Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

13 hours ago, MTA Researcher said:

I have a question , what are your thoughts on rerouting (B)(D) via Williamsburg and (T)<T>  via Brighton?

I heard there are theoretical proposals like this, so I would like to know more.

That not advisable to do by sending the (B) and (D) through the Williamsburg bridge Bronx folks lose their easy access to Coney Island or Brighton Beach. Maybe if you send one of them to Jamaica (since Bronx to Jamaica demand is crazy) I'm not in for one of them doing what the (M) would do after Williamsburg.

My question about the (T)is how would it go via Brighton they should finish the second phase before deciding weather if it's the Bronx or Brooklyn. I'd advise the Bronx over Brooklyn that way it could do a better job taking riders from the Lexington Av lines. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

My question about the (T)is how would it go via Brighton

I have heard of proposals where Grand St would be cross platform one for 6 Av one for 2 Av. The tracks leading to the Manhattan Bridge North Side could take 2 Av trains. Of course I don’t fully remember the proposal as it was a while ago…

I am wondering if this could be a better alternative for Brighton riders to get 2 Av trains since apparently they hate 6 Av trains… In my ideas I put Broadway Express to handle 4 Av Express.

10 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:
On 5/12/2024 at 7:38 PM, MTA Researcher said:

I have a question , what are your thoughts on rerouting (B)(D) via Williamsburg and (T)<T>  via Brighton?

I heard there are theoretical proposals like this, so I would like to know more.

That not advisable to do by sending the (B) and (D) through the Williamsburg bridge Bronx folks lose their easy access to Coney Island or Brighton Beach. Maybe if you send one of them to Jamaica (since Bronx to Jamaica demand is crazy) I'm not in for one of them doing what the (M) would do after Williamsburg.

My question about the (T)is how would it go via Brighton they should finish the second phase before deciding weather if it's the Bronx or Brooklyn. I'd advise the Bronx over Brooklyn that way it could do a better job taking riders from the Lexington Av lines. 

As much as I wouldn't mind sending one of the lines through Williamsburg (preferably not the (D)), there's the issue of the current state that is the BMT Eastern Division. Even if a new connector is made to allow 6th Av express to run to via the Brooklyn-Broadway, you'd have to completely overhaul the entirety of it which includes the Myrtle Av branch. I'd go as far as to say to include even the (L) would need an expansion since they'd be pretty left out and with how high of a demand the line already is.

It's already been mentioned and pointed out many times over in this subforum and a couple of others by others about the issue of an expansion for the BMT Eastern Division. Starting off would be the yards themselves, they're already limited on how many trains can be stored at a time, look no further than ENY. Fresh Pond has some possibility to expand, but certainly not ENY. Next up would be the stations, which probably isn't that much of an issue outside of the 2 express stations. I'd mention the structure of the ELs, but I'm not sure if that also needs reconstructing. Though that would be a good time to maybe try out concrete ELs. Then again, I wouldn't know for sure.

Here’s my plan

(T) Hamilton Grange 145th Street Manhattan - Utica Avenue king plaza Brooklyn 2nd Avenue express/Fulton Street Local New lower 2nd avenue express tracks would be build for this and then they rise up at 55th street and the  they would be extended to a new tunnel in Brooklyn connecting to the (C) at Hoyt Street and then running to Utica Avenue on a brand new subway line down Utica Avenue. By having the both (C)(T) run local on Fulton Street you would get decent one seat rides. Note the (T) would run local in lower manhattan during weekends and late nights when the (K) and (Z) aren’t running 

(K) 3rd Avenue/2nd Avenue Local Fordham Plaza Bronx -  Hanover Square Manhattan so a new 3rd Avenue line would be built in the Bronx with the existing 2nd Avenue local tracks there the (K) and (Q) would be extended to Fordham plaza and the (K) would run local in 2nd Avenue and terminating at lower manhattan. Note the (K)   would be a weekday only  route weekends late nights use (Q)(T)(V) 

(V) Northern Blvd/2nd Avenue Express Williamsburg Local Bayside Bell Boulevard Queens - Bushwick Wilson  Avenue Brooklyn This new line would start off at Northern West queens before becoming express starting at utopia Parkway and then a new tunnel would connect these tracks to the 2nd Avenue express tracks and then Grand Street it would split off to form a new subway line at Williamsburg Northern Brooklyn before heading to Wilson Avenue Bushwick. Note: The (V) runs local on its entire route during weekends and late nights when the (K)(Z) aren’t running  

