Tracks of the NYC Subway: Request for info/changes

Peter Dougherty

Thanks for the clarification. I just got a copy of the ongoing G.O. to confirm. I'm guessing this is Sandy repair related.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for early-December delivery.

Yes, the GO is Sandy repair work related.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that I have the book in hand, I have numerous corrections for the towers section:

xviii:
City Hall Master controls from the Montague Tube to Lex-60, not Whitehall to 57-7

xix:
There is still confusion even with 3 digit signals. One example is X154, which refers to both the first home signal encountered on the Brooklyn end of the north side of the Manhattan bridge, and the leaving home signal on J1 at Myrtle-Broadway, both of which are on the same frequency and both areas can be heard by each other!

The Canarsie line still does have towers with push button machines, but these are now satellite towers to CBTC consoles and are only manned during GOs, typically when a line is being short-turned.

Unionport - this tower should have the + symbol. It is manned 24/7 by tower operators who control everything on the mainlines north of E180, as well as Unionport yard. Note that this is the ONLY IRT mainline tower left which is still being operated by a tower machine rather than ATS, and will likely remain this way until well after the signal replacement project on the Dyre line is complete.

xx:
Mosholu - correct location is in CONCOURSE yard, the building right next to the leads into Mosholu Yard. Also, the station is just Woodlawn (there's no Woodlawn Ave, it's named for the cemetary nearby). Also as long as I'm nitpicking, there's a comma missing after 167th Street and a period missing before Controls

Times Square - This tower is now 100% closed. All operations have moved to 34. + symbol should be removed.

34 - This tower controls from the tail tracks at 34 to Hunters Point and is manned 24/7. It's also HUDSON yards, not West Side Yards.

Livonia - this yard hosts the (2)(3)(4)(5)

Flatbush - the <5> designation is no longer used. I've seen it a couple times throughout this book.

City Hall - does NOT control anything at Broad St, that is all Essex. It does control the Nassau Cut in the Montague tube.

Stillwell Master Tower - There are actually two towers in this building, in separate rooms. Stillwell Master controls all of the mainlines, as well as Stillwell Yard. Coney Island Tower (a different tower machine across the hallway) controls the majority of Coney Island Yard, except for what Ave X tower controls.

Essex - Also controls everything at Broad St.

xxi:

59 - The correct location is on the mezzanine level at the north end of the station, although the entire tower is walled off from public view.

Bedford Park Master - This tower controls the entire Bronx Concourse line, from south of 161 to the relays north of 205 and the yard leads.

WTC - this tower is only manned on midnights and during GOs, at other times it is on automatic with "what you punch is what you get"

30-8 - only manned for GOs

Court Square - should be classified as a Satellite of Queensboro

Church - should be classified as a Master Tower

Fourth Ave - should be classified as a Satellite of Church

York - only manned for GOs

Parsons-Archer - correct location is at SOUTH end of station. Also Van Wyck Blvd is now known simply as Briarwood.

xxii:

Roosevelt - has full AM and PM tours, closed on midnights and weekends except during GOs.

21st Street - should be classified as a Satellite of Queensboro

NORTHERN BLVD - This tower is missing completely from the list. It controls a single switch just south of Northern Blvd (M)(R) station, and allows trains to be turned there. This tower is almost never manned (especially since the 63 St connector project finished) but it hasn't yet been deactivated.

Lafayette & Utica - only manned during GOs.

Broadway Junction - has full AM and PM tours, closed on midnights and weekends except during GOs.

Mott Ave - this is a unique tower. It's normally kept on automatic and unmanned, in which case the dispatcher's starting lights will give the lit track a lineup to go north, and when the starting lights are off, will automatically line the next southbound train into a free pocket. The starting lights only can be remotely controlled from Rock Park tower as well. Is manned during GOs only (single pocket, cold weather plans).

Rockaway Parkway - the local towers throughout the line still exist, and were upgraded to push-button machines. These towers are only manned during GOs and can be considered satellites of the CBTC console.

207 Yard - Calling Tower B normally closed is an exaggeration, as moves are made there every week. However, it is only manned when there are planned moves for the upcoming tour.

Unionport - this tower still controls all mainline traffic north of E180

Coney Island Yard - this tower does not control Stillwell Yard (the layup yard between the (D) and (N) lines), that is controlled by Stillwell Master Tower, which is a separate tower machine.

