Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

What about a double decked structure, one track per level?

I actually thought of that for parts of the route, but that can also work, particularly in busier parts of Manhattan and where the streets are more narrow (with points the two tracks come together to allow for short turns when needed).

Also, any rebuilt 3rd Avenue El in Manhattan would likely be two tracks across, not three like the old version. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The basic issue with els is that most roadways are far too narrow to accommodate them without blocking out lots of sunlight and creating major barriers. Unless you can somehow reduce the physical profile of elevated track and stations (which isn't likely given that trains are neither getting smaller nor lighter), you will still run into this fundamental problem.

The last time someone thought sunlight was important, we got the Title One Slum Clearance Program and Robert Moses was the man to provide such a thing. Single level for a two-track line and double deck the structure for four tracks. Stronger structures CAN be built and lighter and stronger materials are always being developed. So-called "fundamental" problems should not stop progress. Train cars can also be redesigned and NYCT is looking for lighter car designs with the R179 being lighter than the R160. I think they know everything has a weight limit and are always looking for ways to save money. Every extra pound on a subway car is an extra dollar of power consumption a year.

You know what's funny? Paris considered that when planning its metro in the late 1800s. One design was double decked and another was triple decked. It was rejected due to it being too unattractive to the public.

The last time someone thought sunlight was important, we got the Title One Slum Clearance Program and Robert Moses was the man to provide such a thing. Single level for a two-track line and double deck the structure for four tracks. Stronger structures CAN be built and lighter and stronger materials are always being developed. So-called "fundamental" problems should not stop progress. Train cars can also be redesigned and NYCT is looking for lighter car designs with the R179 being lighter than the R160. I think they know everything has a weight limit and are always looking for ways to save money. Every extra pound on a subway car is an extra dollar of power consumption a year.

Tower in the park was a separate modernist idea. Even so, the EU has building codes that mandate sunlight levels in all parts of a building, but we all know how much Europe's urban life sucks <_< .

The last time someone thought sunlight was important, and keeping away elevated physical barriers from neighborhoods was important, highways were being torn down and either not replaced at all or replaced with tunnels. It's not like we have any sort of modern projects like that. Even el teardowns are still on the table.

Realistically speaking, els are not going to be lighter unless all the heavy NTTs retire, which is not for another 30-something years. You also have to remember that modern el structures are made with concrete, which is bulkier and blocks more sunlight, and also include profile-expanding things such as emergency walkways and such. If you look at elevated construction around the world, you'll notice that it tends to be in wide, multi-lane roads with giant medians, because those are the places where people tolerate them. Where do we hav a giant, multi-lane road with a giant median where there is no current or former parallel rail right-of-way?

You know what's funny? Paris considered that when planning its metro in the late 1800s. One design was double decked and another was triple decked. It was rejected due to it being too unattractive to the public.

I believe the Barcelona Metro has double-decked structures. There is a map of the system and most of Line 9 and Line 10 appear to be built that way. Wikipedia says it's mostly underground, but there are portions on viaducts.

http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-barcelona/

The switches between two tracks are interesting because they're essentially long ramps from one level to the other much like the ramps north of Bergen Street connecting the local (F) to Jay Street–MetroTech.

I know in my previous map post, I said I was going to show the system in the order of construction, but I've decided to overlay my system with  map of the existing system and show the consequences to the existing system. This will also showcase my latest, and hopefully final, changes to my proposal. And with playing with MS Paint, I learned how to show route bullets on the map so that navigation of the proposal is easier and more effective. I will play around some more and see if I can create some makeshift station ID examples as I have thought of what those would look like. I personally adore the IND way of things, so they will be in that style but simplified and designed to reflect the colors of the lines serving a particular station. I will also create a route service guide as well do denote changes. I just wish there was a way to be able to download the entire thing, but I don't know how.

I believe the Barcelona Metro has double-decked structures. There is a map of the system and most of Line 9 and Line 10 appear to be built that way. Wikipedia says it's mostly underground, but there are portions on viaducts.

