R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

I mean aren't they trying to get rid of them ASAP? If the delivery schedule is supposed to be 20 cars per month and they get 10 before November, then they could get them all on property by the end of January? 

The 20 cars a month delivery schedule only applies to the R211As. The R211S delivery schedule is separate from the R211As, something like what @AZthefoamer mentioned in the post directly above yours.

1 hour ago, slantfan4281 said:

I mean aren't they trying to get rid of them ASAP? If the delivery schedule is supposed to be 20 cars per month and they get 10 before November, then they could get them all on property by the end of January? 

they still need to go through testing on SIR trackage among other things

13 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Now we wait for Clifton to learn how to maintain them, then they’ll be in service, right? Or do they have to go through the 30 day testing like the R211As did

The 30-day test may start beginning of November or the middle of October. The movement of the SIR R211s take place overnight to avoid traffic. Moving them during the day as they are hooked onto a flatbed with a truck isn't recommended at all. That's due to them re-coupling the full 5-car at Clifton Yard before the test at its own Staten Island Railway. 

I just realized, the Staten Island R211s will be testing on SIR during wet leaf season, none of the tech train car classes prior to the R211 likes rain/snow/wet leaves on rails so I wonder how the R211s will handle slip n slide on the wet leafs on the rails.

The SI R44s stayed having flat wheels due to leaf season in the fall and early winter. I wonder how the R211s will handle those conditions.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I just realized, the Staten Island R211s will be testing on SIR during wet leaf season, none of the tech train car classes prior to the R211 likes rain/snow/wet leaves on rails so I wonder how the R211s will handle slip n slide on the wet leafs on the rails.

The SI R44s stayed having flat wheels due to leaf season in the fall and early winter. I wonder how the R211s will handle those conditions.

Part of making the R211s adhere to FRA regulations must have been throwing a fan onto the bogey lol 

15 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Trains in general don’t like having to deal with leaves, the NTTs are not special in that regard.

additionally, until the new shop at Clifton opened, SIRTOA didn’t have a wheel truing machine. That required a trip to CIY. Hence why the flat wheels lasted so long. Now that work can be done in-house.