LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 6/25/2020 at 6:40 PM, francisq94 said:

Any new updates on more phase 1 classes?

All i had was the phase 1 interview over the phone (this was about two months ago) since it ended early on Monday 3/16.  That was the day everything shut down. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my open house October 2019.  I was then invited to the signals and definitions overview in December and then had my signals and definitions test February 15th. 5 weeks to study.  Passed the test and was then brought in for an interview in Jamaica on March 12th with Lucille and a road foreman.  I emailed Lucille in April once I saw that they were resuming with a phase one class on April 29th and she said to keep an eye out because they hold phase one trainings several times a year.  There was a couple people on this thread who started that phase one in April (thats how i knew it was resuming) class but had their interviews in late September early October so the rest of us are definitely behind in terms of order if that how they do things.  I have not heard anything since but then also got confirmation that the Phase 2 for July was cancelled from someone I know who is an engineer.  So they are on hold with trainings and hiring except for some admin/management jobs for now.  Hope it opens up soon.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, francisq94 said:

I had my open house October 2019.  I was then invited to the signals and definitions overview in December and then had my signals and definitions test February 15th. 5 weeks to study.  Passed the test and was then brought in for an interview in Jamaica on March 12th with Lucille and a road foreman.  I emailed Lucille in April once I saw that they were resuming with a phase one class on April 29th and she said to keep an eye out because they hold phase one trainings several times a year.  There was a couple people on this thread who started that phase one in April (thats how i knew it was resuming) class but had their interviews in late September early October so the rest of us are definitely behind in terms of order if that how they do things.  I have not heard anything since but then also got confirmation that the Phase 2 for July was cancelled from someone I know who is an engineer.  So they are on hold with trainings and hiring except for some admin/management jobs for now.  Hope it opens up soon.

thanks for the info.  hope everything goes back to normal soon

On 4/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, BrotherOne said:

Had physical test pre-Phase One. Phase One to begin April 29. was told some classes may be at home due to COVID-19 concerns.

Any info you can share about where you are with the training and the LIRR plan going forward with more phase one classes? Are they on hold? rescheduled? or are they still bring new people in for new phase one trainings? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BrotherOne said:

Has anyone heard anything about when the current hiring freeze will end? I passed my Phase 1 exam only to hit a brick wall when Phase 2 was cancelled.

Its not looking good.  Supposed rumors of furloughs.  All areas of LIRR on a freeze. Guess they have enough engineers to hold them over?  Its weird because it takes almost 2 years to become an engineer with all the training and process so how do they expect to fill in positions when people retire, potentially leave etc when everything is cancelled? What did they last say to you when they cancelled phase 2?

1 hour ago, francisq94 said:

Its not looking good.  Supposed rumors of furloughs.  All areas of LIRR on a freeze. Guess they have enough engineers to hold them over?  Its weird because it takes almost 2 years to become an engineer with all the training and process so how do they expect to fill in positions when people retire, potentially leave etc when everything is cancelled? What did they last say to you when they cancelled phase 2?

All HR said was that we were "in the pool" for the next Phase 2 class. This really puts my life on hold. Do I plan my next vacation? Do I make plans to further my career at my current job? Do I go to my family reunion in October (in another state)? So many other things that I need time in order to plan properly.

25 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

All HR said was that we were "in the pool" for the next Phase 2 class. This really puts my life on hold. Do I plan my next vacation? Do I make plans to further my career at my current job? Do I go to my family reunion in October (in another state)? So many other things that I need time in order to plan properly.

Yeah I hear you, its not easy at all. Its a hurry up and wait system.   If you hear anything new about them resuming please let us all know on here. Thanks 

19 hours ago, BrotherOne said:

This is just unfortunate.

My wife works for the city and they're facing furloughs and lay offs in October.  Even after everything is all done they're going to bring the furloughs back first before they can get to us.

In response to your question, keep going with what you have.  I went back to school in the meantime before this whole thing blows over. 

Plan your vacation and plan your family reunion.  This is going to take awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just thought I'd stop by and throw some rumors into the mix.

I'm a current LIRR Engineer. I average between 0 and 3 people in the head pair of my rush hour trains. It feels lifeless - like I'm operating a life-sized trainset. Word around campus is that if the MTA doesn't get the ($13,000,000,000?) money it needs, we can expect drastic cuts up to and including the shut down of multiple branches.

