Tracks of the NYC Subway: Request for info/changes

Peter Dougherty

Does the book include the Second AV Subway connections?

I was wondering that too...

Yes, and it has for the last few years -- at least as far as the connection to Phase-I. Anything beyond that will probably never be built in our lifetimes so I wouldn't be overly worried about accuracy for Phase-III or IV trackage. If it is ever built everybody will be using flying cars to get around the city in all probability.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for early-December delivery.

Correct on 34th/TSQ Tower.

4th Ave interlocking in Brooklyn is part of the new Church Master Tower, which also controls 18th Ave, Ditmas, Church Yard and station. It's eventually going to take over Kings Highway tower as well.

Rockefeller Center tower is open again, only manned during GOs.

World Trade tower is only manned on midnights and GOs now. At other times "what you punch is what you get" is in effect in that area.

Also tk 10 in Concourse Yard is finally back in service. One of the leads (5 I think?) is still out at 207 yard. And if your book doesn't already mention it, the Broad St section of the Montague tube is still out of service.

Have you added a section in your book about the I-SIM project being installed on the Concourse Line? It's WAY too detailed to go into detail about here, but it's something you might want to look into....

5 lead is back in service at 207Y as of a few weeks ago.

Broad St., yes R1 and R2 still OOS. Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Manhattan bridge tail tracks on the Nassau St. line are also OOS, have been for a while now.

J1 and J2 have been OOS for a while but I don't know the reason or when it took effect. I also don't know if their removal is permanent or not.

Manhattan Bridge tail tracks are OOS.

J1 and J2 (the two "northbound" tracks towards the Willy B) are still "active" and used for ENY storage during snowstorms AFAIK (Its been awhile)

Actually in that location it's where the track #s change. J1 and J3 are out of service north of Chambers. Trains coming from Broad enter Chambers on R2 and must cross to J4 (double diverge) north of the station. Trains coming out of the relay (R4) also cross to J4. Trains coming from Canal/Bowery come in on J2, and it becomes R1.

J1 and J3 are the ones OOS. J2 and J4 are used for service.

Wait I'm confused, what exactly did they store on those tail tracks?

And if the MTA decided to leave those tracks in service to improve TPH in Manhattan, we could have some (J) and (Z) trains terminating at Canal St during rush hours, or extend the (M) to Bowery and have it terminate there.

Actually in that location it's where the track #s change. J1 and J3 are out of service north of Chambers. Trains coming from Broad enter Chambers on R2 and must cross to J4 (double diverge) north of the station. Trains coming out of the relay (R4) also cross to J4. Trains coming from Canal/Bowery come in on J2, and it becomes R1.

J1 and J3 are the ones OOS. J2 and J4 are used for service.

Ah thank you!

The track #s over there confuse me...

Wait I'm confused, what exactly did they store on those tail tracks?

And if the MTA decided to leave those tracks in service to improve TPH in Manhattan, we could have some (J) and (Z) trains terminating at Canal St during rush hours, or extend the (M) to Bowery and have it terminate there.

They used to store (M) trains there way pre-2010 back when it was still all R42.You could see them from the Brooklyn bound (N) if you looked in the right spot...

Just to be clear, you're refering to J1 tail track south (compass north) of Chambers; the one that used to go to the south side of the bridge in the old Nassau St. Loop days. J1 is also the track that used to be the Archer-bound track that today passes through the abandoned half of Canal St. and Bowery. Same with J3 - one part of J3 was the Chambers-bound track from the Manny-B south side pre-1967, and that's the one currently OOS. The other was a rarely-used "express" that passed through Canal and Bowery. That has been fully abandoned and partially ripped up.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg

So at Canal St on the (J) / (Z) platforms, tracks J3 and J4 were removed and all that's left is track bed?

J1 ("local" track to Queens) is still there

J3 ("express" track to Queens) was ripped out

J4 ("express" track to Chambers/Broad) is now the new track to Queens

J2 is still the local track to Chambers/Broad)

J3 & J4 used to end at a bumper block at Canal and the ends of the platforms used to connect with each other (like Flatbush Av). Then they reconfigured it so that all trains use the Chambers/Broad island platforms, which left the Jamaica platforms abandoned. The original track to Jamaica is still there for train storage and occasional reroutes through the area.

