of "Professional" b/o's operating buses throughout the system (again, assuming you can even obtain that many b/o's with that level of education)....

Now I'm not implicating that a bunch of ill-trained b/o's be out there operating buses (that's part of the problem out there in Nassau county now, after enough of the vets that worked for LIB left)... The way I see it, they are seeking a "a warm body sitting in a seat driving a bus" - I've seen the ads out & about out there.... You don't wan't that situation here in NYC, because the minimum requirement would be too difficult for a large amount of blue collar workers to achieve....

For me, if push came to shove, I'd rather the current status quo, than a massive shortage of b/o's (much worse than whatever the situation is now) - which would lead to the (asking of) more/current b/o's putting in OT (or even more OT than what some of them do now)..... I'll give you credit for at least coming up w/ *something* to the revolving door problem (although I don't know how much of a problem it really is; never gave it much though to be honest), but I think asking prospective employees to have a BA is a bit much....

Not weeding out from the get-go, I think has more to do with how the MTA advertises/puts out job openings.... Like with city jobs, it's open enrollment.... With as large an entity as the agency is, I don't see how they can do it any other way..... With open enrollment, you're gonna get any tom, cock, and harry putting their bid in.... It's a sheer numbers game.... The thought process goes along the lines of, hey, at least we have so many willing participants wanting to help move NYC (so to speak) - Not realizing to some bus drivers, obtaining the position is not much more than "hey, at least it pays the bills".... This is what happens when you have b/o's exuding an IDGAF attitude, or having an otherwise disgruntled disposition (like with any other job).... I'm quite sure you have b/o's in the system that frown upon the b/o's in the system that don't give much of a f***.... Makes it look bad for those that truly do care about their jobs & don't take it for granted (outside of the notion of simply losing a paycheck).....

I also think having b/o's having BA's would obliterate the brotherhood that exists with MTA workers.... I find that the higher a degree a person has, the more competitive (screw it, the more of an a**hole) they are.... In other words, there would be too much individualism amongst b/o's, and that's not something I'd want either, because that could translate to how said op's would handle buses on the road - cutting each other off, on some *I'm a better driver than you" BS, or something to that effect......

You can disagree of course, but that's how I see it all....

i answered your question regarding turnover, with raised standards but it got caught up  the NYPD raised its standards with 2 years/ 60 credits of college and yet they have a high turnover

...Because it's predicated on having b/o's having bachelor's degrees (which is what's being disagreed with), so it shouldn't be a wonder to you as to why no one's answering the question about turnover.... Of course turnover would be a lot lower than what it is now if you had a bunch of "Professional" b/o's operating buses throughout the system (again, assuming you can even obtain that many b/o's with that level of education)....

Now I'm not implicating that a bunch of ill-trained b/o's be out there operating buses (that's part of the problem out there in Nassau county now, after enough of the vets that worked for LIB left)... The way I see it, they are seeking a "a warm body sitting in a seat driving a bus" - I've seen the ads out & about out there.... You don't wan't that situation here in NYC, because the minimum requirement would be too difficult for a large amount of blue collar workers to achieve....

For me, if push came to shove, I'd rather the current status quo, than a massive shortage of b/o's (much worse than whatever the situation is now) - which would lead to the (asking of) more/current b/o's putting in OT (or even more OT than what some of them do now)..... I'll give you credit for at least coming up w/ *something* to the revolving door problem (although I don't know how much of a problem it really is; never gave it much though to be honest), but I think asking prospective employees to have a BA is a bit much....

Not weeding out from the get-go, I think has more to do with how the MTA advertises/puts out job openings.... Like with city jobs, it's open enrollment.... With as large an entity as the agency is, I don't see how they can do it any other way..... With open enrollment, you're gonna get any tom, cock, and harry putting their bid in.... It's a sheer numbers game.... The thought process goes along the lines of, hey, at least we have so many willing participants wanting to help move NYC (so to speak) - Not realizing to some bus drivers, obtaining the position is not much more than "hey, at least it pays the bills".... This is what happens when you have b/o's exuding an IDGAF attitude, or having an otherwise disgruntled disposition (like with any other job).... I'm quite sure you have b/o's in the system that frown upon the b/o's in the system that don't give much of a f***.... Makes it look bad for those that truly do care about their jobs & don't take it for granted (outside of the notion of simply losing a paycheck).....

