Montague Street Tube Repair Progress Plus South Ferry Repair Progress 6/12/2014 (My Photos.)

Total showstopper. Many thanks +1.

From what you've seen with the progress being made how does it look @ Whitehall Street? Will they make the October 2014 deadline? In regards to the Montague Street tunnel?

Contractors said it did open by the end of the year.........

Contractors said it did open by the end of the year.........

Looking good. They can finally resolve the saltwater damage on the iron rings, cabele replacements, the electrical components, lighting and re-signaling as well as track work, just in time for the hectic holiday season. Getting tired of this R split have to admit. Its killing me, tired of having to take two to three trains from 4th Ave just to get into downtown Manhattan.

I will love the day the (R) comes back to a one seat ride to Lower Manhattan. Right now I have to brave the monstrosity that is Atlantic - Barclays and/or Borough Hall and it really isn't pleasant taking the overcrowded IRT every morning to Wall Street.

I will love the day the (R) comes back to a one seat ride to Lower Manhattan. Right now I have to brave the monstrosity that is Atlantic - Barclays and/or Borough Hall and it really isn't pleasant taking the overcrowded IRT every morning to Wall Street.

lol... Is that right? Well who were all of those people that said that the (R) set up wouldn't be that bad and that Senator Golden and other officials were wrong for trying to summon other alternatives??

lol... Is that right? Well who were all of those people that said that the (R) set up wouldn't be that bad and that Senator Golden and other officials were wrong for trying to summon other alternatives??

Right here.The (R) service is at its best in years OTP wise.Plus most people change to other trains already

Right here.The (R) service is at its best in years OTP wise.Plus most people change to other trains already

lol... Do you even use the (R) regularly? You're still in school IIRC... Completely different compared to Tokkemon who works in the city... After working 8+ hours a day, you want your commute to be as painless as possible, so I can see why he would be tired of that set up.

lol... Do you even use the (R) regularly? You're still in school IIRC... Completely different compared to Tokkemon who works in the city... After working 8+ hours a day, you want your commute to be as painless as possible, so I can see why he would be tired of that set up.

He does. So do I. On the Brooklyn end with the R service headways improved dramatically because of the short distance that it travels because of the split, weekdays. Of course we know that will change later in the year when the Montague Street Tunnel work is complete.

On weekends it isn't that bad either. NYC Transit did focus on making the R as reliable as possible to offset the major inconveniences of the split service because of the tunnel rotting due to saltwater corrosion which work is almost complete.

He does. So do I. On the Brooklyn end with the R service headways improved dramatically because of the short distance that it travels because of the split, weekdays. Of course we know that will change later in the year when the Montague Street Tunnel work is complete.

On weekends it isn't that bad either. NYC Transit did focus on making the R as reliable as possible to offset the major inconveniences of the split service because of the tunnel rotting due to saltwater corrosion which work is almost complete.

Even so depending on one's commute, that's adding yet another transfer for those who work in Manhattan... Not a fun situation at all...

Even so depending on one's commute, that's adding yet another transfer for those who work in Manhattan... Not a fun situation at all...

Indeed its true - in regards to the Manhattan end of the split.

Personally speaking even as the TPH on the R in Brooklyn is excellent, never have to wait more than 6-7 min for a train, if I have to get into downtown Manhattan which I must on almost a daily basis I am forced to take the A or C or the Brooklyn IRT instead of taking it straight through to Whitehall. That is unless I am heading to Chinatown, Soho, Midtown, or the other outer boroughs, in which case I simply take the one seat N ride or hop on the D.

I also can say that weekdays, on the Manhattan end the R service is horrendous even still.

The original problem pre Sandy is that overall the R travels through infrastructure built by the Dual Contracts that does not allow for high speeds in Manhattan. Furthermore the bottleneck that occurs at the 34th Street interlocking and hence the 60th street corridor which limits what the T/Ds can do to hype up service headways on the R. Even with the Queens Blvd Line designed for high speeds with flying junctions at Forest Hills for fast fumigation and turnaround of terminating local trains.

