Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Just wondering, why Great Neck?

Oh, whoops. I recycled an earlier diagram I had drawn regarding future services on a Queens Boulevard Line and bypass, with a turquoise (V) running from SAS via the Bypass to the Port Washington Branch.

queens-blvd-diagram.png

The yellow line actually comes from the Astoria Line after Queensboro, since I assumed (and I have no idea if this is correct) that you don't really need two services on Astoria north of Queensboro Plaza. But this is quite an old idea.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The yellow line actually comes from the Astoria Line after Queensboro, since I assumed (and I have no idea if this is correct) that you don't really need two services on Astoria north of Queensboro Plaza. But this is quite an old idea.

Assuming the Astoria line never gets extended to LGA and beyond, it's impossible to have more than 15 tph peak direction anyways due to terminal constraints. I don't think it's necessary to have more either - the overcrowding is between Queensboro Plaza and Lex Ave - 59 St, which can be relieved by a 63 St service via a transfer at Woodside.

Assuming the Astoria line never gets extended to LGA and beyond, it's impossible to have more than 15 tph peak direction anyways due to terminal constraints. I don't think it's necessary to have more either - the overcrowding is between Queensboro Plaza and Lex Ave - 59 St, which can be relieved by a 63 St service via a transfer at Woodside.

And that's exactly what I'm planning with a new turquoise (V) to Jamaica, if you take a look at the map I posted here a few posts ago.

Doesn't the (F) tunnel through Roosevelt Island have four tracks, with stubs at Second Avenue already in place in anticipation of such a connection?

Yes, but the two tracks underneath the (F) are being used for the East Side Access project which would send LIRR trains to Grand Central Station. On the other hand, the two SAS tracks that turn north onto Second Avenue would be used by (Q) trains heading to and from the Upper East Side. Once Phase 3 begins, there would be another non-revenue track connection from the (F) line for trains heading downtown from Queens. Edited by Q44SBS

As noted before, my plan for the Astoria line would be to extend it to The Bronx, giving those who actually need to get to Queens from there a way of doing so without going through Manhattan (and as part of such, if the proposed transfer between Queensboro and Queens Plaza is not built, a new OOS transfer there.  This would likely have to be done by addition a new stop at 20th Avenue (three tracks so some trains not continuing to The Bronx can short-turn) and a new rail bridge from there which would go to Food Service Drive and then go underground after that, with transfers to/from the (2) / (5) and (6) before going for instance perhaps to Jacobi Medical Center for a terminal. 

Oh, whoops. I recycled an earlier diagram I had drawn regarding future services on a Queens Boulevard Line and bypass, with a turquoise (V) running from SAS via the Bypass to the Port Washington Branch.

queens-blvd-diagram.png

Do you mean something like this?

YjRmLgu.png

Pretty much, however the (V) would be turquoise and be express all the way to 179 Street.

Oh and it would stop at Woodside.

It may operate as a Queens-SAS service, but I would rather run it express between Queensbridge and Forest Hills via Woodside, then local after Forest Hills to 179th Street in Jamaica. (F) service remains unchanged, while (E) trains would run express to Jamaica-Van Wyck at all times except late nights when it runs local in Queens (the (V) would not run overnight). The original design plan for the Queens Boulevard bypass called for the connection to 71st Avenue to link toward the local tracks after that station, so running the (V) as an express all the way to Jamaica would be impractical--since you'll end up delaying (E) and (F) trains near the crossing at 75th Avenue--and (V) trains will also have to cross the tracks there so it could run express. Edited by Q44SBS

Not sure if this fits here, but with all the hoopla about the BQX streetcar, it got me thinking that there should be an LRT or streetcar style feeder system in NY running alongside/replacing some bus routes or running alongside freight/commuter rail.

The Bx.12+ could be a streetcar running from Inwood-207 Street, omitting the section to Bay Plaza along the NE Thruway which could be made a shuttle

The portion of the Q.44+ from College Point to Jamaica could be made into a streetcar, which would make outer borough travel easier. 

A LRT or streetcar along (not on the tracks of) the Lower Montauk or Bay Ridge Lines of the LIRR would also be cool.

