2 Av Subway Progress Thread

Brighton Local

Hey Daniel,

The Line doesn't exist yet :) . The first phase of the 2nd Av Subway, we'll witness the opening of will be sometime in 2013, with a simple extension of the Current Q Train.

The Q will pull into Midtown - 57 St / 7 Av as usual, then continue North, turn right onto 63rd St, stopping at Lex Av / 63rd St with a transfer to the f Train, then turn left (North) andrun on 2nd Av stopping at 72nd St,then terminate at 96th St / 2nd Av.

The Q by then (I hate to say this)will probably be R-160's. Im sure The R68/R68A could see service on 2nd Av , but they dont have the proper rollsign destination readings to support any terminals; however, they can always be added into the signs..

Hey Daniel,

The Line doesn't exist yet :) . The first phase of the 2nd Av Subway, we'll witness the opening of will be sometime in 2013, with a simple extension of the Current Q Train.

The Q will pull into Midtown - 57 St / 7 Av as usual, then continue North, turn right onto 63rd St, stopping at Lex Av / 63rd St with a transfer to the f Train, then turn left (North) andrun on 2nd Av stopping at 72nd St,then terminate at 96th St / 2nd Av.

The Q by then (I hate to say this)will probably be R-160's. Im sure The R68/R68A could see service on 2nd Av , but they dont have the proper rollsign destination readings to support any terminals; however, they can always be added into the signs..

Well, most of the (Q) by that time will be R160s. I'm sure there will always be a few R68/As running on the line. But knowing how the MTA is now about having to spend money to make changes on rollsigns, dunno if that might be the case but I think they have no choice.

• 1 month later...
Well, most of the (Q) by that time will be R160s. I'm sure there will always be a few R68/As running on the line. But knowing how the MTA is now about having to spend money to make changes on rollsigns, dunno if that might be the case but I think they have no choice.

Yup, by that time R160s will on the N and W. Do you think they might transition over to computerized signs for the R68s if they do run on the 2nd Av line.

The extension of the Q might speed up service on the Broadway lines since the N slows down to crossover to the express south of 42nd: the N can use the crossover north of 57th/7th.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, by that time R160s will on the N and W. Do you think they might transition over to computerized signs for the R68s if they do run on the 2nd Av line.

The extension of the Q might speed up service on the Broadway lines since the N slows down to crossover to the express south of 42nd: the N can use the crossover north of 57th/7th.

I believe thats what will happen superdot.

The Q will run through 57 St as it will be a through station, but I also heard rumors that the N will continue to run express past 34th St, going Queens Bound and will switch tracks above 57 St / 7 Av, and I guess same for Brooklyn Bound Trains, the N would switch to the Express Tracks just north of 57 St; Making the R/W the PURE Broadway Locals lol :eek:

By the time the SAS is built in 203X, the R68/A will have retired or will be slated for retirement.

Not yet dude. When the first segment opens in 2013, the 68's/68a's should still definitely be around. I hope, they are my favorite! :(

R68 <1986-1988> Minimum 40 years per subway car Revenue Unit, so hmm, figure, maybe by 2026 for the 68's and

R68A <1988-1989> by 2028-2029?..

I would think it would be sweet if the 68 / A's ever ran on the Q via 2nd Av ;)

**I also believe that they wanted 2nd Av completed by 202*?, I can be wrong..

Well, also got to realize how many R160s the MTA gonna load the (Q) with and where the R68/As are running by then. The MTA wants the (Q) at 96th Street at least 10 years to 15 from now and the R160s are programmed for the (Q) to 96th Street, the R68/As don't have signs for that yet and dunno whether the MTA wants to add 96th to the rollsigns.

R68s on 2nd ave? dont count on it. the line is being built cbtc active i heard. the 68s would probably be reassigned to other lines by then. and the Hanover Sq stop is just a quick 3 block walk from the ferry. and as far as the Q running to 125th all times, from what ive reaserched and from the track map, non-rush hour trains will only run to 72nd Street's middle track. but of course thats when the south segment to Houston St opens!

Exactly, some of us might want to see 68's on 2nd ave. but the fact is, you really think that the MTA is going to build a new line and NOT have it ready from start with thenew signal system? that they are going to open a line 80 years in the making and not use all new equipment? When it started getting built in the 70's they were going to use nothing but the then new R46's. R160's and higher are all youre going to see on Second Ave!

• 2 weeks later...
Today on mta.info the picture of the day says that work on the SAS has begun, with a picture of a tunnel under construction. Does anyone know whether a TBM has arrived for it yet?

I don't think there is one yet. I would guess that they're still working on the existing tunnels. Unless somebody knows for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
i doubt it. there is existing tunnel near Grand Street.

the only TBM thats i know of thats arrived is the one for the north tube on the ESA project.

and the exsisting tunnel near grand i understand is not being used. that was built when the plan was set for a one level, 4-track grand st station. the new plan puts the T on the lower level.

• 1 month later...

Not to bring up a dead topic, but a few questions...

How many feet has the first tunnel boring machine for ESA bored? What Street is it under?

Has the 2nd TBM for ESA started drillikng yet?

Also, any word on the TBM for SAS?

Sorry if these questions seem like a lot, but thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answers.

• 1 month later...
and the exsisting tunnel near grand i understand is not being used. that was built when the plan was set for a one level, 4-track grand st station. the new plan puts the T on the lower level.

correct. the SAS will stop at a lower level at Grand St. I think this may have to to do with the clearances around the tracks to the Manny-B from Broadway, and the relative depths (and probably fairly sharp grades) needed to get SAS around them...

As far as I know, the work uptown is mostly relocation of utilities at this point. there are some previously dug sections of tunnel, but they are north of 96th and will be done Cut-and-Cover later during Phase 2.

Also in response to R160B8713, the TBM for SAS is far from ready, as far as I know the Launch box isn't even begun yet hence the 2015 expected completion date for Phase I...

I check out the place every Thursday after school since it's only a few blocks away. Anyway, they've finished work on the West Side of Second Avenue from 91st to 95th Streets (The launch box is from 91-97, but 96 and up are tunnel so it doesn't need utility relocation - that was already completed decades ago) in what was about 8 months. I'm checking the place tomorrow but they are rapidly progressing with things on the East Side and will be done in four months.

A good site for the launch box - http://thelaunchbox.blogspot.com/

Also, offtopic but I hear they're starting on the launch box of the 7 train extension.

Archived