The switches between two tracks are interesting because they're essentially long ramps from one level to the other much like the ramps north of Bergen Street connecting the local (F) to Jay Street–MetroTech.

According to Wikipedia and that map, 

FiDdgkz.png

this is the only elevated section on L9/10, which is not double-decked. The reason for the double decking is that L9/L10 share a tunnel-right-of-way but not the same tracks; thus, the same directions have to be on the same level so that people don't avoid taking L10 just because it's deeper. It's also because the stations are actually constructed inside the tunnel itself; the TBMs are 30 meters in diameter, which is about 90 feet give or take.

Cool site. I was just looking at the London Undeground, I see that some parts of the system, the trains travel on the right. Does anyone know why that is? I's it similar to The Rockefeller center Downtown Express/Local swap because it was easier/cheaper?

According to Wikipedia and that map, 

FiDdgkz.png

this is the only elevated section on L9/10, which is not double-decked. The reason for the double decking is that L9/L10 share a tunnel-right-of-way but not the same tracks; thus, the same directions have to be on the same level so that people don't avoid taking L10 just because it's deeper. It's also because the stations are actually constructed inside the tunnel itself; the TBMs are 30 meters in diameter, which is about 90 feet give or take.

The map wasn't too clear. Judging by how the lines are drawn, they're also not to-scale. I guess I'll have to visit Barcelona to find out what it's really like.

EDIT: This is the part I'm referring to. If it's really two tracks on two levels, then it's not apparent since the platforms are drawn like side platforms (à la 5 Avenue/53 Street).

52gldg.png

the TBMs are 30 meters in diameter, which is about 90 feet give or take.

Jesus! If we had a TBM like that creating the 2 Avenue right-of-way, we could have space left over for 4 tracks, with maybe 6 tracks in between certain stations for holding gap trains. 72 Street would have been 3 tracks easily if not 4. But of course, Europeans sink much more money into rail than their former colony across the pond. Edited by CenSin

New York City Subway rolling stock change of history (IRT A Division's R62, R62A, R142, and R142A car fleets)

325 R62 cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries between 1983 and 1985. They are all five-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 10-cars. Each R62 car is 51 feet long.

825 R62A cars were built by Bombardier between 1984 and 1987. They are all in five-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 10-cars. Each R62A car is 51 feet long.

1,030 R142 cars were built by Bombardier between 1999 and 2003. They are all in five-car sets, with full-width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 10-cars. Each R142 car is 51 feet long.

600 R142A cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries between 1999 and 2004. They are all in five-car sets, with full-width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 10-cars. Each R142A car is 51 feet long.

(A Division)

[Effective as of February 23, 2004]

(1): 360/410 R62A cars

(2): 340/390 R142 cars

(3): 260/315 R62 cars

(4): 220/250 R142 and 120/150 R142A cars

(5): 340/390 R142 cars

(6): 400/450 R142A cars

(7): 350/405 R62A cars

(S) 42nd Street Shuttle: 5/10 R62 and 5/10 R62A cars

Like all the other IRT A Division station platforms in terms of length and width, the entire IRT Flushing Line should have been feature the same exact thing from the very, very beginning.

Also, all of the R62s' side signages are also properly organized compared to those on the R62As. The R142 cars regularly maintained at both 239th Street and East 180th Street shops have been had combined the 2 / 5 strip maps from the very beginning.

(A Division facilities)

240th Street: The shop maintains the R62A cars #1651-2060 that are assigned to operate the 1.

239th Street and East 180th Street/Unionport: The shops at both facilities maintain the R142 cars #6310-7080 that are assigned to operate either the 2 or 5 at any given time.

Lenox Avenue: It is only a yard that stores about half of the R62 cars that are assigned to operate the 3.

Livonia Avenue: The shop maintains almost all R62 cars (#1301-1615) that are assigned to operate the 3. Some R142 and R142A cars that are assigned to operate the 4 are stored in the yard.

Jerome Avenue: The shop maintains the R142 cars #7081-7180 & 1101-1250 and R142A cars #7561-7810 that are assigned to operate the 4.

