Suspect steals necklace off woman at Coney Island bus stop

CenSin

CONEY ISLAND (WABC) --

Police are searching for the suspect who was caught on video ripping a chain off a woman at a bus stop in Brooklyn and it was all caught on tape.

The incident happened on July 18th on Mermaid Avenue and West 31st street in Coney Island.

Police say the suspect approached the 54-year-old victim at the bus stop and ripped her necklace off before the victim fell on her face.

The suspect fled and the victim was taken to Coney Island Hospital and treated for a laceration on her head.

The suspect is described as a black male in his 30's, 5'7", 160 lbs. last seen wearing a white shirt, dark shorts and white sneakers.

Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.

Source: http://7online.com/226568/

If you look at the video, you can see that it was broad daylight and happened in a small crowd. Yet nobody bothered to help the victim!

One comment by shelia sums up my reaction:

ashamed of Coney Island people at bus stop who didn't bother to help woman on the ground that was just robbed. What is wrong with you? You should all be ashamed of yourself. The man in the purple who just walked around her, really dude???? If you live in Coney Island and wonder why robbers feel safe robbing.... it is because of YOU. You did NOTHING to help that poor woman. I truly can't believe no one at the bus stop did ANYTHING. The woman was on the ground. Jesus, help you all

Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by a dysfunctional subculture of "mind your own business" and "no snitching." It's a stark contrast to many selfless people who have jumped into active train tracks to save someone else in danger.

The stop by the rite aid? Strange, there's usually a lot of pedestrians walking along & about that immediate area....

One comment by shelia sums up my reaction:

"ashamed of Coney Island people at bus stop who didn't bother to help woman on the ground that was just robbed. What is wrong with you? You should all be ashamed of yourself. The man in the purple who just walked around her, really dude???? If you live in Coney Island and wonder why robbers feel safe robbing.... it is because of YOU. You did NOTHING to help that poor woman. I truly can't believe no one at the bus stop did ANYTHING. The woman was on the ground. Jesus, help you all"

Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by a dysfunctional subculture of "mind your own business" and "no snitching." It's a stark contrast to many selfless people who have jumped into active train tracks to save someone else in danger.

I bet "Sheila" wouldn't have done shit either, so she really needs to have a seat with that that holier than thou shit..... Sick & tired of people frontin like they're such humanitarians.... It's all talk.

I don't see this as a case of "no snitching" at all... The MYOB part I do agree with though....

What should have happened is some good old fashioned street justice, but police out here are quick to lock up blacks & hispanics over some bullshit (especially within the hood), so muggs keep their distance from other people's dealings..... That can't be compared to being within the confines of the subway system.....

All that said, this jackass is gonna get caught; I'm going to guess within the timeframe of a week.... Petty crimes like this that happens in a localized hood, the perp doesn't get far....If this nigga is actually from CI, he's gonna get caught even sooner..... Nigga$$ desperate & stupid enough to jack someone in their own hood will get their just due/desserts..... Wait until he ends up in some holding cell & other cats in there find out why he's in there for.... jacking an ELDERLY woman? Yeah, he's done, and deservedly so......

No way in hell would I want to live somewhere where I can't even wait for the bus in peace... That place is still a zoo... I guess they stopped flooding the neighborhood with cops...  <_<

That's not the part of Coney Island that they flooded with cops (that's over there by the projects) though.... The part of the neighborhood they flooded with cops is the immediate area around the amusement park/subway station - as far east as west 8th st & as far west as the Cyclones stadium....

Can come up with a plan to rob someone..But can't come up with a plan to earn 40 a week....SMH  :(

I'm guessing you're referring to 40 hours a week & not earning 40 dollars a week... Lol...

Anyway, I'm glad you brought this up.... You have people that say that crime would go down in the hood if the unemployed within them people were given jobs.... I hate when people make that claim, because it largely assumes that these same people that are out here committing crimes are the same people that want to be productive citizens in society.... Guess they don't realize that to a lot of these folks, the "white man" is the enemy - thus not "working for the white man" is an act of rebellion.....

What also doesn't help that claim is that you have people in the hood with 9-to-5's - that STILL engage in criminal activity....

I seen that happen while riding the bx15. I saw a crack head run up to the woman that was on the end of the line waiting to board the bus. He knocked her down, snatched her chain, and took off. I thought that that style of robbery was left in the early 90's.

I seen that happen while riding the bx15. I saw a crack head run up to the woman that was on the end of the line waiting to board the bus. He knocked her down, snatched her chain, and took off. I thought that that style of robbery was left in the early 90's.

If you can remember, what did anyone in the immediate vicinity do?

That's not the part of Coney Island that they flooded with cops (that's over there by the projects) though.... The part of the neighborhood they flooded with cops is the immediate area around the amusement park/subway station - as far east as west 8th st & as far west as the Cyclones stadium....

True, but when the X28 ran there on weekends, I'd get it by Surf & west 17th and would see whites running along Surf well past 17th and cops were certainly patrolling west of 17th...

If you can remember, what did anyone in the immediate vicinity do?

There was no one around outside the bus. Some of the people inside the bus went out to help the woman, but the thief was long gone.

Crackheads are beyond time, man. They'll do anything anywhere.

Archived