I also think having b/o's having BA's would obliterate the brotherhood that exists with MTA workers.... I find that the higher a degree a person has, the more competitive (screw it, the more of an a**hole) they are.... In other words, there would be too much individualism amongst b/o's, and that's not something I'd want either, because that could translate to how said op's would handle buses on the road - cutting each other off, on some *I'm a better driver than you" BS, or something to that effect......

You can disagree of course, but that's how I see it all....

I don't think that would be an issue. To some extent, I believe there is a level of individualism regardless... I see it on the road... Express bus B/O's blocking in local bus B/O's, etc.

As for your comment about my request being predicated, I don't think that's the case at all.  What I'm concerned about is precisely what you brought up with regards to NICE B/O's.  If you have so many guys being fired or quitting, then it in essence is about having a warm body in the chair and you don't get any sort of quality workers. I know of some guys out of Yonkers for example that have have moved up very quickly on the seniority list and have not been there that long to be that high on the list, but so many guys are hired and fired that it's a revolving door.  Now I get it... Some guys are going to leave no matter what, but you also have a lot of guys that are just not really qualified in the first place.  Sure, they pass the exam, etc., but they're not mature enough to really handle the job and be a good employee and at that point, you have to question if it's really worth it to keep the standards as they currently are.

Now what I haven't received an answer on is what is the current turnover of B/O's?  From my own observations, it appears to be pretty darn high.

Now what I haven't received an answer on is what is the current turnover of B/O's?  From my own observations, it appears to be pretty darn high.

I dont have an answer for you on that one, however what you need to consider is that with many professions in many fields, private companies, public benefits corporations and even city agencies (Such as the NYDOE for example)  has a high turnover rate in general. The problems that occur leading to such high turnover rates is usually because of poor management and administrative practices, not necessarily because of its employees. That said I still think a BA is a bit much for surface transit positions.

Keep in mind also that many employers in the job sector require BAs as a condition of hire because they are trying to downsize the amount of applicants in general rather than because they are looking for a person to qualify. 

I disagree with the competitive thing--you can go to college and turn out a decent person, even at an uber elite school.

But otherwise, this is ridiculous. Forcing operators (who do not often come from wealthy families) to pay for school on their own dime to perform a job wholly uncovered by that schooling is cruel. I'm a huge believer in the humanities and I think that in an ideal world everybody should go to college, regardless of immediate relation to career but instead for the learning and life experience. But is this an ideal world? No. And college is simply not feasible for a huge number of Americans (especially as student debt rises with no end in sight) and it's unclear when it again will be. Why force operators into that kind of pointless student debt without a dramatic wage increase? It just wouldn't be fair.

I disagree with the competitive thing--you can go to college and turn out a decent person, even at an uber elite school.

But otherwise, this is ridiculous. Forcing operators (who do not often come from wealthy families) to pay for school on their own dime to perform a job wholly uncovered by that schooling is cruel. I'm a huge believer in the humanities and I think that in an ideal world everybody should go to college, regardless of immediate relation to career but instead for the learning and life experience. But is this an ideal world? No. And college is simply not feasible for a huge number of Americans (especially as student debt rises with no end in sight) and it's unclear when it again will be. Why force operators into that kind of pointless student debt without a dramatic wage increase? It just wouldn't be fair.

I dont have an answer for you on that one, however what you need to consider is that with many professions in many fields, private companies, public benefits corporations and even city agencies (Such as the NYDOE for example)  has a high turnover rate in general. The problems that occur leading to such high turnover rates is usually because of poor management and administrative practices, not necessarily because of its employees. That said I still think a BA is a bit much for surface transit positions.

Keep in mind also that many employers in the job sector require BAs as a condition of hire because they are trying to downsize the amount of applicants in general rather than because they are looking for a person to qualify. 

Okay, fine, but you can't tell me that the current standards as is are great either given that it appears that A. there is very high turnover, and B. even the (MTA) has admitted that the new rookies basically aren't cutting it.  Also, I wonder if any of these guys are re-hired when they're let go?

Okay, fine, but you can't tell me that the current standards as is are great either given that it appears that A. there is very high turnover, and B. even the (MTA) has admitted that the new rookies basically aren't cutting it.  Also, I wonder if any of these guys are re-hired when they're let go?

I just made the general point that many times regardless of institution or industry that many times turnover is high because of managerial or administrative problems. 

