Move on, nothing to see here: Yet another slashing, ho hum

DetSMART45

lol! I'm only "wrong" because I'm not a bleeding blue liberal like you!

No, he said you're wrong because you reject statistical evidence in favor of anecdotal evidence, which, generally speaking is problematic. He resorted to such specific phrasing to try and make a point, which was lost,

I didn't say you were flat out wrong, I just said the numbers I have didn't support your reasoning.

Anyway, let's remember that you can disagree with someone's political beliefs as a whole but still agree with them on specific points. I hope we haven't reached the point where people of different ideologies can't have thoughtful discussions here. (We already have a place for that. It's called congress. Do'h)

For whatever it's worth, I think safety vs. perceived safety is an interesting metric to pursue. I believe "how safe do you feel" on the subway was a question on the MTA rider surveys the last few times I took it, and I'd like to compare the way that is trending with the way the crime rate is (allegedly, if you prefer) trending. Each and every one of our opinion is biased by our own experience, so let's see how the aggregate opinions of thousands of riders measure up with our own. I'll be back after I nerd out for a bit.

Living in fiction must be fun. Crime is lower than ever before, but luckily reality only applies to some of us.

I didn't say anything about crime levels, so you have no reason to insult me about how much I live or don't live in reality. All I stated was that I don't trust DeBlasio or Bratton, and that is my opinion. Crime was already lowering when De Blasio came in, and has been lowering since then. But I don't credit either of them for helping the situation when they certainly screwed up the homeless situation, the amount of guns on the street, etc. I choose to hope that DeBlasio is out in the next mayoral election.

Here you go: Survey results on how safe people feel. 

Spoiler alert: There's a reason I really had to go digging for this one. 

Note: I concatenated the safety sections from the Stations portion of the survey and the "On Train" portion of the survey. The segment labelled "Overall safety and security" refers to peoples responses regarding while being on board trains. 

GGhh1vu.jpg

So, on the whole numbers of satisfied customers in this regard are down. 

I'd argue, they're still not that bad - but people, on average, don't feel as safe on the subway as they did in the past.

An interesting metric indeed to compare to the crime rate.

Discuss: 

But I don't credit either of them for helping the situation when they certainly screwed up the homeless situation, the amount of guns on the street, etc.

Why do you blame de Blasio for the homelessness crisis fueled and accelerated by Mayor Bloomberg's disinterest in affordability housing, removal of key homeless housing subsidies, and slashing of mental health programs? de Blasio is actually trying to fight homelessness, which is something his predecessor didn't care too much to stop. Where do you see the number of guns on the street increasing?

Why do you blame de Blasio for the homelessness crisis fueled and accelerated by Mayor Bloomberg's disinterest in affordability housing, removal of key homeless housing subsidies, and slashing of mental health programs? de Blasio is actually trying to fight homelessness, which is something his predecessor didn't care too much to stop. Where do you see the number of guns on the street increasing?

I didn't say anything about Bloomberg since he wasn't the topic at hand. The homelessness crisis was a known problem when De Blasio was elected (even though it wasn't the media storm it is now) and all he did was throw a new homelessness services commissioner into service with some money in hopes of solving the problem. What happens a year later when the problem continues to increase? The commissioner resigns. Now, we can see how that money was wasted and the homelessness problem continues to rise because De Blasio has no idea what he's doing. I don't know, maybe people think differently, but I know that only 29% of the city turned out to vote in the last mayoral election, and next year, maybe more will turn out to reverse what's happened here if it's still not fixed.

Now the following is just MY OPINION, not saying it's fact or anything, but I was pro Stop-and-Frisk with the NYPD. I believe it made a difference, I believe it helped reduce crime and the number of guns on the street, and I was disappointed when it got recalled.

Hey guys, did you know that they are now moving on from slashing at this moment?

Giving out shots is likely a regular act too: http://nypost.com/2016/02/04/woman-possibly-stabbed-with-needle-at-subway-station/

Wowww....Me personally im not going by any police stats about crime fallen or raising...Im simply going by what i here on a daily basis and what i see..Mainly from watching the news and observing crime actions when i do ride them..Those stats aint lying...Subway slashing somehow is on a rise which in my opinion is a spike in crime...4 last month making ppl like myself feel like i need a weapon when i ride the train...Now being taken to another level with needles...Really...There's nothing anyone can do when someone riding them(BUS OR SUBWAY) that makes you there target besides protect yourself the best way you can...Which can be hard for most riders...Carry On

Listen, just because de Blasio is trying to fight homelessness, doesn't mean that he isn't responsible for the current situation.  The facts are that under his watch, homelessness is increasing, and continues to increase, and he is attempting to "fight" homelessness by destroying upper class and solid middle class communities by building affordable housing or opening up homeless shelters, like the one put up in Pelham Bay. It's funny how he is so keen to present affordable housing options everywhere but in Park Slope.  How interesting.  He wants to build this crap, well let him put it in his own backyard and he can practice what he preaches.  Until then he's a hypocrite.