Westchester: The shop maintains the R62 cars #1616-1625 and R62A cars #2466-2475 that are assigned to operate the 42nd Street Shuttle, and R142A cars #7211-7560 that are assigned to operate the 6.

Corona: The shop maintains the R62A cars #2061-2465 that are assigned to operate the 7.

Edited by RollOver

New York City Subway rolling stock change of history (IND/BMT B Division's R32, R38, R40, R42, R44, R46, R68, R68A, R143, and R160 car fleets)

600 R32 cars were built by Budd Company between 1964 and 1965. Since July 2010, following the retirement of the mainline R44s, there are only 240 R32 cars left (222 in regular passenger service, 12 that should have not been doing work service but instead passenger service, 4 that should have not been persevered but instead passenger service, and two more others should have been in passenger service as well) . Each R32 car is 60 feet long.

200 R38 cars were built by Saint Louis Car Company between 1966 and 1967. They were 40-41 years old when they retired. Each R38 car is 60 feet long.

400 R40 cars (yes yes, the entire R40 fleet should have all been slants) were built by Saint Louis Car Company between 1967 and 1969. They were 40-42 years old when they retired. Each R40 car is 60 feet long.

400 R42 cars were built by Saint Louis Car Company between 1969 and 1970. Since July 2010, following the retirement of the mainline R44s, there are only 48 R42 cars left. Each R42 car is 60 feet long.

352 R44 cars (288 for the New York City Subway and 64 for the Staten Island Railway) were built by Saint Louis Car Company between 1971 and 1973. The cars on the New York City Subway were 37-39 years old when they retired. They are all in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. Each R44 car is 75 feet long.

752 R46 cars were built by Pullman Standard between 1975 and 1978. They are all in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. Each R46 car is 75 feet long.

424 R68 cars were built by Westinghouse Amrail Company between 1986 and 1988. Almost all of them are in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. The last 8 cars built, assigned to operate the Franklin Avenue Shuttle, are in two-car sets with full width cabs also at both end cars. Each R68 car is 75 feet long.

200 R68A cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries between 1988 and 1989. They are all in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. Each R68A car is 75 feet long.

216 R143 cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries between 2001 and 2004. They are all in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. Each R143 car is 60 feet long.

1,816 R160 cars were built between 2005 and 2010 – 1,146 cars by Alstom and 670 cars by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. All 376 R160A-1s (with the Alstom propulsion motor system) are in four-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 8-cars. All 770 R160A-2s (also with the Alstom propulsion motor system) and 670 R160Bs (all of them should have been had the Siemens motor propulsion motor system) are in five-car sets, with full width cabs at both end cars and can provide One Person Train Operation or make up a train of 10-cars. Each R160 car is 60 feet long.

(B Division)

[Effective as of July 1, 2010 (or should I say, effective as of September 15, 2014)]

(A): 190/240 R32 and 152/192 R46 cars

(C): 144/192 R46 cars

(E): 260/310 R160A-2 cars

(B): 104/128 R68 and 104/128 R68A cars

(D): 240/288 R68 cars

(F): 48 R46 and 400/460 R160A-2 cars

(M): 184/224 R160A-1 cars

(G): 52/72 R68A cars

(J) / (Z): 48 R42 and 112/152 R160A-1 cars

(L): 176/220 R143 cars

(N): 240/290 R160B cars

(Q): 230/280 R160B cars

(R): 232/296 R46 cars

(W): 100 R160B cars

(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle: 4/8 R68 cars

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle: 12/24 R46 cars

(B Division facilities)

Pitkin Avenue: The shop maintains the R46 cars #5482-5865 (that are assigned to operate either the A or C at any given time) and #5866-5897 (that are assigned to operate either the S Rockaway Park Shuttle). Some R32 cars that are assigned to operate the A are stored in the yard.

Rockaway Park: It is only a yard that stores some cars that are assigned to operate the A and the S Rockaway Park Shuttle, respectively.

