Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

Guys! Not the perfect time for foam but the (C) is borrowing from either the (E)(F) or (R) ! (Meaning R160)

Link: http://youtu.be/4_xQBhrm4QQ

I also heard (according to PIX 11) that the T/O was arrested for manslaughter for 15 Years because he was drunk

You mean Robert Ray from the 1991 Union Square wreck? Yes that is true. He was intoxicated, and moving a R62A consist on the (4) erratically. He finally jumped the tracks going over 40 MPH in a 18 MPH zone in the 14th Street Area on the Lexington Ave Line. 

BTW thanks for posting the video.

Updated Daily News article (As of 5:06 PM) can be found here: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/straphangers-stranded-train-derails-queens-subway-station-article-1.1776881

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean Robert Ray from the 1991 Union Square wreck? Yes that is true. He was intoxicated, and moving a R62A consist on the (4) erratically. He finally jumped the tracks going over 40 MPH in a 18 MPH zone in the 14th Street Area on the Lexington Ave Line.

BTW thanks for posting the video.

Yeah! It was excessive foaming tho! They are rerouted (E) 's. And I know. I meant the (F) T/O got arrested.

I never thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing out this vital point. If this is not due to broken rails, the train could have been going too fast in the 30 MPH zone.

*Now I am reading that service has resumed but only until 10 PM tonight where they will shut down the IND QBL again according to Ben Kabek fro Second Ave Sagas:

Why don't they run (E)(F) trains between Jamaica and Forest Hills? Also, would a local shuttle bus via Queens Blvd between Queens Plaza and Forest Hills + a express shuttle between Queens Plaza and Forest Hills via I-495 work?

Why don't they run (E)(F) trains between Jamaica and Forest Hills? Also, would a local shuttle bus via Queens Blvd between Queens Plaza and Forest Hills + a express shuttle between Queens Plaza and Forest Hills via I-495 work?

I'm not clear on this but they may have to inspect the entire length of the line in Queens as the investigation begins. That may be a possible reason for the overnight shutdown. Also from the Daily News link, their photos from their team of journalists shows the beamwork literally was warped creating a safety hazard, something not revealed on the MTA Flickr site and their photos of the wreck. This is a no joke accident.

I'm not clear on this but they may have to inspect the entire length of the line in Queens as the investigation begins. That may be a possible reason for the overnight shutdown. Also from the Daily News link, it shows the beamwork literally was warped creating a safety hazard. This is a no joke accident.

There might be rerouted (M) ! To Chambers St is my guess. This is affecting the (MTA) severely. First, the (R) Montague Tube due to Sandy. Now, the derailment. This R46 might be scrapped or repair. My guess is scrapped because the R46 is already more than a decade old even though they are a good quality for (F) & we might see an R160 on the (A)(B) or (D):o maybe (G)

There might be rerouted (M) ! To Chambers St is my guess. This is affecting the (MTA) severely. First, the (R) Montague Tube due to Sandy. Now, the derailment. This R46 might be scrapped or repair. My guess is scrapped because the R46 is already more than a decade old even though they are a good quality for (F)

Well as far as I know the (M) is terminating at Essex Street and not running via 6th Avenue or Nassau Street at all. Status can be found here: http://www.mta.info/status/subway/BDFM/23317750

Also the shutdown of the QBL is only for one night. So we may see (M) service to Forest Hills restored by Monday.

Well as far as I know the (M) is terminating at Essex Street and not running via 6th Avenue or Nassau Street at all. Status can be found here: http://www.mta.info/status/subway/BDFM/23317750

Also the shutdown of the QBL is only for one night. So we may see (M) service to Forest Hills restored by Monday.

The QBL line is closed for this weekend for sure. The (M) should run to Bay Pkwy just for the weekend and Monday for customers headed to Brooklyn due to no (R) in Queens and Brooklyn.

The QBL line is closed for this weekend for sure. The (M) should run to Bay Pkwy just for the weekend and Monday for customers headed to Brooklyn due to no (R) in Queens and Brooklyn.

Operations will resume on Saturday @ 7AM. http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/05/02/local-e-f-train-service-restored-in-queens-but-only-until-10-p-m/

As for the article citing that the (M) is running to Chambers I am not clear on that as the MTA site says it is terminating at Essex so the two sources conflict. 

