Rookie B/O's - Lack of training?

Via Garibaldi 8

Well I recently experienced an adventure trying to come home the other day that was just amazing.  There have been a bunch of rookies coming on to some of the express bus lines and some of these guys are being thrown to the wolves.  I had a B/O who was basically lost who I assisted.  He did one trip, got behind, then had to do another trip on another route and kept calling in to get assistance, but management was unresponsive, so by the time he finally got help and figured out where to go they were well over an hour late and remained over an hour late for just about the rest of the day since they received no guidance from command.  I was just amazed at how they basically expect these guys to know all of these routes inside and out.  

The (MTA) recently reported that the "new breed" of B/O's if you will just can't cut it like the old timers, but we live in a different time now.  Much more traffic and crazy drivers out here...  My honest opinion is that these guys should get at least two weeks of training.  They should be shown each route for a couple of days and be able to drive each route with a veteran B/O by their side so that they know all of the ins and outs from the start.  I think it would benefit the (MTA) in retaining B/O's because it seems as if it's a revolving door these days with so many guys either being fired or quitting from the stress.  It's certainly understandable.  I also think that the standards should be raised too.  Minimum of a BA should be required.

True, a BA is not required for a commercial driving license so I think a BA requirement for new B/Os is a bit overbearing. Furthermore, B/Os do receive extensive training I'm sure. I'll say no more on this because I don't want to point fingers here.

This is similar to what you'd say of rookie cops being dumped in the dangerous parts of NYC?

No quite...

True, a BA is not required for a commercial driving license so I think a BA requirement for new B/Os is a bit overbearing. Furthermore, B/Os do receive extensive training I'm sure. I'll say no more on this because I don't want to point fingers here.

Extensive training with regards to what exactly??  If a B/O doesn't know the route, then they haven't been trained enough.

i also disagree with the BA requirement because it's driving a bus not doing some scientific research and whatnot.

I disagree... I think if the standards were risen, you'd have less turnover and more professional B/O's.  It isn't just about driving a bus but also being professional. 

I disagree... I think if the standards were risen, you'd have less turnover and more professional B/O's.  It isn't just about driving a bus but also being professional. 

Of course some operators will make legitimate mistakes. Would you have done any better as a B/O?

the cops had their standards raised, cause they have to have 2 years/ 60 credits of college and they bolt to other agencies

also regarding the lost b/o don't they give them a left right sheet to know the route?

Thats why they need to get BusTrek GPS for the B/Os and dispatchers on the road already. The MTA heads really need to get with the program here. How long have they been having BusTrek in the 'development phase'? A couple of years now? I mean they are basing it on BusTime so how hard can it possibly be?

Meanwhile other bus companies (Or transit agencies) do have GPS installed, so I just dont get why a public benefits corp as the MTA cant do the same? It would do wonders I would imagine. 

The MTA is too CHEAP thats the problem...

A BA for B/O? Not everything should require a college degree...

I beg to differ...

"But more broadly, because so many people are going to college now, those who do not graduate are often assumed to be unambitious or less capable."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/business/college-degree-required-by-increasing-number-of-companies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Driving a huge vehicle such as a bus does require some skill and that should be noted.  I know of several B/O's that graduated with a BA, and their professionalism is notable... They take their job more seriously, are on time to work and are generally more dedicated to their job.  I was having this very conversation with one guy I get regularly on the express bus who went to college.  He's a young, very bright guy.  He just talked about how many B/O's are fired for being unprofessional... The GED, "yo yo" ghetto types.  College matures you, teaches you how to be responsible and how to be a better individual overall.  

Of course some operators will make legitimate mistakes. Would you have done any better as a B/O?

Seeing that I'm the one that directed him and give him directions for his next trip, the answer is yes.

The GED, "yo yo" ghetto types.  College matures you, teaches you how to be responsible and how to be a better individual overall.

There alot of 'yo yo ghetto types' (your words) that perform well as operators. Thats an irrelevant point to make.

So....

