Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon me if someone already suggested it.  (Too long to read thru it all), but how about extending the new 7 line extension to South Ferry?

Since the new extension yard will already reach 26th street and 11th avenue, I propose continuing down 11th/West Street with stops at 23rd St., 14th st., Christopher St., (possible PATH connection), Houston St., Canal St., Chambers St., World Trade Center (connection with PATH, 1, and E), Rector St., and South Ferry.

An alternate would be to curve it eastward along Chambers St. to connect it directly into the 1,2,3 line at Chambers or Rector, and replace or supplement the 1  train to South Ferry....

Pardon me if someone already suggested it.  (Too long to read thru it all), but how about extending the new 7 line extension to South Ferry?

Since the new extension yard will already reach 26th street and 11th avenue, I propose continuing down 11th/West Street with stops at 23rd St., 14th st., Christopher St., (possible PATH connection), Houston St., Canal St., Chambers St., World Trade Center (connection with PATH, 1, and E), Rector St., and South Ferry.

An alternate would be to curve it eastward along Chambers St. to connect it directly into the 1,2,3 line at Chambers or Rector, and replace or supplement the 1  train to South Ferry....

Don't know about that. Good idea, but I would have it go to NJ.

Maybe an (L) extension to 72 Street via 10 Avenue?

What? Too much foaming.....? I'll tone it down....

Maybe an (L) extension to 72 Street via 10 Avenue?.

http://goo.gl/maps/FfKSz

Even more foaming. In this scenario, I extend the (L) to 2nd Avenue via the local, like the (Y).

Culver Shuttle

1. 9th Ave (D)

2. Fort Hamilton Pkway , South Brooklyn Railway

3. 13 Ave (T)

4. Ditmas Ave (F)(G)

5.West 8th Street (Q)(F)(M)

6. Stillwell Ave - Nark St (AA)

What kind of routing is this? lol

I like your idea of sending the 'L' train north....

As for sending the '7' train to NJ, I don't know....first of all, they already have constructed the line south on 11th avenue.  Would you suggest they abandon that extension, or run the 7 to both 34th and to NJ on alternate trips?

Second, it would open up a 'can of worms' bureaucratically as to funding and operating responsibilites.  While the PATH line is there just for that purpose, and MTA's commuter line, MN does deal with operations in NJ and Connecticut, for the subway to take that step would be a whole 'nother matter....

I like your idea of sending the 'L' train north....

As for sending the '7' train to NJ, I don't know....first of all, they already have constructed the line south on 11th avenue.  Would you suggest they abandon that extension, or run the 7 to both 34th and to NJ on alternate trips?

Second, it would open up a 'can of worms' bureaucratically as to funding and operating responsibilites.  While the PATH line is there just for that purpose, and MTA's commuter line, MN does deal with operations in NJ and Connecticut, for the subway to take that step would be a whole 'nother matter....

True, that proposal derailed last year anyways.

Thank for the feedback about the (L).

Here's a map of the idea via 11 Avenue to 34 Street. Source

tumblr_luxbpj8fL51r3aqyw.jpg

Edited by Metro CSW

Post from June 2011 in this thread concerning making an (L) extension a 10th Avenue line to 72nd-Broadway (1)(2)(3) station.

My plan would include building the 10th Avenue-41st Street station for the (7) with a mezzanene straddling the (7) platform that would allow people to walk from an (L) station to the PABT entrance at 9th Avenue and 41st Street while underground.

2nd Av Line Branches

(T) - Third Av-Jamaica Center via the Atlantic Branch

(V) - Co-Op City - Jamaica Center

(W)- Springfield Blvd/Hillside Av - Kings Plaza via Utica Av

(X) - TriboroRX (never happening, but it should be funded at some point in time)

New Trunk Line - (Y) Astoria Blvd Line, from 125th St-Broadway - Jamaica Center via 125th St, Ditmars Blvd, Astoria Blvd, Kissena Blvd, and Parsons Blvd, roughly following the M60, Q69, Q19, and Q25 routes. A new yard would be built at the former Flushing Airport in College Point.

If you're gonna foam, foam big :D

Rebuild (7) line, with express trains running both directions. The express trains will run as (11). AM rush from 5 AM to 11 AM and PM rush from 3 PM to 10:30 PM, the trains will run every 5-10 minutes. Every other time the (11) runs every 20 minutes. (7) local trains will run every 5 minutes at all times. There will be 4 tracks on all the stations on the (7) and the (11). The (7) would be rebuilt.

Flushing Main Street: 3 platforms. To connect the platforms, there will be staircases on the platform that go above the train and connects to the other platform. There will be one staircase for every 2 train cars. The two middle tracks are express tracks, for express trains arriving and departing. The tracks at the wall are local tracks, and only local. 

Mets Willets Point: station demolished, new station will be built with 4 platforms. Same as main steet, except that the staircases go under the train and not over.

111 Street: Being bypassed by Flushing bound trains until construction complete. Another track will be added to the upper level for the express trains. WILL BE BYPASSED BY ALL (11) TRAINS

103 Street: Will be bypassed by Flushing bound trains until comstruction complete. After the extra track is installed, all existing tracks will be overhauled and the station will be rebuilt. WILL BY BYPASSED BY ALL (11) TRAINS

Junction Blvd: see mets willets point, but station WILL NOT BE DEMOLISHED.

