R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

23 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

When they say something is suspended especially early on during that point, it means whatever trains that are not running around in service. Any trains that completed their journey will not be sent back out to run another journey. As for any other trains that remain running around that still have yet to get to a terminal to discharge all passengers or the train is forced to discharge due to some unforeseen circumstances will continue until they reach a destination whether it's to their original terminal or detoured elsewhere.

This doesn't necessarily relate even indirectly to this thread so I'll make it relevant, even if the MTA decided to run the (B) in service during weekends, they don't really have anywhere they can go outside of Manhattan all together. You could say they can run between 145 St and LES-2 Av, but even that creates a bit of an annoyance especially when construction occurs forcing lines to share with other forcing said lines to decrease in tph to compensate. The R211's are coming in now and from what Metro CSW has mentioned, Kawasaki has gotten to the 4400's which is already almost the entire base order. Option 1 is also purchased and if I'm not mistaken option 2 has also been confirmed which we just don't know whether they're gonna be close-ended or open-gangways. Option 2 is essentially meant to expand the fleet, hopefully that means the (C) can expand so they won't have to worry too much about borrowing from other lines.

option 2 has been confirmed? since when

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

6th Avenue is getting CBTC

yeah, but by that time we'll be talking about the delivery of the R268s.

And I will also remind everyone that the possibility exists the Delta gets R160s moved out of Jamaica to make room for the QBL to get R211s.

the simple answer is "We don't have an answer yet" and arguing over speculation gets us nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

yeah, but by that time we'll be talking about the delivery of the R268s.

And I will also remind everyone that the possibility exists the Delta gets R160s moved out of Jamaica to make room for the QBL to get R211s.

the simple answer is "We don't have an answer yet" and arguing over speculation gets us nowhere. 

I dont see them doing double the work just to give jamaica r211s, but I wouldnt mind having 160s on the B and D

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 5:17 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That's 30 NTTs for the "A" train. 

Don't be surprised if within a couple of weeks from now, the "A" train will only use the r46's during rush hour and by the summer time, the "A" train will most likely be fully NTTs.

On 5/9/2024 at 1:14 AM, JayJay85 said:

Yea, That this rate (A) will be fully NTT by middle of the summer, and R46's will only be on the (C) for awhile, after that R179's will start coming off both the (A)(C) lines, even through I want the R179 to stay on (A)(C) , TA should worry about the R179's on (A)(C) last.

That's a little bit unrealistic. The (A) currently has 17 R211As that have entered service, and we know they're not all used each day. There's also another ~3 trainsets that are here in the system but haven't entered service yet. I would conservatively guess that only around 13-14 are currently actually out there each day, but again, just a guess on my part. Could be more. The (A) is assigned 40 trains each PM rush, including 10 R179s (not including spares), so we know the (A) will need ~30 R211As each PM Rush (again, not including spares). Including spares, I would guess what, 35-36 trainsets?* Which would be another 15-16 trainsets we'll need delivered? Assuming Kawasaki delivers 30 R211As each month, and it takes the MTA 3 weeks to 1 month to push trainsets into service, I would guess what, another ~6 months before the R46s are gone from the (A) (During rush hour anyway - maybe sooner during off-peak hours). Though with the R211S (hopefully) also being delivered over the next few months, I've no idea how much capacity for deliveries there is and if that might take away from the R211A deliveries. If the pace of R211A deliveries slows down for any other reason, that would also push back the date for the (A) to be R46-free.

* - If there's 35-36 R211A trainsets on the (A), that would leave 8 or 9 from the base order for the (C)(H), which seems about right. 

On 5/10/2024 at 12:52 AM, Around the Horn said:

I've noticed that for whatever reason they love to run them in clumps of four or five of them back to back

Maybe, though with the Rockaways branches being so much longer than the Lefferts branch, I would assume that even if cars started service on each branch evenly throughout the morning, you'd still see clumping at different points during the day (even if temporarily)

3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

option 2 has been confirmed? since when

All but confirmed. In 2019, the MTA awarded a contact to Thales to manufacture CBTC equipment for Kawasaki to install on the R211s and in October 2023, the agency exercised an option in their contract that would cover the option 2 cars. And the option 2 order itself was one of the projects in this year's request for federal funding. (If you're wondering why the MTA exercised the option for additional CBTC equipment before ordering the actual cars, the presentation states that this option in the contract with Thales was going to expire in November of last year, so the agency exercised the option right before it expired rather than go through the trouble of bidding and awarding a new contract, which also saved money).

