Montague Street Tube Repair Progress Plus South Ferry Repair Progress 6/12/2014 (My Photos.)

lol... Do you even use the (R) regularly? You're still in school IIRC... Completely different compared to Tokkemon who works in the city... After working 8+ hours a day, you want your commute to be as painless as possible, so I can see why he would be tired of that set up.

Since when does someone who lives in Riverdale cares about the (R) and Brooklyn riders all of the sudden? That's news to me. 

Brooklyn R has been wonderful weekdays since the split service.  The most I've had to wait for a rush-hour R train at 59th St Bklyn (towards Bay Ridge) at 6pm has been 10 minutes, since they are on 7.5 minute headways now. 

However, last year, 25 or 30 minute waits at 6pm were a regular occurrence, with 5 or 6 N express trains coming, and the crowd 6 deep on the platform to go to Bay Ridge.  Do people really want to wait 30 minutes at rush-hour all over again just so they can get their "one seat ride"??  They will get their wish no later than October of this year. 

Weekend R service has been atrocious through all of 2014, since Queens causes MAJOR delays to Brooklyn and Manhattan service.

Bingo exactly my experience. At 9.5 TPH rush hours thats a good deal save for the fact that we dont have the one seat ride (Which will change of course). Even on weekends its not too bad via the Manny B. Yes its 10 minute waits but its never behind scedule, very rare. RTO division must be doind=g something right. However I will dmit sometimes in the evening, weekends, S/B it can occasionally be sluggish but again the exception rather than the rule.

Definitely better then before Pre Sandy. Before Oct 2013 - the R was a mess of a line we all have to admit that.

I hope that when the tunnels are open again for passenger service the T/Ds can see to it that they keep the headways tight on the R and not allow the service back to the disaster it used to be. Best way to explain it.

Edit: Dayam I feel like I'm in a pool of sharks LOL

We're not all privileged to have a ''painless'' commute. If they have to do work, deal with it. 

Spare me with your rthetoric with your two subways that you avoid using...

Every damn day.

To and from Manhattan? That's news to me.

Do you even live in Brooklyn at the moment? <_<

Do you even live in New York at the moment? <_<

Since when does someone who lives in Riverdale cares about the (R) and Brooklyn riders all of the sudden? That's news to me. 

Since when does someone who lives in another state care about the (R) and Brooklyn riders.  #1 I'm from Brooklyn & go back there regularly.  Was there yesterday actually and am also in Bay Ridge regularly.

Since when does the (R) go to Riverdale?

Since when do you care when you have two subways but claim that you must use the express bus?

Spare me with your rthetoric with your two subways that you avoid using...

Since when does someone who lives in another state care about the (R) and Brooklyn riders. #1 I'm from Brooklyn & go back there regularly. Was there yesterday actually and am also in Bay Ridge regularly.

Since when do you care when you have two subways but claim that you must use the express bus?

LOL, it's spelled rhetoric and, if you remember, I told you I take the (1) to 231st to get the BxM1 and sometimes take it back after my driver drops me off.

You visit Bay Ridge regularly, yet your office is located in Midtown Manhattan somewhere.

Just because I ain't rich like you doesn't mean I'm not entitled to express bus service like you. Look at my photo threads. I hardly think I "avoid using the two subways near me".

LOL, it's spelled rhetoric and, if you remember, I told you I take the (1) to 231st to get the BxM1 and sometimes take it back after my driver drops me off.

You visit Bay Ridge regularly, yet your office is located in Midtown Manhattan somewhere.

Just because I ain't rich like you doesn't mean I'm not entitled to express bus service like you. Look at my photo threads. I hardly think I "avoid using the two subways near me".

Yes, last I checked, as a Brooklynite from South Brooklyn, I'm entitled to visit the neighborhoods that I frequented as a kid.  It doesn't matter where I live or where I work.  Has nothing to do with the situation at hand at all. Someone who goes through that much trouble to use the express bus... Smh... No wonder you don't see the problem with having to make extra transfers with the (R).

