Two MTA 'Megaproject' Openings Delayed by Months

-CT1660-

So much for the Fulton Transit Center or the 7 train extension being ready this summer.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says the two transit megaprojects—which at one point had been pegged to open this month—will instead remain under wraps a bit longer.

First, there is the $1.4 billion dollar Fulton Center, designed to better link 11 subway lines in Lower Manhattan—and which has been under construction for years. 

"We're projecting in the next 60 to 90 days we're going to be opening the Fulton Center," says Uday Durg of MTA Capital Construction.

That's instead of June 26, as the MTA said just a few months ago.

With escalators and elevators still being tested and 65,000 square feet of retail area not yet ready to go, riders say they'll keep waiting on the grand opening.

Read More: Source

Well I wished they announced the delay a bit sooner than TWO DAYS before the anticipated opening.  <_<

Come on now... You weren't actually looking forward to the project finishing on time... It seems like most projects that I see with ribbon cutting ceremonies with the (MTA) involved are generally after the fact.... An afterthought... lol

Are you kidding?!! That is a bunch of bullcrap that they're delaying the Fulton Center and (7) Line Extension opening for quite a while. To make it a whole lot worse for the Fulton Center is that the whole free in-system transfer between the Cortlandt St (R) and World Trade Center (E) Stations just wouldn't seem to make any damn sense to the whole Fulton Center construction project. It doesn't quite fit in with the proposed Dey Street Passageway that would connect Cortlandt St with the Fulton Center Station which would house the (2), (3), (4), (5), (A), (C), (J), and (Z) Trains. In a Wikipedia article about the Fulton Center, I found some key sentences that would have made sense to the MTA's Capital Project:

"In addition to work on the four linked stations, including a large entrance building at Broadway and Fulton Street, the Dey Street Passageway is being built outside fare control to connect to the Cortlandt Street (BMT Broadway Line) station, and a passageway inside fare control will connect that station with the World Trade Center (IND Eighth Avenue Line) station, part of the Chambers Street – World Trade Center / Park Place station complex. However, the latter passageway could be considered redundant, as the A C 2 and 3 services also stop at Chambers Street/Park Place, one stop north of Fulton Street."

"The free transfer from the Cortlandt Street and World Trade Center stations had been dropped from the plans, but was later restored using MTA funds."

Basically what they're implying is, that it wouldn't be in best interest to have a free transfer between the two World Trade Center stations with an out-of-system connection to the Fulton St Station. It'll be like transferring from station to station with an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, if you don't have an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, you're screwed. In my honest opinion, the free transfer from the Cortlandt Street and World Trade Center stations would've stayed dropped out of the plans for good. Here's what I'm suggesting to the MTA that hopefully they will accept the changes; have the Fulton Center Station connect to the Cortlandt St (R) and (1) Stations with an extension of the Dey Street Passageway featuring a free in-system transfer. I did some research in the subway system and I think this one is much more suitable for the people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_Center

Are you kidding?!! That is a bunch of bullcrap that they're delaying the Fulton Center and (7) Line Extension opening for quite a while. To make it a whole lot worse for the Fulton Center is that the whole free in-system transfer between the Cortlandt St (R) and World Trade Center (E) Stations just wouldn't seem to make any damn sense to the whole Fulton Center construction project. It doesn't quite fit in with the proposed Dey Street Passageway that would connect Cortlandt St with the Fulton Center Station which would house the (2), (3), (4), (5), (A), (C), (J), and (Z) Trains. In a Wikipedia article about the Fulton Center, I found some key sentences that would have made sense to the MTA's Capital Project:

"In addition to work on the four linked stations, including a large entrance building at Broadway and Fulton Street, the Dey Street Passageway is being built outside fare control to connect to the Cortlandt Street (BMT Broadway Line) station, and a passageway inside fare control will connect that station with the World Trade Center (IND Eighth Avenue Line) station, part of the Chambers Street – World Trade Center / Park Place station complex. However, the latter passageway could be considered redundant, as the A C 2 and 3 services also stop at Chambers Street/Park Place, one stop north of Fulton Street."

"The free transfer from the Cortlandt Street and World Trade Center stations had been dropped from the plans, but was later restored using MTA funds."

Basically what they're implying is, that it wouldn't be in best interest to have a free transfer between the two World Trade Center stations with an out-of-system connection to the Fulton St Station. It'll be like transferring from station to station with an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, if you don't have an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, you're screwed. In my honest opinion, the free transfer from the Cortlandt Street and World Trade Center stations would've stayed dropped out of the plans for good. Here's what I'm suggesting to the MTA that hopefully they will accept the changes; have the Fulton Center Station connect to the Cortlandt St (R) and (1) Stations with an extension of the Dey Street Passageway featuring a free in-system transfer. I did some research in the subway system and I think this one is much more suitable for the people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_Center

I don't see what's wrong with having Dey paid, but WTC-Cortlandt free. There's no real benefit to having the Dey passageway free; Queens riders on the (E) and (R) already have transfers to each of the trunk lines in question, and in the case of the (E) you can make a cross-platform transfer to the (A) and (C), which do go to Fulton. Coming from Brooklyn, the (R) has transfers to the lines at Fulton at Borough Hall and Metrotech, and the Jamaica Line is available at Canal.

Keeping out of fare paid also allows it to function as part of the pedestrian network downtown, most of which is at capacity already and will be even more so once Fulton and the WTC go online.

One of the main reasons why the Dey Street Passageway was constructed was because of the outflow of PATH riders out of World Trade Center needing to connect to Fulton Street for the (4)(5) and vice versa.  (Anyone transferring between two stations during AM rush hour can tell you how ridiculously congested it can get.) Construction of the Dey Street Passageway has long been completed, but it's going to remain closed until the new PATH WTC Transportation Hub opens.

A majority of (R) riders transferring at the Cortlandt Street station would want to connect to the West Side lines, since it's not too difficult for them to get to the (4)(5) or the (J)(Z).  Connecting Cortlandt Street with the (E) World Trade Center station will redirect the flow of traffic away from the Dey Street Passageway, which will already be overrun by commuters to/from Jersey and those working in the WTC/WFC.  Also, a transfer between the two stations would allow (R) riders to take the (A)(C) or (E) to their destination.  Both stations are already adjacent to the PATH WTC Transportation Hub under Church Street, and it doesn't seem too difficult construction-wise to connect the two.

I'm surprised that on the Fulton Street Center delayed it was never mentioned in the article that in essence according to the CC Oversight monthly meeting this past Monday (The reason why this article was published) safety and fire codes are not yet tested and cleared so as to complete the master lease. So basically its alot of red tape involved in the delay here, not just construction issues.

Archived