More than a quarter of engineers are junior to me and I'm worried about my job; If you're in pre employment or phase 2, I hate to say it, but consider other options for the next year at the least.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

The situation has not changed and the hiring freeze is still in effect.  There isn’t a timeframe and unfortunately ridership has not returned to even half of what it was.  I know it’s hard to keep up hope, but they will have to hire again as retirements continue and East Side access has not be delayed.  Just can’t put a date on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t been on for awhile. I’m surprised I didn’t get any of the replies here in my email. Just to put things in perspective. Train service will be reduced another 5% in a few weeks. As for hiring. There’s a hiring freeze for the next 3 years. no furloughs for the year 2021. They will revisit that option next year may 2022. It really does suck. But hopefully things will start to normalize after the summer. Being optimistic here. Good luck to all. 

• 1 month later...

It has now been 10 months since I passed my Phase 1 exam. There is no information to be found anywhere about the start of the next Phase 2 class. The response from LIRR HR is deafening silence. The test results expire in 60 days. What happens after that? Do I start at the beginning? Resume, Open House, Signals and Definitions?

1 hour ago, BrotherOne said:

It has now been 10 months since I passed my Phase 1 exam. There is no information to be found anywhere about the start of the next Phase 2 class. The response from LIRR HR is deafening silence. The test results expire in 60 days. What happens after that? Do I start at the beginning? Resume, Open House, Signals and Definitions?

The test is good for 1 year. Your are right. They should make the exception given the circumstances. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, BrotherOne said:

Unfortunately there are no immediate plans to begin another Phase 2 class.  And there isn’t a timeline for when they expect to start the next one.  The last two classes are nearing their end with one class taking qualifying exams now.  

I don’t think HR can give you an answer because there isn’t one to give.  With so many changes going on here I don’t know how long they can extend your exams results.  For example, they recently added another rule, two signals and modified a definition.  All in all it’s up to the powers that be.  

Like I said before, they will need to begin hiring again as retirements do not stop and East Side Access continues along with other projects associated with it.  If you were to have to do it again, you have an advantage and should make the best of it.  Hope this helps and doesn’t discourage anyone.  This pandemic was unforeseen and it put a lot of things on hold.  I do see postings for Car and Station Maintainers if anyone wants to get their foot inside the door.  You can always apply later when an Engineer posting appears.  

Keep safe everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning!

I have heard some news about one new Phase 2 class probably being hired this year.  I don’t know details of when and who or if it’s a definite thing.  If so, I just heard of one class, there are no details about the future after that or if there are going to be any postings for applications.

As I have said before, keep your head up and don’t totally put the material down cause you never know.  If you get the opportunity, you better make the most of it and study your ass off.  There are no do overs if you fail Phase 2.  This is a great opportunity and if given the chance one must take the bull by the horns.

Have a good day! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, Iwetoddit said:

Good morning!

I have heard some news about one new Phase 2 class probably being hired this year.  I don’t know details of when and who or if it’s a definite thing.  If so, I just heard of one class, there are no details about the future after that or if there are going to be any postings for applications.

As I have said before, keep your head up and don’t totally put the material down cause you never know.  If you get the opportunity, you better make the most of it and study your ass off.  There are no do overs if you fail Phase 2.  This is a great opportunity and if given the chance one must take the bull by the horns.

Have a good day! 

If anyone is waiting to hear back, good news may be on the horizon. I received a call yesterday to set up my interview. Classes may not be returning in the next few months, but after 14 months since my S&D test, it feels great to hear back and feel that things are moving in the right direction.

Edited by Richkdr

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Richkdr said:

If anyone is waiting to hear back, good news may be on the horizon. I received a call yesterday to set up my interview. Classes may not be returning in the next few months, but after 14 months since my S&D test, it feels great to hear back and feel that things are moving in the right direction.

What was the date that you had your S&D test?

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

Word around campus is that the only class that will be next for phase 2 is the class they canceled last year. For the all the phase 1s they’re starting from scratch again. 

So for someone like me who had S&D IN February and interview on March 12th that means that I am out of the loop and my whole thing is scratched? Another member on here said he had his S&D 14 months ago and just got called for interview. I had my S&D like 16 months ago. If I missed it by two months that really sucks.

6 hours ago, francisq94 said:

So for someone like me who had S&D IN February and interview on March 12th that means that I am out of the loop and my whole thing is scratched? Another member on here said he had his S&D 14 months ago and just got called for interview. I had my S&D like 16 months ago. If I missed it by two months that really sucks.

I think I misread your post. So basically all that have went through and completed phase 1 have to do so again? I had an interview the same week last year everything shut down. Hopefully I wasn’t forgotten about. Good luck to everyone waiting to get started.