(Z) Northern Blvd/2nd Avenue local 

Utopia Parkway queens- Hanover Sqaure  Manhattan 

This re routed subway would start off as the local tracks of the northern Blvd line at utopia parkway with some provisions for a (G) to be extended via northern Blvd local. The tracks would connect to a new tunnel to the 2nd Avenue local tracks and run down to terminate at lower manhattan Hanover square Note: (Z) doesn’t operate during weekends or late nights use the (T)(V)  

On 5/13/2024 at 9:40 AM, 40 to 241st said:

I have in the past proposed extending the (N) and (W) to The Bronx, adding an additional stop past Ditmas around 21st Avenue where perhaps a yard could also be built, then going over a new rail bridge to The Bronx, coming in at Food Service Drive.  After that, the line would go back underground with stops that include Elder-Westchester Avenue (transfer to (6) and East 180th Street (transfer to (2)(5)).  Such as line as I would do it would likely go to Jacobi Medical Center.  

22 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Here’s my plan

(T) Hamilton Grange 145th Street Manhattan - Utica Avenue king plaza Brooklyn 2nd Avenue express/Fulton Street Local New lower 2nd avenue express tracks would be build for this and then they rise up at 55th street and the  they would be extended to a new tunnel in Brooklyn connecting to the (C) at Hoyt Street and then running to Utica Avenue on a brand new subway line down Utica Avenue. By having the both (C)(T) run local on Fulton Street you would get decent one seat rides. Note the (T) would run local in lower manhattan during weekends and late nights when the (K) and (Z) aren’t running 

(K) 3rd Avenue/2nd Avenue Local Fordham Plaza Bronx -  Hanover Square Manhattan so a new 3rd Avenue line would be built in the Bronx with the existing 2nd Avenue local tracks there the (K) and (Q) would be extended to Fordham plaza and the (K) would run local in 2nd Avenue and terminating at lower manhattan. Note the (K)   would be a weekday only  route weekends late nights use (Q)(T)(V) 

(V) Northern Blvd/2nd Avenue Express Williamsburg Local Bayside Bell Boulevard Queens - Bushwick Wilson  Avenue Brooklyn This new line would start off at Northern West queens before becoming express starting at utopia Parkway and then a new tunnel would connect these tracks to the 2nd Avenue express tracks and then Grand Street it would split off to form a new subway line at Williamsburg Northern Brooklyn before heading to Wilson Avenue Bushwick. Note: The (V) runs local on its entire route during weekends and late nights when the (K)(Z) aren’t running  

This re routed subway would start off as the local tracks of the northern Blvd line at utopia parkway with some provisions for a (G) to be extended via northern Blvd local. The tracks would connect to a new tunnel to the 2nd Avenue local tracks and run down to terminate at lower manhattan Hanover square Note: (Z) doesn’t operate during weekends or late nights use the (T)(V)  

Not sure how this will work, but one problem I’m seeing is (A) express and (C)(T) local on Fulton St?

That would count as a merge, thus delaying the trains… It would be best to do (A)(C) via 8 Av/Fulton St Express and (T) local in Fulton St OR substitute (C) for (E) in being the second8 Av/Fulton St Express thus no need to close 50 St upper level under the latter.

6 minutes ago, MTA Researcher said:

Not sure how this will work, but one problem I’m seeing is (A) express and (C)(T) local on Fulton St?

That would count as a merge, thus delaying the trains… It would be best to do (A)(C) via 8 Av/Fulton St Express and (T) local in Fulton St OR substitute (C) for (E) in being the second8 Av/Fulton St Express thus no need to close 50 St upper level under the latter.

True but seeing how Fulton Street was always used to 8th Avenue service and the 2nd Avenue service would basically be foreign to them I felt that having both (A)(C) run express in Brooklyn would cause huge backlash at the local stations as it’s basically feeling like “forcing thousands to learn a completely new language in commutes with forced transfers unless you could run enough (T) to make it the negative minimum, but still the question is would people really want to transfer. PS wouldn’t the (E) to Lefferts Blvd be too long and awkward at it’s another loop into queens?