Coney Island: The shop maintains the R68 cars #2778-2916 and R68A cars #5001-5128 that are assigned to operate the B, R68A cars #5129-5200 that are assigned to operate the G, all 670 of Kawasaki’s R160B cars that are assigned to operate either the N, Q or W at any given time, and R68 cars #2917-2924 that are assigned to operate the S Franklin Avenue Shuttle. About half of the R68 cars that are assigned to operate the D, as well as about half of the R46 and R160A-2 cars that are assigned to operate the F, are stored in the yard.

Jamaica: The shop maintains all of Alstom’s 770 R160A-2 cars that are assigned to operate either the E or F at any given time, and R46 cars #5898-5945 and #5946-6258 that are assigned to operate the F & R respectively.

East New York: The shop maintains the remaining R42 cars #4788-4817 and #4820-4837 that are assigned to operate the J/Z, all 376 of Alstom’s R160A-1 cars that are assigned to operate either the J/Z or M at any given time, and all 220 R143 cars that are assigned to operate the L.

Fresh Pond: It is only a yard that stores about half of the R160A-1 cars that are assigned to operate the M.

Canarsie: It is only a yard that stores some or most R143 cars that are assigned to operate the L. It also has a car wash for any cars that are regularly maintained at East New York’s shop, not just the R143 cars.

(Facilities in both A and B divisions)

207th Street: The shop maintains the remaining R32 cars #3350-3529 that are assigned to operate the A. The yard stores some R46 cars that are assigned to operate either the A or C at any given time.

Grand Concourse: The shop maintains the R68 cars #2500-2777 that are assigned to operate the D. Some R68 and R68A cars that are assigned to operate the B, along with some R142 and R142A cars that are assigned to operate the 4, are stored in the yard.

--I'll also pretend as if the Second Avenue Subway stations at 125th, 116th, 106th, 96th, 86th, 72nd Streets and the connection between the BMT 63rd Street Line and the BMT Broadway Express tracks have been opened since July 1st, 2010 following on-time performance.

--As you can see, I have merged the 126 R188s, 9 R110Bs and 10 R110As (including 1 single R68 car and a pair of R46 cars as well as 6 R179 cars) into the R160 car fleet order. So 1,662 + 126 + 9 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 1,816 R160 cars built.

--So that also means only 294 R179 cars will be built (240 in 10-cars in sets of five and 54 in 8-cars in sets of four), and they'll retire the remaining 240 R32 cars and 48 R42 cars.

--Once the remaining R32s are retired from service, the 10-car R179 sets (and the R46s in general) can be shared on the A or C at any given time, since the R46s and R179s both have electric side signages.

--I know I've lowered the R32s' spare ratio, but since I've changed the A's off-peak headways (as I've been stating time after time in this thread), it really wouldn't matter. All R32s operate to and from the Rockaways; one R46 set operates to and from Far Rockaway depending on the schedule and headway, the rest of the R46s operate to and from Lefferts. At night, the A would still be relatively half R32s and half R46s (all operating to and from the Rockaways) while the overnight-only Lefferts shuttle and the daytime-only C train are entirely R46s.

--I'll list how the Hurricane Sandy car assignment affections should have been some other time, as well as the car assignments implemented in late February 2004, as well as the car assignment during the Montague Street closure.

--The R46s on the F only operate during rush hours (three of them from Jamaica to Coney Island and the other three sets from Coney Island to Jamaica, and that's it). Otherwise, you'll find nothing but R160A-2s on the F line.

--Half of the spare R trains are stored at Jamaica yard and the other half of the spare R trains are stored at the Bay Ridge tail tracks south of the station (that I've said before) or City Hall layup tracks if necessary. Half of the spare M trains are stored at Jamaica yard and the other half of the spare M trains are stored at Fresh Pond. Half of the spare F trains are stored on the Hillside Avenue express tracks and the other half of the spare F trains are stored at Coney Island yard (or Church Avenue yard if necessary). I've already extended the G two stops south to 18 Avenue, which is what the MTA should have been implemented from the very, very beginning.

--The remaining R32s and R42s are prohibited from running anywhere else other than the A and J/Z respectively.