Two questions: How? And why? Remember, Montague is shut down, so no trains can run from Broadway or Nassau St to Downtown Brooklyn until further notice. And what would be the point even if the M could run down there? The trains still won't get to where they're supposed to be, which is Queens Boulevard.

Operations will resume on Saturday @ 7AM. http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/05/02/local-e-f-train-service-restored-in-queens-but-only-until-10-p-m/

As for the article citing that the (M) is running to Chambers I am not clear on that as the MTA site says it is terminating at Essex so the two sources conflict. 

Usually when the MTA posts there is no service between Essex St and Queens Blvd, trains from Metropolitan Av are turned at Chambers St so they don't delay the J trains behind it.

It definitely makes more sense for the (M) to terminate at Chambers, considering that Chambers has the two middle tracks dedicated to turning trains, while the (J) could continue to run to/from Broad St via the two outer tracks.

The LIRR and (J)(Z) can cover for the (E), but what will be covering for the (F) to 179 tonight? Also, I sure hope that the depots in the city have enough arctics (or even buses in general) to cover shuttle buses. The buses are going to be packed beyond hell tonight. Perhaps College Point brings in a few MCIs to help out with the crowds as well.

The LIRR and (J)(Z) can cover for the (E), but what will be covering for the (F) to 179 tonight? Also, I sure hope that the depots in the city have enough arctics (or even buses in general) to cover shuttle buses. The buses are going to be packed beyond hell tonight. Perhaps College Point brings in a few MCIs to help out with the crowds as well.

The (E) itself! Read my quote above 

The (R) would run from 57 St/7Av to 95 St on early morning tommorow until Queens Blvd is resumed.

Even after tommorrow I don't believe that (R) is going to be restored, there will be too many trains. Also on one news source the MTA states that those tracks we're replaced 20-30 yrs ago

It definitely makes more sense for the (M) to terminate at Chambers, considering that Chambers has the two middle tracks dedicated to turning trains, while the (J) could continue to run to/from Broad St via the two outer tracks.

CP ain't doing anything to help...I just got off the QM1, and the CP routes that go across Queens Blvs are an absolute mess. There were no extra buses, and everyone was pissed as hell. The lines for the 1/5/6 were a block deep, buses were full and skipping stops all over the place. What a mess. They had hours to get extra buses in place, but didn't do anything. They need better coordination

CP ain't doing anything to help...I just got off the QM1, and the CP routes that go across Queens Blvs are an absolute mess. There were no extra buses, and everyone was pissed as hell. The lines for the 1/5/6 were a block deep, buses were full and skipping stops all over the place. What a mess. They had hours to get extra buses in place, but didn't do anything. They need better coordination

The (MTA) is not going to provide extra express bus service... Do they seriously think that everyone wants to schlepp on the local bus? lol

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I remember when the (4)(5)(6) were basically suspended for hours on Lexington during the RUSH and Tuskugee Airmen depot didn't do shit to add more buses on the M101, M102 and M103. There were literally shouting matches between pissed subway riders and the bus driver on my M101 LTD.

Every depot in the city should get involved with the shuttle buses on Queens blvd. It is probably an absolutely mess out there right now.

Including some amatuer videos of the immediate aftermath of the derailment:

In this report TA head Tom Pendergrast mentions that a full inspection as part of the ongoing investigation of the accident (1:03 mark) will take place. The media agency edited out his complete response so it can be assumed this is why the line will be shut down completely from end to end after 10PM tonight. The entire stretch of the IND Queens Blvd lines tracks and signals will be thoroughly inspected as the investigation continues.

Including some amatuer videos of the immediate aftermath of the derailment:

In this report TA head Tom Pendergrast mentions that a full inspection as part of the ongoing investigation of the accident (1:03 mark) will take place. The media agency edited out his complete response so it can be assumed this is why the line will be shut down completely from end to end after 10PM tonight. The entire stretch of the IND Queens Blvd lines tracks and signals will be thoroughly inspected as the investigation continues.

Very Good!

The (M) btw is running to Chambers St. Mr. Rail fans Vid

I missed that particular (F) train by about 15 minutes. I was forced to go via the 7 train to get to Manhattan since I didn't know about the cross honoring.

I avoided the Q60, I already knew that was gonna be crushed.

Going back to Jamaica, I simply took the (L) to the (J). The (J) ran perfectly and wasn't anymore crowded than it was on a regular day.

Heard the shuttles, the Q60, the (7), all of it was a mess.

Archived