Tracks of the NYC Subway: Request for info/changes

Peter Dougherty

Hi all,

Hope everyone's had a good 2015 so far.

I'm in the process of putting together all the changes for the 2016 edition of Tracks of the NYC Subway and I'm asking the assembled braintrust here for any changes you've noticed or have heard about that affect tracks, signaling or other significant operational changes.

Obviously for this year I'm focusing on the Hudson Yards station opening and the CBTC resignaling of the (7)<7>, but like always, I'm after any details on other projects that are covered in my book. Here's some of what I'm interested in updating:

• Any new towers or tower changes.
  • I understand Times Square tower (7) is now gone and replaced by a maintainers' panel, and control has now shifted to 34th St., which sees 34th to Hunter's Point. Is that correct?
  • A few years ago I heard a new tower was being constructed for the 4th Ave. Interlocking in Brooklyn, but that was the least I'd heard. Any updates? Or is this now just controlled out of Church Ave?
  • Any other towers removed from service, master tower control limits changed, yard towers, etc.
  • Any known progress on Cortlandt St. (1) or the stub station downstairs at S.F.? Last I heard was 2018 for Cortlandt and *maybe* 2017 for SF.
  • Any track changes, additions, removals, etc.
  • Any homeball changes at existing interlockings
  • Will the new narrow-band radio change still use the same frequencies or will those all change too?
  • Any more station name changes?
  • This one's is a biggie: I'm still after single-line drawings for South Ferry and East 180th St. My drawings are based on hand sketches only and I'd really like to update these more accurately, if possible.

As has always been the case, full credit will be given upon request for major updates, and a free book for the next 3 years for anybody who can locate single line drawings for the CBTC conversions and any major track/signal work within the last few years.

Any assistance is greatly appreciate. Please either reply here on this forum or by email to me directly at NYC Trackbook.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
front_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for mid-December delivery.

Well the middle track at Essex st is disconnected from the downtown track and only connected to the Jamaica bound tracks. Also, between Bowery and Essex st, the former downtown express track and the former uptown local track are connected. The connection goes from the downtown express track to the uptown local track, not from the uptown local track to the downtown express track.

I also believe the uptown express track is demolished, at least between Bowery and Essex st.

I'm not sure if this is relevent, but the signaling system on the Dyre Ave branch (5) line is being modernize with new fixed block wayside signal system along with two interlockings being enabled for (ATS) Automatic Train Supervision. The Dyre ave line was the last remaining track segment with older IRT signals and a new buliding structure that would probably house the new signal equipment is in the process of or has been bulit between Morris Park station & East 180th St I believe.

I'm not sure if this is relevent, but the signaling system on the Dyre Ave branch (5) line is being modernize with new fixed block wayside signal system along with two interlockings being enabled for (ATS) Automatic Train Supervision. The Dyre ave line was the last remaining track segment with older IRT signals and a new buliding structure that would probably house the new signal equipment is in the process of or has been bulit between Morris Park station & East 180th St I believe.

Yup, I have this one, and thanks! According to what I read it should be complete by July 2017.

Well the middle track at Essex st is disconnected from the downtown track and only connected to the Jamaica bound tracks. Also, between Bowery and Essex st, the former downtown express track and the former uptown local track are connected. The connection goes from the downtown express track to the uptown local track, not from the uptown local track to the downtown express track.

I also believe the uptown express track is demolished, at least between Bowery and Essex st.

Thanks for this. I'll check it out on Wednesday and make the appropriate corretions in the 2016 edition. In the 2015 edition I do show the former Jamaica-bound express (J3 Track) as being removed from the crossover between the new Jamaica-bound track and disused J1 track.

What I'm not sure about is what you described as the crossover highlighted in your quote, above. Using track numbers, I have a facing-point movement between J4 and J1 track, protected by signal X-154 (I don't think it's signaled for reverse moves but I could be wrong). Is this not correct?

Yup, I have this one, and thanks! According to what I read it should be complete by July 2017.

Thanks for this. I'll check it out on Wednesday and make the appropriate corretions in the 2016 edition. In the 2015 edition I do show the former Jamaica-bound express (J3 Track) as being removed from the crossover between the new Jamaica-bound track and disused J1 track.

What I'm not sure about is what you described as the crossover highlighted in your quote, above. Using track numbers, I have a facing-point movement between J4 and J1 track, protected by signal X-154 (I don't think it's signaled for reverse moves but I could be wrong). Is this not correct?

Hmmm... maybe. Just ignore the bolded part. Need to double check on the tracks I saw. I'll email you if otherwise.