--Jamaica's R160s are prohibited from running on the R except when the Montague Street Tube is shut down full-time (like it was between August 2013 and mid-September 2014).

--The remaining R42s on the J/Z operate at any given time like in reality.

--The remaining R32s on the A do not need to run if the line is shut down north of 168th or south of Howard Beach-JFK or if the line is split into two sections.

--More of my changes of history coming sooner or later. I'm also working on the timetables myself, for each and every line, based on my previous changes of history in the past pages of this thread.

Edited by RollOver

I think a double-decked structure above or below ground provides a distinct advantage: flagging will only affect one level, allowing trains on other levels to run at full speed. The alternative is to build much wider tunnels, elevated structures, or to physically partition the tracks so that they are isolated. This partitioning is automatic for current tunneling since each tunnel carries only one track.

Elevated structures would almost always require stacking to achieve the same results as wide roads suitable for building a subway over are few in number. Partitions are unlikely to be installed for track centers less than 25 feet apart. Most Manhattan streets are 60 feet wide with major streets (like 14 Street) and most avenues being 100 feet wide. I expect most Brooklyn roads to be similar, and Queens roads to be narrower. Modern island platforms are 30 feet in width, and side platforms are 20 feet in width. Trackways are 10 feet wide with an extra 5 feet margin for wayside equipment and track workers. For an island platform station, the width or the elevated structure would be about 60 feet, effectively eclipsing the street. A stacked side platform station would be 35 feet wide, leaving 12~15 feet on each side of the street.

Okay, here's the car assignment for the aforementioned Montague Street Tube closure:

[between August 3, 2013 and September 15, 2014]

(A): 190/240 R32 and 152/192 R46 cars

(F): 280/328 R46 and 110 R160A-2 cars

(L): 176/220 R143 cars

(R): Queens & Manhattan section uses 170 R160A-2 cars (service)/16 R46 and 20 R160A-2 cars (standby as spares); Brooklyn section uses 120/160 R160A-2 cars

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle: 12/24 R46 cars

In my world, there is an X diamond crossover right before the BMT Broadway local tracks split into three (and then arrive at Whitehall Street-South Ferry). This way, it would have allowed the R and W trains to swap cars (if necessary) with no problem at any given time. Remember, the weekday Brooklyn R's fleet was maintained at Coney Island's shop. So that means that it didn't really matter if Jamaica and Coney Island had to sometimes mix their R160s here and there. However, the W is only allowed to use the middle track at Whitehall Street-South Ferry (when Montague is open) to originate/terminate. At the same time, the car assignment roster is reverted back to its July 1st, 2010 implementation (when Montage returned).

Edited by RollOver

Oops, I think I noticed two errors...

I meant to say that the (L) does indeed have 220 R143 cars for its entire fleet. As for the R179s, I meant to say 288 of those cars will be built in the order. Therefore, 240 R32s + 48 R42 = 288 older SMEE cars total, which will be replaced by the 288 R179 cars built.

Read this for more information: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/24490-subway-proposalsideas-thread/?p=832489

Edited by RollOver

The map wasn't too clear. Judging by how the lines are drawn, they're also not to-scale. I guess I'll have to visit Barcelona to find out what it's really like.

EDIT: This is the part I'm referring to. If it's really two tracks on two levels, then it's not apparent since the platforms are drawn like side platforms (à la 5 Avenue/53 Street).

Jesus! If we had a TBM like that creating the 2 Avenue right-of-way, we could have space left over for 4 tracks, with maybe 6 tracks in between certain stations for holding gap trains. 72 Street would have been 3 tracks easily if not 4. But of course, Europeans sink much more money into rail than their former colony across the pond.

According to Wikipedia, L9 and L10 will be running in separate tunnels and the L10 section i screenshotted is the only elevated section, but that depends on how reliable Wikipedia is.

Big TBMs like that are actually cheaper since you don't need to make station caverns. The only issue is that the bigger a TBM gets, the more likely it is to encounter uneven geology and break itself due to differences in pressure. Just look at the troubles surrounding the Bertha TBM in Seattle.

