Questions About the Tracks Beyond Jamaica Center-Parson Archer

Bracamonte

From what I read, the tracks of both levels of the Parson-archer station continues east towards 160th Street and South Road. The upper level tracks are unique cause there are provisions for a portal for the tracks to rise up and merge with the nearby LIRR ROW at 158th Street. Was it to capture that line or to create some kind of hybrid service?

Looking on Google Maps at 160th Street and South Road, there is a football field and tennis courts in that vicinity, and unless I'm looking wrong, I'm not sure if there's even room for a tunnel portal without bulldozing that area.

Here's a picture of the so called upper level layup track I found online.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?107334

In the future, if the MTA decides to extend the Archer Avenue Line, will it follow the original plans of the Program for Action of 1968, where it would rise from a portal at that location to link with the LIRR line? Is that even possible in this day of age?

According to Jeffrey Erlitz, it would have taken over the LIRR.

This is from the October 2004 ERA Bulletin, which can be found here:

http://issuu.com/erausa/docs/2004-10-bulletin-centennial-pages/c/scq2rcu

IND%20Southeast%20Queens%20Line-Route%20

This one is from the December 2004 ERA Bulletin:

http://issuu.com/erausa/docs/2004-12-bulletin?e=9209248/8891814

IND%20Southeast%20Queens%20Line-Route%20

So the tunnel continues to Springfield Gardens area? Interesting

No. That'd be awfully wasteful to leave a few miles of tunnel unused. The tunnels only extend a few blocks beyond the station to roughly South Road and 160 St. Around there a portal would connect to the Atlantic Branch of the LIRR and the subway would take over the portion of that line between there and Laurelton. 

sbEBMzz.png

Judging by that drawing of the track map, something tells me that there should be a station at Liberty Avenue.

But then you'd get rid of the tail tracks, which would be ideal and would give Parsons/Archer maximum capacity were it not for the crossover being too far from the station.

A Liberty Avenue station would be very close to the Parsons stop anyway. Based on the maps, they were going with the idea of stations being placed further apart then the usual BMT or IND spacing. The distance between Sutphin-Archer and Parsons has to be at least 1,000 feet, while the distance between the Baisely Park and the Springfield stations would have been about 6,000 feet. The distance between Linden Blvd and Baisley would have been around 4,000 feet.

• 6 months later...

The (E) lay up tracks end right under the parking lot next to a church and 40 projects between 158th st and the LIRR ROW, the evidence is the subway grates in that parking lot.

Imo an extension is needed badly

Having the (E) go via atlantic branch (original plan) would be unrealistic at this point.

Me i would have the (E) go under 157th st making stops at south rd, 110th st and would make a left on linden blvd making a stop at guy brewer and the final stop would be merrick blvd and linden blvd, it would make sense if it ran under 157th st since the tunnel currently ends right next to 157th st

Archived