Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

Ugh... Who gives a damn what type of train it was... <_<   What's important is that everyone is ok.  Human life is far more important than a hunk of machinery. I have my preferences when it comes to trains, preferably the newer ones, but that's mainly because they're cleaner, brighter and offer automated announcements and better AC.  Otherwise I couldn't care less.

Reality check: this is a transit forum, when major events occur to transit vehicles or properties it's going to pique interest. It doesn't take away from the human toll of the incident to examine the other details of the incident such as location, vehicle involved, how it occurred, etc, etc, etc.

I'll concede that biGC and j express should not be worrying (key word here) about the train when the are injured people in the picture, but that's as far as I'll go. There's nothing wrong with discussing the topic in and of itself.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this derailment affect E,F,M, and R train service on the weekend?

Very likely. The MTA made the decision to let the (7) run throughout the entire weekend while a emergency weekend GO is in place in the IND Queens Blvd Line.

Reality check: this is a transit forum, when major events occur to transit vehicles or properties it's going to pique interest. It doesn't take away from the human toll of the incident to examine the other details of the incident such as location, vehicle involved, how it occurred, etc, etc, etc.

I'll concede that biGC and j express should not be worrying (key word here) about the train when the are injured people in the picture, but that's as far as I'll go. There's nothing wrong with discussing the topic in and of itself.

Don't give me this nonsense about reality check.  A few other members made similar comments and yet you only quote me.  Please... You're the one who needs a reality check.  I'm sure that the people riding the train save for some obsessed rail fan really gave two sh*ts what type of car was derailing.  They were concerned about their lives.  

Right now I am on an R188 (7)

CR's says

Ladies And Gentleman! There are no trains running at 74th St-Broadway. For alternatives, take shuttle buses to Manhattan. Again, ladies and gentleman, there is no (E)(F) or (R) train service! Shuttle buses are running. For alternatives also take the (4)(5)(6) trains at Grand Central. The LIRR at Woodside is cross line the MetroCards (and that I didn't understand him.)

Please enter in the nearest doors please. Step all the way in and stand clear of the closing doors.

It sure looks like a broken rail. In one of the pictures the rail doesn't even seem to be there! I'm not sure if ATH was on it... he might of just had the details of what happened. If 5636 was in the front, I would have been there a lot longer and possibly been on the news. I almost stayed for the news interviews but decided to check out the reroutes instead (Got an R160 (C) ).

It seems speed was one of the factors of the derailment. When I was on the train, that T/O was hauling it past 65 Street as fast as he could go. Then again, many of the other trains go fast there too. If the rail didn't break, he would have had to slow down for the timers anyway.

Watch, now they're going to put timers there and kill the express run. Glad I was on the last train to go that fast there :P

Thank God your ok

Don't give me this nonsense about reality check.

I'm not about to get into another full blown debate with you, so this'll be my last post on this thread. I really don't give a rat's a** whether or not you agree with me, but I feel compelled to put this out there.

A few other members made similar comments and yet you only quote me.

There was one other person who made the comment, and it's equally valid to him as to you. Problem is, I saw your post first, so I responded to your post first. Not rocket science, stop taking it so personally.

Please... You're the one who needs a reality check.  I'm sure that the people riding the train save for some obsessed rail fan really gave two sh*ts what type of car was derailing.  They were concerned about their lives.

What the hell kind of argument is this? People who are riding the train wouldn't give two sh**s about what type it is even if there was no derailment.

Again, I conceded that it was wrong to be concerned ("I hope it wasn't an R160", "Im sad that it had to be one of my childhood trains that had to be derailed.") about the train when there are injured humans. If you reread my post, you'll see that. However, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that it was an R46, or identifying what caused the accident, etc. Your post "who gives a damn what type of train it was" clearly condemns that too.

You want to know why?

Because this is a transit forum. People who are interested in the internal workings of transit go on this forum. Like I said before, you are NOT taking away from the human toll if you examine the other areas that the incident concerns - only if you are more concerned about the vehicles involved than the people. Are you disregarding everyone involved in the Titanic accident if you identify the ship in particular rather than saying "it's just some boat"? How about those in the missing Malaysian plane if you say that it was a Boeing 777 involved? The list goes on and on.

Stop trying to push others down to climb up on your high horse(s).

Good day.