239 - another use of the <5>

xxxvii:
This page has the old cover on it, with the (1) train 

Now that I have the book in hand, I have numerous corrections for the towers section:

xviii:
City Hall Master controls from the Montague Tube to Lex-60, not Whitehall to 57-7

xix:
There is still confusion even with 3 digit signals. One example is X154, which refers to both the first home signal encountered on the Brooklyn end of the north side of the Manhattan bridge, and the leaving home signal on J1 at Myrtle-Broadway, both of which are on the same frequency and both areas can be heard by each other!

The Canarsie line still does have towers with push button machines, but these are now satellite towers to CBTC consoles and are only manned during GOs, typically when a line is being short-turned.

Unionport - this tower should have the + symbol. It is manned 24/7 by tower operators who control everything on the mainlines north of E180, as well as Unionport yard. Note that this is the ONLY IRT mainline tower left which is still being operated by a tower machine rather than ATS, and will likely remain this way until well after the signal replacement project on the Dyre line is complete.

xx:
Mosholu - correct location is in CONCOURSE yard, the building right next to the leads into Mosholu Yard. Also, the station is just Woodlawn (there's no Woodlawn Ave, it's named for the cemetary nearby). Also as long as I'm nitpicking, there's a comma missing after 167th Street and a period missing before Controls

Times Square - This tower is now 100% closed. All operations have moved to 34. + symbol should be removed.

34 - This tower controls from the tail tracks at 34 to Hunters Point and is manned 24/7. It's also HUDSON yards, not West Side Yards.

Livonia - this yard hosts the (2)(3)(4)(5)

Flatbush - the <5> designation is no longer used. I've seen it a couple times throughout this book.

City Hall - does NOT control anything at Broad St, that is all Essex. It does control the Nassau Cut in the Montague tube.

Stillwell Master Tower - There are actually two towers in this building, in separate rooms. Stillwell Master controls all of the mainlines, as well as Stillwell Yard. Coney Island Tower (a different tower machine across the hallway) controls the majority of Coney Island Yard, except for what Ave X tower controls.

Essex - Also controls everything at Broad St.

xxi:

59 - The correct location is on the mezzanine level at the north end of the station, although the entire tower is walled off from public view.

Bedford Park Master - This tower controls the entire Bronx Concourse line, from south of 161 to the relays north of 205 and the yard leads.

WTC - this tower is only manned on midnights and during GOs, at other times it is on automatic with "what you punch is what you get"

30-8 - only manned for GOs

Court Square - should be classified as a Satellite of Queensboro

Church - should be classified as a Master Tower

Fourth Ave - should be classified as a Satellite of Church

York - only manned for GOs

Parsons-Archer - correct location is at SOUTH end of station. Also Van Wyck Blvd is now known simply as Briarwood.

xxii:

Roosevelt - has full AM and PM tours, closed on midnights and weekends except during GOs.

21st Street - should be classified as a Satellite of Queensboro

NORTHERN BLVD - This tower is missing completely from the list. It controls a single switch just south of Northern Blvd (M)(R) station, and allows trains to be turned there. This tower is almost never manned (especially since the 63 St connector project finished) but it hasn't yet been deactivated.

Lafayette & Utica - only manned during GOs.

Broadway Junction - has full AM and PM tours, closed on midnights and weekends except during GOs.

Mott Ave - this is a unique tower. It's normally kept on automatic and unmanned, in which case the dispatcher's starting lights will give the lit track a lineup to go north, and when the starting lights are off, will automatically line the next southbound train into a free pocket. The starting lights only can be remotely controlled from Rock Park tower as well. Is manned during GOs only (single pocket, cold weather plans).

Rockaway Parkway - the local towers throughout the line still exist, and were upgraded to push-button machines. These towers are only manned during GOs and can be considered satellites of the CBTC console.

207 Yard - Calling Tower B normally closed is an exaggeration, as moves are made there every week. However, it is only manned when there are planned moves for the upcoming tour.

Unionport - this tower still controls all mainline traffic north of E180

Coney Island Yard - this tower does not control Stillwell Yard (the layup yard between the (D) and (N) lines), that is controlled by Stillwell Master Tower, which is a separate tower machine.

239 - another use of the <5>

xxxvii:
This page has the old cover on it, with the (1) train 

I am not sure if he will check here, but I have sent him corrections in the past here, at nyctrackbook@gmail.com.

