Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowadays, they need to be looking into getting their advertising partners (CBS Outfront, Clear Channel) on board with more digital ads like the ones on the On the Go machines. Not that it'll make that much of a difference, but still.

Ah! I see what you’re after now. And it makes sense.

I should have drawn my Rogers Junction proposal alot more properly and better than I just did. Directly just north of President Street, both pair of tracks split into four actually. That's how I should have drawn it. Everything else in my Rogers Junction drawing is the same however.

As I said previously about southbound at Franklin Avenue, southbound (2) and (5) trains (for example) arrive and leave at the same time, but only one of them gets held in the middle of the tunnel to let the other proceed straight into President Street first. This way, no other southbound trains behind are delayed, giving much better flexibility and capacity along the whole Brooklyn IRT.

Likewise, heading northbound (for another example), a (5) leaving President Street may get held directly near Franklin Avenue to let the (4) fly into the station first, right before the (5) proceeds into following the (4) ahead of it. At the same time, a (2) following behind can wait near the junction merging area where the (3) is leaving Nostrand Avenue and on its way to Franklin Avenue, right before the (2) can proceed into following the (3) ahead of it. All of this basically keeps trains moving through Rogers Junction at a fast pace (with a few minor delays of course).

And with Flatbush Avenue set up as a four-track terminal with three island platforms (with the innermost two tracks being in full-time regular service and the outermost two tracks being used in rush hour-only service) as well as tail tracks directly to the south of the station, there would be no need to send any (2) nor (5) trains to/from Utica nor New Lots Avenues.

I'll draw (and then post) how Flatbush Avenue should have been set up some other time.

Edited by RollOver

Right. During rush hours, the (4) and (5) run every 4-6 minutes (12 trains an hour) in both directions; the (2) also has that same exact headway coming from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the AM rush and coming from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the PM rush. However, it runs 9 trains an hour coming from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the AM rush and coming from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the PM rush. The (3) also has that same exact headway in both directions during the AM and PM rushes.

11169826_1571414179792190_42280695142036

Take a good look at this very carefully. This is the DeKalb Avenue junction between the Manhattan Bridge and the DeKalb Avenue station complex. This is how the DeKalb Avenue junction should have been built. The Manhattan Bridge south tracks basically becomes the Fourth Avenue express tracks, going straight the entire way, instead of splitting at a flying junction and turning slightly like in reality. The only trains that should be splitting at a flying junction in this junction area are the (D) and (Q), and that's it.

Here's a clear example:

If southbound (B) and (Q) trains arrive at the same time, only one of them has to get held first. The former proceeds while the latter waits. This way, it allows the southbound (N) to pass through on the innermost track uninterrupted. However, it may get held by a southbound (D). Whichever one gets held first is all up to the tower, depending on whether any of these trains are early or late. But no other southbound trains coming from either side of the Manhattan Bridge will get affected. The problems would only be isolated to the Brighton Line trains and the Fourth Avenue express trains respectively, as I had just drawn in the picture above.

Likewise, heading northbound, if a (B) stops at DeKalb Avenue station while at the same the (D) passes it, one of them may have to wait at the junction area. If the (D) gets ahead first, then the (B) has to wait in the tunnel (not at the station). This way, it allows the northbound (Q) train to enter the station without a delay. At the same time, a northbound (N) passes the station and the (Q) would have to wait in the middle of the tunnel on the flying junction track (as I had drawn).

11000827_1571414219792186_71932159956129

This is how Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) south station terminal should have been built. Four tracks, three island platforms, and tail tracks south of the station. Each tail track to the south of the terminal stores about 7 trains each. Remember, as I previously proposed, the (2) and (5) each run every 10 minutes during the off-peak (between the hours of approximately about/around 9 AM or 10 AM and 2 PM or 3 PM, as well as the hours between 7 PM or 8 PM and 11 PM or 12 Midnight), but the rush hour frequencies are not affected however. So this basically means that, towards the end of rush hour or by the end of rush hour, "every other train" is eventually removed from service and stored on the tail tracks.

