NYC pols urge MTA to audit 'completely unpredictable' R train after riders’ complaints...

Mysterious2train

That is simply not true.  What you see in front of your house and what I see as a rider on the X27 are two different things.  You people make me laugh with that nonsense about what you see when it passes your house, which is only one stop.   It can't be carrying air based on the weekend stats from the (MTA).  It does about half of what the X17 does on weekends.  The X17 carried 2,053 riders on weekends and serves a significant portion of Staten Island, and the X27 carried 977 riders on weekends, and only serves Bay Ridge and Fort Hamilton, which is also considered part of Bay Ridge.  That is pretty respectable.

You want to bring up stats, how about this?

Bay Ridge Avenue: 8,967

77th Street: 5,509

86th Street: 13,178

95th Street: 5,837

Each of those stops alone gets over five times what the X27 gets on the weekends. Add them up together and you get 33,491. That's literally over 30 times the ridership of the X27. Clearly, the vast majority of Bay Ridge residents choose to use the (R) train for whatever reason, whether it's closer to them, cheaper for them or whatever the reason may be.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something called a pass at $57.25 a week.  More than reasonable.  A lot of Bay Ridge is upper middle class, so if he is barely scrapping by in Bay Ridge, he probably should've moved to a cheaper neighborhood.   :lol: Considering how poorly the (R) train runs (forget about the headway,s but when the trains actually show up), the X27 and X37 are FAR more frequent during the rush and faster, be it on paper or in reality.  I know because I've used both for years as a former South Brooklyn resident.  

Yeah $57.25 a week. Like I said. Double the cost of the subway. And not everyone commutes during the "rush". It's just not an option for some poeple. 

I know it is, but he would access to all of the forms of transportation in his neighborhood.  Hey listen I purchase a Metro-North pass AND an express bus pass, so I spend far more in transportation than anyone else does.  $57.25 a week is peanuts in comparison.  When the express buses are messed up, I simply get Metro-North.  Anyone who thinks the subway system will improve is sadly mistaken.  Even the (MTA)'s own figures show that.

What a waste. 

For the record, I was one of the people that supported bringing the X27 back on weekends, since I use it and certainly wrote to Senator Golden to fight for it.  It is definitely helpful and much safer and faster than the (R) could ever be.

I'll race you on the R vs the X27 to 28th and bway during any morning rush. I ASSURE you it's impossible for the bus to win. Physical impossibility. Even if the R shows up 10 minutes late. 

Just curious has this person taken into account the numerous GOs that go along Queens Blvd on the Weekends???

I have also notice it's not even addressed here at all...

Folks until these CBTC pre GOs are done its gonna be this way..

Why the politicans cannot grasp this is beyond me..

I really wonder if splitting the line up into two separate services would really help. I'm quite intrigued by the Nassau line idea, using Montegue via Nassau. The problem is, you have to consider most people need to get to Midtown. The folks who stay on the (R) past Atlantic-Barclays aren't going there, however. They're going to Jay St to transfer to the (A)(F) or going direct to Midtown to the Financial District, at least that's what I've seen anecdotally. If a (W) took the Financial District section, a new service from Bay Ridge to Chambers St (for example) or Bay Ridge to City Hall might be envisioned. 

I'll race you on the R vs the X27 to 28th and bway during any morning rush. I ASSURE you it's impossible for the bus to win. Physical impossibility. Even if the R shows up 10 minutes late. 

I could care less.  I'm perfectly happy sitting on the express bus a little longer to have a civilized ride.

Yeah $57.25 a week. Like I said. Double the cost of the subway. And not everyone commutes during the "rush". It's just not an option for some poeple. 

What a waste. 

lol... Well unlike I some people, I value my time and the quality of my ride, so I gladly pay for my Metro-North pass, which means no rats, no homeless people and other quality issues that I'm ensure you put up with on your lovely subway ride.  :D

You want to bring up stats, how about this?

Bay Ridge Avenue: 8,967

77th Street: 5,509

86th Street: 13,178

95th Street: 5,837

Each of those stops alone gets over five times what the X27 gets on the weekends. Add them up together and you get 33,491. That's literally over 30 times the ridership of the X27. Clearly, the vast majority of Bay Ridge residents choose to use the (R) train for whatever reason, whether it's closer to them, cheaper for them or whatever the reason may be.