I'm not about to get into another full blown debate with you, so this'll be my last post on this thread. I really don't give a rat's a** whether or not you agree with me, but I feel compelled to put this out there.

There was one other person who made the comment, and it's equally valid to him as to you. Problem is, I saw your post first, so I responded to your post first. Not rocket science, stop taking it so personally.

What the hell kind of argument is this? People who are riding the train wouldn't give two sh**s about what type it is even if there was no derailment.

Again, I conceded that it was wrong to be concerned ("I hope it wasn't an R160", "Im sad that it had to be one of my childhood trains that had to be derailed.") about the train when there are injured humans. If you reread my post, you'll see that. However, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that it was an R46, or identifying what caused the accident, etc. Your post "who gives a damn what type of train it was" clearly condemns that too.

You want to know why?

Because this is a transit forum. People who are interested in the internal workings of transit go on this forum. Like I said before, you are NOT taking away from the human toll if you examine the other areas that the incident concerns - only if you are more concerned about the vehicles involved than the people. Are you disregarding everyone involved in the Titanic accident if you identify the ship in particular rather than saying "it's just some boat"? How about those in the missing Malaysian plane if you say that it was a Boeing 777 involved? The list goes on and on.

Stop trying to push others down to climb up on your high horse(s).

Good day.

So because this is a transit forum people don't need to be sensitive to human lives?  That's a pretty lame excuse.  Sure, nothing wrong with identifying what type of train it is, but to sit here and worry about whether or not it was one of your childhood trains?  Seriously?  Give me a break.  My personality has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand, so grow up and leave the nonsense about me being on "my high horse" out of it.  Some folks take this way too seriously. Then again we're talking about immature kids, you included, and some immature grow ups too, so what else should I expect? <_<   Anytime I talk about a train or a bus it's usually in a joking manner.  All I care about is comfort.  Good AC, clean, etc.  The rest doesn't really matter.

It's not about taking it personally.  It's just that you only seem to find a problem with my posts, so yeah I'm calling you out on it. 

Well, for the record, this can't have an affect on the M this weekend as the M isn't running at all.

A rebuild of the Myrtle interlocking has the J and M bustitiued, the J between Broadway junction and Marcy and the M between Metro and Marcy. J shuttle trains will run between B'way Junction and Parsons and Marcy and Chambers, so here's a chance to see J trains relay via J3-4 going in the opposite direction they usually do.

That's always been a fast area, but before the turn at the bottom of the hill it was always rocky for as long as I can remember; even back in the 90's when the R32's were running. They redid the curve with new concrete and ties, but not the tracks leading up to it. I guess they finally gave away.

So because this is a transit forum people don't need to be sensitive to human lives?  That's a pretty lame excuse.  Sure, nothing wrong with identifying what type of train it is, but to sit here and worry about whether or not it was one of your childhood trains?  Seriously?  Give me a break.  My personality has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand, so grow up and leave the nonsense about me being on "my high horse" out of it.  Some folks take this way too seriously. Then again we're talking about immature kids, you included, and some immature grow ups too, so what else should I expect? <_<   Anytime I talk about a train or a bus it's usually in a joking manner.  All I care about is comfort.  Good AC, clean, etc.  The rest doesn't really matter.

It's not about taking it personally.  It's just that you only seem to find a problem with my posts, so yeah I'm calling you out on it. 

Dude, he already wrote that it was wrong for these posters to worry more about the train itself.

Again, I conceded that it was wrong to be concerned ("I hope it wasn't an R160", "Im sad that it had to be one of my childhood trains that had to be derailed.") about the train when there are injured humans.

Dude, he already wrote that it was wrong for these posters to worry more about the train itself.

The point is there was no need for him to even confront me about my post, period, like he needs to clarify something I said.  The kid needs to get lost and worry about himself. Rather sick of him trying to pick a fight with me.

Don't give me this nonsense about reality check.  A few other members made similar comments and yet you only quote me.  Please... You're the one who needs a reality check.  I'm sure that the people riding the train save for some obsessed rail fan really gave two sh*ts what type of car was derailing.  They were concerned about their lives.

Why should anyone be concerned what other people's concerns are?

First of all the time it was posted there was no injuries reported..They said it was an minor derailment and that no one was hurt..Thats why i said what type of train...Of course i have a heart people are 1st...Please dont make it seems if that i care more about trains than the life of the passengers...   

