NYPD Cracks Down On Texting And Pedestrian-Ignoring Drivers Today - Gothamist

2014_05_copticket.jpg

Drivers, think twice before failing to yield to pedestrians or using your cellphone: The NYPD is on day one of a two-day crackdown on drivers who aren't paying attention to the rules of the road.

The NYPD announced last night that it was started a "citywide initiative to address the use of cell phones/texting while driving and failing to yield to pedestrians."

The NYPD reminds all New Yorkers that the use of a hand held cell phone and texting while driving a vehicle is illegal. Driving while operating, talking, or texting on a cell phone or other similar hand-held device is extremely dangerous and endangers the safety of both drivers and pedestrians.

In addition, preserving the right of way for pedestrians is a primary focus of the NYPD’s traffic safety mission. Motor vehicle operators are also reminded that yielding to pedestrians at intersections is paramount to the safety of all New Yorkers.

The first day of the initiative will begin midnight, Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 and will conclude 24 hours later. The second day of the initiative will begin midnight, Friday, May 16th, 2014 and will conclude 24 hours later.

Read more: Source

=============================================================================
*Note: I'm posting this for motorists as well as pedestrians who use primarily rapid transit on this site, as a heads up: Be careful today when you hit the road. The NYPD is doing a sweep and will be blitzing motorists with tickets ridiculous. So for now until the initial sweep is over play it by the book when on the road.

I further suspect that they may be also blitzing pedestrians with tickets for jaywalking as well although not mentioned on this article. Which is why this article was posted just in time for day one of this NYPD initiative.

Good! Drivers have gotten much worse in the last few years. Whether I'm walking or driving, I now have to be even more defensive because of these idiots on the road.

Admittably as much as we have reckless drivers yes true, absolutely, we do have our share of simpleton pedestrians who cant understand the concept of traffic lights and spacial distance where it pertains to crossing the street with at least a little common sense. So many times its also the pedestrians and even bikers who also cant follow rules. That is part of the problem too.

Its not traffic lights, pedestrian signs or cars, its people thats the problem who lack common sense IMHO, a seemingly big problem nowadays in New York...

I mean texting drivers is a problem, but hold up what about texting pedestrians while crossing the street, that is a problem too, I see this all the time.

*Not raging at you, you have a good point, I'm just tired of moronic people.

Admittably as much as we have reckless drivers yes true, absolutely, we do have our share of simpleton pedestrians who cant understand the concept of traffic lights and spacial distance where it pertains to crossing the street with at least a little common sense. So many times its also the pedestrians and even bikers who also cant follow rules. That is part of the problem too.

Its not traffic lights, pedestrian signs or cars, its people thats the problem who lack common sense IMHO, a seemingly big problem nowadays in New York...

I mean texting drivers is a problem, but hold up what about texting pedestrians while crossing the street, that is a problem too, I see this all the time.

*Not raging at you, you have a good point, I'm just tired of moronic people.

I definitely agree. I tend to do more walking than driving these days, so I notice the bad drivers more than the bad pedestrians, but when I drive, those dumb pedestrians crossing in the middle of the street wearing dark clothing drive me nuts. 

This generation is OBSESSED with the damn cell phone!! All you see are people walking outside with the cell phones... They're barely able to look up.... It's all part of the "I need to feel important" movement.  Really ridiculous.  Yesterday, I was on the subway and this guy was so absorbed with the damn cell phone that I had to just shoulder him out of my way.  Almost knocked him off of the train because instead of letting everyone off of the train, he just gets on like no one is getting off.  Then again with his head in his damn phone, why would I expect anything else.

Hmm, I look at my cellphone a lot but it's not because I need to feel important, It's just easy to access information.

Yes and no...technology these days destroyed social interactions unfortunately. That and it severely distracts driving.

Have you been in the area from Ground Zero to Wall Street via Broadway with these pedestrians? In regards to these mindless dolts, I paraphrase Janet Jackson: "We are a part of a Zombie Nation"

It's not just only car drivers, I have seen carriage drivers texting or talking on cell phone behind horse carriage as well.

If we're going there, might as well crack down on pedestrians and their texting and walking nonsense, I can't even count on my two hands how many people have done this and almost get slammed by a car or bus.

Archived