As I was thinking:

Thats why they need to get BusTrek GPS for the B/Os and dispatchers on the road already. The MTA heads really need to get with the program here. How long have they been having BusTrek in the 'development phase'? A couple of years now? I mean they are basing it on BusTime so how hard can it possibly be?

Meanwhile other bus companies (Or transit agencies) do have GPS installed, so I just dont get why a public benefits corp as the MTA cant do the same? It would do wonders I would imagine. 

Thoughts?

The (MTA) recently reported that the "new breed" of B/O's if you will just can't cut it like the old timers, but we live in a different time now.  Much more traffic and crazy drivers out here...  My honest opinion is that these guys should get at least two weeks of training.  They should be shown each route for a couple of days and be able to drive each route with a veteran B/O by their side so that they know all of the ins and outs from the start.  I think it would benefit the (MTA) in retaining B/O's because it seems as if it's a revolving door these days with so many guys either being fired or quitting from the stress.  It's certainly understandable.  I also think that the standards should be raised too.  Minimum of a BA should be required.

This is similar to what you'd say of rookie cops being dumped in the dangerous parts of NYC?

I see what you are saying now peace, not suprised.

So fellas any thoughts? Am I on the mark here? Or what do you think?

The GED, "yo yo" ghetto types.  College matures you, teaches you how to be responsible and how to be a better individual overall.  

I beg to differ. Anyways, I have a GED. To a certain drunk extent, I'm a "yo yo" ghetto type. Though I'm in an IT field without a BA. Irony huh?

Either way, if you say B/O's should require a BA to be one, then like others say, we might as well make that a rule to drive a car in NY while we're at it.

Sure, along with a city-wide shortage in bus ops.....

You have to get as many people to meet the requirement first, before you start talking about turnover....

Driving a huge vehicle such as a bus does require some skill and that should be noted.  I know of several B/O's that graduated with a BA, and their professionalism is notable... They take their job more seriously, are on time to work and are generally more dedicated to their job.  I was having this very conversation with one guy I get regularly on the express bus who went to college.  He's a young, very bright guy.  He just talked about how many B/O's are fired for being unprofessional... The GED, "yo yo" ghetto types.  College matures you, teaches you how to be responsible and how to be a better individual overall.  

Seeing that I'm the one that directed him and give him directions for his next trip, the answer is yes.

- Lol, you forget which century we're in or something? The maturation process that once came with going to college is a waning notion.... The yo yo ghetto types as you eloquently call em, have matriculated (I'll go as far as to say, festered) into these colleges... Pay closer attention.

- Again, putting things in perspective, being a helpful backseat driver does in no way, shape, or form, compare to operating a bus..... So how can the answer be "yes", especially if you don't drive (for starters)..... I get it, knowing the route should be one of the easier things about the job, but I refuse to believe that anyone can hop in the seat of a bus w/o driver training can do better, on the count of them being better with directions - Which is what you're implicating with your "yes" there.....

All that aside, I don't know if it's lack of training, or not implementing the training that they did receive, to the best of their abilities... You can account the latter to laziness, boredom, nervousness, whatever..... Either way though, not knowing the route IMO is nothing short of embarrassing....

If they are going to be good operators, it will take a little time to get used to their route. Once they get it down, it'll be no problem at all

Who wants to ride with me to Dover? $12.00 fare one way :)

One more thing: as I've probably said in the past, no shame in asking for help from veteran riders until you get the route down

FINALLYYYYY. ...KR ...has come back ...to shut that wanna be gambino crime family italian imposter. ....OKKKK first off you can take your thoughts on having a B.A. with you when you take a big hunk of BS in the toilet , God your annoying you know that .To obtain or aquire a job here you MUST have a high school Education ....I went to LaGuardia CC so (screeech tires)don't go there with me .