Based on Snowblock's comments, only other note I would add is that Unionport also controls the switches just south of E180. Basically they control from West Farms north. Saying they control from E180 north omits the switches south of the station which are commonly used for relay moves when laying up trains if the middle track is occupied.

This mistake appears a couple times throughout the book - the lower level of 9th Ave only has one remaining track - the middle track (C 3/4). C1 and C2 have been permanently removed and have new columns up on the roadbed to prevent the upper level from collapsing. C1 and C2 now end in bumper blocks just north of the station, but the signaling has been modified so that no lineup can be given into either bumper track past the switches. Also, C 3/4 is now the connector to the dump track. Page 39 and page 88 still shows C2 as being the through track, when the alignment was changed a couple years ago.

Page 40 has a reference to the long-gone <M> service. Although (D) service still takes a bottom yellow at X82 when it runs local after 10pm. Also, page 40 says that 38 St yard is on page 84, when it's actually on page 88.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I just looked back on this thread once again as I'm preparing to put the 2017 edition together. Thanks kindly, Snowblock, for your corrections. They WILL be included in the 2017 edition, and I am most grateful for your assistance! This is a one-man show here, and when you re-read the same text blocks over and over, in the course of the 21 years I've been doing this, it's easy to overlook obvious errors. I had one kind contributor point out several track numbers that had been in the wrong location since before 2000!

This also goes out to everybody. The new edition is being compiled this month (November, 2016) for publication in early December. I've got the Second Avenue stuff pretty well finished but I'm always looking for updates, corrections, new project information, changed signal numbers, new track alignments and so on. I will gladly give you written credit if you'd like, either by name or nickname, and for new/updated single line drawings, a free copy of the book and this author's sincerest thanks.

Just a quick note to congratulate Zach Summer for taking both the front and back covers for this coming year's edition in the photo contest!

Here are some of the things I'm still looking for, for the 2017 edition:

• Any new towers or tower changes.
  • Any other towers removed from service, master tower control limits changed, yard towers, etc.
  • Any known progress on Cortlandt St. (1) or the stub station downstairs at S.F.? Last I heard was 2018 for Cortlandt and *maybe* June or July 2017 for SF.
  • Any track changes, additions, removals, etc.
  • Any homeball changes at existing interlockings
  • Is the new narrow-band radio change still using the same frequencies, have any more been added or CTCSS tones changed? I heard they were adding new yard channels to the radios from several sources but I haven't heard anything definite.
  • Any more station name changes?
  • This one's is a biggie: I'm still after single-line drawings for East 180th St. My drawings are based on hand sketches only and I'd really like to update these more accurately, if possible.

As has always been the case, full credit will be given upon request for major updates, and a free book for anybody who can locate single line drawings for the CBTC conversions and any major track/signal work within the last few years.

Any assistance is greatly appreciate. Please either reply here on this forum or by email to me directly at NYC Trackbook.
Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg

2017 Edition On Sale Now for early December delivery.

Hi all,

I just looked back on this thread once again as I'm preparing to put the 2017 edition together. Thanks kindly, Snowblock, for your corrections. They WILL be included in the 2017 edition, and I am most grateful for your assistance! This is a one-man show here, and when you re-read the same text blocks over and over, in the course of the 21 years I've been doing this, it's easy to overlook obvious errors. I had one kind contributor point out several track numbers that had been in the wrong location since before 2000!

This also goes out to everybody. The new edition is being compiled this month (November, 2016) for publication in early December. I've got the Second Avenue stuff pretty well finished but I'm always looking for updates, corrections, new project information, changed signal numbers, new track alignments and so on. I will gladly give you written credit if you'd like, either by name or nickname, and for new/updated single line drawings, a free copy of the book and this author's sincerest thanks.

Just a quick note to congratulate Zach Summer for taking both the front and back covers for this coming year's edition in the photo contest!

Here are some of the things I'm still looking for, for the 2017 edition:

• Any new towers or tower changes.
  • Any other towers removed from service, master tower control limits changed, yard towers, etc.
  • Any known progress on Cortlandt St. (1) or the stub station downstairs at S.F.? Last I heard was 2018 for Cortlandt and *maybe* June or July 2017 for SF.
  • Any track changes, additions, removals, etc.
  • Any homeball changes at existing interlockings
  • Is the new narrow-band radio change still using the same frequencies, have any more been added or CTCSS tones changed? I heard they were adding new yard channels to the radios from several sources but I haven't heard anything definite.
  • Any more station name changes?
  • This one's is a biggie: I'm still after single-line drawings for East 180th St. My drawings are based on hand sketches only and I'd really like to update these more accurately, if possible.