Might be improbable, don't know a lot about LRT/streetcars.

Not sure if this fits here, but with all the hoopla about the BQX streetcar, it got me thinking that there should be an LRT or streetcar style feeder system in NY running alongside/replacing some bus routes or running alongside freight/commuter rail.

The Bx.12+ could be a streetcar running from Inwood-207 Street, omitting the section to Bay Plaza along the NE Thruway which could be made a shuttle

The portion of the Q.44+ from College Point to Jamaica could be made into a streetcar, which would make outer borough travel easier.

A LRT or streetcar along (not on the tracks of) the Lower Montauk or Bay Ridge Lines of the LIRR would also be cool.

Might be improbable, don't know a lot about LRT/streetcars.

Streetcars are out the question, leave those SBS routes alone...

Streetcars are out the question, leave those SBS routes alone...

Wouldn't they be faster though? If done the French style running on medians, they would be out of traffic.

EDIT: Traffic in NYC is terrible, a streetcar could bypass traffic for a fraction of the cost of a subway.

Edited by itsadam

It may operate as a Queens-SAS service, but I would rather run it express between Queensbridge and Forest Hills via Woodside, then local after Forest Hills to 179th Street in Jamaica. (F) service remains unchanged, while (E) trains would run express to Jamaica-Van Wyck at all times except late nights when it runs local in Queens (the (V) would not run overnight). The original design plan for the Queens Boulevard bypass called for the connection to 71st Avenue to link toward the local tracks after that station, so running the (V) as an express all the way to Jamaica would be impractical--since you'll end up delaying (E) and (F) trains near the crossing at 75th Avenue--and (V) trains will also have to cross the tracks there so it could run express.

Oh okay then. I was going off of Bobtehpanda's map and must have gotten myself confused somewhere. 

As for the (V), my idea is that the (F) and (V) are similar routes except for three differences:

1. The (V) is the super-express via Woodside, the (F) is express via Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd

2. The (F) operates via 6th Avenue in Midtown, the (V) operates via 2nd Avenue in East Midtown. The two would split after Roosevelt Island and join back together just before Delancey Street.

3. The (F) is the Culver Express between Jay Street and Church Avenue all times except nights, and express between Church Av and Kings Highway peak direction only.

The (V) is the Culver Local in Brooklyn to Kings Highway or Church Avenue (maybe a few trains in the rush to/from Avenue X).

(As of right now, I want the (V) to also be 24/7in Manhattan and Queens, but I'm not sure if its necessary in Brooklyn late nights, and I'm not sure where I wold terminate it in Manhattan instead)

Also isn't there a Queens bypass track map somewhere?

Edited by Around the Horn

Oh okay then. I was going off of Bobtehpanda's map and must have gotten myself confused somewhere. 

As for the (V), my idea is that the (F) and (V) are similar routes except for three differences:

1. The (V) is the super-express via Woodside, the (F) is express via Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd

2. The (F) operates via 6th Avenue in Midtown, the (V) operates via 2nd Avenue in East Midtown. The two would split after Roosevelt Island and join back together just before Delancey Street.

3. The (F) is the Culver Express between Jay Street and Church Avenue all times except nights, and express between Church Av and Kings Highway peak direction only.

The (V) is the Culver Local in Brooklyn to Kings Highway or Church Avenue (maybe a few trains in the rush to/from Avenue X).

(As of right now, I want the (V) to also be 24/7in Manhattan and Queens, but I'm not sure if its necessary in Brooklyn late nights, and I'm not sure where I wold terminate it in Manhattan instead)

Also isn't there a Queens bypass track map somewhere?

IND_Superexpress.jpg

I would replace the Northern Blvd station with a stop at Woodhaven Blvd.

Any service via SAS and 63 St should be full-time imo.

IND_Superexpress.jpg

I would replace the Northern Blvd station with a stop at Woodhaven Blvd.

Any service via SAS and 63 St should be full-time imo.

In my proposal, I chose not to include late night service on the (V) because it would add unnecessary redundancy to the (T) in Manhattan and the (F) in Queens during those hours. And since I plan to leave late night (E) and (F) service in Queens unchanged, both trains can replace (V) service there. For service to Woodside, you can just transfer to the (7) at Roosevelt Avenue.