Weekends now on the R, not that bad on the R admittedly which is interesting as a contrast at least in Brooklyn. They put on additional sets on the R and made it work somehow. But once it gets over the Manhattan Bridge the fast ride becomes a killjoy with delays all the way to Queens.

Locked in.

Indeed its true - in regards to the Manhattan end of the split.

Personally speaking even as the TPH on the R in Brooklyn is excellent, never have to wait more than 6-7 min for a train, if I have to get into downtown Manhattan which I must on almost a daily basis I am forced to take the A or C or the Brooklyn IRT instead of taking it straight through to Whitehall. That is unless I am heading to Chinatown, Soho, Midtown, or the other outer boroughs, in which case I simply take the one seat N ride or hop on the D.

I also can say that weekdays, on the Manhattan end the R service is horrendous even still.

The original problem pre Sandy is that overall the R travels through infrastructure built by the Dual Contracts that does not allow for high speeds in Manhattan. Furthermore the bottleneck that occurs at the 34th Street interlocking and hence the 60th street corridor which limits what the T/Ds can do to hype up service headways on the R. Even with the Queens Blvd Line designed for high speeds with flying junctions at Forest Hills for fast fumigation and turnaround of terminating local trains.

Weekends now on the R, not that bad on the R admittedly which is interesting as a contrast at least in Brooklyn. They put on additional sets on the R and made it work somehow. But once it gets over the Manhattan Bridge the fast ride becomes a killjoy with delays all the way to Queens.

Locked in.

I have to be honest... With BusTime now, I try to avoid using the subway on weekends... If I can walk to my destination in the city or track the bus that I need, I just do that.  Today aside from using the express bus, I just walked to whereever I needed to go.  Much quicker that way.

I have to be honest... With BusTime now, I try to avoid using the subway on weekends... If I can walk to my destination in the city or track the bus that I need, I just do that.  Today aside from using the express bus, I just walked to whereever I needed to go.  Much quicker that way.

Everyone has their preferences nothing wrong with that. I have a different view, imo the subways are faster which is why I have a better preference for rapid transit as opposed to surface transit, unless I'm forced to, but if you seek better comfort by the use of commuting via the express buses, totally understandable.

Everyone has their preferences nothing wrong with that. I have a different view, imo the subways are faster which is why I have a better preference for rapid transit as opposed to surface transit, unless I'm forced to, but if you seek better comfort by the use of commuting via the express buses, totally understandable.

Subways can be faster and express buses can also be faster.  Depends on your location.  I can assure you that the express bus is much faster than the (1) train that's for sure.  I am also sure that the X27 is fast for those along Shore Rd in comparison to the (R), plus the transfer to the (N).

agreed always subway over bus!

Every damn day.

We're not all privileged to have a ''painless'' commute. If they have to do work, deal with it. 

Do you even live in Brooklyn at the moment? <_<

Subways can be faster and express buses can also be faster.  Depends on your location.  I can assure you that the express bus is much faster than the (1) train that's for sure.  I am also sure that the X27 is fast for those along Shore Rd in comparison to the (R), plus the transfer to the (N).

Well again it depends. Say downton Manhattan for instance. Immense with gridlock and traffic. In cases like that then yes the subway will be much faster in getting from point A to point B. Plus traveling by train is more predictable then on the road, if you rcall from the times you have to drive or take the bus, traffic can sometimes be unpredictable. So thats my vantage point on that issue. But each to his own I guess.

agreed always subway over bus!

Indeed.

Brooklyn R has been wonderful weekdays since the split service.  The most I've had to wait for a rush-hour R train at 59th St Bklyn (towards Bay Ridge) at 6pm has been 10 minutes, since they are on 7.5 minute headways now. 

However, last year, 25 or 30 minute waits at 6pm were a regular occurrence, with 5 or 6 N express trains coming, and the crowd 6 deep on the platform to go to Bay Ridge.  Do people really want to wait 30 minutes at rush-hour all over again just so they can get their "one seat ride"??  They will get their wish no later than October of this year. 

Weekend R service has been atrocious through all of 2014, since Queens causes MAJOR delays to Brooklyn and Manhattan service.

Archived