why some buses bypass stops when they are half-full and people are waiting at stops?

alekr

I noticed that sometimes when I'm waiting for the Q13/28 and of course I tend to use bustime app. When the bus approaches it shows "next bus please" or in service but then it bypasses my stop while the bus is not even packed. Why does that happen? It frustrates me because there were plenty of room in the bus and driver bypass the stop.

I noticed that sometimes when I'm waiting for the Q13/28 and of course I tend to use bustime app. When the bus approaches it shows "next bus please" or in service but then it bypasses my stop while the bus is not even packed. Why does that happen? It frustrates me because there were plenty of room in the bus and driver bypass the stop.

I think it's a kind of strategy they use to reduce crowding on buses, but have one bypass another, and then take turns and whatnot.   

The Q28 is my home line, and I've been noticing that they've been doing that wayyy more often on Northern. They used to hardly ever do it, but now my operators are changing their signs to Next Bus Please (when they aren't that full) and are skipping stops that people don't get off on. I would assume that either a Q13 is right behind is, or he is just behind schedule. 

I think it's a kind of strategy they use to reduce crowding on buses, but have one bypass another, and then take turns and whatnot.   

Sometimes the next bus takes forever to come. It frustrates me. I would always tell the driver to ask people to move the rear of the bus and allow more to get in.

It all depends on the situation. Sometimes if the bus is too full, they are allowed to drop off only. OR if the bus is behind time (Late), the dispatcher tells the operator to only drop off passengers and skip stops until a certain point to match up the position where that Bus is suppose to be according to its time.

So if the bus was suppose to be at a certain stop at 12:04pm, and at that time its still 14-30 mins behind, the supervisor will allow the operator to continue without stopping unless a passenger request to stop.

It all depends on the situation. Sometimes if the bus is too full, they are allowed to drop off only. OR if the bus is behind time (Late), the dispatcher tells the operator to only drop off passengers and skip stops until a certain point to match up the position where that Bus is suppose to be according to its time.

So if the bus was suppose to be at a certain stop at 12:04pm, and at that time its still 14-30 mins behind, the supervisor will allow the operator to continue without stopping unless a passenger request to stop.

What line is this? 

Every line does it. If the operator is behind schudule, his/her supervisor makes them skip stops until a certain point. OR if the bus is too full they are allowed to continue unless a stop is requested.

Or some drivers are extremely kind allowing people to board the bus via the back door. I have a good friend of mine whom works with the MTA for 25 years allows people to board the back door if the front is full.

Or some drivers are extremely kind allowing people to board the bus via the back door. I have a good friend of mine whom works with the MTA for 25 years allows people to board the back door if the front is full.

Yeah normally the operator suppose to tell passenger to move to the back unless its not possible. Some lines especially during rush hours should have more bus out. Its hard enough to get on the bus in the morning during rush hour.

I've seen some bus drivers get calls from a BusTime dispatcher instructing them to change their signs to "Next Bus Please" so they can make up time, regardless of how many passengers are waiting. 

Stengel problems, huh? If you think that's bad, you should see what happens on any Jamaica route that isn't the Q17...

I've seen some bus drivers get calls from a BusTime dispatcher instructing them to change their signs to "Next Bus Please" so they can make up time, regardless of how many passengers are waiting. 

Right, this happens all the time on the 5th Ave lines that all run together. Buses will run NBP for a few stops, catch up, etc.

My landlord works in Manhattanville, he got pulled over by a supervisor for sake of instruction and afterwards, he was told to use the Next Bus Please sign and bypass stops to make up time. I guess sometimes that happens with buses too

It is annoying when they skip the stop and that bus is empty. At the stop you have people who were waiting a while and to see that almost empty bus pass especially in the cold is upsetting.There has been times a bus did not show up for twenty minutes it shows up with a half load and skips the stop. Then it required us to wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes for two crowded buses to show up. Happens all the time on the Q25.

It is annoying when they skip the stop and that bus is empty. At the stop you have people who were waiting a while and to see that almost empty bus pass especially in the cold is upsetting.There has been times a bus did not show up for twenty minutes it shows up with a half load and skips the stop. Then it required us to wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes for two crowded buses to show up. Happens all the time on the Q25.

That happened to me recently, as well, on the Q46. Bus was practically empty (maybe 1 or 2 standees), three of us were standing in the stop as usual, the sign said the usual "Q46 Kew Gardens" and the B/O just blew past us without even slowing down. I was so angry after this. 

That happened to me recently, as well, on the Q46. Bus was practically empty (maybe 1 or 2 standees), three of us were standing in the stop as usual, the sign said the usual "Q46 Kew Gardens" and the B/O just blew past us without even slowing down. I was so angry after this. 

It happened to me on the B62 I waited 30 minutes at Fulton Mall(Literally) and it dwelled for 5-10 more minute due to an disabled customer. The bus was furthur delayed due to traffic on the BQE. By Williamsburg Bridge Plaza the bus was empty and I was the only one, so the bus ran non-stop to Queens Plaza, although there were many customers and the next bus was still at Gold and Navy(according to Bustime). I was actually pretty happy since I was late.

Yeah normally the operator suppose to tell passenger to move to the back unless its not possible. Some lines especially during rush hours should have more bus out. Its hard enough to get on the bus in the morning during rush hour.

Usually when the bus driver say "move back please", a random passenger would curse at the driver and say "Go Where?, We all on top of each other. Stop letting people on the f***ing bus!" The Q113 LTD is always crowded at the first bus stop. And yeah some bus drivers would let people come on the bus from the rear.

Usually when the bus driver say "move back please", a random passenger would curse at the driver and say "Go Where?, We all on top of each other. Stop letting people on the f***ing bus!" The Q113 LTD is always crowded at the first bus stop. And yeah some bus drivers would let people come on the bus from the rear.

Yeah your right.

Sometimes, Ulmer Park drivers straight up don't let passengers on despite their bus being half empty and them not being late. Like today, for example. I should've gotten the bus number off bus time and called in to report the a**hole.

What they need to do is add service at the front of the bus (where it's full) and cut service at the back of the bus (where it's empty).

:)

Archived