South Brooklyn Improvement

BDNQ2345

NYC

ROUTES

South Brooklyn Select Bus Service

Overview

B82 on Kings Highway

Overview

Crosstown bus trips in South Brooklyn are slow and long. Providing faster, more reliable bus service with better connections to existing subway lines is an important step to improve travel for transit riders. Select Bus Service (SBS) improvements in South Brooklyn will help to reduce time spent waiting for the bus, boarding the bus, and traveling crosstown, while providing a more comfortable bus ride and addressing pedestrian and traffic safety issues.

SBS routes operate in every borough, with a total of 8 routes citywide. SBS improvements are customized for each SBS corridor depending on the needs of the route. The benefits of SBS include the following:

Faster boarding with off-board fare payment and the ability to board the bus through any door

Faster, more reliable bus service with dedicated bus lanes to avoid congestion

Less time waiting at traffic lights with signal priority for buses (Transit Signal Priority)

Know when the next bus is coming with real-time information displays

Get directions at bus stops with neighborhood map displays

A more comfortable wait with improved bus shelters and benches

Safer streets and crossings with high-visibility crosswalks, improved medians, and reconfigured intersections

Together, these improvements have made for faster, more reliable, and more comfortable transit service throughout the city.

As part of the 2009 NYCDOT Phase II Bus Rapid Transit Corridor Study, improving crosstown bus service in South Brooklyn was identified as one of the most pressing bus service needs in New York City. Two major crosstown bus routes, the B82 and B6, currently serve 70,000+ riders per day and connect transit riders to 9 north-south subway lines. The B82 and B6 also connect riders to neighborhoods and jobs stretching from Coney Island to Canarsie and East New York. Select Bus Service improvements along these routes will provide for better transit connections across South Brooklyn.

NYCDOT and the MTA want to hear from you about the challenges you face with South Brooklyn crosstown travel and where improvements are needed along the B82 and B6 routes. Please use the B82 Feedback Map and the B6 Feedback Map to provide comments and suggestions.

We look forward to your input to improve travel across South Brooklyn!

And also on Brooklyn 12 news

http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/mta-asks-bus-riders-for-feedback-on-southern-brooklyn-problems-1.10761952

Both are too long for their own good. These are two routes which really should be four or five smaller (and more manageable) routes.

Reasonably speaking, the B6 at best you could break into 3... The B82, two (which is how it was before the MTA decided to merge the old B5 & B50).....

Which add up to my four or five smaller routes (2-to-3 for the B6, 2 for the B82).

The B6 already had short turned buses. They were quite annoying when I lived in Midwood.  Anytime I needed to go to Bensonhurst back in the day to hang out with friends, getting there was a PITA, as too many buses terminated at Coney Island Avenue.

The B6 already had short turned buses. They were quite annoying when I lived in Midwood.  Anytime I needed to go to Bensonhurst back in the day to hang out with friends, getting there was a PITA, as too many buses terminated at Coney Island Avenue.

I could see the B6 split into three routes: 

B6:  Bensonhurst to the Junction

B76:  Coney Island Avenue to Canarsie

B86:  Canarsie Terminal to New Lots Station (interline with B84?)

Would all 3 come from UP or FLA/ENY? I could split the 82 back into 2 routes again:

B5-Coney Island to Flatbush Av (maybe interline with the B7 [and have it return to FLA]) or Kings Plaza

B50- Kings Highway (B)(Q) to Starrett City

Would all 3 come from UP or FLA/ENY? I could split the 82 back into 2 routes again:

B5-Coney Island to Flatbush Av (maybe interline with the B7 [and have it return to FLA]) or Kings Plaza

The average passengers won't care about depot assignments, as long as the bus shows up.

Interesting... I only used the B6 from Midwood to South Brooklyn back in the day, so I can't comment on the other portions past Avenue J.  Back in the old days the B6 wasn't terribly crowded past Coney Island Av with Bensonhurst being heavily Italian-American, but that's no longer the case.  There's a lot of Chinese now amongst other nationalities as we Italians have moved out, and those people use the local buses, so I would think that ridership would be heavier past Coney Island Avenue.

.....and which of these that you see, would you decide to dedicate the most service to?

.......I could split the 82 back into 2 routes again:

As I've mentioned in older posts, I think the B7 should split off to assist the B17 along Remsen in Canarsie... The routing above church/Kings Hwy. would be left intact..... As for reviving the B5, one issue with it (along w/ the B7) was terminating buses full time at Flatbush/Kings Hwy..... They wanted to eliminate (as many) buses as they could throughout the day ending there.... This came w/ an increase in the amt. of B7's that ran the full distance to CI/Quentin..... Back when the B5/B50 were detached, B7 service to Quentin was much less......

The problem I had/have w/ the B82 merger was the fact that they decided to throw the B50 into the mix, when the issues with service along Kings Hwy. were with the B5 & the B7 - and this is where I believe the MTA got lazy/desperate/whatever you wish to call it - Instead of looking to send the B5 elsewhere on its own, they combined it with the B50.... Yes, B5 ridership wasn't all too great back then, but the portion of the current B82 b/w Coney Island & Kings Hwy. on the Brighton has increased pretty significantly....

My plan entails having the B82 split up.... However, I would not bring back the B5 as it was (I have another somewhat related route dubbed the "B5", which takes the place of the B4 b/w stillwell av & Bay ridge - narrows av & service along Cropsey south of 25th av).... Anyway, to sum it up, I'd have a[n]:

* 100% reversion of the B50....

* B7 running from Utica/Eastern Pkwy to Canarsie (via Remsen, taking on the Paerdegat branch of the B17 via Rockaway Pkwy. subway)...

* The B100 running from Mill Basin to Caesar's Bay shopping ctr....

That's all I got for now....

I don't follow (whatever point you're making).....

----------

Unrelated, I wonder how the B103 would fare if it ended at E. 105th (L).....

when u look at what to do with the coridor between  the junction and rockarway parkway the B103 should be involved.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en-US&mid=zgiH2bk4KNtA.kZerw3sbJ1Fg

Here is the map of improvement of B6 and B82

B6- Bens/ 25Av- Flatbush Junction (2)(5) / Nostrand Ave

B76- Midwood/ CI Av- Canrsie/ Rockaway pkwy (L)

B86- Canrasie/ Rkwy pkwy (L) - New Lots ave (3)

B5- CI Bus terminal (D)(F)(N)(Q) - Kings plaza

B50- Kings Hwy sta. (B)(Q) - Spring Creek

I try my best

I'm surprised there hasn't been many complaints about the B43 (47/62) and B47 (40/78)

I'm still trying to figure the logic behind re-numbering the Kingston/Tompkins route as B43. It should have remained the B47. The combined Ralph Avenue variant (40/78) should have become the B40, IMO, because the northern end still covers most of the old Ralph Avenue route. Maybe I'm in the minority on this one though. I know most of the numbers but we oldtime Brooklynites still say the Ralph Avenue, Flatbush Avenue, Pitkin Avenue, or Utica Avenue bus, for example. Likewise it's the Brighton, Sea Beach, Canarsie, or Fulton Street line for many of us subway riders. Carry on.

Archived