As for the Jamaica part, its still the same layout as in the last edition I brought (2013 lol). The Essex St tracks to the Williamsburg Bridge approach has J3/4 connecting to J2 only with the connection to J1 being cut. Should be back to normal by December (so they say).

For the most part, other than the Hudson Yards extension, its generally the same layout

As for the Jamaica part, its still the same layout as in the last edition I brought (2013 lol). The Essex St tracks to the Williamsburg Bridge approach has J3/4 connecting to J2 only with the connection to J1 being cut. Should be back to normal by December (so they say).

Wait, are you sure? J1 east (railroad-south) of Essex is the Jamaica-bound track and J2 is the Manhattan-bound track. J3-4 is the Jamaica-bound track from Bowery. How could that track not connect to J1 and still be in service? J1, before Essex St., is the disused old southbound track that would now bypass Canal and Bowery if used today. Or do Jamaica-bound trains on J4 cross over to J1 just before Essex and come in against the wall rather than the middle?

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for early-December delivery.

Wait, are you sure? J1 east (railroad-south) of Essex is the Jamaica-bound track and J2 is the Manhattan-bound track. J3-4 is the Jamaica-bound track from Bowery. How could that track not connect to J1 and still be in service? J1, before Essex St., is the disused old southbound track that would now bypass Canal and Bowery if used today. Or do Jamaica-bound trains on J4 cross over to J1 just before Essex and come in against the wall rather than the middle

I believe (Haven't waited for a (J) at Essex since the (M) was extended) on weekends the (J) comes against the wall using that one switch (where there is that short burst of sunlight)before Essex (sorry I don't know the signal numbers-that's why I am going to get the book)

On weekdays it stays on the Middle track (J3/4 I believe...) and the (M) is on the wall track.

The switch that's out @Essex is the one right after you come off the Willy B (just before the track swings to the right) that brings the train onto that middle track.

Also,haven't been to Chambers in a while,saw on YT that the (M) doesn't use the stub south of there anymore...Is that OOS?

I believe (Haven't waited for a (J) at Essex since the (M) was extended) on weekends the (J) comes against the wall using that one switch (where there is that short burst of sunlight)before Essex (sorry I don't know the signal numbers-that's why I am going to get the book)

On weekdays it stays on the Middle track (J3/4 I believe...) and the (M) is on the wall track.

The switch that's out @Essex is the one right after you come off the Willy B (just before the track swings to the right) that brings the train onto that middle track.

Also,haven't been to Chambers in a while,saw on YT that the (M) doesn't use the stub south of there anymore...Is that OOS?

(J) Goes to Broad Street 24/7 now so they now have the (M) relay

OK, so I just got back from there a couple of hours ago. J3 is abandoned, partially ripped out in places and partially intact in others, but not connected to anything. J4 does indeed have a facing point crossover to J1 so a Jamaica-bound movement can platform on either side of the island. There's a hard rail connection on J2, so Manhattan-bound movements aren't able to crossover to J4. I would be very interested to know if that's going back in service and when it does. If someone could please drop me an email when that occurs I'd be most appreciative.nyctrackbook@gmail.com

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
front_cover.jpg

Where on the (7) extension is that?The tail Tracks?

Will be getting the book for the first time around Christmas...

Yes, that's a layup south of the station, with the camera sitting on the platform, pointing into the tunnel. That great picture was shot by Anthony Maimone a few months back after the station opened. I was just down there today and verified the location myself.

I look forward to your order, and thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

Hi all,

Hope everyone's had a good 2015 so far.

I'm in the process of putting together all the changes for the 2016 edition of Tracks of the NYC Subway and I'm asking the assembled braintrust here for any changes you've noticed or have heard about that affect tracks, signaling or other significant operational changes.

Obviously for this year I'm focusing on the Hudson Yards station opening and the CBTC resignaling of the (7)<7>, but like always, I'm after any details on other projects that are covered in my book. Here's some of what I'm interested in updating:

• Any new towers or tower changes.
  • I understand Times Square tower (7) is now gone and replaced by a maintainers' panel, and control has now shifted to 34th St., which sees 34th to Hunter's Point. Is that correct?
  • A few years ago I heard a new tower was being constructed for the 4th Ave. Interlocking in Brooklyn, but that was the least I'd heard. Any updates? Or is this now just controlled out of Church Ave?
  • Any other towers removed from service, master tower control limits changed, yard towers, etc.

Correct on 34th/TSQ Tower.

4th Ave interlocking in Brooklyn is part of the new Church Master Tower, which also controls 18th Ave, Ditmas, Church Yard and station. It's eventually going to take over Kings Highway tower as well.