Who cares?  That has nothing to do with the (R) train running like crap and being unreliable.  If anything those figures would likely be higher if the (R) ran better.  Aside from the (R) the only alternative for some people is driving or going all the way over to the X27 which unless you drive to can be a schlepp to get over to depending on where in Bay Ridge you are.  I know that some people may use the B4 to get over to the X27, but even that isn't a real viable option.  Plenty of people in Bay Ridge drive, especially going towards Shore Road.  

The whole Third Avenue being a dividing line thing is a myth...

(10 years ago it might have been true.I fully expect within 25 years the entire neighborhood will be majority Arab and Southeast Asian with the Shore Road mansion owners moving out of Brooklyn)

There are plenty of people living on and west of Third Avenue who are in the same economic position (can't afford the express bus). This especially common in the apartment buildings north of Bay Ridge Pkwy. Its getting to the point that Shore Road will be the only ridership base for the express bus and most people east of Shore Road pile on the local buses. As it is express bus service only serves a niche ridership base that views local bus and (R) train riders as inferior and refuses to be seen "so low". VG8's experience is correct but only for the "1%" if you will.

Listen, Bay Ridge has a large elderly population and that helps to lower the overall household income of the neighborhood, but there is money there especially along and near Shore Rd.  Any neighborhood that I consider moving to I do my homework on and I have been in Bay Ridge since I was a teen.  Would hang out there all the time with friends who lived there and still go there and most of Bay Ridge remains in tact.  While the Arab and Asian population have grown, they are not taking over Bay Ridge the way they took over Bensonhurst.  The areas along Shore Road are PRIME real estate with great views and have been occupied by the same families for YEARS. If they were going to leave Bay Ridge, they would've done so years ago when Bath Beach, Bensonhurst and the like were left behind for Staten Island, Dyker Heights and yes... Bay Ridge. Parts of Dyker Heights and Bay Ridge are examples of the last good ol' Brooklyn that I grew up with and it will remain that way for at least a good 20 years.  Same deal with areas like Mill Basin and Bergen Beach.  Not only are these areas expensive, but the sales are done off of the market.

No, I don't live west of Third Avenue, the dividing line between the rich Bay Ridge and the less-than-rich Bay Ridge. Those on the west side use the Express Buses and/or walk to the train or drive. Those on the east side have no real options besides the (R) or driving, and if you're relatively poor, driving is not feasible.

Bay Ridge is a relatively large neighborhood, so stop assuming your own experience applies for the whole. $57 a week is double the cost of the subway, not worth it, even if it's slightly faster. 

Well listen when I considered moving along Shore Rd. there was no way in hell I was taking the local bus from 92nd and Shore Rd up to 86th street for the slow (R), so while you are right about the areas along and near Shore Road having money, it just makes more sense to take the express bus over the (R).  The safety issues and other problems that come with the (R) train just drives those people even further to use the express bus over the (R) and I don't blame them.  When the ferry service comes to Bay Ridge, that will be another great option over the (R).

I really wonder if splitting the line up into two separate services would really help. I'm quite intrigued by the Nassau line idea, using Montegue via Nassau. The problem is, you have to consider most people need to get to Midtown. The folks who stay on the R past Atlantic-Barclays aren't going there, however. They're going to Jay St to transfer to the A F or going direct to Midtown to the Financial District, at least that's what I've seen anecdotally. If a W took the Financial District section, a new service from Bay Ridge to Chambers St (for example) or Bay Ridge to City Hall might be envisioned.

That might be something worth considering, although I really think (R) service would improve if it didn't have so many damn merges. Using both the 34th and the Prince switches on weekdays isn't the best way to keep the trains running smoothly, but it seems to be the only to keep two services in Astoria without reinstating the (W), which got the ax in 2010 so the MTA could live within its reduced means. Astoria has the higher ridership, so the (N) and (Q) usually get priority over the (R). I understand that. But between that, barely having just enough cars to run the service we now have (did they really need to scrap all of the non-SIRT R44s or reef so many R32s?) and a systemwide increase in ridership, leaving everything "just the way it is" is not the answer. But what is? Just adding more (R) trains seems like the obvious answer, but those extra trains would just be getting thrown into the same mixer with the rest of the (N), (Q) and (R) trains in Manhattan...not to mention the (M) and the more-than-occasional (E) and (F) trains in Queens. And make the current delays worse because then there would be more trains switching in and out.