90-69 Street: Will be bypassed by Flushing bound trains until construction complete. After the extra track is installed, all existing tracks will be overhauled and stations will be rebuilt. MANHATTAN BOUND PLATFORM OF 74 ST-BROADWAY WILL NOT BE REBUILT. WILL BE SKIPPED BY ALL (11) TRAINS.

61 Street: See Junction Blvd

52-33 Street: Will be bypassed by Flushing bound trains until construction complete. After the extra track is installed, all existing tracks will be overhauled and stations will be rebuilt. WILL BE SKIPPED BY ALL (11) TRAINS.

Queensboro Plaza: Stays the same, all express trains will come together with local trains.

Court Square: Stays the same, express and local trains are together.

Hunters Point-Vernon Jackson: stations will be bypassed by flushing bound trains until construction finished. Manhattan bound platform will be overhauled, extra track will be added. WILL BE BYPASSED BY ALL (11) TRAINS.

NOTE: After Vernon-Jackson, express and local trains will come back together to use one track.

Grand Central-34 St- Javits Center: WILL STAY THE SAME. TIMES SQUARE-GRAND CENTRAL WILL BE OVERHAULED.

I KNOW I WENT TOO FANTASY HERE, BUT HEY, THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO TO CREATE A NEW SUBWAY LINE.

*Long post on rebuilding (7) Line*

I KNOW I WENT TOO FANTASY HERE, BUT HEY, THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO TO CREATE A NEW SUBWAY LINE.

Why not just add another express track above, create another level at QBP, 45th, Hunts Pt, and Vernon Blvd, Grand Central, 5 Av and lastly TSQ for express trains. Then, create another tunnel under the river. This would be much cheaper.

(My first post)

My idea was an extension of the (5) train to Kings Plaza. <5>

Stations include the following local stations between Current ending of (5) and (2) and Kings Plaza.

(Note- runs along rest of (5) line as well

-Flatbush Ave/Brooklyn College (2)(5)

-Flatbush Ave/Ave J

-Kings Pkwy/Ave L

-Quentin Rd

-Fillmore Ave

-Kings Plaza

I'm trying something more on the base of a Queens Bronx Connection.

The purple (8) train would run with the (7) train from Queensboro Plaza. After reaching all the way to Flushing the train would run to these stations-

(Roosevelt ave)

-Flushing- Main St (7)

-Parsons Blvd

-150 St

(Turn onto Northern Blvd)

-Crocheron Ave

-Utopia Pkwy

(Turn onto Utopia Pkwy)

-29 Av/Francis Lewis Blvd

-21 Ave (local only)

-16 Ave (local only)

(Merge onto/ run alongside Throgs Neck Bridge)

(Merge of onto ?Pennyfield Ave? At SCNY)

-Maritime College

-Harding Ave

(Merge onto 177th Av/cross Bronx expwy)

-Miles Ave

(Merge onto Tremont ave)

-Randall Ave

-Lafayette Ave

-Bruckner Blvd

-Waterbury Ave (Local only)

(Merge onto Westchester Ave)

-Middletown Rd (6)

-Buhre Rd (6)

-Pelham Bay Park (6)

End of route

Whatever types of trains that would run, they'd have to be compatible with the trains on both the (6) and (7) lines due to the route.

(8) Bronx-Queens connector- Pelham Bay Park

(8) Bronx-Queens Connector- Queensboro Plaza

I feel this one might just work.

You think you went nuts with that one, check out this. I got lazy, so I didn't make a legend, but each line represents a pair of tracks, and black station stops means that not all trains on those set of tracks stop (5, 6, 7, D express, J/Z skip-stop).

You can't see it in here, but the Jamaica El would also be three-tracked east of Broadway Junction under this plan, with (Z) service becoming a peak hour express, and (J) becoming a local at all times east of Myrtle Av.

You think you went nuts with that one, check out this. I got lazy, so I didn't make a legend, but each line represents a pair of tracks, and black station stops means that not all trains on those set of tracks stop (5, 6, 7, D express, J/Z skip-stop).

You can't see it in here, but the Jamaica El would also be three-tracked east of Broadway Junction under this plan, with (Z) service becoming a peak hour express, and (J) becoming a local at all times east of Myrtle Av.

Did you make this yourself? This is amazing!

Here's another simple yet interesting concept- the leading further into the Bronx.

I had two Ideas for this...

One was a simple route connecting with the (1) then turning onto Kingsbridge to connect with the (4)(B) and the (D). Here's the extension-

-Inwood- 207 St (A)

-216 st (Walkway to 215 St and the (1) train)

(Merges with (1) onto broadway)

-Marble Hill 225 St (1)

(Turns onto 225 St)

(Merges onto Kingsbridge)

-Webb Ave

-Kingsbridge Rd (4)

-Kingsbridge Rd (B)(D)

END OF ROUTE

The other idea was a lot more complicated and dealt with extending the to College of Mt St Vincent by running it along Henry Hudson Pkwy and Riverdale Ave.

The beginning is the same...but then the rest is different

-Inwood- 207 St (A)

-216 st (Walkway to 215 St and the (1) train)

(Merges with (1) onto broadway)

-Marble Hill 225 St (1)

(Turns onto 230th st)

-Irwin Ave/Riverdale Pkwy

-238 st

-254 st/ Hackett Park

(Turn slightly onto 261 st)

-261 st/ College of Mt St Vincent (stop is within college)

END OF ROUTE

My first idea was better for connecting different routes.

Perhaps I should try extending the (1) to the College of Mt St Vincent instead?