Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2023 at 7:55 PM, Amir said:

You did the sleep study at home? Also what possible reason they can keep a medical on hold? 

Hi. Yes I was able to complete my sleep study at home. I was on medical hold because they claimed I had high chances of sleep apnea. The office did it twice because the first study the AHI was low and they were confused as to why I was sent in. I repeated and it still came back low so they gave me a letter along with the results to submit.  The second thing was that they wanted bloodwork from my doctor for my A1C. I went to urgent care came back 8.5. Not sure if they’ll accept that but I need my doctor to sign off on that and fill the form out. I’ll try to do that by next week. 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:58 AM, Amir said:

By any chance what email should I look out for to get my OPA results. I don’t want to miss any emails in case it goes into the spam folder. 🫥

Didn’t get any OPA results to be honest. Olha called, I missed the call and dialed back and she told me to look out for an email with further instructions. 

1 hour ago, Amir said:

How are you liking it so far? 

** I have always wonder what happens if the conductor needs to use the bathroom very bad? 

You stop the train and use the bathroom. Nothing else you can do. Of course, everyone in the system will know you did that because you had to call in the request for comfort over the radio... So you'll learn to go before you leave the house and before you leave the terminal, just like you were taught as a kid.

Edited by Milano

From Canella Gomez, RTO VP

Quick RTO personnel update 

▪ Current number of people out for all 3 titles comp and sick (as of Monday 6/20/23)

Comp Sick

T/O 266 255

C/R 343 300

TW/O 8 18

▪ Hiring forecast

The following induction classes are scheduled for the remainder of 2023:

📌Classes of 70 Train Operators each scheduled for June, July, August, October, November and December.

📌Classes of 60 Conductors each scheduled for June, July, September, October and December.

📌Class of 12 Tower Operators scheduled for August; an additional class of 11 for a class date TBD.

▪ Promotional forecast

📌Class of 12 for promotion to T/D scheduled for August; an additional promotion class of 12 scheduled for a date TBD.

📌Class of 17 for promotion to AT/D scheduled for a date TBD.

📌Classes of 15 Train Service Supervisors each scheduled for July, and October

📌HR was only able to fill 7 of 15 available positions for the 6/19/23 promotion to TSS due to employees declining the promotion.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:12 PM, Blu24 said:

Didn’t get any OPA results to be honest. Olha called, I missed the call and dialed back and she told me to look out for an email with further instructions. 

I believe her pay grade is a bit less than conductors... For the amount of work she puts in, this woman is worth her weight in gold 🥇

On 6/16/2023 at 11:08 PM, Blu24 said:

Hi. Yes I was able to complete my sleep study at home. I was on medical hold because they claimed I had high chances of sleep apnea. The office did it twice because the first study the AHI was low and they were confused as to why I was sent in. I repeated and it still came back low so they gave me a letter along with the results to submit.  The second thing was that they wanted bloodwork from my doctor for my A1C. I went to urgent care came back 8.5. Not sure if they’ll accept that but I need my doctor to sign off on that and fill the form out. I’ll try to do that by next week. 

8.5 is high. I hope you can get that under control.. transit might not like that number. I'd go again for a test after fasting overnight, though it usually takes 3 months for this number to change substantially...  Are you prescribed anything for your diabetes? 

@Blu24 You’ll get in. Don’t be discouraged. I’m not a doctor and not familiar with A1C but i do know sometimes what we eat has to change. Try drinking lots of water, eating plenty of salads, fruits, veggies. Stay away from the processed foods. Even if it takes a little longer for your A1C to get right, according to the post there will be several classes through December so you should be able to make it to one of those classes.

Ok let me chime in here as a Diabetic and folks please listen very carefully..

Anything over 8.9 with the A1C  gets you restricted to platform as a CR or Switching as a TO...

I saw a 8.5 Number that will get them to tell you to get it lower..

If they Put you on medical hold for ANYTHING once you get that in order and they hire you then the 6 month program begins..

Meaning every 6 months for the REST of your career they will have you go to the MAC and check to see if you have that condition under control.

So instead of going to the MAC once a year for the annual you go twice a year the second time for the revisit.

Make sure you have anything your doctor needs to show you are under control with any condition.

Trust me you don't want to be restricted even though you are extra extra they change your tour your days off on a whim. 

If the condition is bad enough they will put you out No Work Available..

On 6/21/2023 at 6:41 AM, DaVon said:

@Blu24 You’ll get in. Don’t be discouraged. I’m not a doctor and not familiar with A1C but i do know sometimes what we eat has to change. Try drinking lots of water, eating plenty of salads, fruits, veggies. Stay away from the processed foods. Even if it takes a little longer for your A1C to get right, according to the post there will be several classes through December so you should be able to make it to one of those classes.

Thank you 🙏. I’m trying 😂. My PCP said he’s going to do another test so hopefully I’ll have better numbers this go around. But yea it’s definitely doable. When I just found out I had diabetes it was over 12 and with hard work and dedication I got it down to 6. The good ole days.  Haha. 

25 minutes ago, Blu24 said:

Thank you 🙏. I’m trying 😂. My PCP said he’s going to do another test so hopefully I’ll have better numbers this go around. But yea it’s definitely doable. When I just found out I had diabetes it was over 12 and with hard work and dedication I got it down to 6. The good ole days.  Haha. 

Six is great considering it was that high...Awesome...

47 minutes ago, Blu24 said:

6 is a great number. I hover around 6.3-6.6. Do you have a endo? I know a PCP is perfectly capable of basic treatment but you really should have an endocrinologist as well. Best of luck to you! 🙏 

Start walking 15 football field lengths everyday... It's about the same you'll do walking up and down platforms at transit. You'll get the number down fast, lol. I lost 33lbs in school car.

@RTOManI think they forgot about me.. I was on medical hold less than 24 hours at pre-employment... Got hired... Got my form filled out again 6 months later, called the Mac... Four different Macs, six different people... Couldn't get an appointment. Nobody said I needed one. I don't know 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by Milano

34 minutes ago, Milano said:

6 is a great number. I hover around 6.3-6.6. Do you have a endo? I know a PCP is perfectly capable of basic treatment but you really should have an endocrinologist as well. Best of luck to you! 🙏 

Start walking 15 football field lengths everyday... It's about the same you'll do walking up and down platforms at transit. You'll get the number down fast, lol. I lost 33lbs in school car.

@RTOManI think they forgot about me.. I was on medical hold less than 24 hours at pre-employment... Got hired... Got my form filled out again 6 months later, called the Mac... Four different Macs, six different people... Couldn't get an appointment. Nobody said I needed one. I don't know 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Oh yes sometimes one slips through the cracks...Shhhhh

10 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Oh yes sometimes one slips through the cracks...Shhhhh

I was just trying not to get dragged into any drama. But I have records of who I called and when. So if they ever do ask me, I'll just tell them. 

1 hour ago, Milano said:

That’s amazing. Yes I do have an endocrinologist as well. Haven’t seen him in over 6 months because my PCP has been treating me. Endo cut his hours and getting an appt seemed so difficult😮‍💨. I have an appointment with him in the middle of July. I try to walk a lot. I also do just dance and use my ring fit to stay as active as possible plus it’s fun and entertaining lol especially for my kids