Our job you couldn't do even if the Mayor of Riverdale begged you to do , It's stressful to the extreme with having the know how of Operating a Bus(which we have what is called a CDL)..A license that already is challenging to get .I seriously want you to become part of our team so I can see you go run home crying because of the knowledge and stress of being one of us .I'm seriously suspecting you was dropped at birth cuz your such a piece oof annoying wife shit that I just and need to layeth with a Chinese wok. ...Leave us Ops alone and stay to what you know best , That's being a AHole ..I quote that ok buddy. ...And since I'm Italian like you ....no I'm not being racist just real , There is a difference. Now go walk your poodles and shop at whole foods cuz all your doing is being a prick on assuming to be a Politician.......I'm KR and I approve of this message

A B.A. to drive a bus....? And what's next? You need a Ph.D with Honors to be a dispatcher?

I know plenty of awesome operators who DON'T have a bachelor's degree. You don't need a degree to learn how to drive a bus or drive a route, Getting a CDL is pretty hard (as I have heard myself) anyways. This guy may have forgot the route and made a mistake, even if he is a rookie, cut him some slack, we all make mistakes, certainly you do, especially in the way you interact on here but that's a different story.

Considering the price of a college degree itself (not everyone is lucky enough to be really rich or really poor or go to a CUNY, for example) as well as the shortage of jobs for people who are coming out of college anyway, you'd be deterring more people who cannot simple afford to get a degree of one more possible opportunity.

Bottom Line: You don't need a degree to be a great B/O and having a college degree doesn't automatically make you smart either.

Once I saw this thread, for the first time, I said "Oh, this sounds like a VG8 thread" (hence I was right). I wasn't really gonna comment until I read to make it mandated to have a B.A to drive a bus. That's completely absurd. Don't lie to us VG8, the real reason you want a BA is to not have ghetto-looking/ghetto-type people drive the (and your) bus. You prefer that someone that looks like they got an education (to feel safe), and for them to be able to go down at 100 MPH on the Harlem River Drive while they get you aster to your destination. It's not always gonna work like that.

As long as the driver doesn't drive like a maniac, and gets me to where I need to be safe and sound, I don't care who's the driver.

I don't know jabroni, Seems like your No.1 Donkey in this ...To the members that understand, I thank you .Some good replies I'm reading so keep up the good work ....cuz you may need a Masters degree to Log in on here next time .

LOL

Sure, along with a city-wide shortage in bus ops.....

You have to get as many people to meet the requirement first, before you start talking about turnover....

- Lol, you forget which century we're in or something? The maturation process that once came with going to college is a waning notion.... The yo yo ghetto types as you eloquently call em, have matriculated (I'll go as far as to say, festered) into these colleges... Pay closer attention.

- Again, putting things in perspective, being a helpful backseat driver does in no way, shape, or form, compare to operating a bus..... So how can the answer be "yes", especially if you don't drive (for starters)..... I get it, knowing the route should be one of the easier things about the job, but I refuse to believe that anyone can hop in the seat of a bus w/o driver training can do better, on the count of them being better with directions - Which is what you're implicating with your "yes" there.....

All that aside, I don't know if it's lack of training, or not implementing the training that they did receive, to the best of their abilities... You can account the latter to laziness, boredom, nervousness, whatever..... Either way though, not knowing the route IMO is nothing short of embarrassing....

Well we were talking about knowing the route, not necessarily operating the bus... Two very different things... I never stated that he had a problem operating the bus.  I did clearly state that he got lost because he didn't know the route, and in my mind, that's one of the basics of being a B/O.  Operating the bus... Of course any old Joe Scmoe can't just do that.

As for your claim that there would be a city-wide shortage, I don't believe that.  You have more and more employers raising the standards for getting even the most simple jobs that one can do without necessarily having a BA.

"Even the office “runner” — the in-house courier who, for $10 an hour, ferries documents back and forth between the courthouse and the office — went to a four-year school."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/business/college-degree-required-by-increasing-number-of-companies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

With the job market being what it is, plenty of people would line up to be a B/O.  Work is steady, benefits are good and the salary is respectable.  Maybe one shouldn't need a BA, but the standards should definitely be raised.   I'd be curious to know what the turnover rate is for (MTA) B/O's currently.  Out of Yonkers for example, I can count the B/O's on one hand that have lasted more than a few years.  

Archived