Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most schematic maps tend to stick to 45 and 90 degree angles and roughly equal spacing between stations. On the real MTA maps, those are only used where the real tracks roughly follow those angles, cause it's geographic. And even then the geography is skewed to better depict the system. Manhattan is thin and narrow, not in any shape like it is in the real world.

Go look at the official London tube map. Then go look at a geographically based one. On both maps, find Wimbledon on the District Line, and then find South Wimbeldon on the Northern Line. If you look at the official map, they look like they're miles apart. If you look at the geographical map, you'd discover in reality, they're not even a mile apart, and that's following the streets. Walking wouldn't even take 20 minutes.

Most schematic maps tend to stick to 45 and 90 degree angles and roughly equal spacing between stations. On the real MTA maps, those are only used where the real tracks roughly follow those angles, cause it's geographic. And even then the geography is skewed to better depict the system. Manhattan is thin and narrow, not in any shape like it is in the real world.

Go look at the official London tube map. Then go look at a geographically based one. On both maps, find Wimbledon on the District Line, and then find South Wimbeldon on the Northern Line. If you look at the official map, they look like they're miles apart. If you look at the geographical map, you'd discover in reality, they're not even a mile apart, and that's following the streets. Walking wouldn't even take 20 minutes.

Yes, but (and this is particularly true in a grid-based city such as hours) you only introduce 45 and 90 degree curves where actually appropriate - London and Paris get away with so much because they don't run under actual grids. A general rule of thumb is to only put things in grid-based schematics where things actually happen - if 50th and 7th is east of 50th and 8th, then that should be reflected in the map as well. Likewise, 4th Av should not be curving so much in such an exaggerated way.

What I'm saying is official maps, made by transit providers,have taken geographic reality and tossed it out the window.

Even the current MTA maps. Not as bad as they used to be granted, but in relation to one another is the key. He hasn't placed 50th and broadway west of 50th and 8th.

Fussing about how a fantasy map is drawn seems kinda pointless.

'Messy' is the first word that springs to mind when I look at his proposal. Yes, I do like the idea of more lines into Queens, a four-track trunk line underneath Second Avenue and I also like the reasoning behind the various crosstown proposals. But there's so much interweaving/interference going on between all those lines...it would allow for flexible routing options and many one-seat rides. However, all service frequencies of lines running along the same stretch of track would have to be synchronized, which could lead to too many trains along one stretch and too few along another stretch, without any possibility to adjust the frequency of single routes appropiately.

A (U) from queens to the bronx? Closed the tab and laughed.

You mean that P line....

But yeah, OMG, I looked at that P line & said to myself "what the f***k is this shit".....

Far rockaway, via IND fulton, via south ferry, via 2nd av, running east-west in the southern portion of the bronx to throgs neck?

The Lex already has 3 lines & this guy's running four lines on the 2nd av line... Also, four lines along fulton av (brooklyn)..... smh....

His newer maps are a lot better, but if you don't like a lot of foam then I'd suggest not looking at it.

wish I would've saw this warning sooner....

Edited by B35 via Church

Guest Bonnetd0201

How about a shuttle that runs from Whitehall to old south ferry

Both stations been rehabilitated and the connections are in place

Whitehall is a 5 to 10 minute walk but in the winter it can be a pain

And why waste money closing this station down when it's in great condition and Whitehall is dusty but can work

How about a shuttle that runs from Whitehall to old south ferry

Both stations been rehabilitated and the connections are in place

Whitehall is a 5 to 10 minute walk but in the winter it can be a pain

And why waste money closing this station down when it's in great condition and Whitehall is dusty but can work

One, car length and safety due to curves.

Two, you're referring to the wrong station - Whitehall has a physical passageway to South Ferry.

and the  (N) extension to LaGuardia Airport and Astoria Blvd

LaGuardia Airport Q72 to Rego Park and  (7)  <7> at Junction Blvd

94th Street

Junction- Northern Blvd Q72 to Rego Park (7)  <7>

Warren-93rd Street Transfer to  (7)  <7>  at Junction Blvd

Corona Ave

Flushing-Meadows Park (Hall of Science)

College Point- Transfer to  (7)  <7>  at Main Street

My route is easier than waiting for a long time to catch the Q72 Rego Park/LaGuardia bus

then the  (MTA) should change the  (9) service into express if they decide to put the  (9) back.

the  (1) line is a local IRT. The  (9) should be a Express IRT for the  (9) . Thats what I think

Yeah well it's not the like (9) can have its own track for the entire course so it would be pointless as it saved no time at all.  It's one of those nothing you can do about it situations.  

It is better if the (9) doesn't come back. Part of the problem was that there were too many stations above 137th St that had high enough ridership to justify being all-stop stations (stations where both (1) and (9) trains stopped). You had three all-stop stations in a row at 191st, 181st and 168th Streets. You also had 231st Street, an all-stop station just two stops below 242nd Street, so the (1) also made three stops in a row at the start of its route. This was done because 231st is a major bus-subway transfer point for the many riders headed to/from Riverdale.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue