why some buses bypass stops when they are half-full and people are waiting at stops?

alekr

What are they doing, testing the battery run concept on buses now? At least they're trying something a little different, you can't do the short-turn concept on every single bus line...

I remember when the Bx12 was LTD only during the weekdays, the weekend buses would sometimes run so far behind the dispatchers would make some of the weekend buses go Limited even though there was no official LTD Saturday/Sunday service on the schedule at the time.

As i mentioned a while back, I think gap buses would be the best. I will give y'all a good example:

an artic out of quill stays on the corner of 5ave and 34th st; if there is more than a 20 minute gap between seevice on either 5ave or 3434st the B/O could step in and do the rest if the run while the original bus would take its place waiting as a gap bus

It all depends on the situation. Sometimes if the bus is too full, they are allowed to drop off only. OR if the bus is behind time (Late), the dispatcher tells the operator to only drop off passengers and skip stops until a certain point to match up the position where that Bus is suppose to be according to its time.

So if the bus was suppose to be at a certain stop at 12:04pm, and at that time its still 14-30 mins behind, the supervisor will allow the operator to continue without stopping unless a passenger request to stop.

Conversely, if the bus is too early, the dispatcher will tell the operator to stop the bus for a while. It happened about a month or two on the southbound Q52. The bus was quite early and dispatch told it to wait about 5 minutes. It was funny watching people try to peek out the front trying to see what was holding the bus up.

one time many years ago i was on the B11 going home from BC. The front end was full but when people want to get on, the back was empty as i scan the back. i was like SMH. People love to hang out in front of the bus. If the MTA install camera in the bus especially the back area, the driver should see that on the screen there was plenty of room for people to move to the back. If i was the driver i would just stall the bus till they move. 

It happened to me on the B62 I waited 30 minutes at Fulton Mall(Literally) and it dwelled for 5-10 more minute due to an disabled customer. The bus was furthur delayed due to traffic on the BQE. By Williamsburg Bridge Plaza the bus was empty and I was the only one, so the bus ran non-stop to Queens Plaza, although there were many customers and the next bus was still at Gold and Navy(according to Bustime). I was actually pretty happy since I was late.

you could have just used the (G) you know.

As i mentioned a while back, I think gap buses would be the best. I will give y'all a good example:

an artic out of quill stays on the corner of 5ave and 34th st; if there is more than a 20 minute gap between seevice on either 5ave or 3434st the B/O could step in and do the rest if the run while the original bus would take its place waiting as a gap bus

(1)  There are barely enough buses to meet the existing schedules, because older buses are being scrapped before the new buses arrive. Having "gap" buses would require additional vehicles that just aren't there.

(2)  The MTA tried a similar idea back in 1997 when the free MetroCard transfers were introduced.  Each depot had a few supplemental "As-Assigned" runs (each paying 11 hours) which were specifically meant to accommodate overflow loads.  It failed miserably...  Some "As-Assigned" runs were used as an "extra list" to fill in for drivers who were out sick or on vacation, while most of the runs were never used at all — in those cases, a dispatcher would swap buses so that the As-Assigned bus would show revenue but the As-Assigned driver wouldn't have to drive it but could still get paid.  (The whole thing ended after an accident involving a swapped As-Assigned bus driven by somebody else.)

you could have just used the (G) you know.

Did you read where he waited for the bus? The (G) does not serve Fulton Mall.

(inb4 (A) to (G) )

Honestly though, at some points of the day I feel like the B62 is much more frequent. I'd rather get on the 62 than the (G) (I know the quoted posts are a tad old, but I just needed to say that).

Archived