Now as for transit personnel in general (and feel fee to ask any transit worker on this board!) an employee has to break a major, huge violation repeatedly to be terminated. Really, the MTA seems to offer the best job security in NYC when compared to IT, education, even medical! The tough part is getting in the MTA.... because of the screening process and with good reason.

What college degree would even apply to rail or surface operations anyway? None....

Now I have a question for you: If RTO and surface transit personnel prior to this millenium were able to proficiently handle operations without a college degree and still are doing so, why should that change now? Yeah even the "Yo yo ghetto types" as you put it, like that means anything?

Definitely college education is important but it depends on the field of study the prospective college student wants to get into. Education is necessary for a person to survive on a oligarch-like bureaucratic system. However unfortunately as you stated which is true, it seems a college education is a luxury and a privilege rather than an option every person in this country regardless of economic standing needs. I guess I am taking it to a different level since VG8 went there.... yeah income equality exists and that is one of the reasons.: Affordability of a college education. Fellow humanitarian talking here reinforcing your point.

I just made the general point that many times regardless of institution or industry that many times turnover is high because of managerial or administrative problems. 

Now as for transit personnel in general (and feel fee to ask any transit worker on this board!) an employee has to break a major, huge violation repeatedly to be terminated. Really, the MTA seems to offer the best job security in NYC when compared to IT, education, even medical! The tough part is getting in the MTA.... because of the screening process and with good reason.

What college degree would even apply to rail or surface operations anyway? None....

Now I have a question for you: If RTO and surface transit personnel prior to this millenium were able to proficiently handle operations without a college degree and still are doing so, why should that change now? Yeah even the "Yo yo ghetto types" as you put it, like that means anything?

Definitely college education is important but it depends on the field of study the prospective college student wants to get into. Education is necessary for a person to survive on a oligarch-like bureaucratic system. However unfortunately as you stated which is true, it seems a college education is a luxury and a privilege rather than an option every person in this country regardless of economic standing needs. I guess I am taking it to a different level since VG8 went there.... yeah income equality exists and that is one of the reasons.: Affordability of a college education. Fellow humanitarian talking here reinforcing your point.

Simple... Because we're in different times now, and previously a high school diploma was sufficient enough.  Having a BA now is almost like having a high school diploma because many people are getting one these days.  Being a B/O does require some skills and the job should be treated as such.  In any event, putting the BA aside, there should definitely be a higher standard involved for becoming a B/O than the current standards used.

How and why?

lol... What do you mean how and why?  I thought that was clear.  The employee pool in terms of talent these days isn't what it used to be in general and so you have a lot of people that just simply can't cut it, and I think they should be weeded out accordingly.  They lack basic skills such as showing up on time and just lack basic critical thinking skills.  With that in mind, I would not want that type of individual driving me to and from work on the express bus or any other bus for that matter.  

Excuse me?

Yes, we're talking about basic etiquette and professionalism, and some of the B/O's that are hired lack people skills and that's one reason there is such high turn over.  You can't conduct yourself in that manner when dealing with the general public.  It's completely unprofessional and rude.

Yes, we're talking about basic etiquette and professionalism, and some of the B/O's that are hired lack people skills and that's one reason there is such high turn over.  You can't conduct yourself in that when dealing with the general public.  It's completely unprofessional and rude.

Okay? So what the bloody hell does having a special diploma have anything to do with professionalism? There are professional B/Os without all that crap you spew that are professional, hell, there are B/Os on this VERY FORUM that have GEDs and are PROFESSIONAL! I have friends that are professional and are in the job with a GED.

You seem to forget that we have people with degrees of all kinds and they still act like complete a**holes.

Please, think before you speak.

Okay? So what the bloody hell does having a special diploma have anything to do with professionalism? There are professional B/Os without all that crap you spew that are professional, hell, there are B/Os on this VERY FORUM that have GEDs and are PROFESSIONAL! I have friends that are professional and are in the job with a GED.

Please, think before you speak.

Of course there are. I never said there wasn't, but let's not pretend like that's the standard or the norm.  The point is that having higher standards, be it a BA requirement or some other standard would probably result in having less turnover and more qualified, professional B/O's. 

Of course there are. I never said there wasn't, but let's not pretend like that's the standard or the norm.  The point is that having higher standards, be it a BA requirement or some other standard would probably result in having less turnover and more qualified, professional B/O's. 

