Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

And here shows up the "express is supposed to be faster" arugments again.

I had my first stupid question this pick on the (C) tonight. I come into W4 going N/B and this woman asks me how far away the next (A) is. I told her I didn't know but I haven't seen one in a while, and she asks if she's better off getting on my (C) or waiting for the (A). I ask where she's going and she says 42 St. So I tell her my (C) will get there first....and she starts to get on and then steps off and says "but are you local or express?". She held up the train enough so I close the doors with her on the platform and say "local, but we're still gonna beat the (A) to 42!" The (A) that did eventually come passed my (C) as we were coming into 110, and beat us out of 125.

Edited by Snowblock

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Falling under his influence? You making it sound like Snowblock controls minds or some shit like that.

...not everyone is gonna agree with your ideas, get over it already

IC it makes sense now so that was what happened. Yeah I understand that wise man told me know how to shoot down opposing arguments as not everyone will agree with you. I understand this fully hence why sometimes walking away or getting more knowledge helps.

39th Street - (1)

The crowds around there are pretty bad, with Penn Station to the south and Times Square to the north. In the middle, to relieve crowds, I'd propose a 39th Street station.

ERR hell no it anything the (1) needs less stations 18th street and 28th street WTF why are they there. 39th that is even worse you will only anger the broadway/7th ave riders.

Wait, WHAT did I say that set you off?

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself. Maybe it's time to move on to a new hobby for me.....

So that was what that snowblock comment by joel was about IC.

Hmph! Talk about foaming gone wrong.... :rolleyes: 

if it went through people would RIOT.

I had my first stupid question this pick on the (C) tonight. I come into W4 going N/B and this woman asks me how far away the next (A) is. I told her I didn't know but I haven't seen one in a while, and she asks if she's better off getting on my (C) or waiting for the (A). I ask where she's going and she says 42 St. So I tell her my (C) will get there first....and she starts to get on and then steps off and says "but are you local or express?". She held up the train enough so I close the doors with her on the platform and say "local, but we're still gonna beat the (A) to 42!" The (A) that did eventually come passed my (C) as we were coming into 110, and beat us out of 125.

Talking to people on the A and C is like talking to a rock smh.

But 39th to 42nd? How long is too long? Given a typical local stop distance it's about 6-8 blocks. Some places are longer because the area isn't as dense or some places are closer because it's much denser.

Or because in some areas it just isn't possible to add a new station even if it's a suburban area (for example because of steep grades or because it would clog up other lines).

i hate this thread. the only way to make new stations is anything beyond the terminal or to start a new subway line like the 2 ave line. The object of the subway is to go in far distance without stopping like 6 to 10 blocks apart. Some foamers on here think the subway is a bus and it not. the way subway is running is fine. 

I remember back when I was operating last month, was on the (C) and left Euclid together with an (A) .  Couple railfans from here was on the train.  I saw the back of that same  (A) leaving Chambers...

Jumping between local and express doesn't have the same impact in the B-Div as it does in the A, as it's VERY unlikely that you're going to catch up to your leader by using express trains as shortcuts. I should have mentioned that on that same run last night, there was a woman sitting outside my cab from Van Siclen to 110 St. If she ever got off my train to wait for an (A), then she would have gotten to 110 St on the (C) interval behind mine (remember, (B) service ended early thanks to Fasttrack) .... and even if we made a connection with an (A), she would have just ended up getting back onto my same (C) again at 59 St, so she did the right thing, and kept her seat the whole time.

i hate this thread. the only way to make new stations is anything beyond the terminal or to start a new subway line like the 2 ave line. The object of the subway is to go in far distance without stopping like 6 to 10 blocks apart. Some foamers on here think the subway is a bus and it not. the way subway is running is fine. 

Adding stations to an existing line is also possible, it just depends on the area/situation/grade.

In my second feeble attempt to get this thread back on topic (getting off topic seems to be common sometimes), I will give my thoughts.

Forgive me if these things have been said before, but I would close down Hewes St and Lorimer St on the (J) and put a station at Union Av to connect to the (G).

I would close down the Beverly and Cortelyou Rd stations and rebuild a new one in between and name it Beverly/Cortelyou Rds...

I would put a station between 36th st and 9th av on the (D) line. I always felt that there should be a station at 6th/7th avs....