I know the Nassau St Line isn't desirable to many riders because it only serves Lower Manhattan while the (R) continues to Midtown, but let's be honest here. How much of a desire is it for most 4th Ave local riders in Bay Ridge and Sunset Park to stay on the (R) to Midtown? As opposed to bailing out at Pacific-Atlantic, DeKalb, Jay or Court for a "faster" ride to Midtown? At least the Nassau line has more transfers and is closer to the Water Street Canyon of Office Towers (except for the (2) and (3)). The (R) only has a free transfer to the (1) and (technically not a transfer) to the SI Ferry at Whitehall-South Ferry. There are transfers at Cortlandt to the lines at Fulton St, but those are not free transfers. Maybe one possibility could be to run the full-time 4th Ave Local service through to the Nassau St Line and run a rush hour or full weekdays-only Broadway Local (like a reinstated (W)) for those who don't want to deal with the transfers and terminate the (R) at Whitehall full time. It's the opposite of how it was done since before the 2010 service cuts, but so is the current service pattern on the Brighton Line, which consists of the 24/7 Broadway (Q) as the main service and the weekdays-only 6th Ave (B) as the express. From 1967 to 1986, the 6th Ave (D) was the main service - express weekdays, local weekends - while the older BMT services (brownM) (originally the QJ) and (Q) (originally the QB) were relegated to part-time locals. Upon the completion of the Manhattan Bridge track work, it was assumed that the D would return as the main Brighton service and the Q would supplement it only on weekdays. Of course, it didn't turn out that way. Sometimes the opposite approach is worth considering.

Who cares?  That has nothing to do with the (R) train running like crap and being unreliable.  If anything those figures would likely be higher if the (R) ran better.  Aside from the (R) the only alternative for some people is driving or going all the way over to the X27 which unless you drive to can be a schlepp to get over to depending on where in Bay Ridge you are.  I know that some people may use the B4 to get over to the X27, but even that isn't a real viable option.  Plenty of people in Bay Ridge drive, especially going towards Shore Road.  

No, but you're acting like everybody is crazy for not taking the X27, when it only serves a small portion of Bay Ridge and doesn't go to as many places as the (R) does (Hint: Not everybody is going to Manhattan either). And when you have plenty of middle-class people on Staten Island willing to put up with the SIR-ferry-subway commute, it doesn't shock me that most people in Bay Ridge prefer the (R).

The X27 works for some people, but for the most part, the (R) train is the main mode of public transportation for most people traveling to/from Bay Ridge.

The nonexistant safety issues and other problems that come with the  (R) train just drives those people even further to use the express bus over the  (R) and I don't blame them.

Fixed. 

1. No, but you're acting like everybody is crazy for not taking the X27, when it only serves a small portion of Bay Ridge and doesn't go to as many places as the (R) does (Hint: Not everybody is going to Manhattan either). And when you have plenty of middle-class people on Staten Island willing to put up with the SIR-ferry-subway commute, it doesn't shock me that most people in Bay Ridge prefer the (R).

The X27 works for some people, but for the most part, the (R) train is the main mode of public transportation for most people traveling to/from Bay Ridge.

2. Fixed. 

1. I'm not acting like anything.  The people that use the (R) have NO other alternatives, period, so I don't know where you get this "prefer" thing from.  The other alternatives are more expensive, which are the X27, the X28 on the Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights border, or driving, and if they can't afford those things, then they're left with the (R).

2. That's your opinion, but you don't speak for all of the residents in Bay Ridge that have voiced their concerns about safety on the (R) train.  That was another reason cited as to why they use the X27, and I don't blame them.  For example, a senior citizen (of which there are many in Bay Ridge) is not going to feel comfortable riding the subway for a multitude of reasons, and therefore would want to use the express bus.  

