2 Av Subway Progress Thread

Brighton Local

second_av_header.gif75px-NYCS-bull-trans-T_svg.png75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q_svg.png

Second_Ave_Subway_CGI_station.jpgsas_station2.jpg

This will be the Second Avenue progress thread where we can discuss the progress of the SAS and the ESA (East Side Access). This thread will be stickied as construction of the SAS progresses. In this thread you can ask questions, post construction updates and delays and news about the SAS.

sas_map_lg.gif

How many of us think that the first segment of the SAS will be open to (Q) train service to 96 St / 2 Av by 2013?

Anybody think the (Q) will run East Harlem-125 St / 2 Av all times once the whole line is complete, or late nights cut back to Midtown-57 St / 7 Av, while the (T) runs up and down 2 Av, 24/?

I believe the following stops are transfer points from 2nd Av

125 st for the 4 / 5 / 6

Maybe 59th/lex for the N/R/W/4/5/6 OR LEX/63RD for the F

Grand Central to the 4/5/6/7/S

1st or 3rd Av's on the L on 14th St

Grand St for the B/D

Maybe Canal for the J/N/M/Z/Q/W/R/6

How many of us think that the first segment of the SAS will be open to Q train service to 96 St / 2 Av by 2013?

Anybody think the Q will run 125 all times once the whole line is complete, or late nights cut back to 57/7, while the T runs 24/7 up and down 2 av?

Yes I think they will be finished with the first segment because of the construction completion bonuses the state gives out.

I think they will cut the (Q) up to 57. The (Q) probably won't be needed late nights having the (T) running all times and with help from the Lexington Av line on the east side.

Well, we dunno if the R179 will be a 75 footer cause thats still pending and something the MTA is speculating cause they don't really want to order 75 footers anymore....

But yeah, the (T) will most likely see R160s.

Oh, and the R160s already have a program for the (Q) to 96th Street.....

According to the 2nd Av Map in the first post in this thread, the 2nd Av Subway looks to be ONLY 16 Stations long. Now, IMO, theres really no need for an

express train. However, building 4 tracks would probably be the logical thing to do. If there is congestion or a mechanical failure or 1 train thats a local stop without any crossovers, then the whole line is screwed. 4 Tracks would be good.

My Question is, if its going down to Hanover Square, why not build towards South Ferry - Whitehall Street? I mean , theyre going to build a new line in Lower Manhattan, why not give the Staten Island Ferry Customers access to the T Train also?

My Question is, if its going down to Hanover Square, why not build towards South Ferry - Whitehall Street? I mean , theyre going to build a new line in Lower Manhattan, why not give the Staten Island Ferry Customers access to the T Train also?

Agreed, entirely. I think it should be extended in both directions beyond its current proposed terminals. In Manhattan, it should continue down to Whitehall, and on the other end, it should extend to 149th St./3rd Ave. to connect with the (2) and the (5), and then continue above 3rd Ave. in the Bronx as far as 167th St. This extension would take the place of the (8) that was discontinued in 1973.

According to the 2nd Av Map in the first post in this thread, the 2nd Av Subway looks to be ONLY 16 Stations long. Now, IMO, theres really no need for an

express train. However, building 4 tracks would probably be the logical thing to do. If there is congestion or a mechanical failure or 1 train thats a local stop without any crossovers, then the whole line is screwed. 4 Tracks would be good.

A two track line with or without crossovers is looking at major delays, especially in Manhattan in the event of mechanical failures, congestion, emergency situations & the newest threat of them all... flooding.

In Brooklyn or the other boroughs maybe, but in Manhattan, that's asking for it. That's just my opinion on what I think.

Archived