I'm not the one bitching about other people commutes But to even the score I will.

10445964_326132167540379_728611243459433

Ha!  Very creative... :lol:

Yes, last I checked, as a Brooklynite from South Brooklyn, I'm entitled to visit the neighborhoods that I frequented as a kid.  It doesn't matter where I live or where I work.  Has nothing to do with the situation at hand at all. Someone who goes through that much trouble to use the express bus... Smh... No wonder you don't see the problem with having to make extra transfers with the (R).

It's one transfer. 34th to Jay Street. No big deal. And the system is a lot different from when you ''frequented the neighborhoods you visited as a kid''. Visit them all you want, but unless you live there now, it's impossible to know what it's like. This is really silly considering this will be over with in a matter of months. 

Man guys I got a good laugh out of this, too funny fellas, hilarious!! +1 to all! You too VG8 you got the ill comebacks.  :lol:

Well anyway VG8, no doubt partner, I see what you are saying, good points I say its definitely valid. Even as though I still sat the subway can be faster as its underground travel but it has its downsides too. So my opinion on it is that as I've mentioned, express bus vs subway travel, as far as speed from point A to B? Tbh, depends on location in New York City. So those are my thoughts. 

It's one transfer. 34th to Jay Street. No big deal. And the system is a lot different from when you ''frequented the neighborhoods you visited as a kid''. Visit them all you want, but unless you live there now, it's impossible to know what it's like. This is really silly considering this will be over with in a matter of months. 

Brooklyn has changed a lot... That's why so many Brooklynites have left.  Neighborhods are always changing, not just in Brooklyn, but everywhere.  That has NOTHING to do with one's commute.  If a person has to make several transfers during their commute, the fact that their neighborhood has changed will not make a difference.  Unless the transportation changes in a neighborhood then one's commute will remain the same, period. The system is not that different.  The (R) train still runs like ****.  If anything the subway system has changed for the worst, not better.  If it was so good, you wouldn't be using the subway to take the express bus when you have two subway lines near you. LOL

Riddle me this, how does a photo thread showing progress of the Montague tube rebuild become yet another conversation about express bus service? And how is it always the usual suspects behind the topic shift? Yeah, we get it, you like the express buses over the subway. You don't have to keep mentioning it.

Riddle me this, how does a photo thread showing progress of the Montague tube rebuild become yet another conversation about express bus service? And how is it always the usual suspects behind the topic shift? Yeah, we get it, you like the express buses over the subway. You don't have to keep mentioning it.

You're the moderator.  If I as a poster am going to be singled out then I don't have to post.  I think it's ridiculous that you're singling out people as if no one else ever goes off topic in any forum. Quite frankly I think certain people shouldn't be moderators because they keep the rhetoric going.  A few posts were made about traveling alternatives and you make that comment as if you're oblivious to what was discussed in previous posts.  Give me a break man.

You're the moderator.  If I as a poster am going to be singled out then I don't have to post.  I think it's ridiculous that you're singling out people as if no one else ever goes off topic in any forum. Quite frankly I think certain people shouldn't be moderators because they keep the rhetoric going.  A few posts were made about traveling alternatives and you make that comment as if you're oblivious to what was discussed in previous posts.  Give me a break man.

Problem is, he's right...

Go (MTA) New York City Rapid Transit Wooooo!

Said as a proud subway commuter. +1.

Problem is, he's right...

That's fine. This place has lost enough members who don't agree with the mainstream, so it is what it is.  Soon there will be no one here to post, so if you agree with him, good for you.  With that said, I probably won't bother anymore either.  

That's fine. This place has lost enough members who don't agree with the mainstream, so it is what it is.  Soon there will be no one here to post, so if you agree with him, good for you.  With that said, I probably won't bother anymore either.

Thats not going to happen. Still this is one of the fastest moving transit sites on the net. Keep in mind the fact that its Facebook thats the new thing, thats the reason why things has slowed down on all sites. This is what we are saying in the IT industry. Plus its summertime, it happens every year for the two years I've been here but thats another story.

But anyway yeah the tunnel...

