Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea, but with your routes vicinity to the Bronx-Whitestone bridge and its easy straight line potential link to the (6) why not extend it to the Bronx? It would increase connection between Bronx and Queens.

Just make your own map and present your own ideas. It's a fantasy thread, let it go....

• 3 weeks later...

An alternate history, so to speak... it's at the bottom of this post, so if you aren't interested in my fantasies and my writing then just skip to the map.

http://goo.gl/maps/uAlSx

Services:

(0): Manhattan Local, all times. Operates between Gun Hill Road and Battery Park. When <0> service is running, there is no (0) service north of Fordham Plaza.

<0>: Manhattan Local, weekdays. Operates between Gun Hill Road and Battery Park. Express in the Bronx. Some trips operate to 238th Street-Nereid Avenue.

(8): Manhattan Express, daily. Operates between Sedgwick Avenue and New Lots Avenue, all times. Late nights local.

(9): Manhattan Express, daily. Operates between Eastchester Road and Flatbush Avenue, weekdays. Weekends terminates at Chatham Square.

Alternate History:

In 1914, as part of the landmark Dual Contracts, the IRT was awarded funds to create two new subway trunks in Brooklyn: the Church Avenue Line and the Eastern Parkway Line extension. These lines connected to the existing IRT subway and expanded it, along with the Nostrand Avenue line to Flatbush Avenue (a planned extension to Sheepshead Bay to meet the (E) and (F) [another part of this fantasy] failed due to blocking from residents). The main parts of this plan however was to preserve East Side subway service by extending the Lexington Avenue Line north and reconstructing the southern half of the 3rd Avenue El as a subway. This construction in both boroughs began in 1916 and finished in 1925. The 3rd Avenue El which remained would later be rebuilt in 1934.

In 1955, as the elevated aged, there was a heated debate whether to abandon the line north of 59th Street, where the subway segment ended. Due to pressure from residents and the money available from a bond, the line was refurbished and kept. With crowding increasing along the entire line from the Bronx to Brooklyn and with the addition of the new University Avenue Branch in 1964, both Lexington and 3rd Avenue faced overcapacity. Despite this, the el was in disrepair by 1984 and it was heavily considered combining the Lexington and 3rd Avenue lines. However, it was decided to rebuild the el once again, and it has survived to this day. A new Battery Park station was completed in late 2000, and trains have served it since then. Currently, some trains do terminate at Hanover Square due to one track of Battery Park station being repaired after Sandy.

I even made some half decent mockups of some of the track maps for the new routes:

New Unionport Yard: 

detail-e180th.png

149th Street-The Hub area: (Note, black tracks are elevated.)

detail-149-gc.png

Now I'd be very surprised if no one suggested extending the (7) east, but http://queenstransit.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/tomorrows-subway-7-line-extension-northern-line/

A new (S) would take over the Port Washington Line from Great Neck to Port Washington :D

I've suggested it, but only to Bayside... that's a bit ambitious. :lol:

I don't know, I just don't think people around here would go for a subway extension. The noise, the people it brings, I don't think thats wanted. The LIRR has been enough for these people for years and there never really has been an outcry for more public transportation in addition to the Port Washington line.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004d829b481986263ef6&msa=0&ll=40.664396,-73.835614&spn=0.009424,0.01929

This route is based on my fantasy Second Avenue Line, but if Phase 3 and 4 of the planned SAS are ever completed, and the Rockaway RoW project takes off, this is the route I'd have serve it, just replace the Manhattan stops with the appropriate SAS stops.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004d829b481986263ef6&msa=0&ll=40.664396,-73.835614&spn=0.009424,0.01929

This route is based on my fantasy Second Avenue Line, but if Phase 3 and 4 of the planned SAS are ever completed, and the Rockaway RoW project takes off, this is the route I'd have serve it, just replace the Manhattan stops with the appropriate SAS stops.

Finally! Someone realizes that the taking of the Rockaway RoW Line could replace the Rockaway Shuttle.

Finally! Someone realizes that the taking of the Rockaway RoW Line could replace the Rockaway Shuttle.

If there were two lines heading to the Rockaways and two branches, do the math. I'd keep the shuttle as a supplemental summer service.

If there were two lines heading to the Rockaways and two branches, do the math. I'd keep the shuttle as a supplemental summer service.

