Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 hour ago, alexx said:

Sorry to hear, wow, by .1 inch?!?   I would suggest you get that done asap before the list expires next year.. I see people previously going back with the sleep study and being immediately pushed to the front as priority.. Did you ask them to double check if you'll be priority once you finish for the soonest class if any becomes available? Good luck and hope you can get it fix and make it in time !

I didn’t but the lady whom I spoke with said I should get it done asap and not to wait for the 90 days. Hopefully this’ll all be over soon. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexx said:

Sorry to hear, wow, by .1 inch?!?   I would suggest you get that done asap before the list expires next year.. I see people previously going back with the sleep study and being immediately pushed to the front as priority.. Did you ask them to double check if you'll be priority once you finish for the soonest class if any becomes available? Good luck and hope you can get it fix and make it in time !

Thank you. I didn’t. The woman who I spoke to told me they give 90 days but to do it asap and email the results back to them. Now that I know that the next class is on the 22nd, I’m push myself to get it done. Hopefully I can do so by the end of this month.  🤞🏽 

15 hours ago, alexx said:

*snip*

While I have my own misgivings of the union, there are positives aspects of it as Milano pointed out.

Also keep in mind, the union includes yourself and your fellow co-workers. It's not just the people at the union hall. And unfortunately, people barely attend the monthly conductor (which meets every second Wednesday of the month at 10AM or 6PM by the way) and train operator union meetings. People barely vote when it comes to election time (although there's a valid grievance for this as well). The union executive board sees the low attendance and low voter turnout and realize they don't have to care about RTO. While on the other hand people in other departments such as buses have a strong union presence and it's reflected when it's time to negotiate our contracts.

TL;DR: While we have family and friends to attend to, sometimes you have to make room for the union as well.

All large unions are double edged swords because for all the help they can give you, they are also another layer of bureaucracy for us to navigate.

plus there was that whole incident at Bedford Park Blvd… sometimes you can find yourself in a situation where one of the union leaders can be worse than the management. I don’t see Jano Leiber showing up with a goon squad to break someone’s leg…

this is one reason to get involved, so you can be sure the right people are representing you.

6 minutes ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

No there isn't an official store. Just certain ppl that make hoodies, and hats, etc. But official uniforms, no.

So how does distribution work? Do they literally give you so much clothes? I've seen all sorts of apparel and headwear on the job. Pants/shoes are more generic without logo but I would think they have a easy spot for employees to get more if needed/wanted.. Same with accessories that may aid in your job.. There is no GO-TO place ?

9 minutes ago, alexx said:

So how does distribution work? Do they literally give you so much clothes? I've seen all sorts of apparel and headwear on the job. Pants/shoes are more generic without logo but I would think they have a easy spot for employees to get more if needed/wanted.. Same with accessories that may aid in your job.. There is no GO-TO place ?

Unipro MTA is the place where your uniform comes from. I don’t know where their headquarters is(might be PA but I’m not sure). They have a website where you can order any clothes you want. However the very first set of uniform is already covered. They take your measurements in your first week and you just wait for it to be delivered to your house.

1 minute ago, goliver28 said:

Unipro MTA is the place where your uniform comes from. I don’t know where their headquarters is(might be PA but I’m not sure). They have a website where you can order any clothes you want. However the very first set of uniform is already covered. They take your measurements in your first week and you just wait for it to be delivered to your house.

Is that website accessible now with BSN&Pin like how we ordered our boots  or do we need to wait until next week or so for the info/login?

9 minutes ago, alexx said:

Is that website accessible now with BSN&Pin like how we ordered our boots  or do we need to wait until next week or so for the info/login?

You can try it out. You're new so I'm not sure if your info is across all platforms already, but if u want to try, go on the MTA/Unipro site, u can probably Google it and it'll pop up...and enter your pass number as the user name and the last 4 of ya social as the password. See if that works. If not, then you'll have to wait a little until the process your info into unipros site.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:00 AM, Milano said:

For all of you just getting into the class, welcome. There's going to be times ahead where the schedule and the things expected of you are going to make you question your decision. Push through. This is worth it. I'm 9 months in, and it gets better, then it gets worse again, then it gets even more better... Stick with it. This is a great place to be.