The combined off-peak headways on the (2) and (5) (as I previously said in my off-peak headway proposal) is 12 trains per hour. But for rush hours, however, the combined headways are up to 24 trains per hour (coming from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the AM rush and back from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the PM rush) or 21 trains per hour (coming from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the AM rush and back from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the PM rush).

Please stay tune for the rest of my proposals sooner or later.

(G) Extension to 18 Avenue

This has been in my mind all day long. It should have been extended two stops south to 18 Avenue from the very, very beginning. Here's I can describe how the track layout between Ditmas Avenue and 18 Avenue should be instead of what it is now: Directly to the south of Ditmas Avenue should have been an X diamond switch between the southbound local track and the center express track; directly to the north of 18 Avenue should have also been a diamond switch between the center track and the northbound local track.

Southbound (G) trains switch over to the middle track right after Ditmas Avenue and end at 18 Avenue. It clears all of its passengers out on the Coney Island-bound platform and closes its doors. It then reopens its doors on the Manhattan-bound platform, picks up passengers and then waits for its scheduled departure time. Afterwards, it switches over to the local track and continues on its way northbound towards Ditmas Avenue and so on.

Also, let's say if there's two southbound (G) trains back to back. The first one sits at 18 Avenue as it does what I just mention above. The second one, on the other hand, waits outside of the station for its leader to clear. This allows (F) trains to continue through on the local track without any interruption and keeps them moving at a fast pace.

I really do think the (MTA) can certainly install and implement this in the foreseeable future. Who knows. I believe this is alot more sensible too. (G) trains no longer have to relay nor cause major delays to the very frequent weekday (F) service, as the (F) runs 12-15 tph during rush hours and 8-9 tph during middays & evenings. The (G) runs 8-9 tph during rush hours and 6 tph during middays & evenings. So the combined rush hour headways are about 20-24 tph during rush hours and the combined midday & evening headways are about 15 tph.

Fumigating and relaying (G) trains delay the (F) pretty bad in the current setup at Church Avenue during weekdays, as there can also be two other (G) trains still at the relay south of Church Avenue.

11169826_1571414179792190_42280695142036

Take a good look at this very carefully. This is the DeKalb Avenue junction between the Manhattan Bridge and the DeKalb Avenue station complex. This is how the DeKalb Avenue junction should have been built. The Manhattan Bridge south tracks basically becomes the Fourth Avenue express tracks, going straight the entire way, instead of splitting at a flying junction and turning slightly like in reality. The only trains that should be splitting at a flying junction in this junction area are the (D) and (Q), and that's it.

Here's a clear example:

If southbound (B) and (Q) trains arrive at the same time, only one of them has to get held first. The former proceeds while the latter waits. This way, it allows the southbound (N) to pass through on the innermost track uninterrupted. However, it may get held by a southbound (D). Whichever one gets held first is all up to the tower, depending on whether any of these trains are early or late. But no other southbound trains coming from either side of the Manhattan Bridge will get affected. The problems would only be isolated to the Brighton Line trains and the Fourth Avenue express trains respectively, as I had just drawn in the picture above.

Likewise, heading northbound, if a (B) stops at DeKalb Avenue station while at the same the (D) passes it, one of them may have to wait at the junction area. If the (D) gets ahead first, then the (B) has to wait in the tunnel (not at the station). This way, it allows the northbound (Q) train to enter the station without a delay. At the same time, a northbound (N) passes the station and the (Q) would have to wait in the middle of the tunnel on the flying junction track (as I had drawn).