As has always been the case, full credit will be given upon request for major updates, and a free book for anybody who can locate single line drawings for the CBTC conversions and any major track/signal work within the last few years.

Any assistance is greatly appreciate. Please either reply here on this forum or by email to me directly at NYC Trackbook.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

Ok. Here's what I've spotted:

-on the Car/Yard Assignments page, The platform and train lengths section for the IRT is incorrect. IRT cars are 51' not 50' so IRT mainline trains are 510' and (7) trains are 565'.

Also (N) / (W) trains use 33 trains, (R) trains have also increased to 30 trains. I would also check the JoeKorner to see if other lines have also changed. (http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html)

-pg 17: The switch at Essex from J2 to J3-4 is back in service

-pg 61: the West 4th diagram: The (V) in the commonly used routings section should be changed to an (M).

-pg 65: the 53rd Street diagram: Commonly used routing section lists (B) to 57th Street

-The Nassau leads to Manhattan Bridge now have the yellow ties with flashing red lights across them so I'm guessing they won't be used for train storage anymore.

-The Nassau leads to Montague Tunnel are also no longer used for equipment moves from what I've heard.  They too had the flashing red lights and an ominous lack of tunnel lighting when I last passed through there in 2014.

Ok. Here's what I've spotted:

-on the Car/Yard Assignments page, The platform and train lengths section for the IRT is incorrect. IRT cars are 51' not 50' so IRT mainline trains are 510' and (7) trains are 565'.

Also (N) / (W) trains use 33 trains, (R) trains have also increased to 30 trains. I would also check the JoeKorner to see if other lines have also changed. (http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html)

-pg 17: The switch at Essex from J2 to J3-4 is back in service

-pg 61: the West 4th diagram: The (V) in the commonly used routings section should be changed to an (M).

-pg 65: the 53rd Street diagram: Commonly used routing section lists (B) to 57th Street

OK, I've changed the train lengths for both mainline and (7). I'd chosen to round them to even numbers, but I guess accuracy counts, so changed.

The switch at Essex has already been corrected, but I got it (it's also on 2 other pages).

Not sure what edition you're looking at for the V on Page. 61. In any event, it's good now.

Thanks for noticing the (B) routing. Dunno how that crept in there. IIRC, the (B) ran to Roosevelt Island at one point and I never changed it back. Corrected now; thanks!

-The Nassau leads to Manhattan Bridge now have the yellow ties with flashing red lights across them so I'm guessing they won't be used for train storage anymore.

-The Nassau leads to Montague Tunnel are also no longer used for equipment moves from what I've heard.  They too had the flashing red lights and an ominous lack of tunnel lighting when I last passed through there in 2014.

Re the Nassau Loop tracks: Where are the ties located? I'm guessing at the double-slip switches? I'll mark those tracks OOS now, though I'd like to see a G.O. for that to know if that's permanent or just temporary.

The Nassau St. Cut (to the Montague tubes) was put back in service earlier this year, although it's not used for any passenger services at the moment.

OK, I've changed the train lengths for both mainline and (7). I'd chosen to round them to even numbers, but I guess accuracy counts, so changed.

The switch at Essex has already been corrected, but I got it (it's also on 2 other pages).

Not sure what edition you're looking at for the V on Page. 61. In any event, it's good now.

Thanks for noticing the (B) routing. Dunno how that crept in there. IIRC, the (B) ran to Roosevelt Island at one point and I never changed it back. Corrected now; thanks!

Your welcome!

I have a copy of the 2016 edition bought before Christmas last year which shows a rogue (V) on that page.

Re the Nassau Loop tracks: Where are the ties located? I'm guessing at the double-slip switches? I'll mark those tracks OOS now, though I'd like to see a G.O. for that to know if that's permanent or just temporary.

The ties are about 15 feet north of the switches; they're hard to see from the front window because the tunnel lighting has been completely shut off in that section.  The tracks past that point (including the third rail) are covered in grime and appear to be pretty much abandoned.

The Nassau St. Cut (to the Montague tubes) was put back in service earlier this year, although it's not used for any passenger services at the moment.