Rockefeller Center tower is open again, only manned during GOs.

World Trade tower is only manned on midnights and GOs now. At other times "what you punch is what you get" is in effect in that area.

Also tk 10 in Concourse Yard is finally back in service. One of the leads (5 I think?) is still out at 207 yard. And if your book doesn't already mention it, the Broad St section of the Montague tube is still out of service.

Have you added a section in your book about the I-SIM project being installed on the Concourse Line? It's WAY too detailed to go into detail about here, but it's something you might want to look into....

4th Ave interlocking in Brooklyn is part of the new Church Master Tower, which also controls 18th Ave, Ditmas, Church Yard and station. It's eventually going to take over Kings Highway tower as well.

World Trade tower is only manned on midnights and GOs now. At other times "what you punch is what you get" is in effect in that area.

Also tk 10 in Concourse Yard is finally back in service. One of the leads (5 I think?) is still out at 207 yard. And if your book doesn't already mention it, the Broad St section of the Montague tube is still out of service.

Have you added a section in your book about the I-SIM project being installed on the Concourse Line? It's WAY too detailed to go into detail about here, but it's something you might want to look into....

what do you mean about I-SIM? If you could talk about it that would be great. 

If I'm reading this correctly, it's ISIM-B, essentially the B-division countdown clocks, or at least train arrival information. I have something in the intro about this coming to the West End, Sea Beach and Concourse lines, between 2016 and 2018. This from the latest capital plan oversight committee meeting in October.

OK, a couple of followups here. With 4th Avenue being controlled by Church Avenue, is the 4th Avenue tower now gone or is it there but normally-closed or replaced with a maintainer's panel, etc?

World Trade: if the master is closed, what is the controlling authority (for lack of a better word) during the day. Say an (E) motorman makes a bad punch or has some other issue, who would he/she contact at that point or who would make command inputs to control a switch or signal if the tower is left on automatic?

Broad Street cut: My understanding is that it's fine and everything's working, just not in revenue service, much as BJ-1 and BJ-2 were for decades, before the (M) got re-routed up 6th Av.

I did put in a small mention on the B-division countdown clocks system coming to the Concourse, Sea Beach and West End lines in the next 3 years.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

In short, ISIM-B is yet another version of ATS, CBTC, etc that allows real time tracking of trains. It's working on the Concourse line (sort of) and also being installed on the West End and Sea Beach (and eventually the Brighton). Anyone with the right computer access can log in and see where any train on the line is in real time, complete with their call letters.

4th Ave tower itself is only a satellite tower now, and is not being manned. It can take over 4th ave locally if being manned (actually I'm not completely sure if that's still true based on its current condition) but is normally being controlled from Church at this time.

World Trade has a dispatcher 24/7. However the tower is left on AUTOMATIC mode when the tower operator is not there. Trains can repunch if they make a bad punch, but once they start moving, they have to go with the line up they punched for. In the event of a service disruption during the day, RCC or the World Trade dispatcher has to instruct the crews via the radio to punch for something different.

Broad St - last I knew, the post-hurricane work still hasn't been performed on that section of the tube, and NO TRAINS (not even work trains) are to run through that area. It's been a couple months since I've worked in that area, but that was the case the last time I was down there, and has been ever since the tube was originally closed.

In short, ISIM-B is yet another version of ATS, CBTC, etc that allows real time tracking of trains. It's working on the Concourse line (sort of) and also being installed on the West End and Sea Beach (and eventually the Brighton). Anyone with the right computer access can log in and see where any train on the line is in real time, complete with their call letters.

4th Ave tower itself is only a satellite tower now, and is not being manned. It can take over 4th ave locally if being manned (actually I'm not completely sure if that's still true based on its current condition) but is normally being controlled from Church at this time.

World Trade has a dispatcher 24/7. However the tower is left on AUTOMATIC mode when the tower operator is not there. Trains can repunch if they make a bad punch, but once they start moving, they have to go with the line up they punched for. In the event of a service disruption during the day, RCC or the World Trade dispatcher has to instruct the crews via the radio to punch for something different.

Broad St - last I knew, the post-hurricane work still hasn't been performed on that section of the tube, and NO TRAINS (not even work trains) are to run through that area. It's been a couple months since I've worked in that area, but that was the case the last time I was down there, and has been ever since the tube was originally closed.

OK, good to know and I'll update it the Broad St. notes accordingly. I hadn't heard of it actually being considered out-of-service, just presently unused.

As always, my thanks and anything you hear about please don't hesitate to drop me an email.

Archived