Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

Is there any info how fast the train was when it derailed and what the top speed of trains is in the subway system?

Well the train crew in regards to travelling at excessive speeds has been ruled out but theres no information on the actual speed of the train. According to the NYPD they played everything by the book and no violations has been made on their part. The official max speed for NYC Transit is 55 MPH even though in certain parts of the system, R160s in particular can hit 60 MPH. In the case of that stretch on the IND Queens Blvd in question, the established speed limit is 30 MPH.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realizm and 4P3607 will most likely be right. Southbound (E) and (F) trains would no longer fly through 65th and midway in the tunnel until near 36th like they used to. Subject to change of course. Still love that hauling speed though.

Speaking of the derailment, I had to wait for an hour for a Bay Ridge bound (R) train at 59 St from 6 to 7 a.m. I started to get pissed when 5 southbound (N) trains came with no (R)

Yeah well that can't be right because you know those (R) trains always run according to the schedule according to some around here. *Sarcasm*

Is there any info how fast the train was when it derailed and what the top speed of trains is in the subway system?

There weren't any R160's on the (C) ! Those were rerouted (E) trains, which have to be changed to the (C) program since there's no (E) to 168.

I wasnt lying about that. Usually the first (R) from 71 Av arrived at 59 St around 6:10 a.m and the (R) I got came from 57 St/7 Av 42 minutes later and I heard that the station agent said that there was a delay. This was today early morning.

it 50-50 as right now. likely the mta fault more then manufacture imo. i remember a similar incident on NJT switch. The NJT workers was installing and repairing a switch and when train run over the switch, the train derail. it NJT workers fault because they didn't align the track properly according to the gauge. 

very rare to hear it manufacture fault. but let wait and see who to blame. it could be the old tie that just old and gave way. 

There weren't any R160's on the (C) ! Those were rerouted (E) trains, which have to be changed to the (C) program since there's no (E) to 168.

I heard there was an 8 car set on the (C) as well. Rerouted (M) ?

it 50-50 as right now. likely the mta fault more then manufacture imo. i remember a similar incident on NJT switch. The NJT workers was installing and repairing a switch and when train run over the switch, the train derail. it NJT workers fault because they didn't align the track properly according to the gauge. 

very rare to hear it manufacture fault. but let wait and see who to blame. it could be the old tie that just old and gave way.

In reading the thread from normal riders that area was always the bumpiest of the trip which meant the track was seated incorrectly. Also in the photos on page 3 shows tie down screws for gauge plates which are clean of any wood meaning they came out cleanly and they weren't designed to do it. So either the ties failed or somebody forgot to tighten them down enough. The bumpy ride was the tracks flexing as they weren't ballasted properly or were not level.

It's pretty much established the train crew isn't at fault for the derailment. The newly laid tracks in that area likely are the reason. That's why the MTA is investigating whether there were any defects in the tracks or if they were installed incorrectly.

So if the rail broke, who'd be at fault? The manufacturer or the track workers?..

That can be determined through metallurgical testing, among other things.

According to the MTA site the (Q) is running to Astoria for some reason.

The (R) is beginning/ending at 57 Street-7 Avenue so it doesn't delay the (E) and (F) trying to pass through at 71 Avenue, as the two aforementioned lines are making all local stops on Queens Boulevard. That's why the (Q) is extended to/from Astoria, Queens.

So if the rail broke, who'd be at fault? The manufacturer or the track workers?..

It's fairly easily to determine whether the manufacturer used the correct composition to make the steel alloy. If lab tests determine that the correct materials were in the rail, then cause would most likely be incorrect installation

So if the rail broke, who'd be at fault? The manufacturer or the track workers?.. That can be determined through metallurgical testing, among other things. According to the MTA site the (Q) is running to Astoria for some reason.
I was in a car on the GCP and looked at the Astoria Blvd station and I saw some Q trains.Using Tapatalk

Which of the cars have damage and what kind of damage and how severe?Using Tapatalk

Agreed.I also saw a graphic from the Daily News showing that QBL (50TH LL-Continental) has has the most track faults recently.Im looking around for it-if I find it I will post it here.

I guess that part of the line's going to have to get some Fastrack repairs...

It's fairly easily to determine whether the manufacturer used the correct composition to make the steel alloy. If lab tests determine that the correct materials were in the rail, then cause would most likely be incorrect installation

Actually the broken rail gives the answers. The break under examination can tell if the rail was made correctly where analysis would be in spec but had concentrations in the wrong amounts at the break but Xray analysis will show addition cracking not seen but nature and angles of what type of forces acting on the track giving if the installation was wrong and how.

The (R) is beginning/ending at 57 Street-7 Avenue so it doesn't delay the (E) and (F) trying to pass through at 71 Avenue, as the two aforementioned lines are making all local stops on Queens Boulevard. That's why the (Q) is extended to/from Astoria, Queens.

More or less yeah. Basically just so that the (Q) doesn't get delayed, it was extended to Astoria.

I guess that part of the line's going to have to get some Fastrack repairs...

Yeah, well - QBL express service - lo and behold - is suspended late nights for the next two weeks and also for the next two weekends. 

Rumblings on Twitter say that full service will be restored at 5 am

Press release on the MTA site says the same thing. Probably just going to leave extra time and walk the extra mile to the N in the morning. I don't trust service to be normal. 

There might have been an R46 on the (E) after service resumed. Earlier at Roosevelt Avenue I saw the back of 5678 going SB, switching to the local track with the back rollsign displaying (E) . It's possible that it ran after service resumed since they were probably scrambling to find any trains that were available after service resumed between Jamaica and Roosevelt Avenue.

No there wasn't....

Archived