NYC pols urge MTA to audit 'completely unpredictable' R train after riders’ complaints...

Mysterious2train

It doesn't matter if it's coming, going or a bi-directional line. It's still a merging disaster. But since you insist, let me explain clearly why your (Z) would be one. (By the way, what happens to the Jamaica skip-stop? You've once again given that designation to another one of your other routes.)

1) From Chambers St, your line has to connect to Manhattan Bridge track H1, the Brooklyn-bound Broadway tracks. You're merging in front of the (N) and (Q) trains right from the jump.

2) From the Bridge, it has to merge onto track A3 in order to stop at DeKalb Av and run local along 4th Avenue. You've just crossed in front of the (B) with that merge.

3) Leaving DeKalb Av, your train has to switch over to B1 via F1 to get to the local tracks on 4th Avenue, which will get in front of the (R).

On a good day, that would be a logistical nightmare. On a normal day when trains have to practically crawl into DeKalb Av, it would be almost impossible to run. Your trains would cause more delays than there already are. And for what? To revive the Centre St loop? Loop service was practically dead when the Montague-Centre connection opened in '31. It's a decomposed corpse now. If the object of this is to run the Nassau (R), run the Nassau (R). Stop trying to rearrange the system to fit routes nobody wants.

Okay. That was also why I had the earlier idea of the (Z) upthread that would be designed to meet (J) trains at Chambers in both directions, crossing over when there is no traffic since the (J) would use the center tracks in that scenario to terminate while the (Z) would come in on the "wall" tracks (except for a handful of (J) trains at peak hours that would NOT meet the (Z) that would in this scenario max out at 8 TPH as those (J) trains would terminate at Broad).  

Perhaps late nights and weekends when there is less traffic from the (N) and (Q) (and no (B) service) the (Z) could operate via the loop as noted if it is reconnected to the Manny B, something I'd do anyway for emergency re-routes.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, what does this solve that can't be done by running a line simply from Chambers St to <insert South Brooklyn terminal here>? It's not as though the Centre St line is bursting at the seams with service. To me, all it looks like is yet another half-baked idea to run a service that people don't want or need.

Perhaps late nights and weekends when there is less traffic from the (N) and (Q) (and no (B) service) the (Z) could operate via the loop as noted if it is reconnected to the Manny B, something I'd do anyway for emergency re-routes.

Considering one can only get from Nassau > Bridge from the south, what possible logical reroute could occur from reconnecting Nassau Street to the loop?

If there is a problem with the Williamsburg Bridge you just wouldn't be able to get (J) service into Manhattan period. There are more than enough alternate lines to cover service, and you can also run trains Essex - 9th Avenue or Essex - Prospect Park as shuttle service.

Just seems like a waste of money, even to make the connection northbound only.

Well what about going down the Sea Beach Line? I know about the massive rebuilding project with that line, but how about ending it at Kings Highway?

Given the frustrating crawl from 7 Avenue to Church Avenue on the (F) when there is a (G) in front, I would not want a (W) terminating at Kings Highway on another line that I use far more often.

I don't know why you guys keep thinking they're gonna extend a line down 4th ave, with the (L) shutdown looming in 3 years, any extra equipment will be on the (A)(C)(G)(J)(M) and (Z) so that would ruleout any thing going to south brooklyn until this (L) train project is finished

Even without the (L) shutdown, there simply aren't enough cars for that kind of expansion right now. I can see something happening after the R211 order starts coming in.

Which makes sense.  The combination of the (L) shutdown and cars going to other lines likely puts the kabosh on any of that for now unless they want to do some extension to the terminal closest to Atlantic-Barclays (most likely 9th Avenue) for the (W) that can pick up passengers coming from the (G) the other way from Lorimer (via a new OOS transfer between Fulton Street on the (G) and Atlantic-Barclays that I would add) that could even include making the (W) a seven-day-a-week line during the (L) shutdown.  

I don't know why you guys keep thinking they're gonna extend a line down 4th ave, with the (L) shutdown looming in 3 years, any extra equipment will be on the (A)(C)(G)(J)(M) and (Z) so that would ruleout any thing going to south brooklyn until this (L) train project is finished

I think it's only the (J) / (Z) and the (M) that will get their fleets increased a bit with the R179 order.

Archived