Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see. Makes sense now. As confirmed by transit personnel on this board there was ongoing track work done the night before the derailment. I guess in the several nights prior to as well, no? It sounds like that AP article may be much more accurate than the DN article.

Is it true that the R46 are getting OOS For a while and the r40 Slants are going to replace them? (MTA) will repair get them clean and brand new again and going back into service In the meantime. Some R38 might too.

Where did u get this info? its bullshit. theres is only 1 two car set of R40 Slants and 1 two car R38 and they are dead.

Is it true that the R46 are getting OOS For a while and the r40 Slants are going to replace them? (MTA) will repair get them clean and brand new again and going back into service In the meantime. Some R38 might too.

If you honestly believed that joke post, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yup. The mta.info site was also updated a few minutes ago to reflect the tweet regarding the (E) . (F) local train service has also been restored to 179th Street. (R) service in Queens is still suspended, and of course as stated in above post, the (E) local to Jamaica Center has also been reactivated.

Also the MTA service status as of now states that this change will be in effect until 10PM only.

E and F local service has been restored to the line and will remain in place until 10pm tonight. After that through Sunday morning, shuttle buses will once again be running so they can remove the remaining four cars from the site and repair the damaged section of track. R service will likely stay off Queens Blvd for the duration of the weekend.

An AP report now says the rail that broke was BRAND NEW, only WEEKS OLD.

Suck on that Daily News!

Just as I speculated earlier in the post. I'm wondering whether there the rail had structural problems undetected by the manufacturer or if the MTA workers installed it incorrectly.

Just as I speculated earlier in the post. I'm wondering whether there the rail had structural problems undetected by the manufacturer or if the MTA workers installed it incorrectly.

I'm wondering if the CCC itself is the unintended source of the problem? It could ultimately be problems within upper management sort of speak. There could be a lack of money on the part of the MTA as many of these improvement projects are not funded by the state or federal government. The financial committee might be completely taking up the costs on infrastructure from strictly fare collection revenue.

Well old news I guess but for the record, it is confirmed on the MTA site, the cause of the derailment:

article1_zps2164e087.jpgarticle2_zpsa902709c.jpgarticle3_zpsa120d6e9.jpg

"MTA New York City Transit is investigating the cause of the derailment. The section of rail in question is stamped with markings indicating it was manufactured in the United States in November 2013, and a preliminary canvass of maintenance records shows it was installed in March 2014. The rail will be sent for metallurgical testing as part of the investigation.

MTA NYCT has an aggressive program to fix and prevent broken rails along its 660 miles of mainline track. Track workers walk every inch of the subway system twice a week looking for flaws, and specialized rail cars scan the rails to find hidden flaws every other month. While every rail system experiences occasional rail breaks, the MTA’s continuous goal is to reduce them as much as possible."

So along with the fact as revealed by transit personnel that work was being done in that area as of last night, something may be due to the rails itself in the way it was manufactured, a defect apparently, not necessarily the way it was installed by track division.

So along with the fact as revealed by transit personnel that work was being done in that area as of last night, something may be due to the rails itself in the way it was manufactured, a defect apparently, not necessarily the way it was installed by track division.

If the installation process wasn't the problem, my guess would be that the composition of the rail could have been messed up. Rails are usually made up to steel alloys, and these alloys consist of mainly Iron and Carbon, along with other elements such as manganese and chromium. Even the slightest mess up in the ratios of these elements can significantly weaken steel.

If the installation process wasn't the problem, my guess would be that the composition of the rail could have been messed up. Rails are usually made up to steel alloys, and these alloys consist of mainly Iron and Carbon, along with other elements such as manganese and chromium. Even the slightest mess up in the ratios of these elements can significantly weaken steel.

Bingo.

In other words, purchasing and the MTA, they bought up some really cheap low quality steel, basically.

There might have been an R46 on the (E) after service resumed. Earlier at Roosevelt Avenue I saw the back of 5678 going SB, switching to the local track with the back rollsign displaying (E) . It's possible that it ran after service resumed since they were probably scrambling to find any trains that were available after service resumed between Jamaica and Roosevelt Avenue.

There might have been an R46 on the (E) after service resumed. Earlier at Roosevelt Avenue I saw the back of 5678 going SB, switching to the local track with the back rollsign displaying (E) . It's possible that it ran after service resumed since they were probably scrambling to find any trains that were available after service resumed between Jamaica and Roosevelt Avenue.

Possibility because the R160 ran on the (C) and the (R) was not running. Either borrowed sets from the (C)(F) or (R)

[sarcasm]It's great that you're there as a moral compass to show others the right way to be a human being.[/sarcasm]

"Ridiculous" is in the ear of the hearer. Some people would very much love an environment where they aren't condemned for not putting up a façade. Do we really need everyone to put up a boilerplate post voicing worry for the passengers before continuing with what they really want to discuss?

Your opinion would better apply to those people who wish injury and death upon innocent people. Leave the normal folks alone.

LOL... It's cute that you call some crazed rail fans "normal folks".... 

Archived