Here you go: Survey results on how safe people feel. 

Spoiler alert: There's a reason I really had to go digging for this one. 

Note: I concatenated the safety sections from the Stations portion of the survey and the "On Train" portion of the survey. The segment labelled "Overall safety and security" refers to peoples responses regarding while being on board trains. 

GGhh1vu.jpg

So, on the whole numbers of satisfied customers in this regard are down. 

I'd argue, they're still not that bad - but people, on average, don't feel as safe on the subway as they did in the past.

An interesting metric indeed to compare to the crime rate.

Discuss: 

I would question who was actually surveyed to get such results.  From what I've seen on the news, the consensus is that people feel considerably less safer than they did in the past.

I would question who was actually surveyed to get such results.  From what I've seen on the news, the consensus is that people feel considerably less safer than they did in the past.

The numbers do show a decline in feeling of safety - yes. I'm curious to see how 2016's numbers stack up. In the past, they've put out press releases bragging about their survey results but they did NOT do that this year, because ALL the numbers (not just safety) generally show a decrease in satisfaction. These stats were buried 100+ pages into a committee presentation PDF. 

If you're curious about WHO was sampled, here's the survey methodology. It's a purely random telephone survey.

Bhsc6kr.jpg

Note it's done by an outside firm.

I'd question them also, given that the MTA likes to "slant" their survey figures to best suit their P.R. needs -- if it can happen with SBS customer reactions (all glowing, somehow), it can happen elsewhere.

If subway stations are in visible disrepair with peeling paint, water leaks, and other problems, then how does a high satisfaction rating overall come about?  If trains are consistently packed, running late, and having customer complaints, how does that get even satisfactory ratings?  So if you put those in the mix for assessing safety, people are going to have similar qualms.

Ironic, isn't it, how this crime has risen since Hizzoner (et al) has castrated the cops and cast them as the enemy?

It's happened here with the Detroit PD, and only within the past two years has morale been pulled from the ashes, and residents are finally breaking the street code of "No snitching."  In the years, basically decades, of DPD being understaffed and viewed as the enemy, the city lost practically 50% of its population.  Being proactive is showing residents that the entire community benefits.  Much too late, though, as now the city has to practically give away its tax base to coerce people to live and set up businesses.

History repeats itself.  I don't think it's going to slide to 1970s proportions, but there's going to be repercussions on the way the subway -- and NYC as a whole -- is viewed.  And it all starts with orders from The Top.

I'd question them also, given that the MTA likes to "slant" their survey figures to best suit their P.R. needs -- if it can happen with SBS customer reactions (all glowing, somehow), it can happen elsewhere.

If subway stations are in visible disrepair with peeling paint, water leaks, and other problems, then how does a high satisfaction rating overall come about?  If trains are consistently packed, running late, and having customer complaints, how does that get even satisfactory ratings?  So if you put those in the mix for assessing safety, people are going to have similar qualms.

Ironic, isn't it, how this crime has risen since Hizzoner (et al) has castrated the cops and cast them as the enemy?

It's happened here with the Detroit PD, and only within the past two years has morale been pulled from the ashes, and residents are finally breaking the street code of "No snitching."  In the years, basically decades, of DPD being understaffed and viewed as the enemy, the city lost practically 50% of its population.  Being proactive is showing residents that the entire community benefits.  Much too late, though, as now the city has to practically give away its tax base to coerce people to live and set up businesses.

History repeats itself.  I don't think it's going to slide to 1970s proportions, but there's going to be repercussions on the way the subway -- and NYC as a whole -- is viewed.  And it all starts with orders from The Top.

I agree 100% with everything you wrote.  The city was in a much different place in the 1970s.  Today there is TONS of investment and money pouring in so the city is healthy from an economical standpoint, so I don't see crime reaching to epic proportions.  That wasn't the case back in the 70's when the city was the brink of bankruptcy and crime was rampant.  

I agree 100% with everything you wrote.  The city was in a much different place in the 1970s.  Today there is TONS of investment and money pouring in so the city is healthy from an economical standpoint, so I don't see crime reaching to epic proportions.  That wasn't the case back in the 70's when the city was the brink of bankruptcy and crime was rampant.  

Only brought the 1970s in to illustrate the worst end of the scale.  Sure, that's not going to happen imminently.  But over a period of time, the effects will be felt.  Those days didn't just all of a sudden happen, either.  It built up, and the signs were there, but were ignored.

But I don't see the NYPD being tasked to beef-up presence because of these incidents anytime soon.

Only brought the 1970s in to illustrate the worst end of the scale.  Sure, that's not going to happen imminently.  But over a period of time, the effects will be felt.  Those days didn't just all of a sudden happen, either.  It built up, and the signs were there, but were ignored.

But I don't see the NYPD being tasked to beef-up presence because of these incidents anytime soon.