Yeah, but if this new line is full-time, there is no need for an (S) . I'd run (A)'s to Rock Park during the summer weekends instead.

Yeah, but if this new line is full-time, there is no need for an (S) . I'd run (A)'s to Rock Park during the summer weekends instead.

Supplemental summer service for beachgoers. There would be pressure, as most normal commuters don't like to mix with beach going crowds...

They should make the Madison Avenue Line (H) (P) (U) & (Y) trains. (H) & (P) trains come in from Queens with the (E) (M) Trains from the 53rd Street Tunnel and the (H) train meets at 50th Street with the (U) while the (P) train meets at 42nd Street Grand Central with the (H)(S) (U) (Y) (4)(5)(6) & (7). The (U) & (Y) trains run on Madison Avenue Line starting at 125th Street.

Now I'd be very surprised if no one suggested extending the (7) east, but http://queenstransit.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/tomorrows-subway-7-line-extension-northern-line/

A new (S) would take over the Port Washington Line from Great Neck to Port Washington :D

I don't know, I just don't think people around here would go for a subway extension. The noise, the people it brings, I don't think thats wanted. The LIRR has been enough for these people for years and there never really has been an outcry for more public transportation in addition to the Port Washington line.

As a former resident of Bayside (lived there from 2010-12) who works in Lower Manhattan, I would have welcomed a subway extension either along Northern Blvd or the PW Line with open arms. The Q12 and Q13 buses are very well-used routes that make a lot of stops on the way to or from Main Street, Flushing. Because peak fares on the LIRR are very costly and a monthly LIRR pass doesn't include any transfers to the subway, I took the bus to/from the subway at Flushing to cut down on commuting costs. Well, you get what you pay for. Pleasant, fast and convenient are not words I would use to describe that commute. And Heaven help you if there's a sick passenger or signal problem on the (7) line. Now if the (7) were extended eastward, there would still be problems with sick passengers or signal problems, but at least it would eliminate a slow bus ride and transfer for many people.

As for the people who would protest and fight a subway extension because of the noise or the people it would bring, that's just NIMBY paranoia. Sorry to sound dismissive of people's concerns, but really, that's what it is. What would stop troublemakers from driving to Bayside or Douglaston to cause problems? Or what would stop them from taking a bus there? Subway trains don't automatically equal crime, drugs and shootings. This is not the 1970s or 80s. Maybe some folks like to think the rest of the City hasn't changed since then, but they are wrong. What hasn't changed since then is the City's rail and transit infrastructure and it's struggling to keep up with the demand of a city that has a lot more people than it did 30, 40 years ago. And much of that increased demand is right here in Queens. We have to do something to address it. Ignoring it is not going to make it go away. 

Maybe a subway extension to northeastern Queens is not the answer, I don't know. But what I do know is the PW line is underutilized, especially west of Bayside. Occasionally, I took peak local trains home to Auburndale when I was fortunate enough to learn about (7) train troubles ahead of time. To my surprise, these trains had plenty of seats available. Perhaps increased service west of Bayside at more affordable fares (really, LIRR, $9.50 from Bayside to Penn one way?) with transfers to the subway and buses at Woodside and Penn Station would put more people on those trains. And it might help relieve some of the crowding on the (7) and speed up the bus commutes for people who are only headed to Flushing, either as a destination or to transfer to another bus.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

They should make the Madison Avenue Line  (H) (P) (U) & (Y) trains. (H) & (P) trains come in from Queens with the (E) (M) Trains from the 53rd Street Tunnel and the (H) train meets at 50th Street with the (U) while the (P) train meets at 42nd Street Grand Central with the (H) (S) (U) (Y) (4)(5)(6) & (7). The (U) & (Y) trains run on Madison Avenue Line starting at 125th Street.

And just how often would (E) and (M) trains would be able to run if they have to share the 53rd Street Tunnel with these other trains? It can't be the same number of trains per hour as now.

Someone posted something earlier about extending the (2) and (5) to Rockaway. Here we're my attempts, starting with Flatbush. These routes would replace my original scenario for a route.