Thats not going to happen. Still this is one of the fastest moving transit sites on the net. Keep in mind the fact that its Facebook thats the new thing, thats the reason why things has slowed down on all sites. This is what we are saying in the IT industry. Plus its summertime, it happens every year for the two years I've been here but thats another story.

But anyway yeah the tunnel...

That's true to some degree, but there are plenty of people that used to post here that have stopped that I was cool with.  I can name several of them in fact and they all pointed to the fact that there are folks here that instigate and/or gang up on other members that don't share their same views just to make themselves feel better.  It's even worse when a moderator does it.  Very mature...

To get back to the Montague situation, I will be curious to see how service on the (R) is after this situation is finished.  Prior to this there was a push to try to get increased (R) service, particularly in Bay Ridge.

Don't worry. Every bit of trouble in this thread has been addressed. If it starts up again, then action will be taken.

To get back to the Montague situation, I will be curious to see how service on the (R) is after this situation is finished.  Prior to this there was a push to try to get increased (R) service, particularly in Bay Ridge.

OK bear with me, since this is a very complicated point that you have just brought up so I will have to be longwinded with this post.

1) Further bus increases in Bay Ridge as much as it is absolutely needed, (and they have with the B37 and the B70) it will be a challenge because of the major hub at 86th Street which is a mess of a hub on a very busy local thoroughway in Bay Ridge where Brooklyn and SI local and express buses intersect. (Now that you reminded me I should do a photo thread on that)

2) Anyway in regards to the 86th Street hub this is what is happening: The B1, the B16, S53, S79 and S93 buses all stop at this intersection. Not to mention that terminus for four of the bus lines the B1, S53, S79 and S93, that intersection is the terminus. To make things even worse the motorist traffic is immense.

3) The S53, S79, and S93 all travel between Bay Ridge and Staten Island. The S79 goes to the Staten Island Mall. The S93 travels to the College of Staten Island (CSI). The average weekday ridership for the three Staten Island buses is 16,000, officials from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority told Board 10 members at a recent meeting I have heard.

4) Yet another problem is the rising tolls on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (MTA shooting itself in the foot much?) are pressuring Staten Island residents out of their vehicles, and opting for the S53, S79, and S93, not to mention the express buses, according to MTA spokespersons. The bridge in terms of capacity for traffic is bursting at the seams literally so there is only so much express buses that can run per hour, for these reasons.

5) Meanwhile at the same time because of limitations of the infrastructure of the 4th Ave Line Dekalb Ave interlocking mess, major congestion point as well as the lower Manhattan corridor, PLUS to make things even worse, the 34th St Junction and Manhattan -and- (bear with me I know...) the 60th St tunnel congestion points all slow down the R if it is running the full route from 95th to Forest Hills.

6) Because of the temporary split, T/Ds can actually keep the headways on the R on point, that is until the tunnel is open. Lets hope we dont end up seeing a return to the horrendous service that used to hinder us BK riders.

7) Now the MTA as we well know axed the Nassau St M during the budget cuts. The former SB M 4th Ave local was a huge help to supplement the R. We dont have this anymore for persons in need of lower Manhattan access in which again ridership needs for access to that area is on the rise again due to an improved city economy.

8) The MTA now that we have the 6th Ave M, really needs to consider running the J to the West End line. Problem solved. But of course then there's the problem of funds and affordability of operation and payroll expenses to pay for the service. I'm surprised that local community activists do not realize this can be a good idea in terms of rapid transit as again there is severe problems at the 86th St surface transit hub, its maxed out, impeding bus service increases.

OK bear with me, since this is a very complicated point that you have just brought up so I will have to be longwinded with this post.

1) Further bus increases in Bay Ridge as much as it is absolutely needed, (and they have with the B37 and the B70) be a challenge because of the major hub at 86th Street which is a mess of a hub on a very busy local thoroughway in Bay Ridge where Brooklyn and SI local and express buses intersect. (Now that you reminded me I should do a photo thread on that)

2) Anyway in regards to the 86th Street hub this is what is happening: The B1, the B16, S53, S79 and S93 buses all stop at this intersection. Not to mention that terminus for four of the bus lines the B1, S53, S79 and S93, that intersection is the terminus. To make things even worse the motorist traffic is immense.