I don't think i've agreed with VG8 more than two or three times in my entire time here, but this is one of those times. He's right. It doesn't matter if it was an R46 or R160. It's all about the safety of the passengers. This may be a transit forum, but it can be a news outlet or information center for incidents like this. The OP didn't mention in his title about it being an R46. A response triggered it, but in reality, it means nothing, so your point holds no weight.

How do the 6 middle cars derail but the outer 2 don't? If I had to guess there might have been a broken rail after the first car passed and the rest of the cars came off but that is really bizarre...

I'm beginning to think so. m7zanr160s stated on the last page that even as the spur as the QBL separates into two tunnels have new proxy ties installed the actual straight 50 MPH shot 30 MPH shot ROW in the vicinity of 65th Street on the express tracks has its original roadbed intact.

Is that what you noticed as a commuter as well? If thats the case and I was wondering about the same thing from the times I have to ride on the QBL that may be the reason. I'm still waiting for news updates to confirm this. It seems as of late as far as NYC Transit is concerned the derailments occurring recently (Like the West 4th Street derailment also on the (F) ironically enough and involving a R46 set ) are due to broken rails. So I think in this case it has to be because of the rail infrastructure itself. The MTA really needs to focus on keeping the railbeds in good condition here.

The Train Operator is likely going to shoulder some of the blame as there is a 30MPH speed limit through that area. If the T/O was speeding as fast as some say they did, they may lose their handles or be demoted. 

Why tell people what THEY should be worried about, leave ya comment and keep it moving 

Because sometimes it's necessary.  

First of all the time it was posted there was no injuries reported..They said it was an minor derailment and that no one was hurt..Thats why i said what type of train...Of course i have a heart people are 1st...Please dont make it seems if that i care more about trains than the life of the passengers...   

Well that's the impression that your post had.  Seems like every time there's a tragedy someone here starts yelling out about oh I hope such and such bus isn't scraped.  Oh that's my favorite car... It's a hunk of machinery.  Nothing to go crazy about.

Why should anyone be concerned what other people's concerns are?

That's a very nice way of you trying to excuse those ridiculous comments...

We're lucky that the train didn't topple or anything after coming off the rails. The amount of momentum of several R46s cars going 30, 35 or even 40 mph would be at least several million kilograms*meters/second, which could have easily toppled the train. Luckily only 19 people out of the reported 1000 people on the train were hurt.

As for the members who are worrying about whether the train is a R46 or R160... you guys need to get your priorities straightened out.

The Train Operator is likely going to shoulder some of the blame as there is a 30MPH speed limit through that area. If the T/O was speeding as fast as some say they did, they may lose their handles or be demoted. 

I never thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing out this vital point. If this is not due to broken rails, the train could have been going too fast in the 30 MPH zone.

*Now I am reading that service has resumed but only until 10 PM tonight where they will shut down the IND QBL again according to Ben Kabek fro Second Ave Sagas:

As crews work to inspect and then remove a derailed F train underneath Woodside, Queens, New York City Transit has announced that local E and F train service has been restored along the Queens Boulevard line in both directions, but with a catch. To facilitate removal of the derailed train, this local service will operate only until 10 p.m. tonight, and then no trains will run along the Queens Boulevard line in both directions until 7 a.m. Saturday. Riders should expect “limited shuttle bus service” and should use the 7, J or LIRR trains instead.

During the evening rush and until further notice, M and R trains will not run along Queens Boulevard. R trains will terminate at 57th St.-7th Ave. in Manhattan, and M trains will operate between Metropolitan Ave. and Chambers St. The LIRR will cross-honoring valid MetroCards in both directions between Penn Station and Jamaica Station, including Kew Gardens, Forest Hills and Woodside, as well as stops between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica. Planned weekend services changes for the J, M and 7 trains have since been canceled.

Guys! Not the perfect time for foam but the (C) is borrowing from either the (E)(F) or (R) ! (Meaning R160)

Link: http://youtu.be/4_xQBhrm4QQ

I never thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing out this vital point. If this is not due to broken rails, the train could have been going too fast in the 30 MPH zone.

*Now I am reading that service has resumed but only until 10 PM tonight where they will shut down the IND QBL again according to Ben Kabek fro Second Ave Sagas:

I also heard (according to PIX 11) that the T/O was arrested for manslaughter for 15 Years because he was drunk

Archived