This is how Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) south station terminal should have been built. Four tracks, three island platforms, and tail tracks south of the station. Each tail track to the south of the terminal stores about 7 trains each. Remember, as I previously proposed, the (2) and (5) each run every 10 minutes during the off-peak (between the hours of approximately about/around 9 AM or 10 AM and 2 PM or 3 PM, as well as the hours between 7 PM or 8 PM and 11 PM or 12 Midnight), but the rush hour frequencies are not affected however. So this basically means that, towards the end of rush hour or by the end of rush hour, "every other train" is eventually removed from service and stored on the tail tracks.

The combined off-peak headways on the (2) and (5) (as I previously said in my off-peak headway proposal) is 12 trains per hour. But for rush hours, however, the combined headways are up to 24 trains per hour (coming from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the AM rush and back from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the PM rush) or 21 trains per hour (coming from Brooklyn to the Bronx in the AM rush and back from the Bronx to Brooklyn in the PM rush).

You have to remember that the DeKalb Avenue junction was built when only the BRT/BMT ran this section. The original was a lot more inefficient. The current version was built as part of preparations for 2nd Avenue service using this section as per the 1944-1945 plan.

No one back in the days of privatized operation could have had the foresight to know the city would eventually build and operate their own subway which would eventually be connected to the BMT. You can't fault them for that. In the case of Flatbush, the line was never supposed to end there. Again, you can't fault them for that.

Basically, all of my proposals are a change of history for the current NYCS, specifically all of the bottlenecks. I'll start reading the history of each and every New York City Subway line on Wikipedia, and then I'll come to another conclusion. I think they should have never made the (V) nor (W) to begin with, and I think they should have been re-routed the current (M) to Midtown and Queens Blvd when the (F) got re-routed to 63rd.

Basically, all of my proposals are a change of history for the current NYCS, specifically all of the bottlenecks. I'll start reading the history of each and every New York City Subway line on Wikipedia, and then I'll come to another conclusion. I think they should have never made the (V) nor (W) to begin with, and I think they should have been re-routed the current (M) to Midtown and Queens Blvd when the (F) got re-routed to 63rd.

Kinda like my proposals lol. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

What if when the (Q) goes uptown the y(W) is not revived because it takes money to run trains that why they cut the lines in 2010 and bus routes

I know that. Please wait for my next round of proposals, as I'm currently going over the car assignments and the history of the NYCS system. As I said previously, all of my proposals are a change of history. The NYCS is overall the same, except a few changes, especially the bottlenecks.

Edited by RollOver

You have to remember that the DeKalb Avenue junction was built when only the BRT/BMT ran this section. The original was a lot more inefficient. The current version was built as part of preparations for 2nd Avenue service using this section as per the 1944-1945 plan.

No one back in the days of privatized operation could have had the foresight to know the city would eventually build and operate their own subway which would eventually be connected to the BMT. You can't fault them for that. In the case of Flatbush, the line was never supposed to end there. Again, you can't fault them for that.

I don't think the DeKalb junction was really inefficient when it was constructed. People tend to forget that the BRT/BMT had a major terminal and junction west of DeKalb/Flatbush at Sands Street. That location handled Myrtle, Lexington, Fulton, and 5th Avenue lines that terminated at Sands Street, the Brooklyn Ferry, or Park Row. I think that the city's demolition of the Fifth Avenue line after the takeover of the BMT meant that more service was funneled into the 4th Avenue lines and added to the congestion at DeKalb. With the closing of Park Row and the demolition of Sands St terminal all BMT service in the southern division ran into or through DeKalb toward Manhattan. Brighton/ 4th Ave " Banker's Specials", 5th Ave, West End, Brighton locals, BMT Culver trains, Brighton, Sea Beach, West End expresses. You're 100% correct. No one could have foreseen that amount of train traffic when DeKalb was constructed. Carry on.