Damn, a few more things I should have added to post #3387...

-All of the 752 R46s have been had dark spotted floors similar to all the other SMEEs as well as the NTTs.

-None of the seats in the SMEEs should be changed to look like those on the NTTs at all.

-All of the original route bullet side signages on the R68s and R68As should have remained the same from the very beginning as well.

-Same goes for the R42s.

-The side destination signages remain the same as they are now on the R42s, R68s and R68As (properly organized like the R62s and R62As).

-The R32s and R68As should have kept their original hauling propulsion motor systems. The upgraded ones on the R62As and R68s can stay as they are now.

-Every R38s should have the same propulsion motor systems like those on the R62s, R40s, and R46s.

-The SIR R44s should have had the same propulsion motor systems like the NYCS counterparts.

Let me do my math one last time just to make sure:

In reality, 754 R46, 425 R68, 10 R110As, 9 R110Bs, 212 R143, 1,662 R160, 126 R188 and 300 R179 cars were built.

In my world, I've merged two R46 cars, one R68 car and one R110A car into the R143 order. So that means 212 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 216 R143 cars built. Also, I've merged the rest of the R110A and R110B fleets (as well as the 126 R188 cars and 10 out of the 300 R179 cars) into the R160 order. So that means 1,662 + 9 + 9 + 126 + 10 = 1,816 R160 cars built (376 R160A-1 and 770 R160A-2 cars with the Alstom propulsion motor systems and 670 R160B cars with the Siemens propulsion motor system). Also, there are only 240 R32 and 48 R42 cars left, so that means 240 + 48 = 288 older SMEE cars left. The R179 order will consist of 290 cars (240 in 10-cars in sets of five and 48 in 8-cars in sets of four, with 2 more cars in addition) to replace the remaining aforementioned older SMEE cars left in service that are running well past the average life expectancy of a NYCS car. Afterwards, the A and C (and even the Rock Park shuttle) can swap cars with no problem at any given time, since they all share the same yard and the R46s and R179s have electric side signages.

Now here's the Hurricane Sandy-related affections that was implemented in late November 2012:

(A): 140/215 R32 and 192/256 R46 cars

(H): 15/25 R32 cars

(F): 48 R46 and 400/460 R160A-2 cars

(L): 176/216 R143 cars

(R): Forest Hills-Canal St portion uses 112/152 R46 cars and 64/104 R46 cars

• A trains operate to/from Lefferts Blvd and Howard Beach only (no Rockaways service).

• G service does not operate between Court Sq and Nassau Av.

• H Peninsula Shuttle trains operate between Beach 90 St and Far Rockaway, with two 5-car trains of R32’s in service and two others on standby as spares. The S Rockaway Park Shuttle does not operate.

• J/Z service does not operate between Chambers and Broad Streets.

• The R operates in two segments:

1. Between Forest Hills-71 Av and Canal St.

2. Between Jay Street-MetroTech and Bay Ridge-95 St.

Also, a few of Jamaica’s R46s were moved to Pitkin due to a few of the remaining 240 R32 cars being sent to the Rockaways for the temporary H shuttle service.

Now here's the one that was implemented in late December 2012:

A: 190/240 R32 and 152/192 R46 cars

C: 144/192 R46 cars

E: 260/310 R160A-2 cars

H: 12/24 R46 cars

B: 104/128 R68 and 104/128 R68A cars

D: 240/288 R68 cars

F: 48 R46 and 400/460 R160A-2 cars

M: 184/224 R160A-1 cars

G: 52/72 R68A cars

J/Z: 48 R42 and 112/152 R160A-1 cars

L: 176/216 R143 cars

N: 240/290 R160B cars

Q: 230/280 R160B cars

R: 232/296 R46 cars

W: 100 R160B cars

S Franklin Avenue Shuttle: 4/8 R68 cars

Reflects the following changes following Hurricane Sandy:

• Regular G service has been restored through the Greenpoint Tubes, operating between Court Sq and Church Av.