Initially the 3rd Avenue line I proposed in the Bronx was going be 4 tracks with the (Q) being express on weekdays but local on weekends and late nights. And the (K) being the weekday only local that doesn’t operate during overnight hours and weekends. But I staled back to it being 3 tracks with the middle track reserved for either emergencies or potential peak way express service. 

Git any feedback for the other parts of my proposals any recommendations?

Here’s an experimental map I made a while ago. 

https://metrodreamin.com/view/QWp5WDJMaE9oYldYaHhNbGV0Vzh4c3pzWDBkMnww

KeyHighlights:

knowing (7) and QBL as a crowd chaos show I extended (N) to Flushing via Astoria Express passing through LGA. If the (7) line is disrupted; you may take (N) as alternative. Astoria Local would be served by 2 Av Local (I) train running between Citi Field and Hanover Square.

i also eliminated the (B) to eliminate the merge at 59 St CC. Now replaced with (C) in Bronx and (Qorange) going into 6 Av and beyond.

I also converted (M) to 8 Av Local and rerouted to terminate at 168 St.

The (6) extended to Co-Op City

(E)  via 8 Av/Fulton St Express to Far Rockaway.

(F) returns to 53 St.

14 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

PS wouldn’t the (E) to Lefferts Blvd be too long and awkward at it’s another loop into queens?

Based on MetroDreamin it would only be 1 hour and 12 minutes long. Because it’s going express on all 3 boroughs.

11 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I have in the past proposed extending the (N) and (W) to The Bronx, adding an additional stop past Ditmas around 21st Avenue where perhaps a yard could also be built, then going over a new rail bridge to The Bronx, coming in at Food Service Drive.  After that, the line would go back underground with stops that include Elder-Westchester Avenue (transfer to (6) and East 180th Street (transfer to (2)(5)).  Such as line as I would do it would likely go to Jacobi Medical Center.  

This sound looks like a good idea as this gives Bronx folks better access to LaGuardia, but what other stops would you propose? If it’s going to the Jacobi medical center 🏥 and serves 180th would you have your  (N) and(W) follow the (5)

On 5/13/2024 at 9:47 PM, Amiri the subway guy said:

Here’s my plan

21 hours ago, MTA Researcher said:

Allow me to explain these proposals. By expanding the proposed 125th street crosstown line to go up to further north Harlem at 145th Street would add in a corridor and connection to East Manhattan it would also feature a transfer to the (1) at 137th Street city college. 
Next seeing how Fulton Street was always used to 8th Avenue service, I feel it’s best for both the (C)(T) to run local on Fulton Street to minimize backlash and allow for improved timing on the local stations. Then the (T) goes to Utica Avenue to fill in the gap of the lack of transit.  Next for 3rd Avenue line, I wanted this to be a 4 track line but seeing how that would be too expensive to build 3 tracks line served by the (K)(Q) (note (K) is 2nd Avenue local) would be the better alternative giving central Bronx the long overdue replacement for the demolished 3rd avenue el.  Now the primary goal of the Northern Blvd line (V) (Z) (Both 2nd Avenue services) in queens is to not just help build a subway to better manage the growth in Northern western Queens to help reduce crowding on the   (7) line. This route would run at a close proximity to the current flushing line, that way the two 2nd Avenue services could serve as crowd control for not just flushing but at Grand Central Station. For Williamburg northern Brooklyn I figured sending the (V) down to Bushwick Wilson Avenue would help better balance the loads of traffic on the (J)(L) and (M) and give riders a new option to the east side via 2nd avenue.  Lastly the reason why the (K)(Z) are weekday only routes and only terminate at lower Manhattan is because I figured that ridership will be lower on weekends and late nights then weekdays so the two extra services probably won’t be needed and they isn’t anywhere left in Brooklyn that I see necessary for them to go. 

All right, it’s time to settle this debate once and for all…  which is more densely populated, Astoria and QBL together or 2 Av?

As I watch Tech Transit Association YT channel it keeps coming back to TPH , capacity and fundings. 

How many TPH would (N) alone to Astoria via Broadway Express get?

How many TPH would (R) to 71 Av or Rockaway Park via RBB going Broadway Express get?

How many TPH (W)  Broadway Local can get  to 2 Av?

Please Note this is under 57/7 flip, meaning that Express tracks connect to 60 St while Local tracks via provisions north ascend and connect to 63 St.

Lastly How possible is this?