I don't think the DeKalb junction was really inefficient when it was constructed. People tend to forget that the BRT/BMT had a major terminal and junction west of DeKalb/Flatbush at Sands Street. That location handled Myrtle, Lexington, Fulton, and 5th Avenue lines that terminated at Sands Street, the Brooklyn Ferry, or Park Row. I think that the city's demolition of the Fifth Avenue line after the takeover of the BMT meant that more service was funneled into the 4th Avenue lines and added to the congestion at DeKalb. With the closing of Park Row and the demolition of Sands St terminal all BMT service in the southern division ran into or through DeKalb toward Manhattan. Brighton/ 4th Ave " Banker's Specials", 5th Ave, West End, Brighton locals, BMT Culver trains, Brighton, Sea Beach, West End expresses. You're 100% correct. No one could have foreseen that amount of train traffic when DeKalb was constructed. Carry on.

From what I understand, the BMT actually ran into the problem fairly early on; in fact, before Hylan came in and stopped co-operating with the two private companies, the BMT planned to build the Ashland Place Connection between the Fulton El and DeKalb, but the plans sort of died once they connected the Brighton Line and realized even that was too much for DeKalb to handle, and Hylan's attitude only helped kill that plan even faster.

I'm batting around a plan, without an eye to cost, for using bits of commuter rail to run new 2nd Av services:

bp7VZ92.jpg

(As I am graphically challenged, forgive the amateur hour visual accompaniment)

(Q): Coney Island to Wakefield (or Mt Vernon) via the Metro-North Harlem Line

(T): Kings Plaza to 125th & Broadway (or just Park) via Utica Ave & the LIRR Atlantic Branch

New, blue, (V): Valley Stream to Bayside (or wherever) via Northern Blvd & the LIRR Port Washington Branch

I see a number of issues with this like getting from Hanover Sq to Atlantic Terminal (I'd like to send the T & V through the Montague Tunnel but there'd be a whole mess of capacity constraints to that) & that these are pretty long routes (which could be mitigated by keeping Nostrand Ave as the only intermediate stop between Atlantic-Barclays & East New York) but it'd be adding service to some of the densest areas not served by the subway as well as new trains to far eastern Queens.

You have to remember what was going on construction-wise when the V and W were created, along with their reasons for the existence. In July 2001 when the north tracks of the Manhattan Bridge were closed off for the final stage of renovations, there needed to be some service to replace the B via West End. Rather than repeating the 1986 pattern with separate B and D lines, a service pattern that was supposed to last for only six months, they decided the new Broadway/West End service would be labelled something else. Similarly, while in theory, the current M could have started running in December 2001, taking the M off the 4th Ave/West End line during the Manhattan Bridge closure would have been more harmful then that is was when the service was eliminated in 2010. Riders used the M during that time as a substitute for lost 6th Ave/West End service.

After the Bridge fully reopened in 2004, I'm sure they could have implemented the current service with the M if someone had the foresight, but I don't see why they would've removed the W from the roster unless they had to. For a long while, they wanted to add some kind of supplemental Astoria/Broadway service, but almost 20 years of bridge reconstruction put that idea on hold.

Alright, so the (W) part is probably better. I believe the whole reason why many disliked the current Broadway setup is because the (N)(Q) arrangement in Manhattan, as CenSin pointed out a couple months ago. From my own experience ridding the (N), while the 5 local stops along Broadway north of Canal Street have relatively higher ridership, it doesn't look like Bay Ridge and Sea Beach riders overwhelmingly want those stops. I agree with him that it's better for the weekday (N) to run express on both Fourth Avenue and Broadway via the Manhattan Bridge for the sake of simplicity given the track layout.

At the same time, the weekday-only (W) is there to supplement it on Astoria and the (R) on Broadway. They also should have been install a punch box at the south end of 5th Avenue and the north end of either Times Square or 57th Street, so the weekday (N) can skip 49th Street. I know it wouldn't make much of a difference, but still. The (R) is perfectly fine by itself on Fourth Avenue at all times because hardly any delays occur northbound in Brooklyn and almost all the local customers dump it for the (N) express on both Broadway and Fourth Avenue. They should have also been tail tracks south of 95th Street in both directions to store trains there, just in case the next southbound (R) is 20-25 minutes away or so.

