5 train to Allerton Avenue?

RhythmNBlues

The 5 train (Dyre Avenue) line runs right into a main drag (Allerton Avenue). Why is no station built there?!

Has it ever been in the plans? I don't understand why it just runs from Gun Hill to Pelham Parkway without a station at Allerton Avenue!! That area is primed for heavy ridership!!

Walking to Gun Hill Road or Pelham Parkway from Allerton certainly cannot be a pleasure every morning and rush hour for folks. Just add a new station and it will be flooding with riders! 

A win-win for the MTA and its riders!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that people are not used to thinking out of the box around here.

Sorry if it makes your head hurt.

Gun Hill Road is a short walk from Allerton Avenue....not even 10 minutes away from each other. I've walked it, it's pointless.

Go out there and see it for yourself if you don't believe any of us.

That's not the point. Allerton Avenue is a main drag and should have had a stop. It was proposed in 1949 but fell through.

It's a main drag, but if there's not that many people getting off at Gun Hill Road, why bother making an Allerton Avenue Station literally a minute apart from the Gun Hill Road Station? With that logic, we'd have a lot more unnecessary stations than we have now. It's a complete waste of money and manpower.

To ease the load of people at Gun Hill.

If say the MTA decides to upgrade the Gun Hill Road Station itself on the WPR then that would be the way to go to meet higher ridership demands, it can be done. Building a completely new station altogether although a nice proposal will not work because the rate of passenger usage will not bring in enough fare collection revenue for operating costs. So as everyone else said its too expensive. Plus you dont want to invite any opportunity for increased dwell times by having an additional station on an already very busy line, that will cause slowdowns and delays for a variety of other reasons.

Seems that people are not used to thinking out of the box around here.

Sorry if it makes your head hurt.

It's not about thinking outside the box. It's about one unless proposal after another. There is no need for an Allerton Avenue station on the Dyre line

To ease the load of people at Gun Hill.

Gun Hill Rd on the (5) is ranked 258th (out of 421) in passenger counts.

Gun Hill Rd on the (2) is ranked 205th in passenger counts.

Its not as bad as you're making it out to be, as both are ranked in the middle of the passenger count list

The proposal is foam, a poor joke. Gun Hill Road station (5) is about 1 train length from the Allerton Avenue underpass.

Yeah I know. Thats why I didnt really read into this thread too much other than by posting my usual mindless musings and ramblings on transit...

The proposal is foam, a poor joke. Gun Hill Road station (5) is about 1 train length from the Allerton Avenue underpass.

If I had to wager a guess, these recurring ideas about a Allerton Av station on the Dyre branch stem from a quick glance at the subway map. While the map is somewhat geographically accurate, the distance between the Gun Hill Rd station and Allerton Ave is not as large as it's depicted on the official map.

If I had to wager a guess, these recurring ideas about a Allerton Av station on the Dyre branch stem from a quick glance at the subway map. While the map is somewhat geographically accurate, the distance between the Gun Hill Rd station and Allerton Ave is not as large as it's depicted on the official map.

Every time I see a similar post I come to the same conclusion. Gun Hill Road on the (2) line has stops at Burke Avenue and Allerton Avenue before the Pelham Parkway stop. The street layout east of the (2) line is not the same by the time you reach the (5) line. There used to be a hand throw switch just south of Allerton on the Dyre line. When we ran G.O.s at that location we would climb down the embankment to Allerton for food or refreshments or walk the tracks to Gun Hill Road (5) station for food or the rest room. I've seen school kids, and some adults climb the embankment and walk back to the station just to beat the fare. From that spot (Allerton) it's actually a longer walk to the Pelham Parkway (5) station on the Esplanade. To those who aren't familiar with the exact location just think of the distance between Bowling Green and Wall Street on the n/b Lexington (4) and (5) trains. Those stations were built when the IRT ran 5 car trains while the Dyre line has railroad spacing. FWIW if they built 2 10 story apartment buildings where the Dyre line crosses Allerton Avenue  instead of the current playground and gas station on either side of the ROW it still wouldn't justify building a station there. That's my personal opinion and I'd bet the (MTA) would agree with me Carry on.

Archived