Just to be clear, you're refering to J1 tail track south (compass north) of Chambers; the one that used to go to the south side of the bridge in the old Nassau St. Loop days. J1 is also the track that used to be the Archer-bound track that today passes through the abandoned half of Canal St. and Bowery. Same with J3 - one part of J3 was the Chambers-bound track from the Manny-B south side pre-1967, and that's the one currently OOS. The other was a rarely-used "express" that passed through Canal and Bowery. That has been fully abandoned and partially ripped up.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

Just referring to the Manhattan Bridge tail track J1 and J3 re: out of service. Let's keep it simple, hence why I simply said tail tracks in my original post to avoid confusion before the buffs came in with questions and mixed up track numbers that needed clarification.

So, simply, J1 and J3 railroad south (physically north) of Chambers - tail tracks to bridge, out of service currently.

The "other" J1 on the closed half of Bowery/Canal is still there and occasionally used.

I was down there again today and yes, I can confirm that the tie bumpers are still there on the tail tracks, that the hard-rail is definitely in place on J2 approaching Essex and they actually left the broken switch point clearly visible right beside where it broke. I went down to Broad St. and I was expecting tie bumpers there too but that wasn't the case. The switches didn't appear to be clamped to the diverging route either, so I'm not 100% convinced that the track is still out of service. The rails showed no signs of use long-term, though. Does anybody have a copy of a G.O. for the Nassau St. Cut?

I was also up on the Dyre line today and there's been a significant track reconfiguration south of Morris Park. I don't know if it's permanent but it's different than it was before. Also Y4 at the north end, south of Dyre, was physically ripped out and there appear to be equipment cabinets along the old Y4 ROW. Y3 runs the full distance but is currently OOS. Ditto the south end of Y4, which goes to the portal.

Those are the major changes that will be reflected in the 2016 edition, unless someone has something else to add. My deadline is Sunday, Nov. 22nd for the first draft then maybe 2 or 3 days after that for revisions that will get into the first printing. I'm TRYING to get the book off to the printers over Thanksgiving for distribution the first week of December if at all possible.

I'd like to personaly thank everybody here who's contributed material or clarification.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Please either reply here on this forum or by email to me directly at nyctrackbook@gmail.com

If you ride the (R) going towards Manhattan, just before approaching Whitehall St, you will see a bumper with flashing lights on the tracks that lead to the Nassau Line.

Apologies for the stupid question, is there still a track connection between the Nassau line and Montague? I know it's OOS, but is the interlocking and such still physically there?

Apologies for the stupid question, is there still a track connection between the Nassau line and Montague? I know it's OOS, but is the interlocking and such still physically there?

The track is indeed there, it's just blocked by a small barrier, or tie bumper (whatever the proper term is).

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to remove it since the tunnels themselves aren't going anywhere. It's operational flexibility when it's open, even if it's not in revenue service, much as BJ-1/2 were for decades. I guess it's more a question of priorities and cost at this point; why spend millions to fix up a tunnel that isn't really needed at the momen when there are other, more pressing priorities like South Ferry, the SAS and the East Side Access project to worry about. They'll probably get to it eventually.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg

That makes sense.

Still like the idea of doing the work at some point on Montauge to Nassau for a new, full-time (Z) train that I noted in the proposals/ideas thread.

As for the Manhattan Bridge, as said before, I would reconnect that to the Nassau line (but Brooklyn-bound ONLY) so that you could eventually revive the old Nassau Loop that would have a single terminal (with such trains only stopping northbound at Jay-Metrotech, Court, Broad, Fulton and Chambers, running via the tunnel to Manhattan and the Bridge back to Brooklyn).  

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to remove it since the tunnels themselves aren't going anywhere. It's operational flexibility when it's open, even if it's not in revenue service, much as BJ-1/2 were for decades. I guess it's more a question of priorities and cost at this point; why spend millions to fix up a tunnel that isn't really needed at the momen when there are other, more pressing priorities like South Ferry, the SAS and the East Side Access project to worry about. They'll probably get to it eventually.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

The tracks were removed like Snowblock said. You can't see the bumper from the station which was why you didn't see it

Archived