SAS is perfectly fine for the (Q), as it keeps it on the express track the entire way along Broadway. At night, however, yes it should remain local along Broadway to help the (N) and reduce transfers. And yes, after the whole Manhattan Bridge project was finished, the (V) should have been long dead and the current (M) should have been long implemented. I have no problems with the (W) for all the reasons mention time after time.

Yes, in retrospect the current (M) should have been done in 2004, but there were massive arguments about that elsewhere (including one person on another board who got extremely upset at losing his (V) at 2nd Avenue because the (F) was overcrowded).

Maybe if the 1976 budget cuts didn't occur, we would have the (K) run similar to todays (M) (obviously). However, that would make a minor shift in the subway today:

The (Z) might not exist with the (K) in the Jamaica El, but still could exist as the (Z) is a different form of the (J).

The (K) might extend to Canarsie to let the (J) and (Z) go express to Bway Junction.

(M) still goes to Bay Parkway and the Nassau line.

If the (K) was still alive, it likely would run between forest hills and Canarsie using the (V) schedule. Evenings, all service would end at Bway junction.

It might be possible to run 4 lines on the Jamaica El, but at the same time, would it hurt the (J) and (Z)? The world may never know......

What you noted might very well have worked, though I suspect what would have happened is the (K) would have been full-time from Canarsie to 71st-Continental weekdays as the (M) does now (though select (K) trains probably would have terminated at Atlantic Avenue during rush hours) and late nights and weekends (when the (B) was not running its full route) to 57th Street-6th Avenue and later 21st-Queensbridge until late 2001 when the (F) became the full-time route through there.  Beginning with late 2001, the (K) would probably continue to go to 71st-Continental and possibly at all times.

We'd probably see the (J) and (Z) as we do now, with both lines running peak direction express to Eastern Parkway/Broadway Junction.

Agree on the (M) running as we saw it before 2010.

I felt the need to re-edit how the off-peak headways should have been from the very beginning. Also, I added how the service patterns should have been from the very beginning too. Please excuse this.