It's definitely a better route for cars heading to maintenance at Coney Island than going through the Chrystie Cut and reversing onto the Manhattan Bridge.  Now if only the TA could fix the R32/42 clearance issue in Montague then they'd be all set.

It's definitely a better route for cars heading to maintenance at Coney Island than going through the Chrystie Cut and reversing onto the Manhattan Bridge.  Now if only the TA could fix the R32/42 clearance issue in Montague then they'd be all set.

What's the issue there? I know that only NTT trains can use Montague now but I'm not sure what the problem is (or if they plan to fix it with anything other than a G.O.).

What's the issue there? I know that only NTT trains can use Montague now but I'm not sure what the problem is (or if they plan to fix it with anything other than a G.O.).

Its an issue with the roadbed, I heard. Something about it being slightly higher than before and too close for the cars with straight sides.

Apparently the tunnels were rebuilt in such a way that older cars with straight sides can't clear the walls; I think it has something to do with the cable brackets being placed differently than they were originally though nobody has offered direct confirmation of this.  For a long time there was no word on whether the cables would be re-hung, but last I heard the TA had a plan to eventually remediate the clearance issue, though it seems to be more distant than near-term.  They seem in no rush to fix the problem and considering their usual pace of maintenance it'll probably be 5+ years before they get around to resolving it.  The closest comparison I can think of is when they did rail replacement on the Brighton Line in the '80s- the new placement was too high and they had to tear it all up and start over again.

On page ii, the Staten Island Railway is not referred to as the SIRT. It was referred as such before it came under the control of the MTA. It should say SIR if you choose to abbreviate.

On page iii, the MetroCard fare should be fixed. It should be $3.00 for a single ride, and $2.75 for a pre-loaded swipe.

On page iv, there is funding for Phase 2 of SAS.

On page v, it should now be 23 designations with the W brought back.

On page ix, there is a large space between "of the" and the "IRT". It is under the Other Unbuild Parts of the IND section.

On page xxxii, under the Key to BMT Zero locations, there should be a space between "BMT-N" and 58th Street.

On page xxxv, another stretch of unused tunnel you could mention is the former connection between the Broadway Line and the Manhattan Bridge north tracks.

On page xxxvi, there should be no space between De and Kalb Avenue.

On page xxxviii, the R46s are no longer planned to go to the SIR, the R211s are planned to replace the R44s.

On page xxxvix, the R188 order is complete, and the space between "of" and "506" should be removed.

On the same page, the R179s no longer have any option orders. They consist of 260 cars in four car sets, and 40 cars in five car sets. One five car set (#3010–3014) is on MTA property and is testing in the Rockaways.

On page 11, the side platforms at 96th Street are only 5 cars long.

On page 17 and/or 18, I think that you should at least make note of the existence of a fifth track at Spring Street.

On page 25, perhaps a mention of the trackway at Classon Avenue?

On page 42, you should mention the Bay Ridge Bridge trackways, and the provisions for two more additional tracks via Fourth Avenue between 59th Street and 86th Street.

On page 45, the provision at 29th Street on the 63rd Street Line was originally for the proposed Queens Bypass Line. Originally, as part of East Side Access, the T1A and T2A tracks would be extended to a new yard in Sunnyside Yards.

On page 49–50, the provisions at Woodhaven Boulevard were there to possibly convert it to an express station. The tracks would go on the outside of the station, and the platforms would have become island platforms, going over the existing local trackways. The bellmouths at Rego Park are from the IND Second System, and their purpose was to connect to the Long Island Rail Road's Rockaway Beach Branch. Signs for this exist. http://subwaynut.com/ind/65r/65r9.jpg

On page 53, concerning Jamaica Center, the D1A and D2A tracks were proposed to extend onto the LIRR's Atlantic Branch to Springfield Gardens. I have a map from the construction of the line showing that the tracks end at South Road.

25876850943_20c3a4a660_b.jpgProvision for Southeast Queens Extension of the IND Archer Avenue Line and an additional provision for the BMT Archer Avenue Line by spicker613, on Flickr

26413565271_2360fc5a36_b.jpgAdditional Detail of the provision for a Southeast Queens extension of the IND Archer Avenue Line by spicker613, on Flickr

This is what I have for now.

On page ii, the Staten Island Railway is not referred to as the SIRT. It was referred as such before it came under the control of the MTA. It should say SIR if you choose to abbreviate.