Edited by Mysterious2train

Also forgot to mention that next month's board and committee meetings include the annual update on rolling stock, so I suppose the MTA will announce their plans to order the option 2 cars (And possibly if they will be R211As or R211Ts, though as I understand it, the contract allows the MTA to order the options without immediately committing to the layout, or at least this was the case for the option 1 cars).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, r40s 4501 said:

Option two was never confirmed only option one

Again, the agency is already in the process of requesting the federal funding to buy the option 2 cars this year.

FcbEfmo.png

And the agency already ordered the CBTC equipment for the option 2 cars. If you read the link from last October's board meeting (emphasis mine):

Contract S-48013-2 (the “Contract”) provides for communication-based train control (“CBTC”) equipment for New York City Transit’s R211 subway cars that will operate on the 8th Avenue Line. MTA Construction & Development (“C&D”) requests Board approval to exercise the second option of the Contract – for additional R211 CBTC equipment in the amount of $10,123,326 (“Option 2”). The Contract was awarded to Thales Transport and Security, Inc. (“Thales”) in March 2019, and ratified by the Board in October 2019, following a declaration of an Immediate Operating Need by the New York City Transit (“NYCT”) Vice President, Materiel. Thales has since been acquired by Ground Transportation Systems USA, Inc. but continues to do business as Thales. The Contract requires Thales to furnish and deliver carborne CBTC equipment to the car manufacturer Kawasaki to outfit 92 (five-car) R211 operating units. (The 440 R211As + 20 R211Ts in the base order) The Contract includes two options to outfit additional units. Option 1 was exercised with Board approval in March 2022 to acquire CBTC equipment for an additional 128 R211 units. (The 640 option 1 cars) This Option 2 will require Thales to furnish and deliver carborne CBTC equipment for an additional 89 R211 units for $10,123,326. (The 437 option 2 cars) The purchase of the railcars contemplated in Option 1 was approved by the Board in November 2022. NYCT now plans to purchase the quantity of railcars contemplated in Option 2. The exercise of this Option 2 is required to provide the necessary CBTC equipment for the additional cars to be acquired by NYCT.

And as of last night, 4265-69 are also at PIT. Guess there's no eyes on SBK anymore.

Also FYI, the delivery date of 4250 was May 13th if anyone wants to track it. 4255-59 should follow in a matter of days.

Posted (edited)

Yes, R211Ts 4040-4049 were seen at Concourse Yard recently while on vacation from the (C)

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fr211-location-v0-fnus6gau9o0d1.jpeg%3Fwidth%3D4032%26format%3Dpjpg%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3D961a45fd1d7cae256e528941d2263055776f1c4c

Not my picture - was posted on Reddit last week. 

On 5/21/2024 at 4:48 PM, Metro CSW said:

And as of last night, 4265-69 are also at PIT. Guess there's no eyes on SBK anymore.

Also FYI, the delivery date of 4250 was May 13th if anyone wants to track it. 4255-59 should follow in a matter of days.

Late on this one, but 4265-69s date is (I'm assuming) May 18th, correct?

6 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

IIRC the only thing about Option 2 that hasn’t been confirmed is whether or not they will be R-211A’s or R-211T’s. With that in mind, how much longer would the R-211T’s have to be running before the (MTA) can decide on a Verdict?

I dont want to call it yet, but im fairly confident we'd be getting 211As. Lots of animosity internally towards the gangway sets

11 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I dont want to call it yet, but im fairly confident we'd be getting 211As. Lots of animosity internally towards the gangway sets

Oh so i guess gangways are not the wave of the future?! 

12 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Lots of animosity internally towards the gangway sets

Honestly, there is a lot of internal animosity to the very idea of people like me working here...

internal animosity doesn’t carry much weight and 2 Broadway doesn’t care what the crew room lawyers want or think. If they decide in favor of the gangways, we’re getting gangways.