2. That's your opinion, but you don't speak for all of the residents in Bay Ridge that have voiced their concerns about safety on the (R) train.  That was another reason cited as to why they use the X27, and I don't blame them.  For example, a senior citizen (of which there are many in Bay Ridge) is not going to feel comfortable riding the subway for a multitude of reasons, and therefore would want to use the express bus.  

There are NO security concerns on the (R).

Zip, zero, zilch. The only reason someone would bring up the "safety" is if they've never taken the subway since the 1970's or even worse have a bias against minorities (these are the people who eat Trump's nonsense for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have the asinine idea that minorities all wear their pants down and are out to mug you. You can paint this as rosy as you want but this is a definite viewpoint in wealthy Bay Ridge, especially the senior citizens and the X27's clientele.

You can see this divide in all the recent "improvements" to transit in Bay Ridge. Only 86 Street station has been renovated until Cuomo annouced that Bay Ridge Avenue will be one of the 30 stations for the new guidelines.86 Street will be getting a elevator in 2 years and I assume Bay Ridge Avenue will be required to be wheelchair accessible too.That still took too long. The (R) still runs the POS R46's. Meanwhile, they brought back the weekend X27 and the B37, two changes that I am vehemently against because they are wastes of operating money. Guess what niches they serve: The Shore Road mansions and the senior citizens, who don't even bother with the B37 after they clamored for its restoration.

The B1 and B63 are packed to the gills constantly and they had the nerve to increase headways on both routes, making the crowding even worse. How about some artics or more buses per hour?

Golden's response: It doesn't help our little voting niches? No, thanks.

I really wonder if splitting the line up into two separate services would really help. I'm quite intrigued by the Nassau line idea, using Montegue via Nassau. The problem is, you have to consider most people need to get to Midtown. The folks who stay on the (R) past Atlantic-Barclays aren't going there, however. They're going to Jay St to transfer to the (A)(F) or going direct to Midtown to the Financial District, at least that's what I've seen anecdotally. If a (W) took the Financial District section, a new service from Bay Ridge to Chambers St (for example) or Bay Ridge to City Hall might be envisioned. 

Splitting it up would -ABSOLUTELY- Help. The R ran like a dream during the montague shutdown. 

I mean, this is somewhat of an unrealistic plan, given the amount of construction involved, but: 

If one could connect the tracks that used to go to the Manny B from the fulton line to the unused platform at Canal St, you could terminate the Southern Section R there and it would have direct connection to the N/Q/W/Northern Section R. I believe whitehall could easily handle the North R and W at 10m intervals each. 

You could also terminate the Northern Section R at Canal: The Southbound W would have to fight with terminating R trains there, but this already works reasonably well at Continental between the M and the R  and we're talking about comparable intervals. The Nassau st stations are really really close to the Broadway stations so the effects on riders would be minimal. 

It's a thought, I don't think it's super-realistic, but I think it would be effective. 

There are NO security concerns on the (R).

Zip, zero, zilch. The only reason someone would bring up the "safety" is if they've never taken the subway since the 1970's or even worse have a bias against minorities (these are the people who eat Trump's nonsense for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have the asinine idea that minorities all wear their pants down and are out to mug you. You can paint this as rosy as you want but this is a definite viewpoint in wealthy Bay Ridge, especially the senior citizens and the X27's clientele.

You can see this divide in all the recent "improvements" to transit in Bay Ridge. Only 86 Street station has been renovated until Cuomo annouced that Bay Ridge Avenue will be one of the 30 stations for the new guidelines.86 Street will be getting a elevator in 2 years and I assume Bay Ridge Avenue will be required to be wheelchair accessible too.That still took too long. The (R) still runs the POS R46's. Meanwhile, they brought back the weekend X27 and the B37, two changes that I am vehemently against because they are wastes of operating money. Guess what niches they serve: The Shore Road mansions and the senior citizens, who don't even bother with the B37 after they clamored for its restoration.

The B1 and B63 are packed to the gills constantly and they had the nerve to increase headways on both routes, making the crowding even worse. How about some artics or more buses per hour?

Golden's response: It doesn't help our little voting niches? No, thanks.