Has anyone tried to make a turquoise (V) graphic? I'm guessing the existing (V) wouldn't be acceptable, even though it would run with the (F) in Queens and save a lot of time and money in terms of rollsign replacements.

I think we don't have one on the forums because it isn't an actual service; a turquoise (V) is pure speculation on our part, unlike the (T) which the MTA has made public. However I would still welcome one.

Edited by Around the Horn

I think we don't have one on the forums because it isn't an actual service; a turquoise (V) is pure speculation on our part, unlike the (T) which the MTA has made public. However I would still welcome one.

What do you think, would a turquoise (V) benefit from overnight service? I would say no because I don't think it would really be needed, since you already have (E), (F), and (T) trains as alternatives that give reasonable service at that time, plus the MTA would save some money. Anwyay, I'm always open to feedback...

What do you think, would a turquoise (V) benefit from overnight service? I would say no because I don't think it would really be needed, since you already have (E), (F), and (T) trains as alternatives that give reasonable service at that time, plus the MTA would save some money. Anwyay, I'm always open to feedback...

I would say yes because with the (V) using the bypass via Woodside to 179th Street, you could operate both the (E) and (F) local, increasing service at local stations while maintaining an express option (which currently is the (F) ).

Also Park Slope and Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn and the Lower East Side in Manhattan have a relatively high percentage of residents traveling at night, due to the demographics. More frequent late night service there would be a good thing.

As for the 2nd Avenue line, most Manhattan trunk lines(except for only the (J) on Nassau Street and the (L) on 14th Street) have 10 minute headways provided by two services at 20 minute headways each, so having both the (T) and (V) running late nights, would be standard operating procedure.

I think we don't have one on the forums because it isn't an actual service; a turquoise (V) is pure speculation on our part

Right, but I was asking whether anyone has tried making one, like on graphic design software. I soon realized, however, that it would be easy enough to make it myself.

I simply downloaded and opened the Wikimedia SVG files of the (T) and (V) in Affinity Designer, superimposed one over the other, and deleted the 'T' and orange circle objects, leaving the 'V' and turquoise objects (for perfect alignment). Behold, the new fully vector SVG file for the turquoise V line:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15757362/NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS.svg

If anyone takes a liking to it, feel free to use it and/or modify it as an avatar or signature or whatever without the need to attribute any credit to me.

Here's a PNG sample:

NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS.png

Right, but I was asking whether anyone has tried making one, like on graphic design software. I soon realized, however, that it would be easy enough to make it myself.

I simply downloaded and opened the Wikimedia SVG files of the (T) and (V) in Affinity Designer, superimposed one over the other, and deleted the 'T' and orange circle objects, leaving the 'V' and turquoise objects (for perfect alignment). Behold, the new fully vector SVG file for the turquoise V line:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15757362/NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS.svg

If anyone takes a liking to it, feel free to use it and/or modify it as an avatar or signature or whatever without the need to attribute any credit to me.

Here's a PNG sample:

NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS.png

Awesome! Can one of the mods insert this into the smileys?

Anyway, I don't think that late night subway service on the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png is necessary, but definitely on the (T). I guess we'd have to see how popular the line would become.

If that's the case, I would operate the (V) between Hanover Square and the Woodside-61st Street (7) station overnight. Edited by Q44SBS

Awesome! Can one of the mods insert this into the smileys?

At that point, the mods should just make it a variable tag:

[bullet shape=circle color=turquoise]V[/symbol]

We’re still waiting for the mods to standardize the bullet sizes. They are still highly inconsistent. Here are some shown side-by-side for comparison:

• <4><5><6><7> ⟵ inconsistent size of bullet
  • (1):1: ⟵ inconsistent size of font
  • (B)<B> ⟵ inconsistent colors

I stand by what I said here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26455-subway-random-thoughts-topic/?p=882525

• SVG smilies for crispness on high-pixel-density displays and scaling up with the surrounding text’s font size
  • Precision of shapes to satisfy a chronically OCD graphics designer
  • Standard, memorable syntax to create bullets:
    • Yes this:

• Not this: