Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Culver need Bway service though? 6th Av and Bway are very close in Manhatthan; even the (C) via Culver is a better option.

1. I see it in a similar way of Brighton. The (B) and (W) would be part time lines that are more support than for connections, with the (F) and (Q) being the main lines commuters want. Also, something has to replace the (C) if it were to go on the Culver. A Fulton Local Shuttle will not do, and an extension of the (E) is basically impossible.

1. I see it in a similar way of Brighton. The (B) and (W) would be part time lines that are more support than for connections, with the (F) and (Q) being the main lines commuters want. Also, something has to replace the (C) if it were to go on the Culver. A Fulton Local Shuttle will not do, and an extension of the (E) is basically impossible.

I’m curious why you chose the Brighton Line as the model and not the Grand Concourse Line, Pelham Line, or Fulton Street Line. The Brighton Line is a horrible example of what’s good for commuters.

Edited by CenSin

I’m curious why you chose the Brighton Line as the model and not the Grand Concourse Line, Pelham Line, or Fulton Street Line. The Brighton Line is a horrible example of what’s good for commuters.

Well on Brighton it was shown Broadway service was preferred. If the (W) was to end up on the Culver, I would see it as the Culver riders would be more comfortable with the (F) since they are so used to 6 Av service. And since the (B) and (W) are part timers, I feel that the (W) may be the (B) of the Culver line.

I feel there isn't really anything that can be compared like the Brighton as there is no other line with non-peak weekday exp service.

Edited by ShadeJay

Why is the Brighton Line a "horrible example"?

Probably because the express terminates before the local. The (B) express only runs to Brighton Beach while the (Q) local runs down to Coney Island. His other examples have the <6>(A) and (D) express lines terminating after their local counterparts. Of course, it can't be helped as any push to have the Brighton expresses terminate at Coney Island would either require re-configuring the line south of Brighton Beach or a return to the 1967 service setup, which caused more traffic problems than the service was worth.

Here’s a proposal I haven’t seen around here before:

During late nights, the (2) is incredibly long, and the (3) is too short to be useful as an express.

• The late-night (2) should run to 34 Street–Penn Station only and express along 7 Avenue. Current station stops would be reduced to 28 from the current 61.
  • The late-night (3) should run all local to Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College to replace the (2). Current station stops would be increased from 9 to 43.

What about routes that are also very long? Like (A)(D)(R)(F)(4)

Most of the other late-night routes aren’t actually very bad:

• The (R) only has 6/8 stops (soon to be 17). Maybe you meant the daytime route, which is only 45 stops.
  • The (D) has 41 stops.
  • The (N) has 45 stops running all local.
  • The (F) has 45 stops (unchanged from daytime). I take this route preferentially from Flushing when it’s late out.

The longest (A) route has 58 stops, and if a similar split were to be implemented as suggested with the (2) and (3), the (C) (or whatever other letter) should run from Inwood–207 Street to World Trade Center. The (A) should run from 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal to Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue. That would make the (C) a 28-stop route and the (A) a 38-stop route. The 8 Avenue Line would have a net gain of 8 overlapping stops.

This one long late-night route, however, doesn’t seem to have any obvious cheap alternatives. While the plan with the (2) and (3) would cost the same as it does now, any solution with the (4) would necessitate 13 overlapping stops:

• The (4) has 54 stops. Splitting it into two would produce a 37-stop Woodlawn–Bowling Green route and a 30-stop Grand Central–New Lots Avenue route.

Most people during overnights need (2) more than (3).

Well, obviously, because the (2) goes to more areas than the (3) which is what his plan is trying to address.

The question basically is: How many overnight Bronx riders need to travel to Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Another way to address it (albeit more expensive) is to have the (3) run local to South Ferry, and have the (2) run express like it does during the daytime.

61 stops sure is brutal though on the T/O. Are there any reliability problems with operating a route with so many stops?

I remember once I clicked on the (2) train on TrainTime during the overnight hours, and it showed a 36 minute gap between trains in one area.

I'm interested to see what some of the transit workers here, think about this proposal to split up late night routes.

There are two ways of looking at this from an RTO perspective. Operations and Planning and Budget are one way to look at it. From a train crew's perspective there are also two ways to take it. I, personally, always picked the jobs with the fewest trips. I've worked half trip, one trip, one and a half trip, and two trip jobs for my whole career. There were people who made three, four, and five trips (excluding shuttles) working at the same terminal. In the IRT certain lines had a combination of these jobs and the pay didn't vary that much to make a difference to me.I was taught that the less time one spent on a train the less chance one had to get into trouble. That train crew on the midnight (A) or (2) run probably makes a round trip against the wall with a break at the terminal(s). The way I see it the crew on the (1) or (6) on the midnights, using the loops, makes more stops per trip segment than the (A)  or (2) train crew. The latter two crews do get off the train at the opposite end. I've never heard a complaint from people who've picked any of those jobs and I've never seen evidence that those crews were more inclined to suffer operational infractions than any one else. If you split some of these routes overnight you would need additional terminal facilities and additional supervision. I doubt you could justify that to Budget. Just my opinion. Carry on.

I remember once I clicked on the (2) train on TrainTime during the overnight hours, and it showed a 36 minute gap between trains in one area.

If you split some of these routes overnight you would need additional terminal facilities and additional supervision. I doubt you could justify that to Budget. Just my opinion. Carry on.

So this shouldn’t be an issue with the (2) / (3).

In my opinion,

I believe that late night (R) service should be completely phased out with the (W) running late nights between Astoria and Bay Ridge and the (N) running via Bridge for the night. This allows direct service to Midtown Manhattan and Queens from Brooklyn eliminating the complicated merging at Whitehall.

In my opinion,

I believe that late night (R) service should be completely phased out with the (W) running late nights between Astoria and Bay Ridge and the (N) running via Bridge for the night. This allows direct service to Midtown Manhattan and Queens from Brooklyn eliminating the complicated merging at Whitehall.

A merge happens regardless. Whitehall Street is not really complicated at all.

In my opinion,

The issue is that the MTA doesn't want to run 3 late-night services on Broadway or 2 services in Astoria.

The issue is that the MTA doesn't want to run 3 late-night services on Broadway or 2 services in Astoria.

And there is no need.   Only a handful of people if any are using the (R) / (W) all the way to Astoria from Bay Ridge and other parts of Brooklyn.  The (N) to Astoria and (Q) to (eventually) 96th Street-2nd Avenue should suffice.

If you do anything else late night on the Broadway Line, it would be to have the (R) run its full route to 71-Continental late nights and allow the (E) to go back to be an express on Queens Boulevard then (or have both run local on QB at that time). 

In my opinion,

For Bay Ridge I would increase the frequencies of the late night (R) shuttle. The waits for an (R) train are abysmal, while (N) after (N) shows up across the platform. The (R) could use a bump up anyway.  Runs like crap late nights... Weekends... You name it.

In my opinion,

Who needs a one-seat ride from 4th Av to Astoria at 3AM? The few people who actually need that trip can transfer at Atlantic or something.

And have Forest Hills as chatoic as it is now? No thank you!

I don’t support a late-night (R), but I also don’t believe that local trains 10-minutes apart would form conga lines. It’s a problem during the day time because trains come roughly every 5 minutes.

So in my creative mind I thought of a new service idea!

Option 1:

The Loop (J) from Jamiaca Center to...well Jamiaca Center.

Route; normal route to Essex St, then via Chrystie St connection to 6th Av, runs via 6 Av local, then via 53rd St, then via Queens Blvd local to Kew Gardens, then via the (E) to Jamaica Center.

Cons;

You would have more of a mess at Forest Hills.

Option 2:

The Loop (M) from Middle Village to Jamiaca Center.

Route; normal route to Forest Hills then via the (E) all the way up to Jamiaca Center.

Cons;

You would have to switch the (E) to 179th St as a terminal and have the (M) be the new service at Jamiaca Center.

You would have three terminals for the (M).