I'm sorry but I was part of the group that helped to get the X27 and X37 restored in Bay Ridge, and despite you being against that restoration, ridership continues to INCREASE on the X27, and the service is warranted based on the figures I showed you, so the only problem I see here is your vendetta against the folks in Bay Ridge that have money and ride the express buses, which would include myself, since I also use the X27 to get the South Brooklyn.  Bay Ridge has one of the highest senior populations in NYC, so there is NO way that Golden could simply alienate a large chunk of his constituents who NEED the X27.  The only ADA station is 86th street and that requires a bus to get to for those who live near or along Shore Road.  I also know of other people who live in Bay Ridge and use the express bus, such as my old boss.  I recommended the area to him years ago, and he moved his family down there from Brooklyn Heights and loves it.  It's a great neighborhood, and I see nothing wrong with keeping a service that benefits so many families, seniors and upper class professionals.  For the record, it's us, the people you hold a grudge against that tend to pay the most taxes to support all of the wonderful programs for the less fortunate, so if we're the paying the most taxes, why shouldn't we benefit from having services that our communities need?

The issue with artics running on the B1 and B63 is something you should be taking up with the (MTA), NOT Senator Golden, who has done an EXCELLENT job representing Bay Ridge and other parts of South Brooklyn.  For the record, since you want to argue that Golden is essentially engaged in class warfare when it comes to public transit, it was HIS efforts that helped to get routes like the B2, B4, B37, B64 restored.  I contacted his office and asked that he work on those routes, and he made a promise to do so and delivered.  If either of us were so against those with less, we wouldn't have done such a thing.  It is no secret that the local buses are generally used by poor people, particularly outside of Manhattan, with some users being middle class.

lol... Well unlike I some people, I value my time and the quality of my ride, so I gladly pay for my Metro-North pass, which means no rats, no homeless people and other quality issues that I'm ensure you put up with on your lovely subway ride.  :D

Yeah but what you're forgetting from your myopic ivory tower is that unlike some people, you can AFFORD to pay for redundant fares. 

There are many people who cannot, for any number of reasons. I could be easily making triple my current salary if I worked in broadcast but instead I work in higher-ed video production because I'd rather take home less money (still a very very livable wage) and make the world a better place. 

There are also many people who didn't have the privileges I had (or that you had, for that matter) growing up, and take home far smaller wages and have to stretch it much further. You're not a better human because of your socioeconomic class, nor are you more civilized, and you'd do well to understand that mass transit is for the masses; not just for you. 

If you don't want to take the subway and you want to buy redundant farecards that's 100% your prerogative. But berating people for their decisions to take the subway demonstrates your sheltered, shortsighted, and potentially bigoted view of the world. 

QED. 

Yeah but what you're forgetting from your myopic ivory tower is that unlike some people, you can AFFORD to pay for redundant fares. 

There are many people who cannot, for any number of reasons. I could be easily making triple my current salary if I worked in broadcast but instead I work in higher-ed video production because I'd rather take home less money (still a very very livable wage) and make the world a better place. 

There are also many people who didn't have the privileges I had (or that you had, for that matter) growing up, and take home far smaller wages and have to stretch it much further. You're not a better human because of your socioeconomic class, nor are you more civilized, and you'd do well to understand that mass transit is for the masses; not just for you. 

If you don't want to take the subway and you want to buy redundant farecards that's 100% your prerogative. But berating people for their decisions to take the subway demonstrates your sheltered, shortsighted, and potentially bigoted view of the world. 

QED. 

Excuse me, but there is nothing redundant about the passes that I buy, since I use both services enough to justify the cost.  I travel A LOT and both of my passes get used accordingly.  There is nothing "shortsighted" about me valuing my time and wanting a civilized commute, both of which is simply not possible on the subway and you know it.  There has been an increase in the deterioration of subway service that even the (MTA) admits, and yet you continue to try to paint a picture of the system that simply doesn't exist.  Talk about living in denial. Smh  <_<

For the record, it's us, the people you hold a grudge against that tend to pay the most taxes to support all of the wonderful programs for the less fortunate, so if we're the paying the most taxes, why shouldn't we benefit from having services that our communities need?