(2)(5)

-Flatbush Ave/ Brookyn College (2)(5)

(Turns onto Flatbush)

-Ave J (2)(5)

-Ave L/ Kings Pkwy (2)(5)

-Ave N/ Quentin Rd (2)(5)

-Fillmore Ave (2)(5)

-Ave U/ Kings Plaza [Last Stop (2)]

-Beach Channel Rd/ Jacob Riis Park (5)

(Turns onto Rockaway Beach Pkwy)

-Rockaway Park (5)(A)(S) [Last Stop (5) ]

They should make the Madison Avenue Line  (H) (P) (U) & (Y) trains. (H) & (P) trains come in from Queens with the (E) (M) Trains from the 53rd Street Tunnel and the (H) train meets at 50th Street with the (U) while the (P) train meets at 42nd Street Grand Central with the (H) (S) (U) (Y) (4)(5)(6) & (7). The (U) & (Y) trains run on Madison Avenue Line starting at 125th Street.

Too many trains in the 53rd Street tunnel, while the 63rd Street tunnel is empty in this scenario. That's my only real issue.

Fully built out SAS

(Q) - 125th/Broadway to Coney Island, via 125th St Line, 2nd Av Line, Broadway Express, and Brighton Local

125th/Broadway

125th/St. Nicholas

125th/Lenox

125th/Park-Lexington

116th

106th

96th

86th

72nd

63rd/Lexington [F 4 5 6]

current routing afterwards

(T) - Gun Hill Rd to Kings Plaza, via Park Av Line (MNRR ROW), Second Av Line, Atlantic Line, and Utica Av Line

Gun Hill Rd

East 204th
Bedford Park Blvd
Fordham Plaza
East 182nd
East Tremont Av
Clay/Claremont

East 168th

East 161st

3rd Av/149th St [2 5]
3rd Av [6]
125th/2nd
116th
106th

96th

86th

72nd

60th [4 5 6 N R]

52nd [E M 6]

42nd [4 5 6 7 S] MNRR

34th

23rd

14th/3rd [L]

Houston/2nd [F M]

Grand [b D]

Chatham Sq

Seaport

Hanover Sq

Smith St

Atlantic Terminal [2 3 4 5 B D N Q R]

Nostrand Av

Utica Av
Atlantic Av-Broadway Junction [A C L J Z]
Crescent St
Woodhaven Blvd/Atlantic Av
Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av-JFK [E J Z] LIRR

(U) - Springfield Blvd to Kings Plaza via Hillside Av Express, Queens Blvd Bypass, 63rd St Tunnel, Second Avenue Line, Atlantic Line, and Utica Av Line

Springfield/Hillside [F]
212th (off-peak) [F]
Francis Lewis [F]

197th (off-peak) [F]

188th (off-peak) [F]
Jamaica-179th [F]
169th St (off-peak) [F]
Parsons Blvd [F]
Sutphin Blvd (off-peak) [F]
Briarwood-Van Wyck (off-peak) [F]
Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike [E F]
Forest Hills-Austin St [E F M R]
Woodhaven Blvd [M R]

Woodside [7] LIRR

39th St-Sunnyside LIRR
21st St-Queensbridge [F]
Roosevelt Island [F]

60th [4 5 6 N R]

52nd [E M 6]

42nd [4 5 6 7 S] MNRR

34th

23rd

14th/3rd [L]

Houston/2nd [F M]

Grand [b D]

Chatham Sq

Seaport

Hanover Sq

Smith St

Atlantic Terminal [2 3 4 5 B D N Q R]

Nostrand Av

Utica Av

Crown Heights-Utica Av [3 4]
East New York Av
Linden Blvd
Clarendon Rd
Kings Hwy/Farragut Rd
Flatlands Av
Avenue N
Flatbush Av
Kings Plaza

what about extending the 2 and the 5 to kings plaza? and wasn't there something proposed like that a while back?

Yep. That would be the 1968 Program For Action.

That being said, Threxx is right. An extension down Nostrand would benefit more people, because it would take riders directly off of the overloaded B46. An extension to Kings Plaza is a half-baked attempt to combine a Utica Av Line and a Nostrand Av Line - you serve no one further down Nostrand, and no one on Utica north of Flatbush unless they go south to go back up north, so it basically misses the biggest chunks of subway-deprived ridership on both lines.

I propose an extension of the J/Z lines from it's current terminal in Jamaica Parsons/Archer to Queens Village. It will make stops at these locations:

Merrick Blvd-168 Street, 179th Street, Woodhull-Hollis Avenues, Francis Lewis Blvd, Hempstead Avenue, and Springfield Blvd.