3) The S53, S79, and S93 all travel between Bay Ridge and Staten Island. The S79 goes to the Staten Island Mall. The S93 travels to the College of Staten Island (CSI). The average weekday ridership for the three Staten Island buses is 16,000, officials from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority told Board 10 members at a recent meeting I have heard.

4) Yet another problem is the rising tolls on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (MTA shooting itself in the foot much?) are pressuring Staten Island residents out of their vehicles, and opting for the S53, S79, and S93, not to mention the express buses, according to MTA spokespersons. The bridge in terms of capacity for traffic is bursting at the seams literally so there is only so much express buses that can run per hour, for these reasons.

5) Meanwhile at the same time because of limitations of the infrastructure of the 4th Ave Line Dekalb Ave interlocking mess, major congestion point as well as the lower Manhattan corridor, PLUS to make things even worse, the 34th St Junction and Manhattan -and- (bear with me I know...) the 60th St tunnel congestion points all slow down the R if it is running the full route from 95th to Forest Hills.

6) Because of the temporary split, T/Ds can actually keep the headways on the R on point, that is until the tunnel is open. Lets hope we dont end up seeing a return to the horrendous service that used to hinder us BK riders.

7) Now the MTA as we well know axed the Nassau St M during the budget cuts. The former SB M 4th Ave local was a huge help to supplement the R. We dont have this anymore for persons in need of lower Manhattan access in which again ridership needs for access to that area is on the rise again due to an improved city economy.

8) The MTA now that we have the 6th Ave M, really needs to consider running the J to the West End line. Problem solved. But of course then there's the problem of funds and affordability of operation and payroll expenses to pay for the service. I'm surprised that local community activists do not realize this can be a good idea in terms of rapid transit as again there is severe problems at the 86th St surface transit hub, its maxed out, impeding bus service increases.

I think the one thing that could be automatically improved is to somehow deal with the connection between the (R) and the (N).  That's a huge headache right there.  Now some will argue that you can't do that but surely with the headways of the (R) that could be alleviated to some extent.  As for Staten Island (LOL), a lot of people are leaving, and I can't blame them.  The commute is becoming worse, even with the express buses, traffic is a nightmare, and the whole S53/S79/S93 set up to the (R) to the (N) and then to another train for some doesn't help.   The situation with the (R) train and improvements in Bay Ridge in particular isn't/hasn't just been aimed at Bay Ridge/Brooklyn riders, but also Staten Island residents in part because there is no subway there, so much so that funds had been allocated for stations like 86th street to receive upgrades for this reason, so while this project may not be a big deal for some in terms of their overall commutes, it is for others, and the additional transfers for people who already have very long commutes with numerous transfers just complicates an already difficult trip.  I used to use the (N) to the (R) to the S53, and if the connections stink, that could easily be a two hour ride one way.  Transfers eat up a huge amount of time, and can easily add 20 - 30 minutes to your commute one way.  Since most people live in areas with subway access or just have one transfer at the most, it's not a concept that is understandable.

Why not just make the (R) skip stop to improve service? Doesn't seem that dumb.....

Because there's no where to run it. On Fourth Avenue, the line is divided into four neat segments all of which are bounded by express stations or terminals. The section from Lower Manhattan to DeKalb uses only the (R) so no skip-stop available there, the section from Atlantic to 36, which only has four stations between which, at the ®'s current headway, would have no real advantage in terms of speed. Given that all four of those stations are majorly used and there's a major transfer (4 ave/9 st) skip-stop would defeat the purpose. The third section is between 36 and 59, which has two stations between them, again no advantage. Beyond that the (R) runs alone in Bay Ridge and, again, every station has a sizable passenger count. 

Oh, and there's the (N) and (D) express trains. 

tl;dr It's a really dumb idea. 

Archived