Just for the record, the " wonderful programs for the less fortunate" hurt more than help. It came from the heart and it was intended to help people but all it has done is create a society where people just get money out of nowhere and don't do any work. Now, don't get me wrong, there are people who do work jobs and receive "benefits". It's reverse psychology and reverse psychology never works.

I'm sorry but I was part of the group that helped to get the X27 and X37 restored in Bay Ridge, and despite you being against that restoration, ridership continues to INCREASE on the X27, and the service is warranted based on the figures I showed you, so the only problem I see here is your vendetta against the folks in Bay Ridge that have money and ride the express buses, which would include myself, since I also use the X27 to get the South Brooklyn.  Bay Ridge has one of the highest senior populations in NYC, so there is NO way that Golden could simply alienate a large chunk of his constituents who NEED the X27.  The only ADA station is 86th street and that requires a bus to get to for those who live near or along Shore Road.  I also know of other people who live in Bay Ridge and use the express bus, such as my old boss.  I recommended the area to him years ago, and he moved his family down there from Brooklyn Heights and loves it.  It's a great neighborhood, and I see nothing wrong with keeping a service that benefits so many families, seniors and upper class professionals.  For the record, it's us, the people you hold a grudge against that tend to pay the most taxes to support all of the wonderful programs for the less fortunate, so if we're the paying the most taxes, why shouldn't we benefit from having services that our communities need?

I only hold a grudge over people who are elitists and politicians who do anything for the voter base that will elect them while not paying attention to the rest. I do not in any way, shape or form think that people with more money should be denied public improvements while the "lower classes" get the attention and if I made it seem that way I apologize.

(I have not had the best day today and that may have made me "edgier" and more argumentative. It does in the real world)

I am more annoyed at the fact that the politicians like Golden are unable to accomplish things for "both sides".

For example...

The issue with artics running on the B1 and B63 is something you should be taking up with the (MTA), NOT Senator Golden

Yet he can at the drop of a hat make the MTA get rid of all the "old express buses from Staten Island". I don't believe it.

Excuse me, but there is nothing redundant about the passes that I buy, since I use both services enough to justify the cost.  I travel A LOT and both of my passes get used accordingly.  There is nothing "shortsighted" about me valuing my time and wanting a civilized commute, both of which is simply not possible on the subway and you know it.  There has been an increase in the deterioration of subway service that even the (MTA) admits, and yet you continue to try to paint a picture of the system that simply doesn't exist.  Talk about living in denial. Smh  <_<

He is not referring to YOU being shortsighted. It is shortsighted to someone who does not make as much as you do and therefore cannot justify the cost.

The fact of the matter is, there are people in this city who DO depend on the subway because they can't afford the express bus or Metro North. There is no point for them to buy that extra pass when they need to feed their family, buy clothes for them, etc.

What makes you think that? Those buses are due to be replaced because they have to be, the same way that the local buses are being replaced.

He wrote a letter to the MTA asking why there were buses from Staten Island (Charleston Depot in particular) replacing the retired MCI's.

After he wrote this letter, the MTA sent back the MCI's and moved the 2011 Prevosts from Yukon to UP and is now completely refurbishing them (now don't get me wrong- they should be redone every 4 or 5 years). The MTA completely reversed the plan (old MCIs to UP temporarily until the new Prevosts come in) because he threw a hissy fit over the fact that he "paid" for the 2011 Prevosts (he did say something to that affect in the letter) and had nothing to show for it.

Meanwhile, as a member of the transportation commitee he also "paid" for the R160's. You don't hear him complaining about the R46's the way he complained about a 13 year old express bus (which would have been replaced in 2 years anyway).

Splitting it up would -ABSOLUTELY- Help. The R ran like a dream during the montague shutdown.

I mean, this is somewhat of an unrealistic plan, given the amount of construction involved, but:

If one could connect the tracks that used to go to the Manny B from the fulton line to the unused platform at Canal St, you could terminate the Southern Section R there and it would have direct connection to the N/Q/W/Northern Section R. I believe whitehall could easily handle the North R and W at 10m intervals each.