Agreed about the (J) and (Q) station mergings. It's a pity they already renovated the (J) stations though... As for the (Q), what i'd do is the new station would keep the former 2 stations with the platforms used as extended passageways to their respective exits (as they are both around the middle of the train). The new (Q) station platforms should be built wider than what is currently at the other 2 platforms. For those 2 the safest place to stand around is near the stairway.

39th Street - (1)

The crowds around there are pretty bad, with Penn Station to the south and Times Square to the north. In the middle, to relieve crowds, I'd propose a 39th Street station.

Thats 3 blocks from Times Square and 4 blocks from Penn Station, too close, thats why 91st Street was closed on the (1) in the first place, since it was 5 blocks from 96th and 86th

Not really because the origin of most of those crowds are customers transferring from other lines. If 39 St were ever built, it would have to be a local station and with no transfer points, most riders would just keep walking to 42 or 34 if coming from the street. Also, even though 34 and 42 are both busy stations, they aren't overcrowded to the point of being dangerous.

Agreed with Grand Concourse.

As for that (D) idea: NO. Let's first build a decent terminal for the (D) before we build a new station somewhere along the line.

You're not making sense....you're in a thread that asks for new stations along existing lines. I gave one.

If you disagree with that (D) station, then tell me why you disagree with that station being put there--point to something like population or engineering or something concrete rather than the common  "don't do that, do this instead" so--called reasoning.

I am not trying to be insulting, but I see this commonly done here when someone actually answers a question and someone comes along and dismisses it (without any relevant explanation) by saying, "Don't do x, do y instead"....

I find that somewhat annoying.

You're not making sense....you're in a thread that asks for new stations along existing lines. I gave one.

If you disagree with that (D) station, then tell me why you disagree with that station being put there--point to something like population or engineering or something concrete rather than the common  "don't do that, do this instead" so--called reasoning.

I am not trying to be insulting, but I see this commonly done here when someone actually answers a question and someone comes along and dismisses it (without any relevant explanation) by saying, "Don't do x, do y instead"....

I find that somewhat annoying.

Gee.... I don't know. The 36th Street Yard directly above the tunnel might be just one reason.....

Don't you think? ^_^

Edited by Metro CSW

In my second feeble attempt to get this thread back on topic (getting off topic seems to be common sometimes), I will give my thoughts.

Forgive me if these things have been said before, but I would close down Hewes St and Lorimer St on the (J) and put a station at Union Av to connect to the (G).

I would close down the Beverly and Cortelyou Rd stations and rebuild a new one in between and name it Beverly/Cortelyou Rds...

I would put a station between 36th st and 9th av on the (D) line. I always felt that there should be a station at 6th/7th avs....

just close cortelyou and keep beverly. Reroute B103 and BM lines to beverly reducing travel time.

Not sure I agree with the closing down the Beverly and Cortelyou Rd stations simply because Kensington seems to be growing as is most of Brooklyn.  Guess you haven't seen the hipsters moving in there... Having everyone converge on one station in this case isn't the best idea.  People like options and some would complain about having a longer walk, and potential overcrowding as well.  Quite frankly all they need to do is re-do the walls and platforms at those stations because the upstairs part is in pretty decent shape and quite nice.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Gee.... I don't know. The 36th Street Yard directly above the tunnel might be just one reason.....

Don't you think? ^_^

Possibly, but he didn't give that as a reason--unless you are the other poster.

Now you would have to give me an explanation of why having a yard above the tunnel would completely prevent a station to be put there.

Not sure I agree with the closing down the Beverly and Cortelyou Rd stations simply because Kensington seems to be growing as is most of Brooklyn.  Guess you haven't seen the hipsters moving in there... Having everyone converge on one station in this case isn't the best idea.  People like options and some would complain about having a longer walk, and potential overcrowding as well.  Quite frankly all they need to do is re-do the walls and platforms at those stations because the upstairs part is in pretty decent shape and quite nice.

Why? The total number of commuters using the complex wouldn't come close to the totals at other stations in the city.

But if you are going to argue this "not being the best idea" because you feel some people might want more "options" and might not want to walk, then I will counter by saying the walking would be minimal......the new station would be put in between where the two are now.

Also, don't make assumptions about people, even on the internet. Trust me, I know the neighborhood EXTREMELY well.

just close cortelyou and keep beverly. Reroute B103 and BM lines to beverly reducing travel time.

Cortelyou Rd is busier than Beverly....it has the restaurants and shops and such.

If the buses were rerouted, that would be a major problem.

Edited by Brooklyn