Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed that particular (F) train by about 15 minutes. I was forced to go via the 7 train to get to Manhattan since I didn't know about the cross honoring.

I avoided the Q60, I already knew that was gonna be crushed.

Going back to Jamaica, I simply took the (L) to the (J). The (J) ran perfectly and wasn't anymore crowded than it was on a regular day.

Heard the shuttles, the Q60, the (7), all of it was a mess.

Yep the (7) was crowded like Rush Hour!

CR's says 

Ladies And Gentleman! There are no trains running at 74th St-Broadway. For alternatives, take shuttle buses to Manhattan. Again, ladies and gentleman, there is no  (E)  (F) or  (R) train service! Shuttle buses are running. For alternatives also take the  (4)  (5)  (6) trains at Grand Central. The LIRR at Woodside is cross line the MetroCards (and that I didn't understand him.)

Please enter in the nearest doors please. Step all the way in and stand clear of the closing doors! 

Kept repeating it. The G.O. is cancelled this weekend tho

Let me educate some of you experts here... If the first and last cars remain on the track (as what happened here). Good chance track is going to eat this. Second for you experts here there was track work in that area the night before. So before you experts comment on something most of you know nothing about wait and see what the report finds...

Oh news flash system safety cleared the crew in this incident they actually commended them for their actions...

So much for those people saying" oh the train was going too fast " huh?

Hey another T/O suggested it. Did you see the post?

I would think so.

He used IF and since system safety cleared the crew any points about speed is irrelevant now. You did see the words "some" in my post right?

I would think so. But as we all saw in the news an investigation is ongoing. So I guess thats were waiting on.

I don't need to wait on anything else since the crew is cleared as I just stated.

There are other factors in play here but I'll see how it goes on Saturday... Things none here who don't work know about.

He used IF and since system safety cleared the crew any points about speed is irrelevant now. You did see the words "some" in my post right?

Yes I did and thank you for the much needed insider information. I see what you are saying.

1) The front and last car remained in on the track while the rest of the consist buckled.

2) There was track work the night before.

We'll need to see what the investigation reveals yes you are correct, but I'll admit it is sounding like a case where there was sounding wrong with the rails according to your tidbits. Clearly so as the train crew was finally cleared, and I am happy for them. This is generally not an easy job, thats for sure. 

There are other factors in play here but I'll see how it goes on Saturday... Things none here who don't work know about.

Agreed.

Yes I did and thank you for the much needed insider information. I see what you are saying.

1) The front and last car remained in on the track while the rest of the consist buckled.

2) There was track work the night before.

We'll need to see what the investigation reveals yes you are correct, but I'll admit it is sounding like a case where there was sounding wrong with the rails according to your tidbits. Clearly so as the train crew was finally cleared, and I am happy for them. This is generally not an easy job, thats for sure. Agreed.

. I can respect that fair enough!

Because sometimes it's necessary.

[sarcasm]It's great that you're there as a moral compass to show others the right way to be a human being.[/sarcasm]

That's a very nice way of you trying to excuse those ridiculous comments...

"Ridiculous" is in the ear of the hearer. Some people would very much love an environment where they aren't condemned for not putting up a façade. Do we really need everyone to put up a boilerplate post voicing worry for the passengers before continuing with what they really want to discuss?

Your opinion would better apply to those people who wish injury and death upon innocent people. Leave the normal folks alone.

Yooo....I just heard about this on the news....holy f**k. I hope everyone is ok. Looks as if the train stayed upright, so nothing tooo serious for passengers. I would hate to be in that situation. How the hell does 6 cars come off the tracks? Any structural damage to the tunnels/train? How do they remove a derailed train? Ugh, good luck everyone involved with that derailment.

. I can respect that fair enough!

Reached my quota, but for the record, +1, owe you one.

Yes as you've stated we will have to wait and see how this pending investigation turns out knowing now from the insider information you provided that the train crews did their job. Perhaps its really the CCC that will have to ultimately take responsibility for this. But we'll see what happens I guess.

Yooo....I just heard about this on the news....holy f**k. I hope everyone is ok. Looks as if the train stayed upright, so nothing tooo serious for passengers. I would hate to be in that situation. How the hell does 6 cars come off the tracks? Any structural damage to the tunnels/train? How do they remove a derailed train? Ugh, good luck everyone involved with that derailment.

Above ground you would just get a crane and carefully haul it back up onto unbroken rails but I have no clue how they are going to do it in enclosed tunnels....

Above ground you would just get a crane and carefully haul it back up onto unbroken rails but I have no clue how they are going to do it in enclosed tunnels....

The last time I saw it done in the tunnels large air bags (Yes! Air bags) were placed under the cars, I guess to take some weight off the trucks, and specialized hydraulic jacks were used to lift the trucks up and manuver them back onto the track.

Again, that was some time ago. I'm not sure if things have changed since then.

The last time I saw it done in the tunnels large air bags (Yes! Air bags) were placed under the cars, I guess to take some weight off the trucks, and specialized hydraulic jacks were used to lift the trucks up and manuver them back onto the track.

Again, that was some time ago. I'm not sure if things have changed since then.

Wow, cool. So thats how its done, if a train ended up off course in a tunnel.

This is according to the NY Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/straphangers-stranded-train-derails-queens-subway-station-article-1.1776881#ixzz30egJLAwk

"The F train that derailed in Queens on Friday exposed the dangers of failure-prone tracks and the need to expedite a planned replacement program that is at least a year away.

The train, carrying about 1,000 people, broke free of the rails on an express track near the local station at Broadway and 65th St. in Woodside. The area falls within one of five zones the MTA has deemed “critical rail break” corridors and slated for future replacement.

The Queens trouble zone, along the Queens Blvd. line between 50th St. and 71st St./Continental Ave. in Forest Hills, had 205 broken rails between 2005 and 2012 — the second-highest concentration during that period of any part of the subway system."

"The Queens sector and four others were selected for a multimillion-dollar project to replace rails and weld them together for greater strength, but the project won’t begin until 2015, at the earliest. Rails in the Queens corridor, and throughout the vast majority of the system’s 659 miles of track, are bolted and fastened together, not welded.

The so-called “continuous-welded-rail” initiative is planned as part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s next capital plan, which has not been funded by the state or the federal government."

========================================================================

Also reports the Daily News, the train crew received praise from NYPD and NYPD officials for their swift course of action to start a timely and safe evacuation of the derailed train as soon as possible.

No foul play was found on the part of the two man train crew (News which was already announced by transit personnel here on this board previous to this article in the NY Daily News being published)

In fact the T/O involved in the incident made it clear that the rails simply broke and derailed his train in a freak accident.

So now the key question has to do with the Capitol Construction Committee (Not the hard working track workers who shouldn't be shouldering responsibility for this but the committee itself) and why they could not receive the funding from NYS or the federal government fast enough to start the track replacement program initiative any sooner, knowing that stretches of the QBL is not up to par. 

Ironically city officials are criticizing the MTA over safety yet they don't want to pay for rail infrastructure improvements! Talk about hypocrites!

Let me educate some of you experts here... If the first and last cars remain on the track (as what happened here). Good chance track is going to eat this. Second for you experts here there was track work in that area the night before. So before you experts comment on something most of you know nothing about wait and see what the report finds...

Exactly some of these young kid know it all buffs are like flies to s**t when it comes to "incidents" in the system.

But those who know the least know it the loudest right?

I wonder if they're going to have the Plaza-Roosevelt section down all weekend?

Not sure but I guess it depends on the progress made on clearing the site of the wreck. Pendergrast also alluded to the track/signal inspection. Thats a good question.

Archived