How much would this cost?

Here’s an experimental deinterlining plan:

(A) Days: 207 - Lefferts: CPW/8 Av/Fulton St Express

Nights: Rockaway Blvd - Lefferts

(C) Weekdays: Co-Op City - Far Rockaway: Concourse/CPW/8 Av/Fulton St Express

Weekends and Nights: No Concourse Express

(E) All Times: 179 - CI: QBL Express - 8 Av Local vía W 4 Switch to Culver Express

<E> Rush Hours: Peak Direction Express to Kings Highway

(K) All Times: Jamaica Ctr - 2 Av: QBL Express - 8 Av Local vía W 4 Switch to Terminus

(B) Days: 168 - CI: CPW Local - 6 Av/4 Av Express via West End

Nights: Extended to 207

(D) Weekdays: BPB to CI: Concourse/CPW Local - 6 Av/4 Av Express via Sea Beach

Weekends and Nights: Cut back to 145 St

(F) All Times: 71 Av - WTC: QBL/ 6 Av Local via 63 St and W 4 switch to Terminus

(J) All Times: Jamaica Ctr - Chambers St: All Local

<J>  Weekdays: Express between Marcy Av and Broadway Jct

<M> All Times: Metro Av - Bay Ridge - 95 St: All Local

(N) All Times: Astoria-Ditmars - CI: Astoria/Brighton Local - Broadway Express

<N> Weekdays: Astoria/Brighton Express

(Q) All Times: 125 - Euclid Av: Broadway/Fulton St Local via Montague St to new connection to local tracks at Hoyt-Schimmerhorn Sts

(S) New Harlem Shuttle

(3) Rerouted to Dyre Av and Flatbush Av

(4) extended to New Lots Av

<4>  Jerome Av Express

Please Note: Night (A) must terminate at Rockaway Blvd to allow (C) to go Fulton St Express

About QBL… 36 St would have to be Express Station

Also regarding Broadway 57/7 Flip is in effect, thus no 3 borough locals which are long and useless.

The brown <M> must return because we are talking complete deinterlining thus no reverse branching. 

The shuttle in Harlem will take over the (3) in Harlem, so (3) may go to Dyre Av.

Hopefully this is more feasible and reasonable.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:23 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Had to go through Google Maps as I did originally when I looked into the other stops"

20th Avenue in Queens with potentially a yard would be put in at this point. 

The line then goes over a new rail bridge to The Bronx with actually two stops next to Food Center Drive on Hallack Street, the first above ground at Ryawa Avenue and the second underground near Hunts Point Avenue, then continuing on Hallack Steet to Seneca Avenue (next stop) and then turning and going under the Bronx River to Bronx River Avenue and the Bruckner Expressway (with exits at such a station on both sides of the expressway), then north to Watson Avenue and then west to Elder Avenue with a stop at Elder and Westchester Avenue (transfer to (6)), then north-northwest on Elder to where it meets with Bronx River Avenue and on there to a stop at East 174th Street, then  continuing to and then under the Cross Bronx Expressway to East 177th Street to Bronx Park Avenue, then along there to East 180th Street (transfer to (2) and (5)), then on Morris Park Avenue to a stop at White Plains Road, then on White Plains Road to Pelham Parkway (second transfer to (2)(5)),  then across Pelham Parkway with a stop at Willamsbridge Road and a final stop at on Pelham Parkway South and Jacobi Medical Center.  

Here is a random proposal I have to bring back the (9) train.

(1) same as now

(2) express between 241 Street and Flatbush at all times including late nights

(3) same daytime pattern as now but with no late nights

(9) late night only between 148 Street and South Ferry running local 

This would provide full late night service all the way downtown as the (3) only goes to 42 Street and this would help out the (2) late nights

1 hour ago, Robert Spire said:

(1) same as now

This would provide full late night service all the way downtown as the (3) only goes to 42 Street and this would help out the (2) late nights

Or just run the (3) late nights to South Ferry via Local and keep the (2) as an express 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Robert Spire said:

(1) same as now

I like the idea except for the (9) part brining the (9) back as basically a “late night exclusive clone” of the (3) is pointless, confusing, over complicated and unnecessary just extend and reroute the (3) to South Ferry via 7th Avenue local and reroute to the (2) to 7th Avenue express and call it a day 

Edited by Amiri the subway guy

40 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

I like the idea except for the (9) part brining the (9) back as basically a “late night exclusive clone” of the (3) is pointless, confusing, over complicated and unnecessary just extend and reroute the (3) to South Ferry via 7th Avenue local and reroute to the (2) to 7th Avenue express and call it a day 

It is not a clone because it doesn't go to Brooklyn and is not express. Either way the (2) late nights are a mess, I have seen rush hour style crowding at 4 am. 