That and de Blasio is under the impression that there's no need to spend more to hire more police officers because he thinks crime isn't a problem at the moment.  Just shows how delusional he is.

Please find my earlier reply where I provided the survey methodology.

Note that the numbers are NOT glowing, that the survey was conducted by an independent firm, and that there was no press release of this information - I had to find it deep within a board presentation PDF.

Actually, uh...

NYPD to increase subway patrols 

quoted from http://www.fox5ny.com/news/84270877-story

POSTED:FEB 03 2016 04:49PM EST

UPDATED:FEB 04 2016 06:56AM EST

NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - Police Commissioner Bill Bratton says certain categories of crime went up in January including felonious assaults -- namely slashings. Nine incidents in January and two so far this month where innocent New Yorkers were cut by suspects with knives. All occurred underground either on the subway or the subway platform

Police brass will beef up the visibility of police amongst straphangers. Chief Jimmy O'Neal said more uniformed and plainclothes officers will be assigned underground.

Actually, uh...

Please. I RARELY see cops underground any more, and most of the time they're just standing around talking anyway instead of actively looking for problems.  Even with them being present at the Harlem 125th street Metro-North station, the panhandlers simply go onto the platform upstairs and beg there.  The last few weeks now I've been approached from afar and asked for money.  Last week I was heading home to Riverdale and about to board my train when some guy started asking me something that I couldn't understand, but it was clear that he was just trying to engage me in conversation to ask for money.  I ignored him and got on my train and got the hell out of there. People think they are so slick, but I know the games very well, so I'm always one step ahead.  Last night, while making my way to the platform, there was a guy in the stairwell asking everyone for money.  When I saw him, before he could get through his "brotha" routine, I immediately adjusted and secured my bag to make it clear that I was not giving anything and dared him to approach me as I would've simply went downstairs and notified the cops to have him taken out.  No need to get my hands dirty (literally and figuratively speaking).  That did the trick quite nicely.

Please. I RARELY see cops underground any more, and most of the time they're just standing around talking anyway instead of actively looking for problems. 

I mean, I see cops every day at columbus circle. I see cops most days on the 1. Hell, I got stopped by cops one day at 59/lex asking me about my knife. (it's a multitool. it's for work. they were fine)

But that's not my point. I'm agreeing that an increased presence is needed and noting an article from YESTERDAY where they say they're increasing presence. At least they're acknowledging there is a problem, and I think we have to give them more than 24 hours before we claim that their promise of increase presence is bogus. 

FWIW, if a panhandler is truly aggressive, and not simply panhandling - you'd do well to notify the cops. Thats what the red button on the help points is for. No need to even give your information.

Notice VG8 is really the only person on the forums that actually hopes homelessness and crime increases under DiBlasio...

Great American citizen, indeed.

That's a good one.  I don't have to "hope" for it because it's clearly happening.  The question is if blue hearts like yourself are so blinded by liberalism that you can't see it.

That and de Blasio is under the impression that there's no need to spend more to hire more police officers because he thinks crime isn't a problem at the moment.  Just shows how delusional he is.

They just added more than a thousand new cops. Read a newspaper once in a year or two.

They just added more than a thousand new cops. Read a newspaper once in a year or two.

That has nothing to do with his perception of crime though.  Furthermore, cops are always going to be graduating from the academy so that's a moot point.   He had the opportunity to hire even more than a 1,000 cops and failed to do so.

That has nothing to do with his perception of crime though.  Furthermore, cops are always going to be graduating from the academy so that's a moot point.   He had the opportunity to hire even more than a 1,000 cops and failed to do so.

No, that's not what I said. It's not that new cops graduated from the academy. He did, in fact, "hire even more than a [sic] 1,000 cops," as you so eloquently put. The force was increased by 1,297 officers for 2016, which you would have known, if, again, you read a newspaper once in a year or two. I'd be less snotty here if you weren't so willfully repeating misinformation. 

No, that's not what I said. It's not that new cops graduated from the academy. He did, in fact, "hire even more than a [sic] 1,000 cops," as you so eloquently put. The force was increased by 1,297 officers for 2016, which you would have known, if, again, you read a newspaper once in a year or two. I'd be less snotty here if you weren't so willfully repeating misinformation. 

Well if crime wasn't an issue he wouldn't need to hire more cops now would he?  I guess your claims that the city is so safe isn't true after all.  Looks like you need to practice what you preach and read a newspaper.  :D

Well if crime wasn't an issue he wouldn't need to hire more cops now would he?  I guess your claims that the city is so safe isn't true after all.  Looks like you need to practice what you preach and read a newspaper.  :D

Bad logic; not how that reasoning works. Furthermore, the time to patch the roof is when the sun is shining. 

I wonder if all the news coverage these slashings are getting is actually fostering copycats. I know it's illogical and crazy, but I'd bet there are those who would do this and hope to get caught just to get their face on TV by any means necessary. 

Copycats they are. Always happens. 

Archived