Also, reach out to the union as much as you need. If you guys could see my call log with my union rep of choice, you would think I'm crazy. 9 months and probably at least 50 phone calls. I trust my rep to give me the correct answers on things. Make meetings if you can, as well. There's a lot more to this job and the potential of this job then just getting a paycheck at $25 an hour to start. Be involved with your union if you can attend the meetings. This is a lifestyle and a culture and an endless sea of possibility if you're active and engaged in the processes of what makes this whole thing function.

Hi Milano,

May I ask? What has the schedule been looking like over the last 9 months for you? How much of that do you have control over? What would you recommend on getting work, drive or just ride the system? and finally is it similar to bus operators where everyone reports to a depot or do you jump on a train at any random station?

Sorry for the loaded question. Really appreciate your feedback here for everyone.

20 minutes ago, alexx said:

I don't know if it'll be accessible prior to doing the measurements. I didn't discover the website until like a week or 2 after the measurements.

48 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

Hi Milano,

May I ask? What has the schedule been looking like over the last 9 months for you? How much of that do you have control over? What would you recommend on getting work, drive or just ride the system? and finally is it similar to bus operators where everyone reports to a depot or do you jump on a train at any random station?

Sorry for the loaded question. Really appreciate your feedback here for everyone.

The schedule is probably the most complicated thing to answer. We report to yards and terminals. Theoretically you could be ordered to work anyplace at any station (platform jobs, etc) but first you'll report to a yard or a terminal.

You'll go everywhere. For me, uptown is closer to my home. I had about 50% uptown work when I started, then I was everyplace, then I won a bid (regular job that someone vacated) so I worked that, then they sent me everyplace again, and now I've been uptown much of the time with a random Queens thrown in)

Trains and buses are always your best bet when you're on probation because if the train or the bus is late,  your lateness will be excused. Of course, you can't jump on a train that was scheduled to arrive at your starting location 2 minutes before you were supposed to start. If the train was supposed to get there 8 or 10 minutes before your starting time and it was late, and they'll excuse it.  You'll make your own decision on driving or not depending on what job they give you for the day.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:02 PM, Comrade96 said:

I would advise updating your contact info at the MTA, how far away did you move into NJ?

Do I need to update that info when I take my OPA this Friday? Or should I update it on the email they provided on the letter I was sent? 

Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, Amir said:

Do I need to update that info when I take my OPA this Friday? Or should I update it on the email they provided on the letter I was sent? 

Thank you. 

it should.be updated asap, there is a process to doing it you gotta met the BSC know via email

On 5/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, tsanchez2828 said:

I can agree since I live in Jersey,no sense to drive to the city unless there's free employee parking

When you get that PM job that ends at 2:00 in the morning in Queens and there's no train running you back to New Jersey, you'll be driving

Edited by Milano

3 hours ago, Milano said:

When you get that PM job that ends at 2:00 in the morning in Queens and there's no train running you back to New Jersey, you'll be driving

Then I might have to use Uber more then I would like.....side question,there's shifts that end at 2am? Yikes

Edited by tsanchez2828

1 hour ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Then I might have to use Uber more then I would like.....side question,there's shifts that end at 2am? Yikes

Yes, expect to have a disorganized sleeping schedule, sleepless nights/mornings, etc. Until u can pick a job, u will be all over the place, as far as scheduling, hours worked, location of pick up/ drop off...etc. Its tough in the beginning. If you can get through that in the beginning Until you're able to pick a steady job, you're good.

13 minutes ago, Amir said:

Do you know by any chance which email I should send it to? 

If you need to update information, you have to email examsunit@nyct.com . Include ya name, applicant ID, and the requested change of your personal information. On the subject line type "CONTACT INFO UPDATE". Also type the same info to DCAS at oasys@dcas.nyc.gov Since they're the ones who do the processing.

Edited by Jsalcedo718
Missed some info