LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I pass the S&D exam and go on my panel interview back in October, and today I see a wonderful email from Michelle Drew telling me it’s in their best needs to go with other candidates. Thank you for applying. I feel like I got slapped in the face. If I failed the exam I can live with that, but this is ridiculous. I was even just studying up until yesterday just to keep it fresh. I can ace that test right now, still.  smh. I hope anyone still waiting for phase 1 doesn’t receive that same email. It’s a terrible feeling. Good luck to everyone. 

46 minutes ago, Alberto said:

So I pass the S&D exam and go on my panel interview back in October, and today I see a wonderful email from Michelle Drew telling me it’s in their best needs to go with other candidates. Thank you for applying. I feel like I got slapped in the face. If I failed the exam I can live with that, but this is ridiculous. I was even just studying up until yesterday just to keep it fresh. I can ace that test right now, still.  smh. I hope anyone still waiting for phase 1 doesn’t receive that same email. It’s a terrible feeling. Good luck to everyone. 

I am so sorry Alberto. I am speechless.

3 hours ago, Alberto said:

Oh wow. Sorry bro. I would’ve hated to wait that long just for an answer. Smh. 

Guys don’t get discouraged. Keep studying those signal and definitions. They need more engineers for what’s to come in the future so they are going to keep hiring people for the time being. The holiday time they tend to slow the process down but it should pick up soon. They normally do 4 classes a year but I hear they are adding more people to the classes because they need more engineers. Good luck guys 

44 minutes ago, Zander88 said:

I received my S&D overview email today. It's scheduled for Feb 8 and the test is on March 14. Is it difficult to find parking or would it be recommended to take the train to the Hillside Facility?

TAKE THE TRAIN! Don't screw around with parking. You may not find anything close. If you're late - you're out.

49 minutes ago, Zander88 said:

I received my S&D overview email today. It's scheduled for Feb 8 and the test is on March 14. Is it difficult to find parking or would it be recommended to take the train to the Hillside Facility?

Here is a link to the Hillside schedule:

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/SpecialTT/Nassau_MLX-W-GO505-HI.pdf

43 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

Awesome thanks. I'll definitely take the train then. This schedule is the most recent. The schedule I received in the email was effective up to Jan 5 2020 so the times have changed a bit. Either way I plan to show up a minimum of an hour early for everything. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, LIRRENGRhelper said:

Guys don’t get discouraged. Keep studying those signal and definitions. They need more engineers for what’s to come in the future so they are going to keep hiring people for the time being. The holiday time they tend to slow the process down but it should pick up soon. They normally do 4 classes a year but I hear they are adding more people to the classes because they need more engineers. Good luck guys 

Yea, we’ll what they don’t tell you is that even if you pass the exam, there’s a chance you still won’t get excepted into phase 1. And they’ll make you wait 3 months just to tell you that.

14 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Yea, we’ll what they don’t tell you is that even if you pass the exam, there’s a chance you still won’t get excepted into phase 1. And they’ll make you wait 3 months just to tell you that.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop myself. I couldn't get a read on the interview. I felt great going in because I passed the S&D. I left doubting myself and beating myself up for not knowing more about train operations.

43 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Sorry to hear about this. I think because this isn't like a civil service process they can choose candidates at their discretion.

58 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Sorry to hear what happened to you @Alberto.  I think you may be the first that I hear was rejected.

But I will say that at any step in this process they may choose not to go with someone.  Not sure what makes them decide this but passing the tests is not a guarantee.  

But don’t fret, you can reapply and you at least have a leg up on everyone else.  Take it as a learning and how to do better next time.

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

Sorry this happened Alberto, it is very unfortunate, I know I would be devastated if this happened to me. Did they provide any explanation as to why they aren’t proceeding with you? I know most companies don’t explain as it can become a legal issue. Do they recommend you apply for any other positions given you passed S&D such as conductor? 

Hey guys good luck to all that are going through the process sorry to here that @Alberto. I went through the whole program and just finished phase 2, Nov. 7, 2019. It was a crazy year had a lot going on in my life while doing the program, but just keep studying it all pays off at the end now I’m a qualified engineer and I’m loving not having to study how I was as a trainee. Any questions guys just let me know I’ll try to answer you guys back as soon as I can. 

1 hour ago, CarlosMQ said:

Hey guys good luck to all that are going through the process sorry to here that @Alberto. I went through the whole program and just finished phase 2, Nov. 7, 2019. It was a crazy year had a lot going on in my life while doing the program, but just keep studying it all pays off at the end now I’m a qualified engineer and I’m loving not having to study how I was as a trainee. Any questions guys just let me know I’ll try to answer you guys back as soon as I can. 

Congrats bro. What a relief wasn’t it? Like a weight has been lifted off the shoulders. Best of luck out there and be careful bro. 

On 1/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, Plantain-Papi said:

Sorry this happened Alberto, it is very unfortunate, I know I would be devastated if this happened to me. Did they provide any explanation as to why they aren’t proceeding with you? I know most companies don’t explain as it can become a legal issue. Do they recommend you apply for any other positions given you passed S&D such as conductor? 

Yea man! I’m beyond friggin pissed off. You guys know I hard we studied for that test. Very few people from my class even showed up to take the test, let alone people actually passing it. It’s not easy. Then the panel interview is basically your average work experience questions. It’s a piece of cake compared to that test. They make it seem like, you pass the test, meet with the interviewers and on to phase one, so this definitely threw me off guard. And they could’ve told me right away and not 3 months later. Only thing I can think of was that they age discriminated cause I’m 42. Meanwhile I’m in the best shape of my life and out hustle any 20 something on my job. I appreciate the support fellas. It’s all good. Just disappointed and venting. One day it’ll all make sense.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:32 AM, Alberto said:

Yea man! I’m beyond friggin pissed off. You guys know I hard we studied for that test. Very few people from my class even showed up to take the test, let alone people actually passing it. It’s not easy. Then the panel interview is basically your average work experience questions. It’s a piece of cake compared to that test. They make it seem like, you pass the test, meet with the interviewers and on to phase one, so this definitely threw me off guard. And they could’ve told me right away and not 3 months later. Only thing I can think of was that they age discriminated cause I’m 42. Meanwhile I’m in the best shape of my life and out hustle any 20 something on my job. I appreciate the support fellas. It’s all good. Just disappointed and venting. One day it’ll all make sense.

No agency is allowed to discriminate due to age. 

Edited by NYYankee

On 1/19/2020 at 12:32 AM, Alberto said:

There was a guy older than you in my Phase 1 class.  And in the current one there is one that is in his 50s also.  So I don’t think it was your age.

I wouldn’t look into it too much as you can drive yourself crazy with all the possibilities.