-Weekend headways on the 1 and 6 are decreased to 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes.
-Midday and evening headways on the 2, 3, 4, and 5 are decreased to 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes.
-Weekend headways on the 2 and 3 increased to 10 minutes instead of 12 minutes.
-Weekend headways on the 4 decreased to 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes.
-Weekend headways on the 5 decreased to 10 minutes instead of 10-15 minutes.
-Headways on the 7, L and the S 42nd Street Shuttle should always remain 5 minutes for the entire midday, evening and weekend time frames.
-Midday, evening and Saturday headways on the A are decreased to 10 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes (west of Rockaway Boulevard) and 20 minutes instead of 15-20 minutes (east of Rockaway Boulevard).
-Saturday headways on the E are decreased to 10 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes.
-Evening weekday and late evening weekend headways on the R increased to 10 minutes instead of 12 minutes.
-Midday, evening and weekend headways on the S Rockaway Park Shuttle are decreased to 20 minutes instead of 15-20 minutes.
-Headways on all other lines should always remain 10 minutes for the entire midday, evening and weekend time frames.
-However, midday and evening headways on the 1 and 6 will stay 5 minutes as they are now.
-Midday and evening headways on the E and F will stay 5-10 minutes as they are now also.
-All lines should simply operate their "daytime" service patterns between 6 a.m. and midnight. All lines should also simply operate their "late night" service patterns between midnight and 6 a.m.
-The entire 2, 4, A, E, and N lines are fully local between midnight and 6 a.m. instead of whatever the current schedule in reality says about what time they start being fully local.
-Sames goes for the D on the Grand Concourse and Fourth Avenue corridors, as well as the Q on Broadway above Canal Street.
The 3, 5, B, C, M, R, and W lines operate their entire routes between 6 a.m. and 12 midnight. Some of these aforementioned lines do not run at night nor on weekends, however. And the 5 is cut back to Bowling Green on weekends, same goes for the M at Chambers Street (not Essex Street).
-Early Sunday morning 3 trains are extended to and from New Lots Avenue.
-Early Sunday morning 4 trains are cut back to Utica Avenue and also run express underground at the same time.
-Weekday evening 5 trains are extended to and from Flatbush Avenue between 8 p.m. and midnight.
-Weekend evening 5 trains are extended to run an extra hour later.
-B and C trains extended to run an extra hour later, so the A can remain express underground and the D can remain express on the Grand Concourse Line at the same time.
-Weekday evening and all weekend E trains skips 75th Avenue and Van Wyck Boulevard in both directions for another track layout design that I'll draw out sometime later; the four lower level tracks continue straight between 71st Avenue on the Queens Boulevard Line and Parsons Boulevard on the Hillside Avenue Line, where they merge into either the local or express tracks in each direction. That's how it should have been built too.
-G trains are extended to and from 18 Avenue at all times for my previous aforementioned reasons one page back or two.
-J trains should have been extended to and from Broad Street at all times.
-The entire M and R lines are extended to run an extra hour later, so the E can remain express on Queens Boulevard as well as the D and N on the Manhattan Bridge/Fourth Avenue at the same time.
-Weekend M trains are extended to and from Chambers Street via the BMT Nassau Street Line, giving riders some more Midtown options at Canal and Chambers Streets.
-The Q is rerouted from Astoria to 63rd Street and SAS.
-The W is restored, running between Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria, Queens and Whitehall Street in Lower Manhattan, fully local in Astoria and on Broadway; the weekday N is back to running express on Broadway above Canal Street and also skipping 49th Street.
-The W is also extended to run an extra hour later, so the N can remain express on Broadway above Canal Street at the same time.
-All other service pattern setups remain the same as they are now.

All of this listed is for the sake of simplicity, complexity, ridership, and/or track layout designs.

I'm still current going over the car assignment roster, each individual car model, and the history of each New York City Subway line, however. 

Edited by RollOver

I have made some final modifications to my subway expansion plans. In this next series, I will show the progression in which lines would open, the services that would travel them, and station/line mileage counts.

The changes made are these:

I took Bobtehpanda's suggestion and decided to combine the 61st and 57th Street stations into a single 59th Street express station. As a consequence, stations in the area have been moved or added. 

The 70th Street station main entrance has been moved to 72 Street and the station renamed as such with the south exit at 70th Street. It is still express. 66 Street added with secondary entrance at 64 Street. Local Station. 59 Street with secondary entrance at 57 Street for future transfer with the NBL. 49th Street moved up a block to 50 Street. Secondary entrance at 48 Street. 29th Street station moved south a block to 58th street. Central entrance only with provisions at either end for additions. The Chatham Square station has been moved east to the center of a block on E. B'way between Catherine and Market Streets to provide cross platform transfers with the 1st Avenue and Worth St. Lines as well as track connections. This station would be 2 platforms and 4 tracks. There would be only one entrance with provisions for additions. Columbia/Grand has been moved southwest to Pitt/E. B'Way. That station would have a single entrance.

---------------------------------------------------------

The first sections to open would be the main 1st Avenue Trunk Line from 149th Street-3 Avenue to the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. In Lower Manhattan, the Worth Street extension of the (E) would be opened as far as Pitt Street. This is to provide a connection with the main system and provide some kind of interim yard access to 207 and Concourse.

1dEYmBk.png

R7DGwti.png0hBdtX4.png7AbUtSw.png

KdGR5HS.png

The 1st Avenue Line this far would be 9.08 miles long. 24 Stations.

The Worth Street Line would be 1.47 miles long. 4 stations.