On page iii, the MetroCard fare should be fixed. It should be $3.00 for a single ride, and $2.75 for a pre-loaded swipe.

On page iv, there is funding for Phase 2 of SAS.

On page v, it should now be 23 designations with the W brought back.

On page ix, there is a large space between "of the" and the "IRT". It is under the Other Unbuild Parts of the IND section.

On page xxxii, under the Key to BMT Zero locations, there should be a space between "BMT-N" and 58th Street.

On page xxxv, another stretch of unused tunnel you could mention is the former connection between the Broadway Line and the Manhattan Bridge north tracks.

On page xxxvi, there should be no space between De and Kalb Avenue.

On page xxxviii, the R46s are no longer planned to go to the SIR, the R211s are planned to replace the R44s.

On page xxxvix, the R188 order is complete, and the space between "of" and "506" should be removed.

On the same page, the R179s no longer have any option orders. They consist of 260 cars in four car sets, and 40 cars in five car sets. One five car set (#3010–3014) is on MTA property and is testing in the Rockaways.

On page 11, the side platforms at 96th Street are only 5 cars long.

On page 17 and/or 18, I think that you should at least make note of the existence of a fifth track at Spring Street.

On page 25, perhaps a mention of the trackway at Classon Avenue?

On page 42, you should mention the Bay Ridge Bridge trackways, and the provisions for two more additional tracks via Fourth Avenue between 59th Street and 86th Street.

On page 45, the provision at 29th Street on the 63rd Street Line was originally for the proposed Queens Bypass Line. Originally, as part of East Side Access, the T1A and T2A tracks would be extended to a new yard in Sunnyside Yards.

On page 49–50, the provisions at Woodhaven Boulevard were there to possibly convert it to an express station. The tracks would go on the outside of the station, and the platforms would have become island platforms, going over the existing local trackways. The bellmouths at Rego Park are from the IND Second System, and their purpose was to connect to the Long Island Rail Road's Rockaway Beach Branch. Signs for this exist. http://subwaynut.com/ind/65r/65r9.jpg

On page 53, concerning Jamaica Center, the D1A and D2A tracks were proposed to extend onto the LIRR's Atlantic Branch to Springfield Gardens. I have a map from the construction of the line showing that the tracks end at South Road.Provision for Southeast Queens Extension of the IND Archer Avenue Line and an additional provision for the BMT Archer Avenue Line by spicker613, on FlickrAdditional Detail of the provision for a Southeast Queens extension of the IND Archer Avenue Line by spicker613, on Flickr

This is what I have for now.

OK, awesome, and I assume you emailed me much of this earlier. Corrections all noted and done, with a few exceptions. If you're not already a proofreader, I would suggest you consider it as a career choice!

First big question: you said SAS Phase II has funding. Can you get me a link for this? I heard mention of it but can't find anything concrete. Anything about shovels-in-the-ground date, projected completion, etc?

I'm hesitant to get into the what-iffs and provisions-for game. A couple make sense to include since they were fairly major and I will try to tackle those this week, but for the most part, the thrust of my work is on what's there now, rather than what was there 60 years ago or more. If a change was made during the lifespan of the book (about 20 years) I'll probably leave a mention in, as well as some other historical stuff that was put in originally in 1995 to fill empty page space.

Putting on my editor/publisher's hat for a minute, it's easy to write up text. It's an entirely different matter to get it to fit a rigid layout, which is the case here. Things like the tower and chaining sections, for example, one small change might re-flow the entire book. For "other unbuilt parts of the IND" on old page ix (now page xi in 2017), I have exactly one column and no more. Whatever fits in there is all I can say. Adding another paragraph would re-flow the next 40-odd pages. Since this is more "interesting historical tidbit" than "critical information" I'm not prepared to expand the book by two more pages, which is really what this would require to keep everything else in its proper place. Some changes are very easy to make. Others, adding a single line will generate a week or two of work, and I have to weigh the importance of those additions to the overall project.

So basically it comes down to this. Gimme whatever you can, and I'll do my absolute best to make it fit if it's relevant to the current state of the system or a future project. I should probably shake things up a bit in the intro, but three weeks before it goes to press ain't the time to do it, and I think what I have works pretty well. Also, if you can think of anything else that might be a good read for J. Random Railfan in Arizona or Australia (again, relevant to current operations), I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

Archived