Even with these "higher standards", things would remain the same. There would not be any difference between a person with a BA and a person with a GED except for a piece of "qualified" paper. At the end of the day, it's about how one drives, their records and how one conducts themselves, not a piece of paper.

It's driving a bus, not studying the theory of the Big Bang.

Even with these "higher standards", things would remain the same. There would not be any difference between a person with a BA and a person with a GED except for a piece of "qualified" paper. At the end of the day, it's about how one drives, their records and how one conducts themselves, not a piece of paper.

Well college is about more than just a "piece of paper", and for those that have never attended or only attended briefly, they'll never be able to understand my point. 

lol... What do you mean how and why?  I thought that was clear.  The employee pool in terms of talent these days isn't what it used to be in general and so you have a lot of people that just simply can't cut it, and I think they should be weeded out accordingly.  They lack basic skills such as showing up on time and just lack basic critical thinking skills.  With that in mind, I would not want that type of individual driving me to and from work on the express bus or any other bus for that matter.

Its not 'clear' thats just your jaded interpretation, doesnt mean its actually reality.

Ok so we go back to what I originally asked: Would you done any better as a bus operator? Keep in mind what KnightRider3:16 (A B/O fyi in case it slipped your mind) told you in so many words, and why, post # 20 ....

He himself stated you don't need a BA to perform well as an operator. Really that should had sufficiently answer your question right there.

@ Cait Sith: +1.

Ok so we go back to what I originally asked: Would you done any better as a bus operator? Keep in mind what KnightRider3:16 (A B/O fyi in case it slipped your mind) asked you in so many words....

He himself stated you don't need a BA top perform well as an operator. Really that should had sufficiently answer your question right there.

@ Cait Sith: +1.

First off he's not a rookie, which is what we're talking about... B/O's entering now... We're also discussing ways to bring in better talent and reduce turnover, which seems to be lost in all of this, and since no one can answer the question about turnover, it's a moot point to make that argument without looking at how much turnover there is and why.  It seems clear that the (MTA) wants more talented B/O's, otherwise they wouldn't have made the statement that newbies can't cut it.

Even with these "higher standards", things would remain the same. There would not be any difference between a person with a BA and a person with a GED except for a piece of "qualified" paper. At the end of the day, it's about how one drives, their records and how one conducts themselves, not a piece of paper.

It's driving a bus, not studying the theory of the Big Bang.

Well apparently it isn't that simple if there's so much turnover....

Well apparently it isn't that simple if there's so much turnover....

Meaning? Bus ops get into situations that screws themselves over at times. Operators leave because of circumstances, we don't know them, we don't know what goes on in their lives. Some may not cut it, others leave, it happens everywhere.

And with your logic, this city would be extremely short of bus ops, wanna drive for all of those that WOULDN'T be on the job?

And just exactly how much people do you think you'll get to get such a turnover in the first place? With such a high requirement, there would be LESS people applying for Bus Operator positions because folks with such a degree can shoot higher, especially since you gotta wait 6 months-years to get a simple phone call from the TA saying you're in. No one is gonna waste their time with that, especially with a BA and with a chance of having a job that pays better.

Meaning? Bus ops get into situations that screws themselves over at times. Operators leave because of circumstances, we don't know them, we don't know what goes on in their lives. Some may not cut it, others leave, it happens everywhere.

And with your logic, this city would be extremely short of bus ops, wanna drive for all of those that WOULDN'T be on the job?

And just exactly how much people do you think you'll get to get such a turnover in the first place? With such a high requirement, there would be LESS people applying for Bus Operator positions because folks with such a degree can shoot higher, especially since you gotta wait 6 months-years to get a simple phone call from the TA saying you're in. No one is gonna waste their time with that, especially with a BA and with a chance of having a job that pays better.

Yes it does happen, but what's the point of having a revolving door if some people aren't qualified to begin with? I think if there were higher standards, those who did apply would take the process more seriously, and you'd have a higher retention rate.  The job market stinks, and if it's just about being on a list, then you would still have a decent pool of candidates to choose from.  You keep saying that there would be a shortage, and I'm saying that with the current standards, there is a shortage because of the low standards with people either leaving or being fired so quickly.  Heck there is so much turnover currently that they probably don't even have enough time to train them and get them out of the door.

Yes it does happen, but what's the point of having a revolving door if some people aren't qualified to begin with?

Wait.... why do you wish for such a situation for B/O's with this reasoning? Why are you so into other hard working people's misfortune?

Archived