Total: 10.55 route miles and 28 new stations. Hmm, look at that. The line would be built as 6-Tracks on two levels. Below Houston Street, the line would be 2-Tracks as the 6-Track portion would curve under Houston towards Brooklyn. In the future, I will do a map that shows the existing subway as well and the impact this expansion plan would have so the scope and influence is truly realized.

Despite what people believe, I think that cut-and-cover can be done in this day and age. With a big enough workforce and the right funding, this line could be built and operated in 5 years for a cost of 10-15 Billion. Yes, it's way more disruptive but it can be completed faster. I think speed trumps actual disruption anyway. I do, however, believe if the right players are on our side, things can be done.If only the Bloomingdale family still owned that chain. Historically, they've always been supporters of new subways and in fact extremely endorsed a 1st Avenue subway back when the IND was in planning. Having big names like that could encourage other establishments and residents to help endorse a proposal.

Times have changed, but nothing is impossible.

Anyway:

There would be two services at the start of operation.

The (K) 1st Avenue Express from The Hub to World Trade Center.

The (V) 1st Avenue Local from The Hub to World Trade Center.

Both new services would initially run every 10 minutes during the 1st 6 months, then headways will be changed upon demand.

Then the (E) (which would no longer run to the WTC) would run between Jamaica-Parsons/Archer to Pitt Street-LES.

Edited by LTA1992

The rule of thumb is basically 2 terminal tracks per route. Adding 2 more tracks would correct the current imbalance we have today. The (2) has two tracks to terminate in the Bronx. The (5) has two tracks to terminate in the Bronx. But the both of them share two tracks in Brooklyn.

This is a problem with the (B), (N), and (Q) as well. The (B) has only one terminal track in Manhattan or the Bronx. And the (N) and (Q) share two terminal tracks in Astoria. But of course, the B Division routes don’t come close to the frequency of the A Division routes.

(G) Extension to 18 Avenue

This has been in my mind all day long. It should have been extended two stops south to 18 Avenue from the very, very beginning. Here's I can describe how the track layout between Ditmas Avenue and 18 Avenue should be instead of what it is now: Directly to the south of Ditmas Avenue should have been an X diamond switch between the southbound local track and the center express track; directly to the north of 18 Avenue should have also been a diamond switch between the center track and the northbound local track.

Southbound (G) trains switch over to the middle track right after Ditmas Avenue and end at 18 Avenue. It clears all of its passengers out on the Coney Island-bound platform and closes its doors. It then reopens its doors on the Manhattan-bound platform, picks up passengers and then waits for its scheduled departure time. Afterwards, it switches over to the local track and continues on its way northbound towards Ditmas Avenue and so on.

Also, let's say if there's two southbound (G) trains back to back. The first one sits at 18 Avenue as it does what I just mention above. The second one, on the other hand, waits outside of the station for its leader to clear. This allows (F) trains to continue through on the local track without any interruption and keeps them moving at a fast pace.

I really do think the (MTA) can certainly install and implement this in the foreseeable future. Who knows. I believe this is alot more sensible too. (G) trains no longer have to relay nor cause major delays to the very frequent weekday (F) service, as the (F) runs 12-15 tph during rush hours and 8-9 tph during middays & evenings. The (G) runs 8-9 tph during rush hours and 6 tph during middays & evenings. So the combined rush hour headways are about 20-24 tph during rush hours and the combined midday & evening headways are about 15 tph.

Fumigating and relaying (G) trains delay the (F) pretty bad in the current setup at Church Avenue during weekdays, as there can also be two other (G) trains still at the relay south of Church Avenue.

I can see what you’re trying to do here, but you should probably illustrate it for everyone else. It’s basically a rearrangement of the switches to let the MTA juggle 2 (G) trains without actually having 2 tracks while moving the fumigation problem to a station where the (G) and (F) won’t share tracks. I have doubts about the express track holding a full-length train between Ditmas Avenue and 18 Avenue, but this should be doable with the (G) and with a margin of extra track left over.

Edited by CenSin