You could also terminate the Northern Section R at Canal: The Southbound W would have to fight with terminating R trains there, but this already works reasonably well at Continental between the M and the R and we're talking about comparable intervals. The Nassau st stations are really really close to the Broadway stations so the effects on riders would be minimal.

It's a thought, I don't think it's super-realistic, but I think it would be effective.

You could turn the (R) at Canal, but you wouldn't also be able to turn the (W) to/from Brooklyn there because the switches face the wrong way for relaying from the south. I think it would be much easier to just reopen the eastern platform at Canal St (J) and terminate the "Southern R" there, even if that means limiting trains to eight 60-foot cars.

He wrote a letter to the MTA asking why there were buses from Staten Island (Charleston Depot in particular) replacing the retired MCI's.

After he wrote this letter, the MTA sent back the MCI's and moved the 2011 Prevosts from Yukon to UP and is now completely refurbishing them (now don't get me wrong- they should be redone every 4 or 5 years). The MTA completely reversed the plan (old MCIs to UP temporarily until the new Prevosts come in) because he threw a hissy fit over the fact that he "paid" for the 2011 Prevosts (he did say something to that affect in the letter) and had nothing to show for it.

Meanwhile, as a member of the transportation commitee he also "paid" for the R160's. You don't hear him complaining about the R46's the way he complained about a 13 year old express bus (which would have been replaced in 2 years anyway).

That's because this is a practice that the (MTA) has been engaging in for some time and folks in Bay Ridge are sick of it.  They're well aware of what has been going on and alerted him to the situation.  He previously wrote the (MTA) about this practice, and they in turn gave UP a number of the new Prevosts that came in from the first order.  He simply wants that practice to continue with new or newer fleet.  Why should Bay Ridge get ALL of Staten Island's hand-me-downs?  Older buses (especially Staten Island's garbage) will simply mean more breakdowns and unreliable service for Bay Ridge.  

The idea is this:

(R) runs as it does now, as does the (M) on weekdays.

This new (Z) train's main purpose is to serve the 4th Avenue local in Brooklyn via Montauge and Nassau and get people to where they can transfer to other lines (especially the (D) and (N) trains as well as the (A)(C) and (F) at Jay-Metrotech) more easily (with those specifically looking for the canyon of office buildings around the NYSE for example being a bonus).  

The original idea was to have this new, full-time (Z) run from 95th Street-4th Avenue in Brooklyn to Essex Street in Manhattan on weekdays while overnights and weekends the line would be extended to Metropolitan Avenue as this eliminates BOTH the late night (R) shuttle and the late night and weekend (M) shuttles since this would absorb those.  As Essex can't be used as a terminal during the week, however (since the (J) has to use the center track during those hours as the (M) must use the outer track coming from 6th Avenue), that's why during the week I have this new (Z) operating to Broadway Junction (and most likely as a peak-direction express there during the week) since that is the closest place where it can terminate without affecting other lines.  

That is why I would do it as I would.

Gotta stop taking shots every time I read one of Wallyhorse's posts...ran out of vodka lol, but I digress...

You could turn the (R) at Canal, but you wouldn't also be able to turn the (W) to/from Brooklyn there because the switches face the wrong way for relaying from the south. I think it would be much easier to just reopen the eastern platform at Canal St (J) and terminate the "Southern R" there, even if that means limiting trains to eight 60-foot cars.

If you do that, trains heading back south would be running on the same track as (J)(Z) trains heading north for quite a distance until north of Chambers where they would cross back to the south track towards Broad.

Yes, I just checked a track map between Canal and Chambers, both pre- and post-Chrystie. Looks like a significant reconstruction of The northbound tracks would be needed to allow trains to turn at Canal. I think it's still doable, but it may be easier to install switches to make the turn back either at or near Bowery station, which would likely have its former northbound platform put back in revenue service.

By the way guys, while Via and others are fighting about Bay Ridge transport, the (R) actually turned 100 today. 86th Street Station (and the others North) opened on January 15, 1916. Mind blown.

A fantastic writeup: http://www.heyridge.com/2016/01/crappy-100th-birthday-bay-ridge-subway/

Interesting... It still operates like it's 1916 from a service standpoint too... Mind blown.   :lol:

Archived