• Regular J/Z service has been restored at Fulton and Broad Sts, operating between Jamaica Center and Broad St.

• Regular R service has been restored through the Montague Tubes, operating between Forest Hills-71 Av and Bay Ridge-95 St.

• A trains operate to/from Lefferts Blvd and Howard Beach only (no Rockaways service). This reduces peak requirements by two trains compared to the picked timetable.

• The four 5-car R32 trainsets have been replaced with four 4-car R46 trainsets. H Peninsula Shuttle trains operate between Beach 90 Street and Far Rockaway, with two 4-car R46 trainsets in service and two others on standby as spares. Full-time OPTO service begins on December 24, 2012 on the H Peninsula Shuttle. The S Rockaway Park Shuttle does not operate. The R32's operate only in A service.

The change had then lasted until about/around 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. on Friday, May 31, 2013, (not Thursday, May 30, 2013) when the A returned to/from the Rockaways as well as the restoration of the Rock Park shuttle and the discontinuation of the H.

Edited by RollOver

Oops, I should have also said that between late November and late December back in 2012, the Jay St-Bay Ridge (R) portion had 15 trains of R46s total, but only 10 were in service (10 minute waits between trains). At the same time, the weekday-only (W) turned at Canal with the northern (R) (10 to 12 trains an hour combined on both lines). I gotta simply take my time before posting. I had to leave home since I didn't have much time. Also, the (A) still used 38 trainsets (not 36), and there are indeed 50 R42s (not 48), according to my math. Lastly, between late November 2012 and late December 2012, the (A) used 140/215 R32s and 192/240 R46s (not 192/256 R46s).

Edited by RollOver

• 2 weeks later...

11289591_1586340191632922_1039353515_n.j

This is how the track layout between 18 Avenue and Ditmas Avenue on the IND Culver Line should have been designed. As I previously said, (G) trains should have been extended two stops south to/from 18 Avenue from the very, very beginning. See these links below for more information:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/24490-subway-proposalsideas-thread/?p=831620

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/24490-subway-proposalsideas-thread/?p=831701

11350263_1586340204966254_1702809684_n.j

This is south of 59th Street-Columbus Circle on the IND Eighth Avenue Line. This is also how it should have been designed. I'll also do a similar illustration for the BMT Broadway Line north of 57th Street-7th Avenue and east of Franklin Avenue on the IRT Eastern Parkway Line respectively.

11267158_1586340221632919_921014908_n.jp

This is how the track layout between 145th Street and 135th Street on the IRT Lenox Avenue Line should have been designed. That way, the 145th Street could have been a full-length 510 feet long station (like all other stations on the IRT A Division). Oh, and there wouldn't be a need for a three-track layout at 135th Street. The entire IRT Lenox Avenue Line is two-tracks only. Directly to the east of 148th Street is an X diamond crossover in my world, instead of one directly to the north of 145th Street in reality.

More of my history changes to come sooner or later.

Edited by RollOver

I don't think the (G) should be extended past church ave the ridership over south of Culver is low unless you want the (G) to get its trains to coney island yard easier

If you read my all of my previous history changes in the previous pages of this thread, you would understand all of my reasons. My (G) Extension to 18th Ave has nothing to do with ridership.

Btw, my photo pictures got messed up for some reason. I'll address that issue some other time. But I don't think I will anyway, it's just a history change.

If you read my all of my previous history changes in the previous pages of this thread, you would understand all of my reasons. My (G) Extension to 18th Ave has nothing to do with ridership.

Btw, my photo pictures got messed up for some reason. I'll address that issue some other time. But I don't think I will anyway, it's just a history change.

then what's the point in extending the (G) train it's jus going to delay (F) train service unless you're sending it express

then what's the point in extending the (G) train it's jus going to delay (F) train service unless you're sending it express

I'm not going to repeat the same history changes over and over again, nor will I get into any more arguments with you. You're just some new member anyway. Either you go back and read or just post your own ideas instead and ignore my posts.

Edited by RollOver

then what's the point in extending the (G) train it's just going to delay (F) train service unless you're sending it express