On 5/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Robert Spire said:

(1) same as now

Let me try to steer you and the others in the right direction. Late night (2) express in Manhattan ? Been there done that years ago. The public rightfully complained about this service pattern. Imagine waiting at 28th Street at 2: AM and you’re heading home to Winthrop Street or Burke Avenue and the (2) whizzed by you. Now you have to wait for a (1) train to get to an express station and then wait for your train home. The solution was to have the (2) make local stops in Manhattan and give the people a one seat ride home instead. Look no further than the East Side counterpart the (4) which made all local stops in Manhattan. Finally they extended the (6) service from its old midnight terminal at 125th Street down to Brooklyn Bridge. Most of the posters are unaware of the old service patterns but I can personally attest to some of them because I worked some of those jobs.

Sunday nights we ran (2) trains from New Lots to White Plains Road with FIVE cars. Express in Manhattan.

The (1) ran FIVE car trains on the midnight tour from VCP down to the ferry and back. I’ve witnessed the frustration of the people who were at the local stations and trying to get home.

As for a midnight (3) going anywhere south of Times Square that’s a non starter in my opinion. I worked the (3) shuttle from Lenox to 135th Street and I’ve worked Lenox when there was no service on the midnight tour. We survived. My opinion. Carry on. BTW this was discussed in the forum 15 years ago and most people agreed with the present service patterns.

7 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let me try to steer you and the others in the right direction. Late night (2) express in Manhattan ? Been there done that years ago. The public rightfully complained about this service pattern. Imagine waiting at 28th Street at 2: AM and you’re heading home to Winthrop Street or Burke Avenue and the (2) whizzed by you. Now you have to wait for a (1) train to get to an express station and then wait for your train home. The solution was to have the (2) make local stops in Manhattan and give the people a one seat ride home instead. Look no further than the East Side counterpart the (4) which made all local stops in Manhattan. Finally they extended the (6) service from its old midnight terminal at 125th Street down to Brooklyn Bridge. Most of the posters are unaware of the old service patterns but I can personally attest to some of them because I worked some of those jobs.

Sunday nights we ran (2) trains from New Lots to White Plains Road with FIVE cars. Express in Manhattan.

The (1) ran FIVE car trains on the midnight tour from VCP down to the ferry and back. I’ve witnessed the frustration of the people who were at the local stations and trying to get home.

As for a midnight (3) going anywhere south of Times Square that’s a non starter in my opinion. I worked the (3) shuttle from Lenox to 135th Street and I’ve worked Lenox when there was no service on the midnight tour. We survived. My opinion. Carry on. BTW this was discussed in the forum 15 years ago and most people agreed with the present service patterns.

Exactly!

There's a reason the (1) and (2) on the 7th Avenue Line are both local late nights while the (4) and (6) do the same on the Lexington Line.  The one thing I would differently with regards to these when the (5) is not running also have the (6) go to Bowling Green so there are trains to/from there to/from the SI Ferry every 10 minutes or so in late night hours.  

I would also have the (5) run express to Grand Central in late night hours much like the (3) does to Times Square.  

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Exactly!

There's a reason the (1) and (2) on the 7th Avenue Line are both local late nights while the (4) and (6) do the same on the Lexington Line.  The one thing I would differently with regards to these when the (5) is not running also have the (6) go to Bowling Green so there are trains to/from there to/from the SI Ferry every 10 minutes or so in late night hours.  

I would also have the (5) run express to Grand Central in late night hours much like the (3) does to Times Square.  

I’m not sure about your move at Grand Central with the (5) . IIRC the only connection is from the downtown express and wrong railing onto the uptown express track. That would mean the riders headed for points south would have to de train and cross over to the downtown tracks. I could be mistaken but I’ve only made that move with a road train. Carry on.

12 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Exactly!

There are reliability problems with the (2) late nights. There's people that take the (7) into Queens for the Q44 instead late nights.